PDA

View Full Version : (Updated:Threets to DL, Torres Up)Personnel moves this next week could be interesting

CaptUSN
08-02-2010, 03:47 PM
If Torres gets the nod for the DH tomorrow, who goes down? Whomever that is can't be called back for 10 days (unless there is an injury and someone goes on the IR)... Ditto when Teahan's rehab is done... Viciedo and Lillibridge are playing too well to deserve to go down, though I'd think Lillibridge is the more likely of the two. Any chance Linebrink is designated and we go with 11 pitchers until 1 September?

russ99
08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
If Torres gets the nod for the DH tomorrow, who goes down? Whomever that is can't be called back for 10 days (unless there is an injury and someone goes on the IR)... Ditto when Teahan's rehab is done... Viciedo and Lillibridge are playing too well to deserve to go down, though I'd think Lillibridge is the more likely of the two. Any chance Linebrink get's designated and we go with 11 pitchers until 1 September?

My guess is Threets being sent down. Ozzie was not pleased with his last outing.

I'd very much doubt they eat Linebrink's salary until next season.

CaptUSN
08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
in the bull pen for left handed relievers with the Twins coming to town next week....

LoveYourSuit
08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Jackson did not pitch:

Friday 1, Saturday2, Sunday 3, Monday 4

Why couldn't he start one of the games on Tuesday :scratch:

DumpJerry
08-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Jackson did not pitch:

It was announced yesterday he is pitching Wednesday. It is also on the Sox website.

LoveYourSuit
08-02-2010, 03:56 PM
It was announced yesterday he is pitching Wednesday. It is also on the Sox website.

I just noticed that also, but I would figure to use him on Tuesday to avoid a fill-in until the following series. I think the Tiger games are more important.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2010, 03:56 PM
I would suspect Threets is the guy to go down and we go with one lefty (Thornton).

oeo
08-02-2010, 03:57 PM
in the bull pen for left handed relievers with the Twins coming to town next week....

If Threets is the one sent packing, Chris Sale is coming.

UofCSoxFan
08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Jackson did not pitch:

Only explination is they wanted to set their rotation. I think this way we have our top 3 matchuped considerably against Minnesota, plus we are able to rotate lefty/righties more effectivley.

You are right though; Jackson would be well rested to pitch Tuesday.

kobo
08-02-2010, 04:01 PM
I just noticed that also, but I would figure to use him on Tuesday to avoid a fill-in until the following series. I think the Tiger games are more important.
They play 14 games in 13 days. I'd rather have someone come up to fill in for one of the games tomorrow rather than waiting until later in the week to do so. This gives extra rest to Garcia, who probably needs it at this point.

oeo
08-02-2010, 04:04 PM

They want to give extra rest to Freddy, and the way it sounds, the entire rotation. Ozzie said Coop has the rotation figured out for the rest of the year, I imagine he doesn't want to mess with that either.

PorkChopExpress
08-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Jackson did not pitch:

I heard something on the radio, I think Steve Stone said it, over the weekend about Coop wanting a little extra time to work with Jackson before he pitches which is why they scheduled him on Wednesday. Something to do with trying to fix that flaw in his delivery.

Hitmen77
08-02-2010, 04:46 PM

That could be the plan. That way we'd only be down to 1 lefty in the pen for 1 or 2 games. They could bring up Torres for Tuesday and then immediately demote him (like they did with Harrel) and turn around and bring up Sale.

TDog
08-02-2010, 04:48 PM
I would suspect Threets is the guy to go down and we go with one lefty (Thornton).

I don't see that happening. Threets didn't pitch well against the A's in his third appearance against the team in less than a week, but I think the White Sox will want the option of having a situational left-handed reliever available in the Twins series.

The Giants were so desperate for left-handed relief against the Dodgers that they used starter Jonathan Sanchez, two days after he had pitched into the seventh, for two hitters in a win against the Dodgers Friday night. Having two southpaws in the bullpen isn't a luxury. Often it's a necessity.

DirtySox
08-02-2010, 04:52 PM

This pleases me.

I await numerous comments about how scrawny he is upon making his debut. :cool:

Coops4Aces
08-02-2010, 04:54 PM
That could be the plan. That way we'd only be down to 1 lefty in the pen for 1 or 2 games. They could bring up Torres for Tuesday and then immediately demote him (like they did with Harrel) and turn around and bring up Sale.

