PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Thread Revival About Bad Baseball Announcers

krispoulin
08-03-2010, 11:01 PM
When I have a heart attack due to stress related to listening to the crap coming out of Hawk's mouth, I'm sending him the hospital bill.

Call the game; don't root and cheer and wish upon a star for every fly ball to "stretch".

Call the game in an interesting way, not with wannabe catch-phrases. I never want to hear another "Don't stop now boys", "He gone", "You can put it on the board, yes", "Don't have a cow, man", "chopper, two-hopper", "whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis", or "hang woof 'em".

(I actually like "right size, wrong shape", though.)

I used to be able to listen to the radio, but got tired of Farmer and DJ talking about their playing days.

Thank goodness for MLB.TV, where at least I can listen to the other team's broadcast.

asindc
08-04-2010, 08:14 AM
When I have a heart attack due to stress related to listening to the crap coming out of Hawk's mouth, I'm sending him the hospital bill.

Call the game; don't root and cheer and wish upon a star for every fly ball to "stretch".

Call the game in an interesting way, not with wannabe catch-phrases. I never want to hear another "Don't stop now boys", "He gone", "You can put it on the board, yes", "Don't have a cow, man", "chopper, two-hopper", "whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis", or "hang woof 'em".

I used to be able to listen to the radio, but got tired of Farmer and DJ talking about their playing days.

Thank goodness for MLB.TV, where at least I can listen to the other team's broadcast.

Thread-revive much?

Twins_Morneau
08-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Atleast Hawk shows some kinda emotion, are guys are always so even keel. Never question an ump, never question the managers decisions, on and on and on.

Carneyman14
08-04-2010, 09:01 AM
I love Hawk. When your watching a game its like he's one of your buds sitting next to you cheering the Sox on. Its great. I don't wanna know what some guys did last weekend.

I like how at some points in the game they shut up for 10 seconds when they have nothing of value to say and not drabble on like most announcers (Texas Rangers especially)

AnkleSox
08-04-2010, 09:13 AM
I love Hawk. When your watching a game its like he's one of your buds sitting next to you cheering the Sox on. Its great. I don't wanna know what some guys did last weekend.

I like how at some points in the game they shut up for 10 seconds when they have nothing of value to say and not drabble on like most announcers (Texas Rangers especially)

If one of my buds sitting next to me talked like Hawk does I would probably punch him 10 minutes into the game.

doublem23
08-04-2010, 09:17 AM
If one of my buds sitting next to me talked like Hawk does I would probably punch him 10 minutes into the game.

I'm torn on Hawk. While I don't mind the fact he is a huge homer (seriously, I like my announcers to root for their team, otherwise you end up with Joe Buck and Tim McCarver), he is a little to country-fied for me.

areilly
08-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Atleast Hawk shows some kinda emotion, are guys are always so even keel. Never question an ump, never question the managers decisions, on and on and on.

I wouldn't call what Hawk does "questioning" the ump. More like "blaming."

Madvora
08-04-2010, 10:08 AM
You know what... when people complain about Hawk cheering for the team, just think about John Rooney. He was cheering too. If you think that makes Rooney a bad announcer too, then you can stick with your argument, otherwise you just dislike Hawk because you find him annoying or something.

TheCommander
08-04-2010, 10:18 AM

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

hawkjt
08-04-2010, 10:33 AM

Use the mute button.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2010, 10:52 AM
I want my favorite team's announcer to be a homer.
Hawk is just like 99% of us here on WSI, we want the Sox to win and we die hard when they lose.

soltrain21
08-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I want my favorite team's announcer to be a homer.
Hawk is just like 99% of us here on WSI, we want the Sox to win and we die hard when they lose.

It's not that he is a fan. It's that he is a dreadful announcer that is basically a soundboard.

Zisk77
08-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I love Hawk. However their are 2 phrases I can't stand:

Dont' stop now boys...mostly because we usually do stop as soon as he says it and he seems to have fallen in love with it.

Stretch...just sounds like finger nails on the blackboard for me for some reason.

John Rooney was the best, I miss him. :whiner:

sox1970
08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Things I like about Hawk:
-He doesn't have a canned broadcaster voice.
-He calls the actual game just fine.
-He gawn
-You can put it on the board, yes (Just one yes)

Things I hate about Hawk:
-Complaining too much about umpires.
It's one thing to say something, but for innings at a time? Let it go.

-Don't stop now, boys.
This should be reserved for a rally when they're down, and he should never say it more than say, twice. He is out of control with this. He really needs an intervention.

-You got to be bleeping me!
The first time he said it was funny, and not planned. Once it becomes part of the routine, it becomes stupid. Knock it off.

-That's a Hazel Mae.
Ok, now you're just playing it up for the MLB Network crew.

