PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn hits the waiver wire

Baron
08-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Buster_ESPN

Rays or White Sox or Yankees ever get a shot at Dunn, who is working on his seventh straight year of 38 or more homers.
less than a minute ago via web
Reply Retweet

Buster_ESPN
is that multiple NL teams will put in a claim on him -- Rockies? Giants? -- and that there is no chance that AL teams like the (more)
1 minute ago via web

Buster_ESPN
Heard this: Adam Dunn hit the waiver wire today, giving teams 48 hours to place claims on the slugger -- and the wide expectation (more)
2 minutes ago via web

There we go....although I doubt we get him

soltrain21
08-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Every player hits the waiver wire for the most part.

Zakath
08-03-2010, 01:47 PM
We're about 20th in line, correct? Or is it based on position in division vs. overall record?

kittle42
08-03-2010, 01:51 PM
It's NL last to first, then AL last to first, correct?

In any event, he'll get claimed before he ever gets to the Sox. Manny is a much more likely candidate to slip through, though I could see the Twins trying to block.

jej254
08-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Any player under contract may be placed on waivers at any time. If a player is waived, any team may claim him. If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference. In the first month of the season, preference is determined using the previous year's standings.
If a team claims a player off waivers and has the viable claim as described above, his current team (the "waiving team") may choose one of the following options:

arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim; or
rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or
do nothing and allow the claiming team to (1) assume the player's existing contract, (2) pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and (3) place the player on its active major league roster.

If a player is claimed and the waiving team exercises its rescission option, the waiving team may not use the option again for that player in that season. If no team claims a player from waivers in three business days, the player has cleared waivers and may be assigned to a minor league team, traded, or released outright.
The waiver "wire" is a secret within the personnel of the Major League Baseball clubs; no announcement of a waiver is made until a transaction actually occurs. Many players are often quietly waived during the August "waiver-required" trading period to gauge trade interest in a particular player. Usually, when the player is claimed, the waiving team will rescind the waiver to avoid losing the player unless a trade can be worked out with the claiming team

cws05champ
08-03-2010, 01:57 PM
It's NL last to first, then AL last to first, correct?

In any event, he'll get claimed before he ever gets to the Sox. Manny is a much more likely candidate to slip through, though I could see the Twins trying to block.

But Manny probably wont be put on waivers until later in the month when the Dodgers have a better idea if they are in it or not. The Nats know they are out of it.

Shoeless_Jim
08-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Report from @buster_espn: Adam Dunn put on waiver wire by Nationals.

dickallen15
08-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Non story.

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Non story.

This. Of course he hit the waiver wire.

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 02:28 PM

getonbckthr
08-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Well its a story, somewhat.

rowand33
08-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Buster Olney reports: http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/20241888531

Clubs have 48 hours to claim him.

Odds the Sox will?

chisoxjtrain
08-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Odds the Sox will?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122391

soltrain21
08-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Odds the Sox will?

Zero. He will be claimed before the Sox have a chance. And even if the Sox claim him it doesn't really mean anything.

DumpJerry
08-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Threads merged and placed in WTS because it is never public information who is on the waiver wire until someone changes teams as a result of the waiver wire. Therefore, it is only a rumor that Dunn is on the waiver wire.

getonbckthr
08-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Zero. He will be claimed before the Sox have a chance. And even if the Sox claim him it doesn't really mean anything.
Same assumption however I wonder who before us would claim him? Minnesota?

Baron
08-03-2010, 02:47 PM

Giants in the NL maybe the Tigers if he gets to the AL

kaufsox
08-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Saw this on the Twitter feed. Let the speculation begin!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/adam-dunn-placed-on-waivers.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

asindc
08-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Would they risk having to eat the remainder of Thome's salary and pay Dunn the remainder of his 2010 salary?

GoGoCrede
08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Already a thread in WTS. :smile:

doublem23
08-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Would they risk having to eat the remainder of Thome's salary and pay Dunn the remainder of his 2010 salary?

How much could they possibly owe Thome for the rest of this season? $200,000?

asindc
08-03-2010, 02:57 PM
How much could they possibly owe Thome for the rest of this season? $200,000?

I think it would probably be more like 500K, but it's not just that, of course. It's paying Dunn the remainder of his $12 million salary.

doublem23
08-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I think it would probably be more like 500K, but it's not just that, of course. It's paying Dunn the remainder of his $12 million salary.

