PDA

View Full Version : This week is the week to make a push

tony1972
08-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Sox have Detriot (reeling) and Baltimore..

Minnesota (who has had easy teams since playing the Sox) ..have Tampa Bay at home and Cleveland at home...

I think this is the week we could put a little distance between us and the Twins...

Slappy
08-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm glad we're not playing Cleveland.

This will be a fun week, as I'm excited to see Edwin pitch for the first time.

Coops4Aces
08-01-2010, 07:46 PM

Minnesota (who has had easy teams since playing the Sox) ..have Tampa Bay at home and Cleveland at home...

I think this is the week we could put a little distance between us and the Twins...

I assume when you say Minnesota has TB and Cle at home, you mean they have them on the road :scratch:

We play on the road too. Min@Cle is very comparable to Sox@Bal. I hope to gain at least 1, maybe 2 games.

Zakath
08-01-2010, 09:19 PM
I assume when you say Minnesota has TB and Cle at home, you mean they have them on the road :scratch:

We play on the road too. Min@Cle is very comparable to Sox@Bal. I hope to gain at least 1, maybe 2 games.

Cleveland is bad, but Baltimore is bringing whole new meanings to sucking. Their pitching staff is an absolute disaster. You almost feel sorry for guys on their offense (which is nowhere near as good as KC's) like Markakis, Jones, Scott, and Wigginton, because no matter how many runs they score, their pitchers are just so bad (5.17 ERA, 1.53 WHIP) that they can never win.

Very real chance that they end up more games out of first than they win this year. We need 3 of 4 at minimum in Baltimore.

thomas35forever
08-01-2010, 11:47 PM
This is our chance to put an end to Detroit for 2010. I feel confident about that. We're hot and the Tigers are reeling.

Nelfox02
08-01-2010, 11:55 PM
D-Town tough at home, but we dont face Verlander. Always tough to win both games in a DH, expecting a split in the motor city. Taking 3 at Balt is really a must.....cant have any let downs there at all........

Rays tough at home, hopefully their solid pitching staff can cool off Twin bats, thinking you see the Twins at best split there....and likely win 2 of 3 vs Cle over the weekend......

might be tricky to gain big ground this week.....

slavko
08-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Detroit is very, very snakebit. Don't do anything to wake them up and we'll do better than split. No beanball wars, please.

WLL1855
08-02-2010, 12:20 AM
We've got 14 games in 13 days. I'm praying the starting pitching manages to sprinkle in a complete game or two in there for the sake of the pen.

I agree that this stretch gives us a great chance to deliver a gut punch to Detroit. Make it happen.

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Since Detroit doesn't have a game tomorrow either, why did they schedule a DH instead of a single game tomorrow night?

LoveYourSuit
08-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Since Detroit doesn't have a game tomorrow either, why did they schedule a DH instead of a single game tomorrow night?

I think the player's union requires you to have a day off after a string of so many games.

Foulke You
08-02-2010, 01:43 AM
D-Town tough at home, but we dont face Verlander. Always tough to win both games in a DH, expecting a split in the motor city. Taking 3 at Balt is really a must.....cant have any let downs there at all........

Rays tough at home, hopefully their solid pitching staff can cool off Twin bats, thinking you see the Twins at best split there....and likely win 2 of 3 vs Cle over the weekend......

might be tricky to gain big ground this week.....
I agree with your take on the road trip. The Tigers know this 4 game series against us could be their last gasp to get back in the AL Central race. They have been tough to beat at Comerica this year. Expect to see them come at the Sox with everything they've got. It's not going to be an easy series. I'd be very happy with 3 of 4. A split might be disappointing since we could actually get a bit of help from TB this week. Also, Baltimore has given us fits in the past. Hopefully, this year's O's team is ready to lay down for us.

jcw218
08-02-2010, 02:04 AM

I think the player's union requires you to have a day off after a string of so many games.

This and if the Sox had played on Monday, that would have made 24 straight days without a day off 7/22 - 8/16.

