PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Can't win 'em all 7-31 postgame thread

SoxSpeed22
07-31-2010, 09:37 PM
Bad 2nd inning dooms us and Braden was too good.
Discuss

LoveYourSuit
07-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Viciedo still looks like the real deal, even versus a good pitcher.

This guy needs to play every night.

Zakath
07-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Bad 2nd inning dooms us and Braden was too good.
Discuss

You mean disgust.

Pitchers all over the AL should be practicing their change-ups for when they face us, because we can't hit them, no matter how good we're playing at any given time.

Just one of the 60 that you're destined to lose.

But the Twins still suck.

Nelfox02
07-31-2010, 09:39 PM
yuck..........as I said in gamethread this one a bit easier to take if Twins lose tonight, but they dont, and now just a 1/2 game lead....

Need a solid W tomorrow, go Gavin

Go M's

WhiteSox5187
07-31-2010, 09:40 PM
God I can't wait for the Twins to play someone other than Baltimore or Seattle. Soft tossing lefties give us fits.

SOXfnNlansing
07-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Tonight was one of those games I had on the tv and the sound off. Saw some guys on base, looked over and bad things happened. At least the Sox didn't get shut out. Win tomorrow and we got a 6-1 homestand!

sox1970
07-31-2010, 09:44 PM
18-9 in June
18-8 in July

I'll take it.

Next 18 games are absolutely huge.

october23sp
07-31-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm mostly sick of the unbeatable Twins.

Nelfox02
07-31-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm mostly sick of the unbeatable Twins.

all these games later but I am still stuck on that 4 game set at Target, where we did play poorly, even the one we won was very nearly a loss.......we go 2-2 there, dare I say 3, a bit more slack now

always dangerous to give those guys a spark.........

LITTLE NELL
07-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Hate to lose with our best pitcher going for us, got to win Sunday.

After Sunday, Twins have to play 4 with the Rays in St. Pete, going to have to make a trip over there and root for the Rays to beat them.

Zakath
07-31-2010, 09:50 PM
18-9 in June
18-8 in July

I'll take it.

Next 18 games are absolutely huge.

And 11 of them are on the road. The ****ty part of it is the Orioles scheduling a Sunday afternoon game and then a Monday night game on get-away day, right before we come home to play the Twins, while the Twins have Monday off after a day game in Cleveland on Sunday.

Jurr
07-31-2010, 09:51 PM
The Sox and Twins both smoked the soft part of their respective schedules. Here comes the tough part. Detroit, Baltimore, and then a whole lot of Twins.

Zakath
07-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Hate to lose with our best pitcher going for us, got to win Sunday.

After Sunday, Twins have to play 4 with the Rays in St. Pete, going to have to make a trip over there and root for the Rays to beat them.

Rays are going to have to avoid a let-down coming off the Yankees' series, which could put them in first place if they sweep (won the first game, tied late in the second game).

october23sp
07-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Tomorrow is now a must win, in the sense that we should be able to go 2-1 at home against them. Not a must win for the season.

Foulke You
07-31-2010, 10:00 PM
all these games later but I am still stuck on that 4 game set at Target, where we did play poorly, even the one we won was very nearly a loss.......we go 2-2 there, dare I say 3, a bit more slack now

Yeah, that series was real tough. We had a chance to put some distance between us and them and it just didn't happen. Hopefully, we can get some payback in August when they come to play us here in Chicago.

Meanwhile, I always have a tough time telling whether we had a good game thrown against us tonight or if it was just another case of the "soft tossing lefty with decent change up syndrome". Definitely reminded me of games against Ted Lilly, CJ Wilson, and Dana Eveland from earlier this year. Even Mitch Talbot, despite being right handed beat us twice because he had a super slow change up.

MarySwiss
07-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Wow, what time did this game start? :?:

I got home a little before 7 our time, which would be 9 your time, expecting to see at least a couple of innings, and all I got was the postgame show. Was this game just really fast?

