Losers:

White Sox
Giants
Tigers
Twins
Cards
Rays

---------------------------

Funny that he deemed all 3 AL Central division contenders as losers. Seems to be pretty spot on overall.

SOXSINCE'70
08-01-2010, 11:20 AM
The standings will tell the story in October. Let's leave it at that.

guillensdisciple
08-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I'll take my chances with this loss.

Also, if all the other Central teams lost that are in contention, I am okay considering we're beating those other teams right now.

Zakath
08-01-2010, 11:22 AM
None of the 3 AL Central teams really got what they needed. Sox were looking for a bat and didn't get one. Twins needed a starter and didn't get one. Tigers need a little of everything and got Peralta.

And I consider the Nationals a big loser, since they couldn't unload Dunn.

Slappy
08-01-2010, 11:26 AM
None of the 3 AL Central teams really got what they needed. Sox were looking for a bat and didn't get one. Twins needed a starter and didn't get one. Tigers need a little of everything and got Peralta.

And I consider the Nationals a big loser, since they couldn't unload Dunn.

Heh.

With the waiver wire coming up, it gives me hope. It's funny, it's like all 3 AL Central teams were seeing who could spend/trade as little as possible and still contend.

Slappy
08-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Also, if all the other Central teams lost that are in contention, I am okay considering we're beating those other teams right now.

Basically, his reasoning (and it's hard for me to disagree with this) is that the Sox hold a slippery lead on first place, our offense ranks in the bottom half of MLB, and another solid bat could have gone a long way. We didn't get one.

There's still the waiver wire coming up, so we'll see...

Twins_Morneau
08-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't say we absolutely needed a starter. Call up Duensing(who is like a clone of Lilly) has stabilized the rotation.

And Kenny did alright with getting Jackson. I think the only losers from the Central are the Kittens.

TDog
08-01-2010, 12:30 PM
A's people and fans are upset that the Rangers were able to add payroll despite being in bankruptcy.

I don't think you can rank the White Sox as losers. They upgraded their fifth starter while giving up little more than the fifth starter they were upgrading.

The Twins upgraded their closer giving up a minor leaguer.

munchman33
08-01-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't disagree with the reasoning, but it's hard to be upset because we did get better. :shrug:

We needed a starter and a bat. We got the starter. That'll go a long way in the fight for the division championship, because it was a need. Minnesota got better too, but they really only needed a starter. Instead they strengthened a bullpen that ranked amongst the best in baseball. They're better for it, but perhaps only marginally.

The Tigers don't scare me. They needed to pickup Fielder or Dunn to get into this conversation.

I like our team a lot more than I did a few weeks ago. The Peavy loss was going to be devastating to this teams chances if we were going to throw Hudson out there in his stead. Jackson's talent infusion has a worst case scenario of being only 5th starter good. He'll more likely be better than that, and can offset any late season issues we're all expecting Freddie to hit.