Coops4Aces
08-02-2010, 02:44 AM
This and if the Sox had played on Monday, that would have made 24 straight days without a day off 7/22 - 8/16.
That would suck for the players, but it'd be awesome for the fans. What am I supposed to do tomorrow night?? :D:

whitesox4eva
08-02-2010, 06:07 AM
That would suck for the players, but it'd be awesome for the fans. What am I supposed to do tomorrow night?? :D:

Watch the Rays beat the twinkies.:tongue:

Balfanman
08-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Cleveland is bad, but Baltimore is bringing whole new meanings to sucking. Their pitching staff is an absolute disaster. You almost feel sorry for guys on their offense (which is nowhere near as good as KC's) like Markakis, Jones, Scott, and Wigginton, because no matter how many runs they score, their pitchers are just so bad (5.17 ERA, 1.53 WHIP) that they can never win.

Very real chance that they end up more games out of first than they win this year. We need 3 of 4 at minimum in Baltimore.

But this fact really doesn't say much about how bad they may or may not be, but more about how good there division is. If Cleveland, K.C., or Seattle were in the A. L. East they would have the same possibility, or maybe even a better chance of doing this.

Zakath
08-02-2010, 08:50 AM

I believe it's 21 max.

Except for a rainout against Toronto on 7/23, the Tigers haven't had an off-day since the AS Break, and don't have another one until 8/12 (the day before the series in Chicago), which would have made 27 straight if we had played today.

As mentioned, our last day off was 7/22, and we wouldn't have another day off until 8/16.

october23sp
08-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Honestly we can't ask for more than a split at Detroit. We can want it, but we can't make it a necessary thing. A split will be fine. But I want them to sweep.:D:

But the best we can hope for is us going 2-2 in Detroit and the Twins going 1-3 in Tampa.

Bucky F. Dent
08-02-2010, 10:08 AM

Yes and no. It's August and we are only a half game up on the Twinkies (who never die). Every game is HUGE through the end of the season, IMHO.

SOXSINCE'70
08-02-2010, 10:52 AM
This is our chance to put an end to Detroit for 2010. I feel confident about that. We're hot and the Tigers are reeling.

The secret to this is not so simple: Get Cabrera (sp?) and Damon out.
And please, Matt Thornton, no more 3 run gopher balls by Brennan Boesch.:praying:

SOXSINCE'70
08-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Every game is HUGE through the end of the season, IMHO.

Ozzie's always said it will come down to the last week.
And the way things look now,he's right.This will be a dogfight to
the finish.Here's hoping the Sox emerge on top.

Railsplitter
08-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Let's hope the Rays start a nice long winning streak today. Also, the Twinkies get a four game set at Texas the last week of the month, which also begins on the Sox' off day.

Zakath
08-02-2010, 11:10 AM
The secret to this is not so simple: Get Cabrera (sp?) and Damon out.
And please, Matt Thornton, no more 3 run gopher balls by Brennan Boesch.:praying:

The way Boesch has been hitting lately, he couldn't get a HR off of a Little League pitcher.

getonbckthr
08-02-2010, 11:16 AM

Makes one of us....

VeeckAsInWreck
08-02-2010, 12:14 PM

I too am looking forward to seeing Edwin pitch for us. I hope he's lights out and shuts up all the folks who are going through Post-Hudson depression.

russ99
08-02-2010, 02:39 PM
As long as Jenks doesn't close against his personal nemesis Baltmore, we should have a good week. Hoping for at least 3/4 vs. the Tigers.

Foulke You
08-02-2010, 02:50 PM
As long as Jenks doesn't close against his personal nemesis Baltmore, we should have a good week.
Well, at least we don't have to worry about Melvin Mora anymore. That guy would absolutely eat our lunch with his bat and his glove. Tejada is also gone now too.

asindc
08-02-2010, 02:57 PM
As long as Jenks doesn't close against his personal nemesis Baltmore, we should have a good week. Hoping for at least 3/4 vs. the Tigers.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about Melvin Mora anymore. That guy would absolutely eat our lunch with his bat and his glove. Tejada is also gone now too.

Don't forget Brian Roberts, who has also killed Bobby in the past. He is just coming off the DL, so maybe he won't be in Jenks-pounding mode when the Sox come to Balt. later this week. I hope not, because I plan to attend at least two of the games and I am 5-0 so far this year between NY, Pittsburgh, and DC.:smile: