PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Gavin Everyone A's Today' 8/1 OAK vs White Sox Postgame Thread

soxinem1
08-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Solid effort all the way around.

Give Gio credit, he was tough.

But the clutch hit by Lillibridge and very solid pitching sealed the deal.

october23sp
08-01-2010, 03:27 PM
We needed a series win. We got it, good work.

manders_01
08-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Those first 4 - 5 innings were crazy. That's a White Sox winner!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

guillensdisciple
08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Still in first, and going to be a full game up tomorrow :)

Oh, and as for Oakland, at least you guys will always have that woo woo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnR64yGH1zs
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1SD0yQmRsM)

Rdy2PlayBall
08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
The Lillibeast strikes again. :cool:
Great overall game. Floyd is just amazing.

WhiteSox5187
08-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Always fun to win. Don't stop now!

russ99
Sox win! Woo hoo. :D:

markopat
Awesome thread title! I freakin love this team! Bobby looks so good right now....hitting is solid and defense gets us out of jams...I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!!

Go Go SOX!!

Slappy
08-01-2010, 03:30 PM
No shaving cream pie for Lillibridge?

LoveYourSuit
08-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Sox have a HUGE Problem, and it's a good one to have:

Who goes down when Teahen comes back?

Brent needs to stick around, so does Viciedo.

But does Ozzie have the cojones to give the pink slip to one of the veterans (Jones or Kotsay)?

Hands down, Kotsay needs to go. He brings nothing of value to this team.

It will be interesting.

rookie
08-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Well, that was way more fun than doing yardwork. Time for the crazy stretch to begin...

Brian26
08-01-2010, 03:37 PM
35-12 since June 9th.
6-1 homestand.

Keep it going, boys.

:winner:

Brian26
08-01-2010, 03:39 PM

Kotsay's not going anywhere.

TDog
08-01-2010, 03:42 PM
A's analysts saying this was the best start of Gonzalez's career and they are blaming a "tough decision" by the right fielder for losing the game for him. They also are blaming Jack Cust for not being a hitter today. And, indeed, Gonzalez did pitch very well today out of the windup. This was his first career complete game.

Floyd pitched a great game and got out of a tough jam after the Sox gave him some runs.

"A break goes against the A's and Gio takes the loss." They have shown the replay of the Lillibridge triple about a dozen times.

Of course, if Carson doesn't dive for the ball, he doesn't catch it, two runs score and the Sox are still hitting with two on. And it looked like the wind kept a Viciedo drive to right from going out of the ballpark.

Coops4Aces
08-01-2010, 03:43 PM
The Lillibeast strikes again. :cool:
Great overall game. Floyd is just amazing.

I'm so glad this nickname is catching on :D:

You are right, unfortunately

LoveYourSuit
08-01-2010, 03:45 PM

I realize that, but is it fair for the other guys who are contributing on the field to be sent down?

Kotsay has not made any contributions so far.

Maybe on the bench/clubhouse, if that's the case sit him next to Cora with a clipboard.

happydude
08-01-2010, 03:48 PM

But does Ozzie have the cojones to give the pink slip to one of the veterans (Jones or Kotsay)?

It will be interesting.

Maybe he's a daily patsy at the clubhouse poker table; there's value in that. :smile:

doublem23
08-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Somebody has to go when Teahen comes back. Can't we all dream? :cool:

LITTLE NELL
08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Now we have to some work to do on the road. We are getting the Tigers at a down time and then Baltimore, 6-2 would be nice but I will settle for 5-3.

TDog
08-01-2010, 03:53 PM

It's odd that after a strong win against a pitcher who pitched the best game of his major league career -- a pitcher who has walked the ballpark some days but didn't walk anyone going eight today -- a game in which Kotsay didn't play and the Sox DH got two hits and drove in the fourth run, people are complaining about Kotsay.

The Sox went, what, 18-8 and 18-9 in the last two months? They won their first game in August? And people area complaining about Kotsay in the postgame thread?