The Twins have been saying this new park is going to allow them to take on a lot more payroll than they have in the past.

hawkjt
08-03-2010, 03:09 PM
The Twins have been saying this new park is going to allow them to take on a lot more payroll than they have in the past.

Let them claim him....he would only be marginally better than Thome,and would be bad on defense if he has to play first. Not a Twins kind of player.

guillensdisciple
08-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I really really hope this thread does not get past page 5.

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Who cares about the Twins? Someone in the NL will claim him.

balke
08-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Who cares about the Twins? Someone in the NL will claim him.

What do the Twins have to even offer that wouldn't hurt them right now? Rizzo's demands are ridiculous. Or do you not trade players via waiver wire process?

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 03:18 PM
What do the Twins have to even offer that wouldn't hurt them right now? Rizzo's demands are ridiculous. Or do you not trade players via waiver wire process?

Whoever claims him can trade for him, no one else. 15 NL teams and 10 AL teams can claim him before the White Sox. If any of those 25 teams claim him, the Sox are out of it. So in other words, the Sox are out of it.

And yet I'll bet this thread still gets 15 pages of nonsense.

EDIT:15 NL teams, Nats can't claim him lol

asindc
08-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Whoever claims him can trade for him, no one else. 15 NL teams and 10 AL teams can claim him before the White Sox. If any of those 25 teams claim him, the Sox are out of it. So in other words, the Sox are out of it.

And yet I'll bet this thread still gets 15 pages of nonsense.

EDIT:15 NL teams, Nats can't claim him lol

If I'm not mistaken, if the claiming team does not work out something with the waiving team, that does not preclude the remaining teams from putting in a claim. I could be wrong, but if I am, why wouldn't any team chasing someone in a pennant race just claim whomever is out there to make sure the team(s) ahead of them could not?

doublem23
08-03-2010, 03:27 PM

If a team claims Dunn, they have 2 days to work out a trade with the Nats, otherwise the Nats either have to rescind putting him on waivers, keeping him and not being able to put him on waivers for the rest of the year, or they let him go and the teams just picks up the player and his contract for nothing.

If he somehow clears waivers, he can be traded to any team, but only, of course, for other players who have cleared waivers, if they are on a 25-man active roster.

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 03:35 PM
If I'm not mistaken, if the claiming team does not work out something with the waiving team, that does not preclude the remaining teams from putting in a claim. I could be wrong, but if I am, why wouldn't any team chasing someone in a pennant race just claim whomever is out there to make sure the team(s) ahead of them could not?

You would be incorrect. One team is awarded the claim. That's it.

Lots of guys are claimed to block other teams for getting them. But you can't claim everyone. The team who put the player on waivers may decide to just let you have the player a la Alex Rios last season.

getonbckthr
08-03-2010, 03:37 PM
If they claim him it will mean the Sox can't get him then.

Moses_Scurry
08-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Dumb question:
Even if he were to clear waivers, why would we think that Kenny could make a deal for him if he couldn't do it before?

kittle42
08-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Dumb question:
Even if he were to clear waivers, why would we think that Kenny could make a deal for him if he couldn't do it before?

Exactly. This is a moot discussion twice over - (1) he won't get to the Sox; (2) they won't be able to get him even if he did.

LoveYourSuit
08-03-2010, 04:12 PM
I would not trade Viciedo for him. Not even straigt up.

guillensdisciple
08-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I would not trade Viciedo for him. Not even straigt up.

I agree, good job by Kenny to recognize that both Beckham and Viciedo don't deserve being traded and could end up being much more beneficial to the Sox for years to come.

We have a really nice core right now. Something tells me Viciedo will be replacing Konerko at first, unless the Vizquel effect happens to Viciedo the way it did to Ramirez.

Would like to see him shed a few pounds too, but man can he swing that bat.

UofCSoxFan
08-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Maybe we should just sticky the first 4 responses that detail how every year almost every player is put on waivers and pulled back since there is no downside to doing this, aside from your GM going on a 2 day bender and 'forgetting' to pull the guy back...don't think that would happen. People overreact to this every year. I can't wait for the report the Danks or Beckham was put on waivers.