Hitmen77
07-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Tomorrow is now a must win, in the sense that we should be able to go 2-1 at home against them. Not a must win for the season.

Agreed. Yeah, it's not a "must win" for the season, but we have to win games like those. If we lose again tomorrow then it's back to back weekends where we drop 2 of 3 to the A's after winning the first game.

In the 2nd half, we're going to have to win series from teams other than the Mariners!

Also agreed. Ugh. We had a golden opportunity to send them reeling after we dropped them 4.5 back after game 1. Instead, we breathed life back into what was a struggling team by gift wrapping two games to them (game 2 were our 4 errors led to 5 unearned runs and game 4 when we couldn't hold a 6-3 run in the 9th.). That's a 4 game swing right there and we gave the Twins momentum.

Let's hold our 1st place lead tomorrow and then take our chances when the Twins play someone other than a last place team.

Brian26
07-31-2010, 10:21 PM
God I can't wait for the Twins to play someone other than Baltimore or Seattle.

If we get to go 9-1 against Seattle, it's only fair that the Twins get to the play them too.

GoSox2K3
07-31-2010, 10:28 PM
God I can't wait for the Twins to play someone other than Baltimore or Seattle. Soft tossing lefties give us fits.

White Sox record this year against everyone except NL teams and Seattle:
34-40

Our team has a nice win total in June and July, but then we don't look so great against Oakland. The only "bad" team we have left is Baltimore. Beyond that, we have to do better than 6 games under .500 vs. the rest of the AL if this team is anything but a pretender.

october23sp
07-31-2010, 10:30 PM
If we get to go 9-1 against Seattle, it's only fair that the Twins get to the play them too.

But that doesn't mean I can't get very excited for when they play the Rays.

SoxSpeed22
07-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Wow, what time did this game start? :?:
Six. Other than that second inning, the game went by real quickly.

MarySwiss
07-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Six. Other than that second inning, the game went by real quickly.

Ah, that makes sense then! I was expecting it to start closer to seven your time, which is I believe the usual starting time.

thomas35forever
07-31-2010, 11:09 PM
It'd be easier to take if our lead wasn't cut to half a game, but I guess Danks was due for a game like this.

SephClone89
07-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Ah, that makes sense then! I was expecting it to start closer to seven your time, which is I believe the usual starting time.

All Saturday night games start at 6:05 central. I think this is uniform across baseball. 6pm local.

TDog
07-31-2010, 11:40 PM
This mirrored last Sunday's game in Oakland when the A's scored four in the second against an inexperienced pitcher. The story of this game for the Sox is that Danks didn't pitch well at the beginning of the game and allowed Braden to settle in. With his elbow problems, I'm surprised Braden was able to pitch nine.

The Sox got their leadoff man on quite a bit. Braden's move pretty much shuts down the stolen bases, but in a close game, the Sox could have bunted and hit and run. Braden was getting his curve over for strikes consistently and his nasty changeup was working, so it might not have mattered. But for the second straight weekend, the Sox let Braden settle in with a big lead against them.

This game was all about pitching, very good pitching and pitching that wasn't going to be good enough considering the matchup.

TDog
07-31-2010, 11:48 PM

The Twins get to play the Mariners 10 times too, and have four more games left. The thing is, the Twins lost three out of four in Seattle at the end of May/beginning of June and will play their last three games against the Mariners in Seattle at the end of August.

As of this moment, the Twins are 3-3 against the Mariners on the season.

Streets
08-01-2010, 01:13 AM
What a ****-tastic game to attend. Garbage.

Domeshot17
08-01-2010, 01:35 AM
This is what happens with an offense like this. It rarely can make up for weak pitching. No one showed today outside Tank, who shows up everyday it feels like. Danks was off. Andruw Jones was terrible in the field and on the bases, and his last at bat was moronic. Konerko was bad towards the end of the game.

