PDA

View Full Version : The Employee signs with the Orange County Flyers

DrCrawdad
08-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Mark "The Employee" Prior has signed with the (independent) Golden League Orange County Flyers as a set-up man. (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/08/mark-prior-signs-with-independent-league-team.html) How the arrogant and mighty have fallen.

Dub25
08-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Mark "The Employee" Prior has signed with the (independent) Golden League Orange County Flyers as a set-up man. (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/08/mark-prior-signs-with-independent-league-team.html) How the arrogant and mighty have fallen.

Wow, 2003 NLCS Game 6 starter to where???

Rohan
08-04-2010, 02:19 AM
I'm speechless...

He'd be better off writing a book or something.

doublem23
08-04-2010, 05:41 AM
I'm speechless...

He'd be better off writing a book or something.

Dude just wants to play baseball. I'm sure as long as he's smart with his money, he made enough to live on for a while from his playing days, so what's the harm? Hell, if I didn't have to worry about money and had the talent, I would totally try and latch on with some independent minor league baseball team. A summer playing ball? That would be awesome.

soxfanreggie
08-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Dude just wants to play baseball. I'm sure as long as he's smart with his money, he made enough to live on for a while from his playing days, so what's the harm? Hell, if I didn't have to worry about money and had the talent, I would totally try and latch on with some independent minor league baseball team. A summer playing ball? That would be awesome.

This. Maybe he's a changed man. He likely isn't going to return to his old form, but you never know until you give it a shot. I'm sure his contract provides some sort of attendance escalator built in somehow.

g0g0
08-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Sad to see. I hope he makes it back. It'd be nice if he could do it with the Padres.

kittle42
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
When was Prior so arrogant?

spawn
08-04-2010, 10:03 AM

I was wondering he same thing. I liked him. I felt bad he didn't have a longer career in the majors.

doublem23
08-04-2010, 10:09 AM

He took that line drive off his elbow like a douchebag.

Mendoza Line
08-04-2010, 10:35 AM

Pretty sure it has to do with his refusal to sign autographs at a Naperville Just Ducky store back in 2004. I believe fans paid $200 for the opportunity to have him sign a baseball, and he flat out refused to do it. I am not sure if he ever stated his reason, but he had to pay $40,000 in damages after Just Ducky sued him.

ewokpelts
08-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Pretty sure it has to do with his refusal to sign autographs at a Naperville Just Ducky store back in 2004. I believe fans paid $200 for the opportunity to have him sign a baseball, and he flat out refused to do it. I am not sure if he ever stated his reason, but he had to pay $40,000 in damages after Just Ducky sued him.the event promoter screwed that up. he was paid to sign some cubs collectible that the store was selling, NOT balls or flats.

ChicagoRushFan
08-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Yeah for all the people to hold a grudge against.... Mark Prior? Really? I give him credit or going out there and pitching again.

kittle42
08-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah for all the people to hold a grudge against.... Mark Prior? Really? I give him credit or going out there and pitching again.

Eh, it's Crawdad. He'd come up with a reason not to want Ernie Banks in his prime on the White Sox. :D:

SOXPHILE
08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Hmmm...I hear he has perfect mechanics. He should be up to the majors in no time......

WhiteSox5187
08-04-2010, 01:42 PM
He was a jerk. When I worked at Wrigley Field as an usher guys like Kerry Wood would go out of their way to talk to ushers and to fans in the stands, Greg Maddux was approachable at least and would respond if you said "Hello" or something. Prior wouldn't talk to anyone, would never sign autographs. He was a jerk.

Craig Grebeck
08-04-2010, 01:45 PM
He was a jerk. When I worked at Wrigley Field as an usher guys like Kerry Wood would go out of their way to talk to ushers and to fans in the stands, Greg Maddux was approachable at least and would respond if you said "Hello" or something. Prior wouldn't talk to anyone, would never sign autographs. He was a jerk.
Welp, that settles it.

downstairs
08-04-2010, 06:24 PM

I don't think that's fair. Some players just want to concentrate. They ARE at work, ya know. When I'm at work I don't like being bothered.