If by some miracle the Sox claimed Dunn and Washington let him walk, I'm sure 70% of people would think we claimed him just to block Tampa or New York.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2010, 08:28 PM
It would be sweet poetic justice if the Dodgers put Manny on waivers, and the Twins claimed him to block the Sox, and then the Dodgers let the Twins have him, and thus be stuck with that cancer in their clubhouse.

Brian26
08-03-2010, 08:54 PM
If by some miracle the Sox claimed Dunn and Washington let him walk, I'm sure 70% of people would think we claimed him just to block Tampa or New York.

Washington, in letting him walk, would be giving up a rather affordable salary for the remainder of the year, in addition to letting two draft picks walk out the door. This would be completely different than the Alex Rios situation last year, where the Blue Jays were more than happy to get rid of a large, long-term contract.

Not going to happen. Abreu's not going to make it to the White Sox either if he goes on waivers.

UofCSoxFan
08-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Washington, in letting him walk, would be giving up a rather affordable salary for the remainder of the year, in addition to letting two draft picks walk out the door. This would be completely different than the Alex Rios situation last year, where the Blue Jays were more than happy to get rid of a large, long-term contract.

Not going to happen. Abreu's not going to make it to the White Sox either if he goes on waivers.

I was being sarcastic since most posters here think the Sox only claimed Rios to block Detroit last year, ignoring the fact, as you point out, that the Sox had to have known Toronto would be motivated to let him walk and that blocking him would be a $60 million risk, not a smaller risk for 1 year in blocking a guy like Dunn....Short and simple, there is no way the Sox claimed Rios only to block Detroit, just like if the Sox grabbed Dunn it would be because they actually wanted him, not to block another team.

Dunn will never make it past Minnesota anyway (or about 5 or 6 other teams).

Brian26
08-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Dunn will never make it past Minnesota anyway (or about 5 or 6 other teams).

Dunn probably wouldn't make it out of the National League.

ndgt10
08-03-2010, 09:31 PM
So each team has 48 hours to claim him? Even if he makes it to us the season will be almost over, lmao.

kittle42
08-03-2010, 11:29 PM
So each team has 48 hours to claim him? Even if he makes it to us the season will be almost over, lmao.

No, all other 29 teams have a simultaneous 48-hour window.

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2010, 12:13 AM
If I'm not mistaken, if the claiming team does not work out something with the waiving team, that does not preclude the remaining teams from putting in a claim. I could be wrong, but if I am, why wouldn't any team chasing someone in a pennant race just claim whomever is out there to make sure the team(s) ahead of them could not?No, there is nothing to "work out." If you put a player on waivers, and I put in a claim for him, there are only two outcomes. You withdraw the waivers and keep your player (I believe you can put him back on waivers a second time, but then it's irrevocable) or you say "okay, he's yours" and I get him and whatever his contract is.

The reason everybody doesn't put in a blocking claim is because then they might be stuck with a player they don't want.

Coops4Aces
08-04-2010, 12:21 AM
No, there is nothing to "work out." If you put a player on waivers, and I put in a claim for him, there are only two outcomes. You withdraw the waivers and keep your player (I believe you can put him back on waivers a second time, but then it's irrevocable) or you say "okay, he's yours" and I get him and whatever his contract is.

The reason everybody doesn't put in a blocking claim is because then they might be stuck with a player they don't want.

This is wrong.

If you claim someone and are awarded the claim, you can make a trade for that player. There is absolutely something to work out.

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2010, 12:28 AM
This is wrong.

If you claim someone and are awarded the claim, you can make a trade for that player. There is absolutely something to work out.You're right about that, my mistake, but if we don't "work something out," and I don't withdraw my claim, teams higher than me can't step in with a claim. It goes back to either giving me the player or taking him off waivers.

Coops4Aces
08-04-2010, 12:31 AM
You're right about that, my mistake, but if we don't "work something out," and I don't withdraw my claim, teams higher than me can't step in with a claim. It goes back to either giving me the player or taking him off waivers.

Yup, which is why Dunn will get nowhere near the Sox.

Iwritecode
08-04-2010, 09:26 AM
You're right about that, my mistake, but if we don't "work something out," and I don't withdraw my claim, teams higher than me can't step in with a claim. It goes back to either giving me the player or taking him off waivers.

