PDA

View Full Version : Will Dayan draw a walk this season?

doublem23
08-02-2010, 11:05 AM
So, it's been 6 weeks since his debut, and 22 games and 66 at bats later, Dayan is still walkless (though, remarkably, he's only struck out 8 times).

He's only worked a 3-ball count five times... Can he do it?

Coops4Aces
08-02-2010, 11:10 AM
So, it's been 6 weeks since his debut, and 22 games and 66 at bats later, Dayan is still walkless (though, remarkably, he's only struck out 8 times).

Intentional walk with Kotsay on deck.

soxfanatlanta
08-02-2010, 11:16 AM
He will get on base via catcher's interference before that happens :redneck

Carneyman14
08-02-2010, 11:18 AM
intentional walk with kotsay on deck.

zing!!!!

kevingrt
08-02-2010, 11:20 AM
He's going to get a lot of AB's here now. He has to get one right? I mean maybe even a IBB?

pudge
08-02-2010, 12:15 PM
I'd like to see the poll question, are you now more excited about Bacon or The Tank?

october23sp
08-02-2010, 12:21 PM
He will do it in his next game.

TDog
08-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Earlier this season Kotsay was intentionally walked with Ramirez on deck in a game-ending situation. On May 7 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201005070.shtml) in Chicago against the Blue Jays with the score tied at 4 in the bottom of the ninth with a man on second and one out, Kevin Gregg put Kotsay on. Ramirez hit into a forceout to put runners at first and third with two outs. Pierre bunted a little popup that was caught to end the inning, and the WSI faithful was unified with their hatred of anyone who would ever think about bunting with two outs and a runner on third base.

If Kotsay is in the game, he would be facing a right-handed pitcher. It is more likely Kotsay would be waled to get to Viciedo who is a right-handed hitter, unless Viciedo were walked ahead of Jones and Kotsay came in as a pinch-hitter.

Coops4Aces
08-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Earlier this season Kotsay was intentionally walked with Ramirez on deck in a game-ending situation. On May 7 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201005070.shtml) in Chicago against the Blue Jays with the score tied at 4 in the bottom of the ninth with a man on second and one out, Kevin Gregg put Kotsay on. Ramirez hit into a forceout to put runners at first and third with two outs. Pierre bunted a little popup that was caught to end the inning, and the WSI faithful was unified with their hatred of anyone who would ever think about bunting with two outs and a runner on third base.

If Kotsay is in the game, he would be facing a right-handed pitcher. It is more likely Kotsay would be waled to get to Viciedo who is a right-handed hitter, unless Viciedo were walked ahead of Jones and Kotsay came in as a pinch-hitter.

Like Pablo Ozuna? :tongue:

kufram
08-02-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't know if he will get a walk this year, but he will have to learn how to sooner or later. Otherwise, his strikeouts and grounders will go up because he won't be getting ANY thing good to hit. The pitchers will know that they don't have to throw him strikes. I love this guy at the plate. I never saw Frank Thomas play baseball much (to my loss) because the internet hadn't got mlb to me in his era, but I followed his numbers pretty closely through the IHT. I don't think he ever won a gold glove tho.... or was even close. Viciedo could be that valuable, in time. I do think Dayan may need to play the field to stay in shape.

LoveYourSuit
08-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I think he's had about a handfull of bad ABs sine he's come up here. I am not too concerned about his lack of walks as long as he keeps crushing the ball and taking it the other way with authority.

If he becomes pull happy, then someone needs to talk to him.

If he hits .310 and walks just enough to put his obp% at .335, is anyone going to be upset? I'm not.

TDog
08-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Like Pablo Ozuna? :tongue:

Pierre's bunt Sunday wasn't so bad either, although it didn't win the game as Ozuna's did.

At least I didn't see anyone calling yesterday's RBI bunt hit with two outs and a man on third a squeeze.

Coops4Aces
08-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Pierre's bunt Sunday wasn't so bad either, although it didn't win the game as Ozuna's did.

At least I didn't see anyone calling yesterday's RBI bunt hit with two outs and a man on third a squeeze.