Medford Bobby
08-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Maybe a better reason to attend a Tucson Toros game of the Golden Baseball League this summer.:o:

WhiteSox5187
08-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I don't think that's fair. Some players just want to concentrate. They ARE at work, ya know. When I'm at work I don't like being bothered.

It's not like he would only do this on the days he would start. I dunno, I was always impressed with how polite and nice guys like Kerry Wood, Greg Maddux and Matt Clement were with ushers and fans in general. It wasn't uncommon for Wood or Clement to start conversations with ushers after finishing their bullpen sessions (which was typically half an hour before the park opened) and that always impressed me. I think it's a good way of measuring how polite someone is is how they treat the lowest members of an organization which is what ushers were and are. I can understand if a player is just quiet, but Prior was just rude.

A great example of this was at the Cubs convention (which was hell to work at), at the autograph session the players were supposed to sign something like half an hour. Prior showed up ten minutes late and left five minutes early. Kerry Wood on the other hand signed until everyone in line got their autograph and when it was announced Zambrano would be late (his flight got delayed) Kerry Wood said he'd sign until Carlos showed up. That impressed me and still impresses me, Wood was the face of the franchise at that point and went out of his way to be polite to everyone and anyone. Prior who was another face of the franchise was aloof and bordered on rude.

DrCrawdad
08-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Sad to see. I hope he makes it back. It'd be nice if he could do it with the Padres.

I agree. I'd be glad for The Employee if he were to make it back to MLB.

Eh, it's Crawdad. He'd come up with a reason not to want Ernie Banks in his prime on the White Sox. :D:

Hey I apologize if I hurt your feelings by damaging the reputation of one of your heroes.

soltrain21
08-05-2010, 12:44 AM
It's not like he would only do this on the days he would start. I dunno, I was always impressed with how polite and nice guys like Kerry Wood, Greg Maddux and Matt Clement were with ushers and fans in general. It wasn't uncommon for Wood or Clement to start conversations with ushers after finishing their bullpen sessions (which was typically half an hour before the park opened) and that always impressed me. I think it's a good way of measuring how polite someone is is how they treat the lowest members of an organization which is what ushers were and are. I can understand if a player is just quiet, but Prior was just rude.

A great example of this was at the Cubs convention (which was hell to work at), at the autograph session the players were supposed to sign something like half an hour. Prior showed up ten minutes late and left five minutes early. Kerry Wood on the oth
er hand signed until everyone in line got their autograph and when it was announced Zambrano would be late (his flight got delayed) Kerry Wood said he'd sign until Carlos showed up. That impressed me and still impresses me, Wood was the face of the franchise at that point and went out of his way to be polite to everyone and anyone. Prior who was another face of the franchise was aloof and bordered on rude.

His elbow hurt after four autographs

WhiteSox5187
08-05-2010, 01:44 AM
His elbow hurt after four autographs

:thumbsup:

MUsoxfan
08-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Any guy that was what he was, and made the money that he did....to go and pitch in ****ball, I have to admire in a way. Good for him

Iwritecode
08-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Where did this "employee" nickname come from? :scratch:

kittle42
08-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey I apologize if I hurt your feelings by damaging the reputation of one of your heroes.

He's only my No. 2 after Brian Anderson.

DrCrawdad
08-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Where did this "employee" nickname come from? :scratch:

Several years ago Prior was not happy with his situation and called himself simply an employee and said that matters were out of his hands, as an employee. I've heard him referred to as "The Employee" since then.

As a reference I did a quick Google search, note this post (http://www.fogpog.com/showthread.php?t=1183) that has a quote from a ChicagoSports.com article (can't post the contents here). Prior referred to himself several times as an employee.

kittle42
08-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Several years ago Prior was not happy with his situation and called himself simply an employee and said that matters were out of his hands, as an employee. I've heard him referred to as "The Employee" since then.

Heard where? Reminds me of The Office...

"Poor... little guy... has been stuck working under Josh... the poor man's Michael Scott, as he is known around my condo." - Michael Scott