I agree with something Voodoo posted in the game thread. When Teahen comes back, I expect Kotsay to go on the DL with his sore back until the rosters are expanded, not unlike Wise was disabled last year in favor of Rios. The Rios move didn't help the White Sox last season, but that doesn't mean nobody would do it over again.

Brian26
08-01-2010, 03:54 PM
And it looked like the wind kept a Viciedo drive to right from going out of the ballpark.

Tough to say on that Tank ball. I actually didn't think it was going to carry to the track when it came off the bat. The wind may have actually pushed it farther than it should have gone.

SOXSINCE'70
08-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Now we have to some work to do on the road. We are getting the Tigers at a down time and then Baltimore, 6-2 would be nice but I will settle for 5-3.

I thought the Sox were playing 4 with the Tiggers and 3 w/the O's.
Tiggers one of the best home teams in the AL.Better bring the "A" game.
It will be nice to hand Buck Showalter a series loss (hopefully).:D:

Coops4Aces
08-01-2010, 03:56 PM
It's odd that after a strong win against a pitcher who pitched the best game of his major league career -- a pitcher who has walked the ballpark some days but didn't walk anyone going eight today -- a game in which Kotsay didn't play and the Sox DH got two hits and drove in the fourth run, people are complaining about Kotsay.

The Sox went, what, 18-8 and 18-9 in the last two months? They won their first game in August? And people area complaining about Kotsay in the postgame thread?

I agree with something Voodoo posted in the game thread. When Teahen comes back, I expect Kotsay to go on the DL with his sore back until the rosters are expanded, not unlike Wise was disabled last year in favor of Rios. The Rios move didn't help the White Sox last season, but that doesn't mean nobody would do it over again.

Technically the DH was Pierre, but really it was Jones. He doesn't play today if we have an everyday DH.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Somebody has to go when Teahen comes back. Can't we all dream? :cool:

Why not just keep Teahen away? Outside of a 8 or so game stretch before he got hurt, the guy was hot garbage, offensively and defensively.

I can dream too...

palehozenychicty
08-01-2010, 03:58 PM
A good win, with a big hit from the Lillibeast. Bobby has been eating his Wheaties lately. I like it. :D:

TDog
08-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Tough to say on that Tank ball. I actually didn't think it was going to carry to the track when it came off the bat. The wind may have actually pushed it farther than it should have gone.

I will have to defer to your judgment. I was watching the A's coverage. The A's announcers said they thought the wind kept it in ballpark. But they are still complaining that they didn't win Friday night because a grand slam against Harrell was kept in the ballpark by the wind.

It's a moot point, of course. The fact is, he hit it very well. It wasn't a hit, but the Sox won. No one got hurt. Everything should be good today.

LoveYourSuit
08-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Who's complaining?

I brought it up because a move is coming. It's a good problem to have, no one is complaining.

Quit being so sensitive.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I thought the Sox were playing 4 with the Tiggers and 3 w/the O's.
Tiggers one of the best home teams in the AL.Better bring the "A" game.
It will be nice to hand Buck Showalter a series loss (hopefully).:D:

Out of all the games coming up, the series that makes me the most nervous is the Baltimore series.

It seems like no matter how bad they are, they always play out of their minds against us, and the O's, more than any team, are Bobby Jenks' kryptonite...I don't even remember the last time Bobby got a save against them.

Not trying to be a dark cloud (because I'm not), but series like this one are the ones to watch out for.

TDog
08-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Technically the DH was Pierre, but really it was Jones. He doesn't play today if we have an everyday DH.

I stand corrected. I now see why Kotsay is to blame for the problems with today's game.

Coops4Aces
08-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I stand corrected. I now see why Kotsay is to blame for the problems with today's game.

:rolleyes: No one blamed Kotsay for anything

SOXSINCE'70
08-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Out of all the games coming up, the series that makes me the most nervous is the Baltimore series.

Not trying to be a dark cloud (because I'm not), but series like this one are the ones to watch out for.

I agree. Despite my sarcasm, the O's series concerns me as well.
Let's try to keep them quiet next weekend, and PLEASE keep the ball down, Bobby.:praying:

SCCWS
08-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I think Tank goes down to learn 1st base.