The worst part was this team quit in the 8th. I was at the game, and playing through college you learn body language on guys. During warmups top 8 and top 9, guys were dropping balls playing catch, Alexei missed a grounder PK threw him then walked after it. AJ walked out of the dugout, threw down to 2nd a poor throw, Beckham made a weak attempt to field it then kind of casually chased it down. This team packed it in.

At 43 Omar can't play every game, but this **** doesn't happen when he is on the field.

Pena kind of set that tone, 2 runs back was momentum and as usual he comes out and gives 1 back. I know he has had a couple of games in long relief that looked good, but the guys era is nearing 5, hes been pretty spotty.

Games like today make me really wish we added another bat. We just need to bite the bullet and roll with Quentin in RF, Omar at 3rd and Dayan at DH. It is our best lineup to win versus lefties or righties.

GoGoCrede
08-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Went out drinking with friends, so I didn't see much of this game...yeah. Better next time?

The game sure zipped by, though. I think Danks had a rough night.

Coops4Aces
08-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Man that game sucked to attend. 35k+ got to see garbage. How pathetic is it that I can sit in the stands and predict every time Braden was about to strike one of our guys out with a changeup? I was sitting behind a group of Red Sox fans on vacation. One guy turns around and asks if we are always this bad against Braden-type pitchers. Same old MO against a soft tossing lefty, ugh.

EDIT: Who the **** gets picked off first base when their team is down 5? Sorry voodoo, but no way Jones is the winning pick to click simply because of one swing. And I wanted to punch him after his "at-bat" in the 9th.

hi im skot
08-01-2010, 01:57 AM
I generally don't like to give the opposing pitching too much credit, but Braden pitched a very solid game. He kept the Sox off-balance all night.

It's unfortunate that one bad inning did Danks in, but with the way Braden was pitching tonight, he was still likely going to end up on the losing end.

Win the series tomorrow.

Coops4Aces
08-01-2010, 02:03 AM
No doubt they packed it in domeshot. One thing you are mistaken about though is that Beckham didn't even go get the ball in the outfield, the 2nd base ump had to run after it.

Oh, and Rios popped out to the catcher in the 8th. He hardly even ran to first and instead of grabbing his back and bringing to back to the dugout, he just walked past it like a baby and made the bat boy run out and get it.

Complete garbage tonight.

october23sp
08-01-2010, 02:07 AM
34-40

I really hate when people pull out **** like that. We have obviously played better recently, it just so happened that it came when we played the NL. We were **** until June 9th. :shrug:

Nellie_Fox
08-01-2010, 02:21 AM
No doubt they packed it in domeshot. One thing you are mistaken about though is that Beckham didn't even go get the ball in the outfield, the 2nd base ump had to run after it.

Oh, and Rios popped out to the catcher in the 8th. He hardly even ran to first and instead of grabbing his back and bringing to back to the dugout, he just walked past it like a baby and made the bat boy run out and get it.

Complete garbage tonight.Seriously, they lost a game. After a very, very long home-game winning streak. And this is what you come up with? If I just dropped in without knowing what's going on, I'd swear the Sox just lost another in a long slump, and were completely out of the pennant race. Get a grip, will ya?

WhiteSox5187
08-01-2010, 02:50 AM
I really hate when people pull out **** like that. We have obviously played better recently, it just so happened that it came when we played the NL. We were **** until June 9th. :shrug:

I don't get that either, it's like "The Sox have never won a game where they have been trailing after nine innings."

Zakath
08-01-2010, 07:21 AM
34-40

Take Cleveland (4-8) and KC (6-6) out of that total and you get 24-26, which is our record vs. the AL teams at or over .500. Not as good as it could be or should be, but it means we're at least holding our own vs. the teams we're roughly equal with.

We have 19 games left with the crappy AL teams (Baltimore 7 times, Cleveland and KC 6 each) and 40 games with the contenders (Detroit 14, MF Twins 9, Boston 7, Oakland 4, Angels 3, Yankees 3). For this team to win this, we need probably 13-15 wins from the first group and 23-25 from the second, the low end of that giving us 94 wins.

hawkjt
08-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Braden threw a no-hitter earlier this year for a reason...he is good.
He was on tonite, and when a team runs into a guy who has it going on like that, they will get beat...even if they have won 19 of 20 at home.