Can teams withdraw their claim? I thought that was one of the risks of making a waiver claim to block another team. The team putting the player on waivers can say "fine, take him" and then you are stuck with a player you really didn't want.

ndgt10
08-04-2010, 10:21 AM
No, all other 29 teams have a simultaneous 48-hour window.

So what if the team 1st in the pecking order takes all 48 hours and doesnt give another team a shot?

I guess I will just make it simple: how much time does each team individually have to make a decision?

TDog
08-04-2010, 10:41 AM

It's not a huge risk. The Twins would certainly want to block Dunn from going to the White Sox, taking the slight chance of being stuck with him for the rest of this season because they could surely get something for him in trade during the offseason. The reason Dunn hasn't been traded isn't that teams don't want to trade for him and his contract, but that they don't want to give up the asking price. The White Sox have shown they will claim big contracts off of waivers when they acquired Rios, and there wasn't great demand for Rios and his contract at the time.

That's assuming he is cleared out of the National League, which is more competitive this year than the American League.

The Nationals aren't going to simply let him go for the waiver price if they wouldn't agree to the deals teams were offering a couple of weeks ago. But if they did, the Twins could easily turn a talent profit.

By the same token, a non-contending team could claim Dunn off waivers, looking to acquire him for the waiver price and turn him over for more talent. A team rebuilding for next year could put in a claim for Dunn because he will remain under contract. Or a team barely in the race like the A's could upgrade tremendously over Jack Cust (who started the season at Sacramento after no one wanted him and he signed a minor league contract with the team that let him go) -- or at least tell their fans they are upgrading while they in fact are planning to turn him over for more young talent.

No one is going to get Dunn simply by claiming him off waivers, but there are a few reasons for more than a few teams to claim him.

If the White Sox didn't pick him up in July, it will be even harder for them to pick him up in August.

Coops4Aces
08-04-2010, 10:45 AM
So what if the team 1st in the pecking order takes all 48 hours and doesnt give another team a shot?

I guess I will just make it simple: how much time does each team individually have to make a decision?

Every team can make a claim on him in the 48 hour period. Then the team with the worst record in the player's league (in Dunn's case the NL) is awarded the claim. If no one in that player's league makes a claim, then it goes to the worst record in the other league. Only one team is awarded the claim. So for example, if the Pirates make a claim on Dunn, the rest of the MLB has no chance.

Iwritecode
08-04-2010, 10:46 AM

Any team can put in a claim at any time within the 48 hour window. If more than one team makes a claim, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference.

Moses_Scurry
08-04-2010, 10:59 AM
How do GM's know which players are put on waivers? Is there a website they have to go to? Is it at all possible that GM's might not realize somebody has been put on waivers or would that just be way too incompetent?

MisterB
08-04-2010, 11:22 AM
How do GM's know which players are put on waivers? Is there a website they have to go to? Is it at all possible that GM's might not realize somebody has been put on waivers or would that just be way too incompetent?

I would assume it all goes through the League Office. The waiving team lets the League know who's being waived, and the other teams' GMs check in with the L.O. regularly (daily at the very least) to see who's on the list.

asindc
08-04-2010, 11:28 AM
It's not a huge risk. The Twins would certainly want to block Dunn from going to the White Sox, taking the slight chance of being stuck with him for the rest of this season because they could surely get something for him in trade during the offseason. The reason Dunn hasn't been traded isn't that teams don't want to trade for him and his contract, but that they don't want to give up the asking price. The White Sox have shown they will claim big contracts off of waivers when they acquired Rios, and there wasn't great demand for Rios and his contract at the time.

That's assuming he is cleared out of the National League, which is more competitive this year than the American League.

The Nationals aren't going to simply let him go for the waiver price if they wouldn't agree to the deals teams were offering a couple of weeks ago. But if they did, the Twins could easily turn a talent profit.

By the same token, a non-contending team could claim Dunn off waivers, looking to acquire him for the waiver price and turn him over for more talent. A team rebuilding for next year could put in a claim for Dunn because he will remain under contract. Or a team barely in the race like the A's could upgrade tremendously over Jack Cust (who started the season at Sacramento after no one wanted him and he signed a minor league contract with the team that let him go) -- or at least tell their fans they are upgrading while they in fact are planning to turn him over for more young talent.

No one is going to get Dunn simply by claiming him off waivers, but there are a few reasons for more than a few teams to claim him.