ChiSoxGirl
08-01-2010, 04:09 PM

It seems like no matter how bad they are, they always play out of their minds against us, and the O's, more than any team, are Bobby Jenks' kryptonite...I don't even remember the last time Bobby got a save against them.

Oh, Christ... I forgot about that! For the record, I agree with you on being the most nervous about the wrap-around series with Baltimore.

SOXSINCE'70
08-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Forgot about the wrap around. Sorry.:redface:

LITTLE NELL
08-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Forgot about the wrap around. Sorry.:redface:

No problem. Easy mistake to make, rare Monday game after 3 on the weekend.

BlackandWhiteSox
08-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Very nice outing by Floyd. If Coop could help him fix his April/May struggles that he's had every year except '08, Floyd could potentially be an ace. He's certainly pitching like one in his last 11 starts(1.07 ERA if I'm correct). Yet another nice outing by Bobby, I think/hope he's finally back to pre-All Star break form. Of course Thornton and JJ shut it down yet again, they're the closest we're going to get to the Cotts/Politte duo of '05. Lillibeast(I like the name by the way) coming up big again, really nice surprise he's been this year. Would love to sweep the Ti-girls, but I'd settle for 3 of 4. :smile:

Coops4Aces
08-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Very nice outing by Floyd. If Coop could help him fix his April/May struggles that he's had every year except '08, Floyd could potentially be an ace. He's certainly pitching like one in his last 11 starts(1.07 ERA if I'm correct). Yet another nice outing by Bobby, I think/hope he's finally back to pre-All Star break form. Of course Thornton and JJ shut it down yet again, they're the closest we're going to get to the Cotts/Politte duo of '05. Lillibeast(I like the name by the way) coming up big again, really nice surprise he's been this year. Would love to sweep the Ti-girls, but I'd settle for 3 of 4. :smile:

Why was "Floyd" in teal? :scratch:

LongLiveFisk
08-01-2010, 04:59 PM

I'm seeing it in pink. :?:

BlackandWhiteSox
08-01-2010, 05:00 PM

It's not in Teal or supposed to convey sarcasm, it's in Pink as joke(Floyd in Pink = Pink Floyd :tongue:). I don't know if the color I picked is in fact Pink or not, but it's the closest to Pink without being hard on the eyes to read. :smile:

Coops4Aces
08-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm seeing it in pink. :?:

It's not in Teal or supposed to convey sarcasm, it's in Pink as joke(Floyd in Pink = Pink Floyd :tongue:). I don't know if the color I picked is in fact Pink or not, but it's the closest to Pink without being hard on the eyes to read. :smile:

:redface: I just assumed it was meant to be teal.

TomBradley72
08-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Lillibridge is a completely transformed player...very impressive taking the ball to right field.

I'll bet Kotsay is gone when Teahen comes back...Viciedo and Lillibridge are going to help us more in August than a second left handed utility player.

sox1970
08-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Lillibridge is a completely transformed player...very impressive taking the ball to right field.

I'll bet Kotsay is gone when Teahen comes back...Viciedo and Lillibridge are going to help us more in August than a second left handed utility player.

I was thinking Lillibridge, but now I think it may be Viciedo going. It may make more sense just to send him to Charlotte to play everyday, and he'll be back on September 1st.

I'd be very surprised if Kotsay was let go. I think he's a valuable bench player still. Key words being bench player.

soxlady8
08-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Freaking fantastic game :)

I just got back. I bought myself a ticket this morning right before the Tickmaster window closed on the net. Thanks Ewok for the code.
Stubhub prices for today were ridiculous.

I sat in section 110 , row 7 and it was awesome. I really like sitting along the 3rd base side or by the pen , but it was a nice change.
I sat next to some very nice people from Seattle and also some very nice people from Montreal. Both groups were visiting Chicago.

IT was so intense going into the 6th innning. I am so glad that The Bridge {okay I guess I have to call him Lillibeast now } ripped open the game. Gavin had some wicked stuff going and Bobby nailed the save down.