That wouldn't work. You still need a spot for Teahen. IMO Viciedo, Lillibridge, Jones, or Kotsay will be sent down/DFA'ed/DL'ed. Torres will take their spot for one game, then immediately be sent back down in favor of Mark Teahen.

stevemcstud
08-02-2010, 04:57 PM
"I don't know the situation about if you send somebody down you have to spend 10 days in the Minor Leagues," Guillen said. "That's [general manager Ken Williams'] thing. We don't want to move anyone out of the bullpen to take that spot."

Looks like nobody is being moved from the pen. My guess is it is Lillibeast who gets moved.

Pablo_Honey
08-02-2010, 05:01 PM
This pleases me.

I await numerous comments about how scrawny he is upon making his debut. :cool:
I am more anxious to see Munch make a comment along the lines of how we overdrafted a middle reliever based on Sale's arm action and of course, good ol' Keith's words.

Back to the topic, I'm excited to see what we have in store in Sale (No pun intended?). His K's are very encouraging so he must be doing something right. I want to see whether or not the Sox tweaked anything in his mechanics because there are a few things that Sale could have been doing better in his scouting video.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-02-2010, 05:04 PM
That wouldn't work. You still need a spot for Teahen.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/mysteryspot.jpg

The perfect spot for him.

Pablo_Honey
08-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Looks like nobody is being moved from the pen. My guess is it is Lillibeast who gets moved.
Then who is our backup IF? We don't have anyone besides Omar who can give our middle infielders a rest. I hope to God they aren't thinking of using Teahen at second much less at short.

TomBradley72
08-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Step One: Bring up Torres, DFA- Kotsay
Step Two: Send Torres down, re-activate Teahen

Later in August- replace Threets w/Sale (possibly added after Sept. 1)

Viciedo stays so you have right handed hitting 3rd base alternative to Vizquel (for the lefties we'll face in August before rosters expand on Sept. 1st)
Lillibridge stays because OG likes having a guy that can play both IF & OF (the Ozuna/Nix role) and likes speed off the bench.
Teahen takes on the role Kotsay has played...left handed DH/back up at 1st base/corner OF
Kotsay goes because he redundent to Teahan, does not have 3 year guaranted contract

Foulke You
08-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Only explination is they wanted to set their rotation. I think this way we have our top 3 matchuped considerably against Minnesota, plus we are able to rotate lefty/righties more effectivley.

I think extra rest is part of it but I agree that the main reason is to line up the rotation for the Twins.

Hitmen77
08-02-2010, 05:16 PM
That wouldn't work. You still need a spot for Teahen. IMO Viciedo, Lillibridge, Jones, or Kotsay will be sent down/DFA'ed/DL'ed. Torres will take their spot for one game, then immediately be sent back down in favor of Mark Teahen.

I thought I read today that Teahen won't be activated until the Sox return home from this road trip. Otherwise, the plan above would make sense to me.

EDIT: here's the article that says Teahen is not expected back before Aug 10:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2556138,CST-SPT-soxnt02.article

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/mysteryspot.jpg

The perfect spot for him.

:rolling:

oeo
08-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Then who is our backup IF? We don't have anyone besides Omar who can give our middle infielders a rest. I hope to God they aren't thinking of using Teahen at second much less at short.

You cross that bridge if/when you have to. It would take two hurt infielders for either of those situations to even happen.

TomBradley72
08-02-2010, 05:24 PM
You cross that bridge if/when you have to. It would take two hurt infielders for either of those situations to even happen.

I think he'll be anticipating tight/close games vs. Minnesota...he'll want Lillibridge off then bench for pinch running late in games. That series will be huge, no need for both Teahen and Kotsay.

Pablo_Honey
08-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Our bench looks like this right now:
Viciedo - CIF
Lillibeast - MIF
Jones - OF
Kotsay - Corner OF, 1B

Teahen will come back and replace Viciedo's role and play corner outfields, so that's fine. The problem is when Sale comes up and Lillibeast goes down, we will have no MIF backup. Omar will be our starting 3B down the road and he needs rest too which Teahen will provide. Then what about TCM and Bacon? Also, Lillibeast is the only good option as our pinch runner. Overall, it makes less sense to send down Lillibeast to bring up Sale. I think Sale replaces Threets instead.

TomBradley72
08-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Viciedo - CIF
Lillibeast - MIF
Jones - OF
Kotsay - Corner OF, 1B

Teahen will come back and replace Viciedo's role and play corner outfields, so that's fine. The problem is when Sale comes up and Lillibeast goes down, we will have no MIF backup. Omar will be our starting 3B down the road and he needs rest too which Teahen will provide. Then what about TCM and Bacon? Also, Lillibeast is the only good option as our pinch runner. Overall, it makes less sense to send down Lillibeast to bring up Sale. I think Sale replaces Threets instead.

