PDA

View Full Version : Going to Day/Night Double header in Detroit Tuesday

GregO23
08-01-2010, 06:31 PM
So myself and 3 friends are gonna make the trip to Detriot for the double header...we are college students so expense on tickets, hotels and parking is somewhat of a problem. With that said, for those of you who have been to Comerica, I would like to hear some tips on saving some money and good cheap seats under $20 in the park. Just wanting to hear some suggestions. Also, we will be leaving early Tuesday morning, and with the early noon start we are worried about what kind of traffic there might be. Leaving the Southeast side of Chicago..How long will it take to get to the stadium?

Ava83
08-01-2010, 06:37 PM
First have a great time.

Second my personal mantra would be "They are one hour ahead, one hour ahead" (as this is something I ALWAYS FORGET till the very last moment)

I have only traveled to the Detroit area with a small child the past couple times so any time estimates I give you would only be applicable if you are bringing toddlers!

soxlady8
08-02-2010, 04:52 PM
I cannot help ya out with any advice .
I sure wish I could have headed out to Detroit for a game or two, but the flood has taken my life away now for the past week.

Have a great time . I hear Comerica park rocks :)

esbrechtel
08-02-2010, 05:16 PM
I drove to Detroit this past winter when the Bears played the Lions in January...

The traffic was fine once I got away from Chicago.
But if you leave early you will probably miss most of it...

Parking was fine, are you spending the night or coming home? Because if you plan to stay overnight be sure to get out of the city it can be sketchy after dark...

Zakath
08-02-2010, 06:51 PM
So myself and 3 friends are gonna make the trip to Detriot for the double header...we are college students so expense on tickets, hotels and parking is somewhat of a problem. With that said, for those of you who have been to Comerica, I would like to hear some tips on saving some money and good cheap seats under $20 in the park. Just wanting to hear some suggestions. Also, we will be leaving early Tuesday morning, and with the early noon start we are worried about what kind of traffic there might be. Leaving the Southeast side of Chicago..How long will it take to get to the stadium?

You're looking at 4 hours roughly, depending on construction on I-94 in Michigan. Haven't been to Comerica in a few years, but I remembered some places charging less for parking ($15 from the Tigers website) a few blocks away from the stadium on the other side of Woodward.

Fair number of seats for less than $20. Check the Tigers website (18 different prices depending on your seats is a bit ridiculous).

GregO23
08-03-2010, 01:24 AM
I drove to Detroit this past winter when the Bears played the Lions in January...

The traffic was fine once I got away from Chicago.
But if you leave early you will probably miss most of it...

Parking was fine, are you spending the night or coming home? Because if you plan to stay overnight be sure to get out of the city it can be sketchy after dark...

Im gonna be staying at a hotel 2.4 miles away from Comerica called the St. Regis. Hope it isnt too bad Ive heard Detriot is pretty awful but we are grown men so im sure there wont be any trouble

You're looking at 4 hours roughly, depending on construction on I-94 in Michigan. Haven't been to Comerica in a few years, but I remembered some places charging less for parking ($15 from the Tigers website) a few blocks away from the stadium on the other side of Woodward.

Fair number of seats for less than $20. Check the Tigers website (18 different prices depending on your seats is a bit ridiculous).

Do you know if we can tailgate? Im sure itd just be better and safer if we were in their parking lot...if they have one? lol

I cannot help ya out with any advice .
I sure wish I could have headed out to Detroit for a game or two, but the flood has taken my life away now for the past week.

Have a great time . I hear Comerica park rocks :)
Sorry to hear that! Ill let you know how it went!

First have a great time.

Second my personal mantra would be "They are one hour ahead, one hour ahead" (as this is something I ALWAYS FORGET till the very last moment)

I have only traveled to the Detroit area with a small child the past couple times so any time estimates I give you would only be applicable if you are bringing toddlers!

No toddlers just college dudes looking to have a roadtrip and get drunk while watching our favorite team continuing a hot streak...Thanks!!

doublem23
08-03-2010, 08:49 AM
I went to a game at Comerica in 2006, there was no official lot there, we ended up parking in what appeared to be an abandoned gravel lot about 2 blocks from the park. There was a guy collecting money at the front and then it was a free-for-all, no lines, no attendants, etc. There were 1-2 decent food/drink options not too far from the park, but yeah, Comerica was actually pretty nice. Fans were pretty good too, no one gave me a hard time for wearing a Sox shirt (was at a Sox/Tigers game), though, I'm sure their hospitality would have waned a bit if the Sox had won.

soxlady8
08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Yes tell us how it went --

A field trip report of an away game (or in this case two ) is always awesome.

chisox12
08-03-2010, 12:01 PM

That's awesome. I miss being a college student. Have a great time!

chisoxfan4life
08-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I was wanting to go to these games, because I had a family member driving up to Detroit today and coming home on Wednesday, but unfortunately I have to work.

If you still have internet/computer access, check out Stubhub. There are some pretty decent seats for around $20. I always park around Ford Field when I go to Comerica, it seems safer. I haven't been there since the division clinching game in 2005 though!

Huisj
08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Just got some club level seats for tonight's game. Making the trip down from Lansing. Excited to see Torres pitch in the first Sox game I've been to since September '08.