PDA

View Full Version : You're the GM again: Danks, TCQ

soxfanreggie
08-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Last time we talked about what to do with PK - do we sign him to a deal for next year or not? Well, since we've passed the first trade dealine but haven't really gotten into waiver moves yet, as the Sox GM, you have a little bit of free time on your hands.

Assuming you want to keep Danks and TCQ, what offers would you make them to stay with the Sox? Would you work with them on one year deals to avoid arbitration, or would you try to get them to sign to a deal the length of Gavin's?

As a bonus, feel free to negotiate an extension with Alexei if you think he will be the Sox shortstop for the future.

Here's what I would do, first with Danks: 4 years, $28 million guaranteed (includes $1 million buyout).

The deal would be modeled after what Floyd received in terms of length and a club option. However, I would consider hammering out a second club option for 2016.

2011: $4.0 million
2012: $6.0 million
2013: $8.0 million
2014: $9.0 million
2015 Club Option: $11 million ($1 million buyout)
2016 Club Option: $12.5 million ($1 million buyout)

I'd also toss in similar award bonuses to Gavin's: $25,000 each for Gold Glove, All Star start ($15,000 for All Star selection); $50,000 for TSN All Star; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $0.1M for WS MVP; $0.1M each for MVP, Cy Young or Rolaids ($90,000 for 2nd in vote, $80,000 for 3rd, $70,000 for 4th, $60,000 for 5th).

For Carlos, I would work out a similar contract in years, club options, and amount. I'd also keep the compensation structure escalating the same way.

Ultimately, I would love to see what their agents are seeking for them in long-term deals.

TheOldRoman
08-02-2010, 10:59 AM
That looks just like the contract Danks turned down the last few years. No way he would accept that. He is going to get upwards of $5mil in arbitration next year (if it goes that far). 2012 is the last year he is under Sox' control. The fact that Danks hasn't accepted a long-term contract to this point lets you know he isn't going to accept below market value. He would rather take the garaunteed $5 mil and bank on more in '12 before he gets a huge open market contract in '13.

Gavin had ups and downs in his career and accepted his cheap contract coming off of his first good season, presumably not knowing whether he could replicate it. I think at that point he figured he would take anything he could get. He is a steal for the Sox for the remainder of his contract. Danks never had doubts that he would stay healthy and pitch well, so he will take it year to year unless he is blown away.

russ99
08-02-2010, 11:20 AM
That looks just like the contract Danks turned down the last few years. No way he would accept that. He is going to get upwards of $5mil in arbitration next year (if it goes that far). 2012 is the last year he is under Sox' control. The fact that Danks hasn't accepted a long-term contract to this point lets you know he isn't going to accept below market value. He would rather take the garaunteed $5 mil and bank on more in '12 before he gets a huge open market contract in '13.

Gavin had ups and downs in his career and accepted his cheap contract coming off of his first good season, presumably not knowing whether he could replicate it. I think at that point he figured he would take anything he could get. He is a steal for the Sox for the remainder of his contract. Danks never had doubts that he would stay healthy and pitch well, so he will take it year to year unless he is blown away.

Agreed, Danks would probably only sign a long-term deal if it were above market and bought out a few FA years at a premium.

Quentin may possibly go for a longer deal at slightly below market value due to his injury concerns.

I have penciled in one-year deals at $5-5.5M for Danks and $4.5-$5M for Quentin on my Sox salary Excel file for next season.

soxfanreggie
08-02-2010, 12:20 PM

Weren't the Danks and Gavin deals very similar when they were made?

BringHomeDaBacon
08-02-2010, 02:36 PM
You want Danks to accept a contract in which he is paid less than Edwin Jackson?

russ99
08-02-2010, 02:45 PM
You want Danks to accept a contract in which he is paid less than Edwin Jackson?

What does that have to do with anything?

Edwin Jackson signed a contract. Danks is still under team control and arb-eligible. His signing number this year was very similar with other players of his age and MLB experience.

Just because someone is a better pitcher has little bearing on how they're paid until they hit the free agency years.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2010, 03:31 PM

And Danks was very excited and wanted to sign it but his agent said "I think you could probably make a bit more than that." If I were the GM I would do everything I could to get Danks signed up long term but I have no idea how much money that would take (I don't know how much Floyd is making, etc.) I might give him a deal that is similar to Jackson's.

As for Quentin given his injury history and streakiness I might dangle him out on the trade market this off season and see what I can get for him. And that's probably why I would never be a GM.

TheOldRoman
08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Weren't the Danks and Gavin deals very similar when they were made?The Sox offered them the same contracts after 2008 (Quentin, too). Floyd accepted, Danks didn't. As I said before, Gavin had been a dissapointment to that point in his career, so after his first good season he jumped at the garaunteed money, possibly not knowing if he would ever duplicate the numbers and get another huge contract. Danks, on the other hand, never had the same problems, and he knew he would one day get a monster contract. Different points of view. Gavin took the security and is now underpaid. Danks took the risk and made less than Floyd for a few years, but he will end up making much more money than Floyd a few years from now.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Edwin Jackson signed a contract.

oh

Zisk77
08-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Agreed, Danks would probably only sign a long-term deal if it were above market and bought out a few FA years at a premium.

Quentin may possibly go for a longer deal at slightly below market value due to his injury concerns.

I have penciled in one-year deals at $5-5.5M for Danks and $4.5-$5M for Quentin on my Sox salary Excel file for next season.

Huh? Why do you have one of those, are you helping uncle Jerry pay the bills?

Craig Grebeck
08-02-2010, 04:45 PM
[/B]

Huh? Why do you have one of those, are you helping uncle Jerry pay the bills?
As much as I like ridiculing Russ, I appreciate that he is devoted enough to keep an Excel file around tracking finances.

Good for you, Russ.

SephClone89
08-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Will TCQ really demand that much money? Between injuries and the fact that even when healthy, he's maddeningly inconsistent...

doublem23
08-02-2010, 06:30 PM
As much as I like ridiculing Russ, I appreciate that he is devoted enough to keep an Excel file around tracking finances.

Good for you, Russ.

It's especially funny since other people (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2010-roster.shtml) do all the work (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=t8-I4DzviBf0kdxr07SkZFQ&output=html) for you.

soxfanreggie
08-02-2010, 06:45 PM
The Sox offered them the same contracts after 2008 (Quentin, too). Floyd accepted, Danks didn't. As I said before, Gavin had been a dissapointment to that point in his career, so after his first good season he jumped at the garaunteed money, possibly not knowing if he would ever duplicate the numbers and get another huge contract. Danks, on the other hand, never had the same problems, and he knew he would one day get a monster contract. Different points of view. Gavin took the security and is now underpaid. Danks took the risk and made less than Floyd for a few years, but he will end up making much more money than Floyd a few years from now.

Danks is under arbitration though almost as long as Floyd is under contract, with Floyd probably under our control one more year than Danks. While Danks is outperforming Gavin right now, who knows what will happen a few years from now. Both have the potential to get huge deals a few years from now depending on how they pitch the next few seasons.

Tragg
08-05-2010, 10:19 AM
I think Williams offered Danks, Floyd and Quentin basically the same deal at around the same time. Only Floyd took it; Quentin should have, and it wouldnt have been that bad for Danks either, because it only would have taken him a couple of years past his arb years.

BadBobbyJenks
08-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Danks will not be signing for less than 10 million per when he eventually does sign a contract.

soxfanreggie
08-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Danks will not be signing for less than 10 million per when he eventually does sign a contract.

He might take a bit less in future years if we give him more than he'd make under arbitration control.