If the White Sox didn't pick him up in July, it will be even harder for them to pick him up in August.

Oh, I get all that, but I bolded the text above because it should be noted that the only way any team claiming Dunn on waivers can get anything for him after the season would be to sign him to an extension during the season and trade him after the season, or somehow re-sign him after the season is over and then trade him.

mjmcend
08-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Oh, I get all that, but I bolded the text above because it should be noted that the only way any team claiming Dunn on waivers can get anything for him after the season would be to sign him to an extension during the season and trade him after the season, or somehow re-sign him after the season is over and then trade him.

Yeah, he is a free agent at the end of the year. However, the team still does get something if he walks (and the offer arbitration), two high draft picks. Any team that is worth its salt would love to have those picks for the $4MM or so left on Dunn's contract this year. Those picks, however, are the exact reasons why the Nationals would never let Dunn walk for nothing.

kjhanson
08-04-2010, 12:29 PM

Facebook and Twitter.

spawn
08-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Facebook and Twitter.

:thumbsup:

TDog
08-04-2010, 01:24 PM

You're right. That bolded point was more generic for valued players on waivers. Nonetheless, if there is a player in high demand -- and Dunn was rumored to be desired by teams (geographically) from San Francisco to Tampa Bay -- there isn't much risk in a team being stuck with his contract simply because they put in a claim. Unless the rules have changed, there is nothing prohibiting a last place team from claiming him and placing him on waivers again so they can trade him to a team they blocked.

It used to be a courtesy for teams not to block players on waivers. Now that seems to be bordering on collusion, ignoring a player's apparent availability out of a courtesy to other teams.

Some entire teams are placed on revocable waivers for a couple of reasons -- to gauge teams' interest in them and to make it easier to make a waiver deal later in the season. Some teams also place their entire roster on revocable waivers to hide players they hope don't get noticed. Obviously, none of that really applies with Dunn.

Iwritecode
08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Can teams withdraw their claim? I thought that was one of the risks of making a waiver claim to block another team. The team putting the player on waivers can say "fine, take him" and then you are stuck with a player you really didn't want.

I finally found my answer from an old 2004 article by Jayson Stark. There is no such thing as withdrawing a claim (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1860265). :o:

That's why many players with bad contracts pass through.

cards press box
08-04-2010, 04:36 PM

I agree and, what's more, if the Sox pick up a lefty hitter to DH prior to August 31, they are much more likely to acquire Bobby Abreu than to acquire Dunn. Unlike Dunn (whose contract goes through 2010), Abreu's contract goes through 2011. I can see any number of NL and AL teams making a waiver claim for Dunn. Those teams might be less likely to make such a claim for Abreu, unless they were willing to accept his whole salary in the event the Angels did not rescind waivers.

Craig Grebeck
08-04-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree and, what's more, if the Sox pick up a lefty hitter to DH prior to August 31, they are much more likely to acquire Bobby Abreu than to acquire Dunn. Unlike Dunn (whose contract goes through 2010), Abreu's contract goes through 2011. I can see any number of NL and AL teams making a waiver claim for Dunn. Those teams might be less likely to make such a claim for Abreu, unless they were willing to accept his whole salary in the event the Angels did not rescind waivers.
I cannot imagine how bad Abreu will look in 2011 (or in 2012, should his option vest).

HomeFish
08-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Everytime I view the forums, I see that the top thread on this forum is "Adam Dunn hits the..." and I assume that Adam Dunn hit a long home run that hit something cool in Nationals Park.

sullythered
08-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Everytime I view the forums, I see that the top thread on this forum is "Adam Dunn hits the..." and I assume that Adam Dunn hit a long home run that hit something cool in Nationals Park.

I have thought the exact same thing for three days now.

cards press box
08-04-2010, 10:48 PM
I cannot imagine how bad Abreu will look in 2011 (or in 2012, should his option vest).

I agree that Abreu's age is a concern. I knew that he was signed for next year at $9 million. I was not, however, aware of any option for 2012.

Having done some research, it appears that the 2012 option vests with 550 PA in 2011 or 1,110 PA in 2010-2011. Abreu has had 453 plate appearances thus far this year.

The odds look pretty good that Abreu's option for 2012 will probably vest next year. Abreu's production (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/abreubo01.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker) this year has been down but would certainly be an upgrade over the Sox DH's this year. Nonetheless, I have to concede that that two additional years of Abreu at $9 million per year would not be a good gamble.