Overall, Hawk is just obsessed with his own legacy and he's trying too hard to be known. He's become a caricature of himself, and for him, that's saying something. If he'd just reel it in, he'd be great again.

asindc
08-04-2010, 11:23 AM
It's not that he is a fan. It's that he is a dreadful announcer that is basically a soundboard.

If so, then the homerism is a non-issue that need not be used to criticize Hawk.

areilly
08-04-2010, 11:53 AM
You know what... when people complain about Hawk cheering for the team, just think about John Rooney. He was cheering too. If you think that makes Rooney a bad announcer too, then you can stick with your argument, otherwise you just dislike Hawk because you find him annoying or something.

Rooney also never made proclamations on par with Dan Plesac as best left-handed reliever ever or Darrin Erstad as the best all-around baseball player in the game today.

There's a difference between cheering and putting on the blinders. Farmer cheers for the Sox, but I don't recall him declaring, in July of 2007, that "there's no reason this team, as assembled, can't win 16, 17 of its next 18 games." In fact, I only recall one Sox broadcaster doing that.

WhiteSox5187
08-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm torn on Hawk. While I don't mind the fact he is a huge homer (seriously, I like my announcers to root for their team, otherwise you end up with Joe Buck and Tim McCarver), he is a little to country-fied for me.

You can be objective and still be a good announcer. Vin Scully is not a homer by any means and he's the best in the business. Joe Buck just sounds condescending while Tim McCarver is an idiot.

beasly213
08-04-2010, 12:42 PM
You can be objective and still be a good announcer. Vin Scully is not a homer by any means and he's the best in the business. Joe Buck just sounds condescending while Tim McCarver is an idiot.

Vin Scully drives me nuts. Him doing TV is like listening to a Radio broadcast. It's hard to listen to him as he is always talking. Although I think he does both TV and radio at the same time so it's not really his fault.

WhiteSox5187
08-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Vin Scully drives me nuts. Him doing TV is like listening to a Radio broadcast. It's hard to listen to him as he is always talking. Although I think he does both TV and radio at the same time so it's not really his fault.

He simulcasts the TV and radio broadcast. If you listen to some of his games when he was only doing TV like when he would broadcast the playoffs way back when, he's great.

Goose
08-04-2010, 12:53 PM
The problem with Hawk, and this has become more evident over the past few years, is not that he is a Homer, but that he comes up with what he considers to be a nice catch phrase and he does not let it go.

He has been saying "You can put it on the board" for years, but somehwere along the line, he added the "Yes". What became excruciating for me was when DJ chimed in with the "Yes" in unison. Almost like Hawk demanded it. A couple of years ago he added the double "Yes" at the end of a home run call and it has stuck. Why? What was wrong with the original? Why cant it be reserved for a walk-off or something?

The ole "Dont stop now, boys" is good when used sparingly. A big coming from behind rally, or something. Now, it is just overused and the problem with that is it is no longer special. I was watching a game the other day and he said "Don't stop now, boys" after only one hit. ONE! ***? Its almost like he has some grandchild at home that says to him "Grandpaw, I liked it when you said X", and Hawk just keeps doing it.

Don't get me started on "Stretch". That one got old real quick. He now uses it for warning track power. Urgh.

A good announcer knows when to use his key terms to keep in line with the emotion of the game. Hawk is not a good announcer, however.

I look forward to the day he hangs them up. If you're reading, Hawk, the sooner the better.

TDog
08-04-2010, 01:36 PM

Vin Scully is almost apologetic when he even approaches being a homer. Dodgers fans on both coasts have always appreciated that he was a Dodgers fan, nonetheless.

Ken Harrelson said recently that he wouldn't be a homer announcer if her weren't working in the Midwest, that Chicago has a different sensibility than the West Coast. He readily admits he couldn't get away with how he calls a game on the West Coast.

I've been told Harry Caray wasn't a homer in his season with the A's.

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2010, 01:14 AM
You can be objective and still be a good announcer. Vin Scully is not a homer by any means and he's the best in the business.I've never understood the Scully worship. He's INCREDIBLY dull. Almost a monotone. I've said this before, but I had a Dodgers game on my Extra Innings package one night a couple of years ago. My wife, who's a Sox fan but not a baseball fan and to whom the name Vin Scully means nothing, came in the room, stood there for a minute, and said "what's the deal with this guy?" and then made snoring noises.

Hawk overdoes some of the "catch phrases." I'm not a fan of "don't stop now, boys!" I think he should have left it at only one "yes!" at the end of his home run call. But "stretch?" I can't count the number of times I've yelled "get up" when there's a well-hit ball. How is that different than "stretch?"

johnnyg83
08-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I was in FLA last week and had the displeasure of listening to Dewayne Statts on all the Rays games. He was flat, obvious and verging on dumb.

