PDA

View Full Version : KW has fun with Bacon and other Trade deadline notes

spawn
07-31-2010, 06:55 PM
What was posted about KW having a little fun with Beckham is true. This is awesome:

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/

It also tells me a lot of the things posted or tweeted weren't true. A good reason to not believe any of these rumors until the deals are acctually made.

Zakath
07-31-2010, 07:03 PM
What was posted about KW having a little fun with Beckham is true. This is awesome:

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/

It also tells me a lot of the things posted or tweeted weren't true. A good reason to not believe any of these rumors until the deals are acctually made.

I learned that lesson a while ago with all of the college football realignment talk that was being blown way out of proportion by essentially anonymous bloggers.

Don't believe anything until someone is ready to step up to a microphone.

Brian26
07-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Great stuff from Reifert as usual.

SephClone89
07-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Anyone at all surprised that Linebrink was the killjoy in this situation?

Coops4Aces
07-31-2010, 11:32 PM

:scratch: What?

UofCSoxFan
07-31-2010, 11:44 PM

I didn't even see Linebrink mentioned in the article.

slavko
07-31-2010, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't have done it. Fun to you is life and death to these guys. Grow up.

SephClone89
07-31-2010, 11:51 PM
:scratch: What?

I didn't even see Linebrink mentioned in the article.

Sorry guys, I was dumb and didn't read the article.

Assumed it was this one:

http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/07/williams_pulls_off_the_perfect.html

thomas35forever
07-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Not quite as good as the Brett Myers prank a couple years back, but still funny.

Ranger
07-31-2010, 11:57 PM

Oh, lighten up. Teams do this **** to each other all the time and it's funny. Remember this one:

Not quite as good as the Brett Myers prank a couple years back, but still funny.

That was also hilarious. Not only did they tell the guy he was traded, but they told him he was heading to Japan. And they even printed up an itinerary for him.

EnglishChiSox
08-01-2010, 05:32 AM
That was also hilarious. Not only did they tell the guy he was traded, but they told him he was heading to Japan. And they even printed up an itinerary for him.

It was Kyle Kendrick but yeah that was lolarious.

southside rocks
08-01-2010, 07:24 AM

Yeah! Practical jokes in a baseball clubhouse? OMG, someone's self-esteem is going to get damaged! We all know that it's all supposed to be milk and cookies all the time in a pro sports locker room!

Trades and trade rumors are "life and death"?? Seriously, don't you think you're taking this a wee bit too seriously? Can you name one player who has died as the result of a trade? Sheesh, that's like my dog acting like the bathtub is the place where dogs go to die. :rolleyes:

#1swisher
08-01-2010, 11:10 AM
LOL, got Ozzie too! :cool:

pudge
08-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Honestly, pathetic...

I'm sorry - I know this has no bearing on whether Kenny is a good GM or not, or whether he's a smart guy or a good person or not, and I realize this is the completely sophomoric world of professional sports, but I really find this sort of stuff off-putting, not at all funny, and a little cruel. We all saw it live on The Club when he was trying to do it to Randy Williams, and it was uncomfortable, not funny, and messing with a guy who has worked his entire life to get to that point.

Maybe in baseball you need this sort of stuff to lighten the mood because it's such a stressful situation, but when dealing with whether a guy made the MLB club, or whether he was traded - that is cold. Imagine your boss sitting you in a room and doing that to you? I'd be pissed as all hell. You're joking around with my livelihood.

ode to veeck
08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
who is Bacon :?::?::?::redneck

Slappy
08-01-2010, 12:57 PM
It's a prank.

Beckham seems like he's especially hard on himself, so that would probably make this even funnier to watch. Maybe it'll make him be less hard on himself, who knows. I doubt it will leave him emotionally scarred for life.

GoGoCrede
08-01-2010, 01:07 PM
who is Bacon :?::?::?::redneck

Haha, haven't seen this in a while.

voodoochile
08-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Honestly, pathetic...

I'm sorry - I know this has no bearing on whether Kenny is a good GM or not, or whether he's a smart guy or a good person or not, and I realize this is the completely sophomoric world of professional sports, but I really find this sort of stuff off-putting, not at all funny, and a little cruel. We all saw it live on The Club when he was trying to do it to Randy Williams, and it was uncomfortable, not funny, and messing with a guy who has worked his entire life to get to that point.