I hung out by the player's lot after the game and I finally got Bacon
and Paulie to sign my hat. I even had a little chit chat w Paulie about the upcoming road trip and the fact that Seattle couldn't help us out against the Twinkies. BOTH GUYS were really kind to the 7 of us still hangin' on for hope at 5pm for autos !

I am on cloud 9 right now.

voodoochile
08-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Gavin Rocks, The Beast rolls, Bobby nails and of course...

:soxwin:

:)

:bandance:

WhiteSox5187
08-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I agree. Despite my sarcasm, the O's series concerns me as well.
Let's try to keep them quiet next weekend, and PLEASE keep the ball down, Bobby.:praying:

At the end of the day, no matter how bad a team is they are still a major league team and can cause problems. As fans it's easy to sit back and take a series easy, but players can't do that and I don't think they will for Baltimore. Every series is worrisome.

Zakath
08-01-2010, 07:34 PM
No problem. Easy mistake to make, rare Monday game after 3 on the weekend.

The irritating thing is that the Monday game is a night game after a Sunday day game. Orioles couldn't give us the courtesy of a day getaway game when we come home to play the Twins on Tuesday. Twins actually have Monday off and a day getaway game with Cleveland on Sunday.

I seriously don't think that Baltimore's attendance is going to be much different if the game were during the day vs. at night. They might be better off scheduling all their games to start at like 3 am, so no one actually has to watch how bad they are.

soxinem1
08-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I will have to defer to your judgment. I was watching the A's coverage. The A's announcers said they thought the wind kept it in ballpark. But they are still complaining that they didn't win Friday night because a grand slam against Harrell was kept in the ballpark by the wind.

It's a moot point, of course. The fact is, he hit it very well. It wasn't a hit, but the Sox won. No one got hurt. Everything should be good today.

Ah, the big 'What If'.

Someone needs to give those OAK announcers a dose of reality. Every team in sports can make the 'If it only..... would have happened we would have won' claim many times during the course of the year.

What the A's announcers should have said was 'Why is Bob Geren starting a guy the White Sox have seen before?'

'Perhaps we should have brought a AA pitcher up for games one and three of this series'.

GoGoCrede
08-01-2010, 09:04 PM
I love you, Gavin.

That is all.

JB98
08-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Against this particular Oakland pitcher, Lillibridge was the exact guy you'd want up with the bases loaded. All the strong right-handed hitters on the Sox had all kinds of trouble waiting back on the off-speed stuff from Gonzalez. They were out in front of everything and striking out all day. Lillibridge, OTOH, hit the ball hard twice to the opposite field -- the correct approach. Fortunately, that one fell in and rolled out toward the fence for a 3-run triple.

Coops4Aces
08-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Did the thought of an inside-the-park grand slam cross anyone else's mind?

hi im skot
08-01-2010, 09:24 PM

I was screaming for it early on, but yeah, the triple certainly worked. :smile:

BlackandWhiteSox
08-01-2010, 10:01 PM
:redface: I just assumed it was meant to be teal.

It's all good, I think I seen someone do that before too(put their message in pink instead of teal) so I understand why that would be confusing.

The Bridge {okay I guess I have to call him Lillibeast now }

Personally I like Bridge better too, but Lillibeast seems to have caught on and it's not a bad name either.

As soon as it got by Carson that's exactly what I thought and almost screamed like hi im skot too, that would have been an amazing feat.

TDog
08-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Ah, the big 'What If'.

Someone needs to give those OAK announcers a dose of reality. Every team in sports can make the 'If it only..... would have happened we would have won' claim many times during the course of the year.

What the A's announcers should have said was 'Why is Bob Geren starting a guy the White Sox have seen before?'

'Perhaps we should have brought a AA pitcher up for games one and three of this series'.

The White Sox have a winning record this year against starting pitchers they have not seen before. Even Strasburg didn't beat the Sox, although he didn't get the loss. It was the A's who were beaten by a minor-league callup making his major league debut.

Maybe that was your point.