Viciedo's role is playing 3rd vs. lefties, Teahen at 3rd vs. lefties doesn't make sense.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-02-2010, 05:30 PM

I remember reading that Don Cooper has some kind of schedule for the rotation for the rest of the year that would have to be changed if he went earlier than Wednesday.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Viciedo - CIF
Lillibeast - MIF
Jones - OF
Kotsay - Corner OF, 1B

I don't see why Kotsay has a spot on this team with Teahen. Teahen is left handed and has played just about everywhere. I doubt Kotsay goes anywhere because of Ozzie's love for him.

slavko
08-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Somebody (Kotsay?) goes DL for a month, that's my guess.

TomBradley72
08-02-2010, 05:49 PM
I don't see why Kotsay has a spot on this team with Teahen. Teahen is left handed and has played just about everywhere. I doubt Kotsay goes anywhere because of Ozzie's love for him.

Ozzie loves Dayan's OPS & Lillibidge's speed more than Kotsay...he stuck with him until better options have become evident...Viciedo's hitting, Lillibridge's transformation and Teahen's reactivation are all going to spell the end of the Kotsay era.

TDog
08-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Somebody (Kotsay?) goes DL for a month, that's my guess.

This is my guess. Kotsay comes back as a left-handed bat off the bench in September.

oeo
08-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Viciedo - CIF
Lillibeast - MIF
Jones - OF
Kotsay - Corner OF, 1B

You're talking about two different scenarios. If Lillibridge was sent down, then Sale would not be replacing him. I said earlier in the thread that IF Threets was sent out of here, then that would likely mark the start of the Chris Sale era.

The best option as slavko mentioned would be sending Kotsay to the DL. That way you lose no one of value on the field and you still keep Kotsay's leadership, which is really all he's bringing anyway.

Pablo_Honey
08-02-2010, 06:43 PM
You're talking about two different scenarios. If Lillibridge was sent down, then Sale would not be replacing him. I said earlier in the thread that IF Threets was sent out of here, then that would likely mark the start of the Chris Sale era.
Huh, I thought we were talking about who goes down when Sale comes up but well I only skimmed through posts so maybe I missed something. Anyway, I don't see Lillibridge going anywhere. Viciedo will probably go long before Lillibridge.

The best option as slavko mentioned would be sending Kotsay to the DL. That way you lose no one of value on the field and you still keep Kotsay's leadership, which is really all he's bringing anyway.
If only Kenny and Ozzie were willing to do just that...Ah **** nvm, let's not turn this into another thread about the DH situation.

cws05champ
08-02-2010, 08:35 PM

Do they have a spot on the SL (Sucking list)?

Hitmen77
08-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Huh, I thought we were talking about who goes down when Sale comes up but well I only skimmed through posts so maybe I missed something. Anyway, I don't see Lillibridge going anywhere. Viciedo will probably go long before Lillibridge.

There's two separate roster moves at play here. One is needed because the Sox are apparently going to bring up Carlos Torres to pitch tomorrow.

The other is because Teahen is close to returning. However, the Sun-Times says that Teahen won't return to the Sox until at least Aug. 10.

ChicagoG19
08-02-2010, 10:16 PM
I think Kotsay has to go on the "DL" until September.

russ99
08-02-2010, 10:37 PM
OK, I'll bite. If Kotsay is put on the "phantom DL" or DFA'd, who backs up Konerko at first?

You may not like the guy, and his performance has been poor lately, but he has a role on this team.

Coops4Aces
08-02-2010, 10:39 PM
OK, I'll bite. If Kotsay is put on the "phantom DL" or DFA'd, who backs up Konerko at first?

You may not like the guy, and his performance has been poor lately, but he has a role on this team.

Viciedo? Teahen? Me?

EDIT: Jones? Castro? Jenks? Gene Honda? Southpaw? That hilarious cotton candy vendor with the crazy voice?

russ99
08-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Viciedo? Teahen? Me?

Teahen won't be back for 10 days at least.

If you guys can't stomach Viciedo's defense at third, can you handle him at 1B?

It's Dankerific
08-02-2010, 10:44 PM

1b is a lot easier to play than 3b. Stand there. Catch Ball, repeat.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Yea, first isn't as defensively challenging as third is. First tends to be where you stick a guy with a big bat who can't field worth a damn.

08-02-2010, 10:46 PM
There's two separate roster moves at play here. One is needed because the Sox are apparently going to bring up Carlos Torres to pitch tomorrow.

The other is because Teahen is close to returning. However, the Sun-Times says that Teahen won't return to the Sox until at least Aug. 10.

Your signature is BEYOND lame.

Daver
08-02-2010, 10:51 PM

:chopper

Put me in coach...

getonbckthr
08-02-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm curious whats the rule if we send Teahen, Linebrink or KOtsay to the minors?

voodoochile
08-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Viciedo - CIF
Lillibeast - MIF
Jones - OF
Kotsay - Corner OF, 1B

Okay... In a pinch if Omar is playing 3B and they need a relief MIF, they can move Omar to the spot they need filled and bring in Viciedo to play 3B. Teahen actually has spent time at 2B before also. In fact he can backup any IF position except SS.

voodoochile
08-02-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm curious whats the rule if we send Teahen, Linebrink or KOtsay to the minors?

They have to clear waivers first and I think then it can only be done if the player agrees. They can request to be cut and any team can sign them for league minimum and the Sox still pay the contract they signed.

canOcorn
08-02-2010, 11:19 PM

Teahen is already down there on rehab. Linebrink and Kotsay can refuse to go down due to service time and would become free agents. Sounds okay to me since they're dead weight and it's a sunk cost, but we probably cannot bring anyone up that's any better and that's quite damning of our minor league system. Well, Kotsay leaving would be addition by subtraction if Ozzie would take his head out of his butt and make the primary DH a platoon of Teahen and Dayan.

russ99
08-02-2010, 11:19 PM
They have to clear waivers first and I think then it can only be done if the player agrees. They can request to be cut and any team can sign them for league minimum and the Sox still pay the contract they signed.

They're players under contract over exclusive rights service time, and can't be assigned to the minors except for an injury rehab.

The Sox would have to DFA them and expose them to waivers. If after 10 days they go unclaimed, the choices are to trade them, release them (and eat any salary remaining on their contract) or send to the minors.

And still going to the minors is the player's choice, they can refuse assignment and become a free agent, and can sign elsewhere for the league minimum and the Sox still are on the hook for their remaining contract.

The Sox won't be in a hurry to do that, since they're still responsible for their salary and still think they can be of some use on the big league roster.

For those who want them gone, your best hope is that someone claims them in pre-trade waivers, and the Sox let the claiming team have them, since the claiming team assumes their contract, like we did with Rios last year.

voodoochile
08-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Okay, here's how I see it...

Tomorrow, Threets goes down and Torres comes up. Immediately after the game, Torres goes down and... drum roll please... Randy Williams gets recalled.

He's actually pitching okay at AAA with a 1.00 WHIP and a .212 BAA. Maybe this time he gets used like he's supposed to be used (strictly as a LOOGY) and actually has some success for the 10 days until Threets can return.

When Teahen is ready if the Sox don't put Kotsay on the DL I'll be surprised, but if not I think Lillibeast goes down.

Baron
08-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Okay, here's how I see it...

Tomorrow, Threets goes down and Torres comes up. Immediately after the game, Torres goes down and... drum roll please... Randy Williams gets recalled.

He's actually pitching okay at AAA with a 1.00 WHIP and a .212 BAA. Maybe this time he gets used like he's supposed to be used (strictly as a LOOGY) and actually has some success for the 10 days until Threets can return.

When Teahen is ready if the Sox don't put Kotsay on the DL I'll be surprised, but if not I think Lillibeast goes down.

Honestly I tried to forget Randy Williams existed so I didnt pay attention to how he was doing in AAA.But hey if he is improving what the heck let him give it another go.

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Honestly I tried to forget Randy Williams existed so I didnt pay attention to how he was doing in AAA.But hey if he is improving what the heck let him give it another go.

No ****ing way. No Randy Williams ever again.

Baron
08-03-2010, 12:43 AM
No ****ing way. No Randy Williams ever again.

Honestly I rather have Threets or Sale over him but if that is the route we would take then so be it

voodoochile
08-03-2010, 01:11 AM
Honestly I rather have Threets or Sale over him but if that is the route we would take then so be it

Considering it's for 10 days, why risk Sale's future if they're not 100% sure he's ready. Williams was good last year as a LOOGY. He got misued early this season out of necessity and had a horrible half. Now the rotation has stabilized and Pena is set in long relief. Threets was only pitching in mop up work for the most part and occasionally being called on to face a lefty in the 6th or 7th.

Williams can handle that job I would think.

Ranger
08-03-2010, 02:01 AM
1b is a lot easier to play than 3b. Stand there. Catch Ball, repeat.

Yea, first isn't as defensively challenging as third is. First tends to be where you stick a guy with a big bat who can't field worth a damn.

You really want Viciedo learning to play first down the stretch in a playoff run? Certainly, 1B is an easier position to field, but what about throws from the infield? You really want to trust either of those guys to scoop balls out of the dirt at this point in the year?

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 02:05 AM
You really want Viciedo learning to play first down the stretch in a playoff run? Certainly, 1B is an easier position to field, but what about throws from the infield? You really want to trust either of those guys to scoop balls out of the dirt at this point in the year?

You really want Kotsay taking anymore at-bats for this team?

But seriously, it's not like Viciedo would be getting lots of time at first. Maybe 5 games?

oeo
08-03-2010, 02:34 AM

Zero chance the Sox eat Teahen and Linebrink's contracts. And why so quick to give Teahen the boot, he's been pretty good against RHP (.287/.376/.444)...and much better than Kotsay.

Balfanman
08-03-2010, 08:59 AM

Hasn't Viciedo played 50 some games at 1st down in the minors? It's not like it's a brand new position for him. As another poster mentioned it would only be for about 5 games max. Teahen has also played first base in the majors so it's not like we don't have a back up on the roster. I think that Jones has even played a game or two at first, although I could be wrong on that one.

Ranger, I love you man, but there is absolutely no defending Mark Kotsays' presence on a roster that is fighting for a championship.

SCCWS
08-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Hasn't Viciedo played 50 some games at 1st down in the minors? It's not like it's a brand new position for him. As another poster mentioned it would only be for about 5 games max. Teahen has also played first base in the majors so it's not like we don't have a back up on the roster. I think that Jones has even played a game or two at first, although I could be wrong on that one.

Ranger, I love you man, but there is absolutely no defending Mark Kotsays' presence on a roster that is fighting for a championship.

I think it will be Viciedo goes down to learn to play 1B and comes back in Sept.

doublem23
08-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Zero chance the Sox eat Teahen and Linebrink's contracts. And why so quick to give Teahen the boot, he's been pretty good against RHP (.287/.376/.444)...and much better than Kotsay.

Yeah, I would rather keep Teahen over Kotsay. Which is saying a lot because I also hate Mark Teahen.

soltrain21
08-03-2010, 09:51 AM

I don't want him at third, either. I just want his bat in the lineup. I just wish there was a way.

TomBradley72
08-03-2010, 09:52 AM
I think it will be Viciedo goes down to learn to play 1B and comes back in Sept.

Why? We don't need a right handed hitting 1st baseman this year. We need a right handed hitting 3rd baseman as a platoon with Vizquel.

For the few days PK will need off in August/September, Teahen can handle it.

doublem23
08-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Why? We don't need a right handed hitting 1st baseman this year. We need a right handed hitting 3rd baseman as a platoon with Vizquel.

For the few days PK will need off in August/September, Teahen can handle it.

Anyway to keep Viciedo in the lineup is a good thing. Since it's obvious we can't submit this poor kid to the horrors of DHing, he can spell Konerko at 1B for a day every now and then. Better than having him sit on the bench watching Kotsay's pathetic attempts at offense.

Balfanman
08-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Experience at 1st base did not seem to bother the Sox last year as they put Josh "Iron Hands" Fields at 1st base last season, even in the late innings of Buehrles' perfecto.

voodoochile
08-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Interesting monkey wrench in this situation is that Threets is out of options. So he has to clear waivers to be sent down. Given that he has a 0.00 ERA and a 1.07 WHIP it would be surprising if he actually managed to do that.

http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/08/sale_soon_could_join_the_white.html

sox1970
08-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Nevermind. Threets is on the DL with turf toe.

Sale up tomorrow.

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Sale up tomorrow.

Haha there is the BS injury.

sox1970
08-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Haha there is the BS injury.

Exactly. It was either that or shoulder stiffness.

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Spiegel wants to know if we are going to keep Harrell up all year :rolleyes: That guy is such an idiot!

EMachine10
08-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Spiegel wants to know if we are going to keep Harrell up all year :rolleyes: That guy is such an idiot!
I don't know how MacNeil puts up with that goof.

voodoochile
08-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Exactly. It was either that or shoulder stiffness.

Maybe he's got a stiff toe and turf shoulder. One never really knows in these situations...

