PDA

View Full Version : Take your pick... Dayan v. Gordon

doublem23
08-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Suggested in the "Will Dayan ever get a walk" poll/thread, which young, up and coming Sox prospect excites you more right now, Dayan Viciedo or Gordon Beckham?

Madvora
08-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Beckham is working his way back to how he looked last year. Viciedo looks good too. He's killing the ball, however he's also killing the ball at 3B.

cleanwsox
08-02-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't wanna lose my love for Gordon.

balke
08-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I honestly think the Sox should've pulled the trigger on Dunn for Viciedo/Jackson. Viciedo looks like a good (not great) hitter who won't ever walk and will have to play the field - where he's a butcher.

dwitt76
08-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Bacon all the way. Way better at defense.

soxlady8
08-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Gordon :)
He was great last year. He was slumping for awhile , but has picked it up now. Dayan is no slouch though , he will be exciting to watch !

He autographed my hat after the game last evening.
I guess I am partial to a player who takes time out from his busy schedule
to acknowledge the fans. He has a new black lab puppy and maybe his new buddy has given him some inspiration.

DirtySox
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
I honestly think the Sox should've pulled the trigger on Dunn for Viciedo/Jackson. Viciedo looks like a good (not great) hitter who won't ever walk and will have to play the field - where he's a butcher.

Bingo.

konerko 14
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
I've got to go with Gordon, Dayan hasn't been here long enough.

HomeFish
08-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Dayan. He hits the ball well.

GoGoCrede
08-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Dayan. I was really happy when we signed him.

Bobby Thigpen
08-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Ya.

I'd give up the best power hitting Sox prospect since probably Carlos Lee and a decent pitcher for a two month rental too...

Rdy2PlayBall
08-02-2010, 01:06 PM
If Beckham can do what he did last year (without the end of the year slump), he will be my favorite. HRs are great, and so is just raw power... but Beckham does EVERYTHING, and was pretty clutch too. Plus his defense, which is pretty good everywhere around the field. If Dayan can keep his average over .300, start walking, and start getting RBIs, I don't see how anyone could not favor him. But with his limited ABs, I still have more confidence Beckham will produce the way we all thought he would. We'll see by the end of the season, but Beckham has been my favoire player all season even with the slump... so it's not really a fair question for me to answer. :tongue:

thomas35forever
08-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Dayan's got a ways to go for me. Gordon gets my vote.

SoxGirl4Life
08-02-2010, 01:14 PM
i can't pick! I like them both for different reasons

Rohan
08-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Dayan is an absolute monster. He reminds me of Vladimir Guerrero up there. He swings at virtually everything and makes contact in nearly every at bat. The more experience he gets the better he'll be.

This kid is going to be an absolute stud. Gordon Beckham hasn't proven that he'll be anything more than an average ball player yet. Dayan can make one hell of a designated hitter in the future.

LoveYourSuit
08-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Still not sold on Beckham being a star in this league. I think he will be fixture at 2B for a long time, but All Star status I'm not sure.

Viciedo to me has a very high ceiling with the bat. And since MLB doesn't care about defense, then he gets my vote.

HomeFish
08-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Dayan is an absolute monster. He reminds me of Vladimir Guerrero up there. He swings at virtually everything and makes contact in nearly every at bat. The more experience he gets the better he'll be.

This kid is going to be an absolute stud. Gordon Beckham hasn't proven that he'll be anything more than an average ball player yet. Dayan can make one hell of a designated hitter in the future.

This. Beckham's defense is also overrated.

doublem23
08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
I think Beckham is the safe pick, he's going to be an above average 2B for a while, might sneak into an All-Star Game or two during his prime, and will very well could be an everyday player on a World Series winner.

Dayan Viciedo is the boom or bust guy. There's a chance he will spectacularly flame out and be $10 M wasted. However, there's a chance he will be an absolute superstar.

Dayan is the 1st player since the Big Hurt that I literally will stop what I am doing to watch his at bats.

soxfanreggie
08-02-2010, 01:26 PM

I'm actually here with you. Both bring different things to this team in terms of talent and skills. The fact that we have a lot of young players on our Major League roster bodes well for our future: Gavin, Danks, Bacon, Alexei, Dayan, TCQ...it could cost us a lot of money in the future to keep them all together, but there is a lot of talent there.

Craig Grebeck
08-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Gordon, it's not close.

Though I'd be willing to trade him if it meant no one ever referred to him as "Bacon."

LoveYourSuit
08-02-2010, 01:29 PM
I think Beckham is the safe pick, he's going to be an above average 2B for a while, might sneak into an All-Star Game or two during his prime, and will very well could be an everyday player on a World Series winner.

Dayan Viciedo is the boom or bust guy. There's a chance he will spectacularly flame out and be $10 M wasted. However, there's a chance he will be an absolute superstar.

Dayan is the 1st player since the Big Hurt that I literally will stop what I am doing to watch his at bats.

Me too!

There is just something there with him I can't explain.

Hope it's a good sign of things to come.

I am happy Kenny did not unload him this weekend.

SI1020
08-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Which one of your kids do you love the most? I'd like to see the Sox relearn how to draft and develop young talent. I want both of these guys to thrive in a Sox uniform.

guillensdisciple
08-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm more excited about Dayan, because he has shown so much in such a short time.

I feel that people have a lot of man crushes on Beckham, and while some of it is deserved, he really has not achieved to the level of his potential yet. So Dayan, because of what he has shown, definitely takes the pick as a more exciting potential player.

Both could end up great, but Dayan has shown it already.

LoveYourSuit
08-02-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm more excited about Dayan, because he has shown so much in such a short time.

I feel that people have a lot of man crushes on Beckham, and while some of it is deserved, he really has not achieved to the level of his potential yet. So Dayan, because of what he has shown, definitely takes the pick as a more exciting potential player.

Agree 100%.

He's already reached the folk hero status with Sox fans Rowand, Crede, & AJ got after the 2005 season.

Pablo_Honey
08-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm personally more excited about Viciedo's bat than Beckham's. Dayan looks like he can hit for very good power while maintaining a decent average, something you don't see much these days. I wish he walked a lot more but if he can become a 30+ HR guy without dipping his AVG below .280, I can live with his aggressiveness. Bacon looks like a guy who can do everything well but won't wow you away in any areas. Nothing wrong with that, but I like Viciedo's power more.

october23sp
08-02-2010, 02:00 PM
I like both but Tanks pure power sometimes gets the ball through the infield or causes an error.

twinsuck
08-02-2010, 02:04 PM
I think Dayan will end being a better hitter than Gordon, but right now Gordon is the better overall player. I love them both!

Bobby Thigpen
08-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Which one of your kids do you love the most? I'd like to see the Sox relearn how to draft and develop young talent. I want both of these guys to thrive in a Sox uniform.
Doesn't the emergence of these two guys kind of show that could be happening?

TDog
08-02-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm glad the Sox didn't. I'm happy that the Sox kept Jackson and upgraded their starting pitching over Hudson. I'm happy the Sox still have Viciedo.

I am hoping Beckham's slump after moving to the No. 2 spot in the order last season and his poor 2010, from which he is recovering, has been a matter of learning to make adjustments to pitchers compounded with adjusting to the long major league season. It's also possible that by Viciedo playing less in his rookie season, he will avoid the problems Beckham had last year. His adjustments to future pitchers' adjustments will determine how good a hitter he will be. Viciedo may well experience a sophomore slump comparable to Beckham's when he plays more next year.

But I still like Viciedo going into the future. He reminds me a little of Pablo Sandoval, who learned to play a pretty good third base. (This season Sandoval is slumping, in part because he has not adjusted to pitchers adjusting to him being a bad-ball hitter who doesn't need to be thrown strikes and in part because he has been going through a divorce.) I also like Beckham going into the future.

I saw Viciedo take batting practice in Oakland. I'm not often impressed with batting practice swings, but I know that young man can hit.

I like Ramirez as well, although he is older. I like Rios in center. I like the White Sox pitching. There are a lot of things I like about this team in 2010 and into the future.

Pablo_Honey
08-02-2010, 02:22 PM
I like Ramirez as well, although he is older. I like Rios in center. I like the White Sox pitching. There are a lot of things I like about this team in 2010 and into the future.
For once I agree with you. Despite the whole Jonesay/DH debacle, this team has some promising future going forward with Beckham, Viciedo, Rios, Ramirez, Danks, Floyd and Santos. Obviously, we will need someone who is a true impact player at some point but this team has a rather bright future.

BadBobbyJenks
08-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Beckham, but why do I have to choose?

SI1020
08-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Doesn't the emergence of these two guys kind of show that could be happening? Yes it could be. Beckham has a ways to go defensively, he seems to be rediscovering his bat. Viciedo has a ton of improving to do in the field. If you saw him hit last year in Birmingham you'd be amazed at the improvement he's shown at the plate. Now if he'd only take a walk now and then. Both are still projects in my mind that could end up being stars or washouts. For a variety of reasons I really want to see these two guys turn out well.

doublem23
08-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Beckham, but why do I have to choose?

That's how polls work.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Beckham is obviously a much more refined player and I think could be a lesser version of Ryne Sandberg where he plays solid defense, hits for power and can steal bases. Dayan though is an interesting hitter. The sound of the ball coming off his bat is amazing, I was at Friday's game and he singled in the second and I looked at my brother and said "That might be the hardest hit single I have ever seen." He needs to learn the strike zone obviously and his defense is nothing short of atrocious but there is all kinds of raw hitting talent there.

SI1020
08-02-2010, 04:29 PM
He needs to learn the strike zone obviously and his defense is nothing short of atrocious but there is all kinds of raw hitting talent there. That a good a description of Viciedo in one sentence.

soltrain21
08-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Lillibridge.

TheVulture
08-02-2010, 04:42 PM
That a good a description of Viciedo in one sentence.

He left out the deceptive speed. I've been surprised at how quick he is, when I first saw him I assumed he was closer to the PK/AJ range but he's actually got some wheels.