Nelfox02
08-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Great game to be in the crowd today

Kudos to the Sox for another fun and well run kids day event, my son greatly enjoyed it

Never like to see a guy get plunked, but as soon as it was clear the Jones was okay I turned to my friend and said "this could work out for us, lost the power of Jones but get a guy who has been a great contact hitter since coming back" few seconds later bam.....very exciting, great atmosphere

Loved the Pierre bunt

I thought the biggest moment for Floyd came in that Cust at bat, that guy kills the Sox, you had him 3-2.......if you walk him you now have just a 2 run advantage, 1 out, set up for a big inning.....but Gavin made the pitch he needed to for a huge K
8 games coming up----aim to split in D-Town (nice not to have to face Verlander) and then we really have to take 3 of 4 at Baltimore before coming home to face Minn......Tampa has been hot at the trop, I am banking on them taking 2 (hopefully more) from the Twinks in this upcoming four game set.......

Great game sox

Zisk77
08-01-2010, 10:54 PM

Only you and Officer Karkovice.

hawkjt
08-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Anther pitchers duel between the A's and Sox...what nu?
Both pitchers were filthy. Gio has a lot of game. But Gavin is the machine out there. For 11 starts, he is just automatic... close to no-no stuff.
What a run!

Brent saved the day,tho. Without that clutch hit, we are in trouble.
He has hit ropes since he returned. Like a lot of guys since early June,just very hot,and in a rare start,no less. The Sox have gotten great performances from occasional starters like dayan and brent in this stretch.

Now, on to Detroit. The Sox hold the tigers fate in their hands,almost,the next ten days. Win 5 of 7 and the Tigers are double digit back and on life support. Need a big road trip to set them up...and keep pace with the torrid Twins. Go Rays.

BadBobbyJenks
08-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Let's figure out how to get Gavin to throw a curveball in April and May and we might have a Cy Young award winner.

Saracen
08-02-2010, 01:03 AM
:thumbsup: to the Pierre bunt. That was a thing of beauty.

twinsuck
08-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Let's figure out how to get Gavin to throw a curveball in April and May and we might have a Cy Young award winner.
definitely possible. I think Gavin will throw a no-no one these days too. He's came close so many times.

PeteWard
08-02-2010, 03:31 AM

Really? I am way more concerned about Detroit than Baltimore - especially with them knowing there season is over if they don't go at least 3-1 against the Sox.

PeteWard
08-02-2010, 03:33 AM
:thumbsup: to the Pierre bunt. That was a thing of beauty.

Yep that was nice. The 3 bagger for the A's being about 15 feet out of position helped.

LITTLE NELL
08-02-2010, 06:31 AM
The irritating thing is that the Monday game is a night game after a Sunday day game. Orioles couldn't give us the courtesy of a day getaway game when we come home to play the Twins on Tuesday. Twins actually have Monday off and a day getaway game with Cleveland on Sunday.

I seriously don't think that Baltimore's attendance is going to be much different if the game were during the day vs. at night. They might be better off scheduling all their games to start at like 3 am, so no one actually has to watch how bad they are.

I'm pretty sure at one time, MLB had a rule that on get-away day you had to play a day game if your next game was more than 500 miles by air.
Its 705 miles from Baltimore to Chicago by air.

TDog
08-02-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm pretty sure at one time, MLB had a rule that on get-away day you had to play a day game if your next game was more than 500 miles by air.
Its 705 miles from Baltimore to Chicago by air.

That was either a rule or a players' union agreement. The definition of a day game was a game that started before 6 p.m., and one team scheduled a "day game" at 5:30 or 5:45 on a getaway day that caused some consternation with the other team, so I know there was something in place.

Of course, they used to play Sunday doubleheaders with both teams getting Monday off.

soxinem1
08-02-2010, 12:54 PM

It will be interesting.

Andruw is hitting the loudest .200 in MLB and is easily the best or second best defensive OF on the team. Who else can back up at ALL OF positions on this team?

He can also play 1B once in awhile if needed.

Kotsay cannot play the OF at all so his talents at DH/1B/PH are limited.

Teahen can't play well anywhere defensively every day but at least he is mobile enough to fill in at 3B, 1B, RF, and LF.

Lillibridge is hitting, so why drop him?

Guess that leaves only one LOGICAL answer.....

Ozzie, are you listening?