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't know how MacNeil puts up with that goof.

He asked Ron Coomer what he thought the Sox were going to do with Harrell. Spiegel suggested that they use him like the Rays used Price in '08, saying they could use him as a 6th starter and bullpen guy. Coomer was like, umm yeah they already sent him down.

kevingrt
08-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Sale up tomorrow.

I've heard maybe tonight.

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I've heard maybe tonight.
Torres pitches tonight.

LoveYourSuit
08-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Wouldn't it have been a better idea to pitch Torres in game 1. Then send him down after the game and activate Sale for game two :scratch:

We will be a pitcher short for game two today, the game the replacement starter is starting. I don't think that was a smart idea. But Torres can go 8 innings and not matter.

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Wouldn't it have been a better idea to pitch Torres in game 1. Then send him down after the game and activate Sale for game two :scratch:

We will be a pitcher short for game two today, the game the replacement starter is starting. I don't think that was a smart idea. But Torres can go 8 innings and not matter.

I think it would have been more fun if we pitched Threets in game 1 and then put him on the DL after the game with turf toe. :D:

Chez
08-03-2010, 12:43 PM

Sale up tomorrow.

Can you get turf toe while playing on grass? :smile:

Zakath
08-03-2010, 12:44 PM

Either way, Buehrle was going to be under a lot of pressure to go at least into the seventh.

voodoochile
08-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Torres pitches tonight.
Yeah, I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't switch the starts so they'd have Sale for the bullpen in the second game. They both could have flown in last night no problem.

LoveYourSuit
08-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Either way, Buehrle was going to be under a lot of pressure to go at least into the seventh.

Yeah, but Buehrle would have the extra arm in the pen.

LoveYourSuit
08-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't switch the starts so they'd have Sale for the bullpen in the second game. They both could have flown in last night no problem.

Unless there is a league rule against two guys being activated on different games but on the same day?

voodoochile
08-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Unless there is a league rule against two guys being activated on different games but on the same day?

No I've seen teams deactivate guys between games of a DH before.

kevingrt
08-03-2010, 12:53 PM
My arm tat fascination boy is gone. Who to root for on the Sox now? Don't say Druw!

UofCSoxFan
08-03-2010, 01:07 PM
No I've seen teams deactivate guys between games of a DH before.

This makes sense since in theory someone could get hurt in game 1 of the DH. Teams that are able to get a replacement up in time for game 2 shouldn't be penalized by the schedule. Plus there's no rule you have to DL a guy right when we as hurt, so there would be nothing illegal about the Sox essentially creating an extra roster spot by waiting a game to DL Threets.

BadBobbyJenks
08-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Is there a reason why we can't just keep Teahen down there?

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Is there a reason why we can't just keep Teahen down there?

Teahen isn't as God awful as people on here seem to think

BadBobbyJenks
08-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Teahen isn't as God awful as people on here seem to think

Is there any reason we can't just keep him down?

I honestly think Kotsay is the only option and I doubt that happens.

russ99
08-03-2010, 03:34 PM
In my 35+ years as a Sox fan, I can't remember a Sox team ever when every single player on the roster was under such scrutiny.

Give it a rest already, we're in first place. Who's on the roster is who's on the roster.

As a footnote, I love good-natured discussion where people second-guess the manager and GM, but nothing about this discussion is good-natured. Sadly, some people have it mind that certain players just plain "suck" and the management of this club is run by idiots.

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 03:36 PM

Can you? Rehab can only last 15(?) days.

But why would you?

voodoochile
08-03-2010, 03:39 PM

No they cannot keep Teahen in the minors after his rehab stint is up. It's against the rules.

MisterB
08-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Can you? Rehab can only last 15(?) days.

But why would you?

Actually it's 20 days for hitters, 30 days for pitchers.

BadBobbyJenks
08-03-2010, 03:44 PM
In my 35+ years as a Sox fan, I can't remember a Sox team ever when every single player on the roster was under such scrutiny.

Give it a rest already, we're in first place. Who's on the roster is who's on the roster.

As a footnote, I love good-natured discussion where people second-guess the manager and GM, but nothing about this discussion is good-natured. Sadly, some people have it mind that certain players just plain "suck" and the management of this club is run by idiots.

Teahen needs to come up eventually, there probably should be discussion about who he will replace.

TomBradley72
08-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Every time Viciedo and Lillibridge get hits were one step closer to the post-Kotsay era...

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Actually it's 20 days for hitters, 30 days for pitchers.

Gracias