PeteWard
08-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Harrelson should announce for the Rangers or Astros. His bull**** act would be perfect for that ****hole of a state.

elrod
08-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Oh, I love the country in him. Of course, I live in East Tennessee where a guy like Hawk sounds like a city slicker compared to some of the mountain folk around here... I just don't like the overuse of cliches.

PeteWard
08-05-2010, 09:50 PM
I've never understood the Scully worship. He's INCREDIBLY dull. Almost a monotone. I've said this before, but I had a Dodgers game on my Extra Innings package one night a couple of years ago. My wife, who's a Sox fan but not a baseball fan and to whom the name Vin Scully means nothing, came in the room, stood there for a minute, and said "what's the deal with this guy?" and then made snoring noises.

Hawk overdoes some of the "catch phrases." I'm not a fan of "don't stop now, boys!" I think he should have left it at only one "yes!" at the end of his home run call. But "stretch?" I can't count the number of times I've yelled "get up" when there's a well-hit ball. How is that different than "stretch?"

Agreed on Scully--I never understood the worship there-- and perhaps I should temper my Hawkhate by saying I pretty much don't like any announcer these days. I'm just an old man who can't get over Harry & Jimmy leaving in the 80s :rolleyes: .

I do like Farmer though. Funny as hell w/o trying too hard and does a good solid call of the game. A muted homer, which is ok. DJ is just bizarre. I kinda like Jonathan Miller on ESPN Sunday ball.

elrod
08-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Hawk is actually funniest when the Sox blow a lead. When Raburn hit the 3-run tying HR off Jenks Hawk said, "That ball's hit deep..." And then silence. Pure emotional drag, just as I felt at home.

Tone down the cliches and Hawk is great.

asindc
08-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Hawk is actually funniest when the Sox blow a lead. When Raburn hit the 3-run tying HR off Jenks Hawk said, "That ball's hit deep..." And then silence. Pure emotional drag, just as I felt at home.

Tone down the cliches and Hawk is great.

Farmer did the exact same thing on that play.

Bob Roarman
08-05-2010, 10:27 PM
The real problem with Hawk isn't his phrases or even really him being a homer, its him being a lot of the time flat out wrong about baseball. In just about all aspects. You can be dull or excited or whatever style you choose as long as you know what you're talking about. You can't not know what you're talking about and have that job. That's what it ultimately comes down to.

jdm2662
08-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Rooney also never made proclamations on par with Dan Plesac as best left-handed reliever ever or Darrin Erstad as the best all-around baseball player in the game today.

There's a difference between cheering and putting on the blinders. Farmer cheers for the Sox, but I don't recall him declaring, in July of 2007, that "there's no reason this team, as assembled, can't win 16, 17 of its next 18 games." In fact, I only recall one Sox broadcaster doing that.

Yep, and there is where Hawk is an embarassment. I don't care that he's a homer. There is nothing wrong with that. Hell, cheese boy himself Wayne Laravie pretended to cheer for the Bears/Bulls during his time in Chicago. The respective teams signed his pay check. The stuff come out of his mouth half of the time is an insult to my intelligence. And, I don't even pretend to be a baseball expert. His latest one is saying AJ is the best catcher in baseball. Um, no. He's not even the best catcher in the division. And, I don't even want to get into his theories on how the how the whole world is against the Sox. The only time he ever blames the Sox for anything is when they make errors. I seriously have to wonder if he really thinks the **** he spews is real.

I will admit he's a little more tollerable the last couple of years, but that's because he is working with Stone. Stone is a pro, and Hawk can't thump his chest and ego when working in the booth with him. He actually has to work now.

TomBradley72
08-06-2010, 11:05 AM
To each his own.

I watch just about every game (live or on TiVO) over the course of the season...I like Hawk because he makes it fun and he makes me laugh (sometimes shaking my head over the cliches or umps, etc.).

I've lived around the country..so between that and the Extra Innings package, I've heard a ton of local announcers...most of them are completely bland, boring and bring very few unique insights into the game.

He's far from perfect...but I'll take Hawk over 90% of the local announcers I've heard.

Bob Roarman
08-06-2010, 07:36 PM
But.....it's not about him being mad at umps for bad calls or his cliches and catch phrases that makes him a bad announcer. It's that he is consistently WRONG about baseball. Just about every game he will spout off a handful of things that are just flat out WRONG. I guess if you want to count "wrong" as "unique" then you have a point. But in my world being wrong about the sport you annouce for doesn't make you fun and unique, it makes you a bad sports announcer.

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2010, 12:21 AM
But.....it's not about him being mad at umps for bad calls or his cliches and catch phrases that makes him a bad announcer. It's that he is consistently WRONG about baseball. Just about every game he will spout off a handful of things that are just flat out WRONG. I guess if you want to count "wrong" as "unique" then you have a point. But in my world being wrong about the sport you annouce for doesn't make you fun and unique, it makes you a bad sports announcer.You can be "wrong" about facts. You can't be "wrong" about opinions. Everything people have cited are just his opinions. You might disagree with them, and I might agree with you, but they're opinions.