Wow, a bunt from 4 years ago pops into my mind and I completely forgot yesterday's. :redface:

Pablo_Honey
08-02-2010, 02:05 PM
I think he will draw a walk from someone who rarely walks guys, kinda like how Carlos Silva walked aggressive hitters like Garrett Anderson, Dmitri Young and Alfonso Soriano in his 9 walk 2005 campaign.

downstairs
08-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Oh, eventually some pitcher is just going to have an awful inning and walk everyone, including Dayan. I'll bet that its the walk to Dayan that finally gets him yanked.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2010, 04:02 PM
I think he will get a walk, but as he gets older I hope he learns the strike zone more. The kid has got a lot of pop out of his bat (every time he hits it, it's hard), and I don't think he can be a Vladimir Guerro hitter who can hit anything you throw at him for a .300 average.

oeo
08-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Yes, he will draw a few walks. They're already trying to get him to swing at crap early in the count, he's not biting.

That said, he has a huge hitting zone, I think he has a little Vlad Guerrero in him. I was impressed with that ball he drove into the gap in the 9th inning the other night against Braden. Low, outside, and he killed the ball into the gap.

I think he will get a walk, but as he gets older I hope he learns the strike zone more. The kid has got a lot of pop out of his bat (every time he hits it, it's hard), and I don't think he can be a Vladimir Guerro hitter who can hit anything you throw at him for a .300 average.

Thing is, I think he has a good idea of what the strike zone is. He's aggressive, but he's not Juan Uribe.

SephClone89
08-02-2010, 08:00 PM
At the end of the season I'll be curious to see how his BB rate compares to others with the same amount of plate appearances.

doublem23
08-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Thing is, I think he has a good idea of what the strike zone is. He's aggressive, but he's not Juan Uribe.

Yeah, in 66 PA he has only K'd 8 times, remarkable for a guy who never walks.

UofCSoxFan
08-02-2010, 09:48 PM
According to Fangraphs, Viciedo is swinging at nearly 39.1% of balls outside the strike zone; league average is 28.9%. That on the surface is alarming

However, one thing to note is that Viciedo's contact rate of balls outside the strike zone is 69.4%, higher than the league average of 66.6%. So in spite of swinging at more pitches outside the zone, he's actually maintaining his contact rate.

As doublem said, the dude has a huge hitting zone. Acccordinly he doesn't need to walk quite as much. Still his BABAIP will likley come down (it's a crazy .339 right now) in which case the walks will be needed. If he can show patience once he starts either going bad or once teams start refusing to throw him strikes, I think he'll be just fine.

Boondock Saint
08-02-2010, 09:50 PM

Paradox. Viciedo will not bat ahead of Kotsay, regardless of how much better Viciedo is hitting.

Slappy
08-02-2010, 11:31 PM
According to Fangraphs, Viciedo is swinging at nearly 39.1% of balls outside the strike zone; league average is 28.9%. That on the surface is alarming

However, one thing to note is that Viciedo's contact rate of balls outside the strike zone is 69.4%, higher than the league average of 66.6%. So in spite of swinging at more pitches outside the zone, he's actually maintaining his contact rate.

As doublem said, the dude has a huge hitting zone. Acccordinly he doesn't need to walk quite as much. Still his BABAIP will likley come down (it's a crazy .339 right now) in which case the walks will be needed. If he can show patience once he starts either going bad or once teams start refusing to throw him strikes, I think he'll be just fine.

Agreed.

He's swinging at almost everything and trying to hit it out of the park, too. He's reminding me of Andruw's first few successful weeks/month with us, after he inevitably fizzled out and regressed to his normal self of the past few years. Unlike Andruw though, Dayan is very young, so they need to make a correction sooner rather than later.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Exactly why "Tank" is the prefect nickname. Sound the alarm when he continually strands baserunners.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-03-2010, 12:23 AM
29 seriously think no? I would think it's kind of impossible. At least, very unlikely. How many counts has he has with 3 balls?

SephClone89
08-03-2010, 01:16 AM
29 seriously think no? I would think it's kind of impossible. At least, very unlikely. How many counts has he has with 3 balls?

Hmm.

He's had some full counts as well. I dunno.

doublem23
08-03-2010, 09:33 AM
He's had some full counts as well. I dunno.

Full counts are in there, as well. He's reached Ball 3 just five times.

What is more surprising than the 0 BB are the 8 Ks. For a guy as aggressive as he is, to strike out only about once every 9 AB is incredible.

Chez
08-03-2010, 09:59 AM
The chucklehead sitting behind me at The Cell on Sunday was certain that Viciedo will be sent down "to learn how to walk." The Tank may be sent down, but I doubt it will be with specific instructions to "learn to take a walk."

Coops4Aces
08-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I've heard this before and it certainly rings true. You can't walk off an island.