Perhaps if the Tigers fall any further out of it, they look to deal Johnny Damon. In 400 plate appearances, Damon has 7 HR, 34 RBI with a .282 average, a .372 OBP and 7 stolen bases. He only has a one year contract.

UofCSoxFan
08-04-2010, 11:55 PM

I think this thread appeared shortly before Dunn hit an absolutely moonshot in AZ, and I definitley thought this thead was about that.

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Can teams withdraw their claim? I thought that was one of the risks of making a waiver claim to block another team. The team putting the player on waivers can say "fine, take him" and then you are stuck with a player you really didn't want.Oh, yeah, you can't withdraw a claim if they want you to take him. I guess I poorly worded what can happen if you put in a claim and they want to talk trade. If you don't want to meet their demands they can pull the guy off waivers. But if you put in a claim and they say he's yours, he's yours, whether you meant it or not. Otherwise, every team would put in claims to block and then back out if their bluff was called.

To clarify: If I put in a claim on your player, you can do one of the following:

Pull him off waivers. That ends it unless you put him back on in the same year, in which case the waivers are irrevocable and if I claim him again, he's mine.

Try to talk trade with me. If we don't reach an agreement, you can either pull him off waivers or let me have him on waivers.

Just say "he's yours. Adios." And I have to take him, and his contract.

As an example, if the Dodgers drop further, I expect them to put Manny on waivers. If the Sox claim him, they can try again to talk the Dodgers into sending some money along with him, but they risk the Dodgers just letting him go and the Sox having to pay the rest of his contract. And with his huge contract and declining (post-PED?) skills, I think they just might.

hawkjt
08-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Saw a rumor that Dunn cleared waivers...any confirmation of this?
Clearly, Rizzo is not going to change his demands for Dunn so I doubt a deal could be struck with the Sox anyway.

I think the Sox are just biding their time til Teahen comes back,to see if he is the answer for Kotsay.

Coops4Aces
08-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Saw a rumor that Dunn cleared waivers...any confirmation of this?
Clearly, Rizzo is not going to change his demands for Dunn so I doubt a deal could be struck with the Sox anyway.

I think the Sox are just biding their time til Teahen comes back,to see if he is the answer for Kotsay.

No chance in hell. None. Zip. Zero.

chisox616
08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
This is unrelated, but I heard Jose Guillen has been DFA'd. Does that mean he was put on waivers and NO ONE claimed him? Or did they not even bother putting him on waivers (can you do that?)

I mean, 16 HR & 60ish RBIs, I find it hard to believe SOME team didn't pick him up. I guess his clubhouse reputation is just that bad.

Sockinchisox
08-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Welp, Dunn has been claimed.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Washington-Nationals-slugger-Adam-Dunn-claimed-on-waivers-080510

downstairs
08-05-2010, 04:09 PM
This is wrong.

If you claim someone and are awarded the claim, you can make a trade for that player. There is absolutely something to work out.

No- that's the original team's choice. If you claim someone, the original team can essentially force you to take him and his contract by saying "Ok, he's yours!"

Now, the original team does have the CHOICE to take back the waivers and then call you to discuss a trade. But they don't have to trade him- they can leave you holding the bag.

Coops4Aces
08-05-2010, 05:06 PM
No- that's the original team's choice. If you claim someone, the original team can essentially force you to take him and his contract by saying "Ok, he's yours!"

Now, the original team does have the CHOICE to take back the waivers and then call you to discuss a trade. But they don't have to trade him- they can leave you holding the bag.
Which is why I said they CAN make a trade

harwar
08-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I read where someone claimed him thursday but the deadline for making a deal passed so nothing happened .. i can't help but wonder if KW gave it one last try .. oh well .. i'd actually rather just have Jim Thome back

DirtySox
08-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I read where someone claimed him thursday but the deadline for making a deal passed so nothing happened .. i can't help but wonder if KW gave it one last try .. oh well .. i'd actually rather just have Jim Thome back

I guarantee Dunn was claimed by a team other than the White Sox. There was no deal to work out in that case.

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2010, 12:32 AM
I can't see Dunn clearing waivers in the entire NL and everybody below the Sox in the NL, so I doubt it was KW making one last try.