MarySwiss
08-02-2010, 05:21 PM
This.

Bobby Thigpen
08-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Yes it could be. Beckham has a ways to go defensively, he seems to be rediscovering his bat. Viciedo has a ton of improving to do in the field. If you saw him hit last year in Birmingham you'd be amazed at the improvement he's shown at the plate. Now if he'd only take a walk now and then. Both are still projects in my mind that could end up being stars or washouts. For a variety of reasons I really want to see these two guys turn out well.
My question about Dayan to people who keep commenting about his D is this. Do you really think the organization is really looking at him as a 3B? Sure he's playing there now, but it's to give Vizquel rests. I think his future in this organization is as a 1b/DH. I don't think he's getting that many DH at bats right now because they're trying to bring him along slowly. But I don't think anyone is under the notion that his future is at third. I think he's PK's replacement, or a spot OF/DH.

Long statement short- I'm not real worried about his defense or lack thereof.

Craig Grebeck
08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
My question about Dayan to people who keep commenting about his D is this. Do you really think the organization is really looking at him as a 3B? Sure he's playing there now, but it's to give Vizquel rests. I think his future in this organization is as a 1b/DH. I don't think he's getting that many DH at bats right now because they're trying to bring him along slowly. But I don't think anyone is under the notion that his future is at third. I think he's PK's replacement, or a spot OF/DH.

It's not that I'm worried about it -- I don't want to speak for the whole group about this -- it's that I value guys who can hit and play adequate to above average defense. Gordon, being one of those guys, and playing an up-the-middle position, is more valuable to the White Sox than Dayan. Good first baseman are great to have, but good middle infielders are harder to come by.

TDog
08-02-2010, 05:51 PM

You might be right. Beckham was brought up last year as a third baseman because they needed a third baseman who could hit and field better than the ironically named Fields. I don't know what the team's future plans are for third base, and frankly I don't know what the team's plans are for Konerko, although people here have been writing him off and trying to trade him since before 2005.

Viciedo doesn't seem that much different from Bobby Bonilla, who ended up being a good third baseman for the Pirates or Pablo Sandoval, who is a pretty good third baseman for the Giants, who sometimes plays first (when Uribe moves to third and Renteria starts at shortstop).

Obviously Vizquel isn't the future for the White Sox at third, and I wouldn't assume Teahen is.

I had hoped last offseason that the White Sox would pick up Kevin Kouzmanoff to play third, both for his glove and his bat, but the A's picked him up instead. As much as Teahen is called out on strikes, maybe the A's would take him for Kouzmanoff, recalling why they drafted Teahen in the first round in 2002 and forgetting why they traded him for Dotel.

SCCWS
08-02-2010, 06:46 PM

HUH???A rookie with 2 homers and 6 RBI's-no walks-- in his first 66 abs has not shown anything. He has swung at anything close and has made consistent contact. That is the good part. But, he looks like Hawk Harrelson in the field. But it had been determined in the minors he was not a 3rd baseman so the kid gets a pass.
Remember Beckham's history so far. Terrible first 2 weeks--then hot as hell for a month---then tanked last August. Started this year w 3 terrible months followed by a great July. 700career abs and he is a .258 hitter. Most of us think that avg. will get up considerably higher but who knows??

So let Dayan get a year under his belt before you start using the word "great". Cooperstown is a long way off. I think a trip to Charlotte w a first baseman's mitt is more likely in the coming weeks.

SephClone89
08-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Way too tough to tell now.

But honestly, when Beckham is on fire at the plate, he is my favourite player in baseball to watch.

guillen4life13
08-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Bingo.

I think you're forgetting that Dayan is 21 years old!

Ya.

I'd give up the best power hitting Sox prospect since probably Carlos Lee and a decent pitcher for a two month rental too...

guillensdisciple
08-03-2010, 03:29 AM
HUH???A rookie with 2 homers and 6 RBI's-no walks-- in his first 66 abs has not shown anything. He has swung at anything close and has made consistent contact. That is the good part. But, he looks like Hawk Harrelson in the field. But it had been determined in the minors he was not a 3rd baseman so the kid gets a pass.
Remember Beckham's history so far. Terrible first 2 weeks--then hot as hell for a month---then tanked last August. Started this year w 3 terrible months followed by a great July. 700career abs and he is a .258 hitter. Most of us think that avg. will get up considerably higher but who knows??

So let Dayan get a year under his belt before you start using the word "great". Cooperstown is a long way off. I think a trip to Charlotte w a first baseman's mitt is more likely in the coming weeks.

I phrased it wrong, but you are 100 percent right.

Bob Roarman
08-03-2010, 04:11 AM
Beckham kinda by default. It's tough to judge Viciedo this early, he has only had 60 something at bats. We're seeing now that Beckham is adjusting back to the adjustments made to him and if he's able to do that, then he'll be fine. We don't know yet with Dayan. You almost have to give it 1.5 to 2 full seasons before you really "know" about the guy and what he can do at the plate.