Johnny was not super sharp tonite,and lets face it, the A's are a hot hitting team the last two weeks or so, despite their bad averages.
I hate playing the A's in the second half,when they always play better baseball,like most Ca. teams. I dread our trip out there on Sept 20. That road trip to Anaheim and Oakland will loom over our last push to the end.

We got us a pennant race,gang,and it is gonna be bumpy.

Frankfan4life
08-01-2010, 08:49 AM
It's tough to lose any game. Period. Yesterday's loss hurt a lot more because it ended two winning streaks, the Sox did not play particularly well, and the Twins won.

On the plus side, we're still in first place and that was a damn good fireworks show last night. Let's go get that win today, boys!

slavko
08-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Man that game sucked to attend. 35k+ got to see garbage. How pathetic is it that I can sit in the stands and predict every time Braden was about to strike one of our guys out with a changeup? I was sitting behind a group of Red Sox fans on vacation. One guy turns around and asks if we are always this bad against Braden-type pitchers. Same old MO against a soft tossing lefty, ugh.

EDIT: Who the **** gets picked off first base when their team is down 5? Sorry voodoo, but no way Jones is the winning pick to click simply because of one swing. And I wanted to punch him after his "at-bat" in the 9th.

Like, it happened almost every time, Sherlock. :redneck

Pickoff move. Bad scouting. I'm serious on that one.

guillensdisciple
08-01-2010, 12:23 PM

I am going to second that, but be careful, some people might call you too optimistic.

Coops4Aces
08-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Seriously, they lost a game. After a very, very long home-game winning streak. And this is what you come up with? If I just dropped in without knowing what's going on, I'd swear the Sox just lost another in a long slump, and were completely out of the pennant race. Get a grip, will ya?

Get a grip? I'm perfectly fine. They played awful last night. If I am wrong about anything I posted then let me know.

sachin
08-01-2010, 12:42 PM
What? The Sox have a winning record and lead the division? But, the Sox cannot come back after the loss against the Twins!

TDog
08-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Like, it happened almost every time, Sherlock. :redneck

Pickoff move. Bad scouting. I'm serious on that one.

It wasn't bad scouting. Jones had an incredibly short lead for someone who got picked off. It looked like two steps. And he was leaning toward first. The White Sox were aware Braden had a great move. They had seen it last weekend. Pierre had a very short lead by Pierre standards and wasn't going anywhere. Against another pitcher Pierre would have had a better lead and might have been in motion (steal or hit-and-run) and stayed out of the doubleplay in the first inning.

Braden just made a great play.

Nellie_Fox
08-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Get a grip? I'm perfectly fine. They played awful last night. If I am wrong about anything I posted then let me know.
What you were wrong about was your insane overreaction.

Coops4Aces
08-02-2010, 02:13 AM
What you were wrong about was your insane overreaction.

What's the worst thing I said? Complete garbage? And it was spot on. Wow, what an insane overreaction!

Nellie_Fox
08-02-2010, 02:15 AM
What's the worst thing I said? Complete garbage? And it was spot on. Wow, what an insane overreaction!Yes. It was an insane overreaction to one loss in a stretch of very good baseball.

Coops4Aces
08-02-2010, 02:24 AM
Yes. It was an insane overreaction to one loss in a stretch of very good baseball.

Again, you have yet to tell me one thing I said wrong. Did they not play like complete garbage? If you respond with the same nonsense once more, I will be done posting in this thread.

Nellie_Fox
08-02-2010, 02:29 AM
Again, you have yet to tell me one thing I said wrong. Did they not play like complete garbage? If you respond with the same nonsense once more, I will be done posting in this thread.No, they did not play like "complete garbage," and it's saying that that's the insane overreaction. I don't even know what that means. You're done posting in this thread? Break my heart.