GoGoCrede
08-07-2010, 12:31 AM
T

Don't get me started on "Stretch". That one got old real quick. He now uses it for warning track power. Urgh.

This is driving me slowly insane. I don't recall him using it this much in recent years. Now every warning track shot seems to warrant a "Stretch!"

Bob Roarman
08-07-2010, 12:59 AM
You can be "wrong" about facts. You can't be "wrong" about opinions. Everything people have cited are just his opinions. You might disagree with them, and I might agree with you, but they're opinions.

I hate that line of thinking. Anyone can "dress up" just about anything as only an opinion and think they are safe from being called out. I'm sorry but thinking stuff like AJ being one of the best catchers in the game or Juan Pierre can really "throw leather" out there in left field, you're wrong about baseball. I don't care if it's your opinion, it shouldn't shield you from being WRONG when today there are mountains and mountains of stats that prove you WRONG with those insane "opinions".

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2010, 01:08 AM
I hate that line of thinking. Anyone can "dress up" just about anything as only an opinion and think they are safe from being called out. I'm sorry but thinking stuff like AJ being one of the best catchers in the game or Juan Pierre can really "throw leather" out there in left field, you're wrong about baseball. I don't care if it's your opinion, it shouldn't shield you from being WRONG when today there are mountains and mountains of stats that prove you WRONG with those insane "opinions".There are very few defensive stats that are worth a crap. I think Pierre plays a very good defensive left field other than having a very weak arm. So you and I disagree; that doesn't make either of us "wrong." I don't care how much you hate it.

krispoulin
09-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Thread-revive much?

If I'd started a new thread airing my complaints, I would have gotten told to "use the search function".

Take your pick.

krispoulin
09-11-2010, 12:06 AM
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Agreed. The earth is not flat, the economy is a mess, and Hawk's a crap announcer.

krispoulin
09-11-2010, 12:09 AM
The problem with Hawk, and this has become more evident over the past few years, is not that he is a Homer, but that he comes up with what he considers to be a nice catch phrase and he does not let it go.

He has been saying "You can put it on the board" for years, but somehwere along the line, he added the "Yes". What became excruciating for me was when DJ chimed in with the "Yes" in unison. Almost like Hawk demanded it. A couple of years ago he added the double "Yes" at the end of a home run call and it has stuck. Why? What was wrong with the original? Why cant it be reserved for a walk-off or something?

The ole "Dont stop now, boys" is good when used sparingly. A big coming from behind rally, or something. Now, it is just overused and the problem with that is it is no longer special. I was watching a game the other day and he said "Don't stop now, boys" after only one hit. ONE! ***? Its almost like he has some grandchild at home that says to him "Grandpaw, I liked it when you said X", and Hawk just keeps doing it.

A good announcer knows when to use his key terms to keep in line with the emotion of the game. Hawk is not a good announcer, however.

I look forward to the day he hangs them up. If you're reading, Hawk, the sooner the better.

Agreed. And another problem with Hawk, related to the things you list, is that I can usually tell you what he's going to say (which catch phrase he's going to choose) before he says it. It's like browsing through bumper stickers at truck stop; you've read them all before.

krispoulin
09-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Use the mute button.

Read my whole post.

WSox597
09-11-2010, 08:08 AM

I used to think the same thing. Then I worked with guys from all over the South. Not one of them sounds anything like Harrelson.

You hear various expressions that are pure Southern, but Hawk is unique in his mannerisms.

I'm already sick of "Don't stop now, boys!"

My wife likes it though.

SI1020
09-11-2010, 10:20 AM
To each his own.

I watch just about every game (live or on TiVO) over the course of the season...I like Hawk because he makes it fun and he makes me laugh (sometimes shaking my head over the cliches or umps, etc.).

I've lived around the country..so between that and the Extra Innings package, I've heard a ton of local announcers...most of them are completely bland, boring and bring very few unique insights into the game.

He's far from perfect...but I'll take Hawk over 90% of the local announcers I've heard. To that I can agree. Most modern announcers are banal and boring to the point that they take the fun out of the game for me. I'll take Hawk, with all his flaws over the lot of them. That being said, I'd take John Rooney over any Sox announcer since the Harry and Jimmy era.

Brian26
09-11-2010, 02:12 PM
He has been saying "You can put it on the board" for years, but somehwere along the line, he added the "Yes". What became excruciating for me was when DJ chimed in with the "Yes" in unison. Almost like Hawk demanded it.

I liked the in-unison "yes", and I felt like it happened spontaneously once after a really big homer and just stuck. I never felt like it was demanded/scripted.