Maybe in baseball you need this sort of stuff to lighten the mood because it's such a stressful situation, but when dealing with whether a guy made the MLB club, or whether he was traded - that is cold. Imagine your boss sitting you in a room and doing that to you? I'd be pissed as all hell. You're joking around with my livelihood.

:rolleyes:

spawn
08-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Imagine your boss sitting you in a room and doing that to you? I'd be pissed as all hell. You're joking around with my livelihood.

It has happened to me. We had a round of layoffs a couple of years ago. You figured if the boss was calling you from a conference room, it meant you were gone. My manager did just that...and proceeded to tell me I wasn't going anywhere. I was relieved, and we both had a pretty good laugh about it. She did that with the remainder of the team. We all joke about it to this day.

As far as this situation...yeah, it's apples and oranges. The difference? If Beckham were to be traded, that means he still had a job, just in a different city. Boy, that would've really messed with his livelihood.:rolleyes:

GoGoCrede
08-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm usually uptight about pranks, but this one didn't bother me. Maybe I'm lightening up. :) Kenny didn't seem to drag it out too much, anyway. I'm sure Beckham won't think anything of it.

As an aside, I love how they gave Gordon major **** last year at ST for not knowing who Harold Baines was.

Slappy
08-01-2010, 01:45 PM
He didn't know who Baines was? I guess he is pretty young though, so that gets a pass.

pudge
08-02-2010, 11:57 AM
It has happened to me. We had a round of layoffs a couple of years ago. You figured if the boss was calling you from a conference room, it meant you were gone. My manager did just that...and proceeded to tell me I wasn't going anywhere. I was relieved, and we both had a pretty good laugh about it. She did that with the remainder of the team. We all joke about it to this day.

As far as this situation...yeah, it's apples and oranges. The difference? If Beckham were to be traded, that means he still had a job, just in a different city. Boy, that would've really messed with his livelihood.:rolleyes:

Again, I just don't get it. Not funny, not cute, not entertaining... I'm just expressing an opinion... there's a time and place for pranks... I'm with the guy who said "grow up." But we're all different, it's just interesting...

spawn
08-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Again, I just don't get it. Not funny, not cute, not entertaining... I'm just expressing an opinion... there's a time and place for pranks... I'm with the guy who said "grow up." But we're all different, it's just interesting...

I guess it's funny to those with a sense of humor. I'd bet money Beckham wasn't too put off by it. :shrug:

TomBradley72
08-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Honestly, pathetic...

Beckham is already set for life financially...being traded does not equal being fired and being out on the street with no income. Do you really think Beckham thought his career was coming to an end? Or that somehow he wouldn't be playing in the major leagues collecting a major league salary? (for the total of 60 seconds that this went on)

Coops4Aces
08-02-2010, 12:38 PM
I guess it's funny to those with a sense of humor. I'd bet money Beckham wasn't too put off by it. :shrug:

So now he doesn't have a sense a humor because he didn't like this prank?

spawn
08-02-2010, 12:42 PM
So now he doesn't have a sense a humor because he didn't like this prank?

He said it wasn't funny, so in my opinion, he doesn't have much of a sense of humor. :shrug:

Coops4Aces
08-02-2010, 12:55 PM
He said it wasn't funny, so in my opinion, he doesn't have much of a sense of humor. :shrug:

That's one hell of a sample size you're working with

spawn
08-02-2010, 12:59 PM
That's one hell of a sample size you're working with

See, now THAT'S funny! :thumbsup:

JermaineDye05
08-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Honestly, pathetic...

I honestly think the joke on Randy Williams was crueler to us fans.

BadBobbyJenks
08-02-2010, 02:32 PM
It was funny and doesn't it tell you how much the organization values Beckham when Ozzie flipped out when he thought Beckham was traded? I don't know about you, but I would laugh about the joke and I would feel great about Ozzie's reactions to the news.

GoGoCrede
08-02-2010, 03:22 PM

:lol: So true...

pudge
08-02-2010, 06:17 PM

Okay now THAT is funny.