PDA

View Full Version : Other Option for Left hander

jgstriker
07-31-2010, 04:19 PM
With our pathetic situation for an RBI producing left hander, and our missing out on Dunn and Ramirez (you have to love KW), is there another option out there for the Sox? We were all surprised last year to pick up Rios from waivers. Would there be a similar player available this year that the Sox might try and grab?

Slappy
07-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Luke Scott?

Ranger
07-31-2010, 04:32 PM
With our pathetic situation for an RBI producing left hander, and our missing out on Dunn and Ramirez (you have to love KW), is there another option out there for the Sox? We were all surprised last year to pick up Rios from waivers. Would there be a similar player available this year that the Sox might try and grab?

Yeah, because it's his fault Berkman didn't want to come here and that the Nationals wanted half of the infield and a starting pitcher for a two-month player.

Tragg
07-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Scott is bad. We just need a hitter. Give viceido more a bats, and Teahens proanly better than kotsay

Jurr
07-31-2010, 04:45 PM
We are totally screwed! We haven't scored enough runs to win a single friggin' game!

JohnTucker0814
07-31-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm actually really happy we didn't trade Jackson for Dunn. I'd have loved to have Dunn, but at this point I'd rather have Jones, Viciedo, Teahen, Kotsay DHing with Jackson as the #4 and Garcia #5... as opposed to Dunn hitting 5th in the order and Garcia as the #4 and Harrell as the #5.

I'm not "thrilled" to have Jackson in there, but honestly he's not that much older than Hudson and he has 4 yrs MLB experience. Plus it's always nice to have a guy that can get it up there 98 MPH!

jgstriker
07-31-2010, 05:02 PM
You got me wrong. I dont think Kenny whiffed on the deals, I am more joking about how balsy KW is to try to make a move for ramirez. The man is nuts. And I like it
And I know our overall lineup is doing fine, but we just do not have an RBI producing lefty for the middle of our lineup. We are winning games now, but do you really want Kotsay to be the everyday 6th man in our lineup? I hope not

Jurr
07-31-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm actually really happy we didn't trade Jackson for Dunn. I'd have loved to have Dunn, but at this point I'd rather have Jones, Viciedo, Teahen, Kotsay DHing with Jackson as the #4 and Garcia #5... as opposed to Dunn hitting 5th in the order and Garcia as the #4 and Harrell as the #5.

I'm not "thrilled" to have Jackson in there, but honestly he's not that much older than Hudson and he has 4 yrs MLB experience. Plus it's always nice to have a guy that can get it up there 98 MPH!

Couldn't have said it better.

Ranger
07-31-2010, 05:52 PM
You got me wrong. I dont think Kenny whiffed on the deals, I am more joking about how balsy KW is to try to make a move for ramirez. The man is nuts. And I like it
And I know our overall lineup is doing fine, but we just do not have an RBI producing lefty for the middle of our lineup. We are winning games now, but do you really want Kotsay to be the everyday 6th man in our lineup? I hope not

Fair enough. He's not ideal, but until it starts to absolutely kill them, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

And by the way, he's really not in the lineup everyday and he's only been the DH in 1/3 of the games. Many of the games he's in, he's playing because he's giving rest to older/health-concerned players that need those days off from the field.

Coops4Aces
07-31-2010, 10:03 PM
How could anyone win a World Series without having a big lefty bat? Err, the 2005 White Sox? This lefty bat thing is total nonsense.

DumpJerry
08-01-2010, 09:50 AM
How could anyone win a World Series without having a big lefty bat? Err, the 2005 White Sox? This lefty bat thing is total nonsense.
Come on, how would we have won Game II without that power lefty bat in the 9th?

kevingrt
08-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Make Dayan a switch hitter.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-01-2010, 10:08 AM
I get a feeling there will be a number of left-handed hitters being put on waivers by non-contenders. Even a guy like Abreu, because of his salary, might be available. And he's one of the guys they should go after.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-01-2010, 11:08 AM

I don't think the 2005 White Sox really proves anything but I agree that a lefty bat isn't necessarily a must have. The reason that this team needs a lefty bat is to replace Kotsay because of Ozzie's insistence on using him against every right handed pitcher.

TomBradley72
08-01-2010, 12:58 PM
The only position that has been struggling is the DH role. I think Viciedo/Teahen + rotating guys like Konerko/Rios/Quentin/Pierre to get them rest will be anice upgrade from what that position produced in the 1st half.

johnnyg83
08-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't think the 2005 White Sox really proves anything but I agree that a lefty bat isn't necessarily a must have. The reason that this team needs a lefty bat is to replace Kotsay because of Ozzie's insistence on using him against every right handed pitcher.

nodding head.

doublem23
08-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah, because it's his fault Berkman didn't want to come here and that the Nationals wanted half of the infield and a starting pitcher for a two-month player.

If only there was a period of "free agency" in between the seasons when teams could evaluate their rosters and add players accordingly.

Boy, that will be the day.

jgstriker
08-01-2010, 05:27 PM
The reason that this team needs a lefty bat is to replace Kotsay because of Ozzie's insistence on using him against every right handed pitcher.

Exactly... do we think Teahen can fill that role when he comes back to be the go to lefty DH? I kind of doubt it, but maybe he would be better than gunning on some big contract from the waiver wire

soxfanreggie
08-01-2010, 05:43 PM
The only position that has been struggling is the DH role. I think Viciedo/Teahen + rotating guys like Konerko/Rios/Quentin/Pierre to get them rest will be anice upgrade from what that position produced in the 1st half.

That and you never know who we'll acquire at the waiver deadline. A few more teams may end up like the D'Bacjs, Indians, and Astros if they have a large amount of players clearing waivers.

It will also be interesting to see what Sox players get put on and clear waivers.

You don't think we would have inserted an "extension" clause into the deal where it only goes through if he signs an extension with us? There is no way I make the Dunn deal or Fielder deal for anything close to what they wanted without that type of clause.

Foulke You
08-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Exactly... do we think Teahen can fill that role when he comes back to be the go to lefty DH? I kind of doubt it, but maybe he would be better than gunning on some big contract from the waiver wire
It's tough to evaluate Teahen because the sample size was so small. He started to come on a bit right before the hand got hurt. He has a nice opposite field stroke and was showing some more patience than he had earlier in his career. Again though, it was a small sample size. I do know Teahen's defense was disappointing at 3B and I don't want to see him get a lot of time there. However, Teahen is a career .268 hitter and has a bit of pop in his bat with 34 doubles last year and 12HRs. Is he Adam Dunn or Prince Fielder? Hardly. I do think some people might be discounting what he could bring to the table to help down the stretch equating our offensive turnaround with his departure. Let us not forget that the entire lineup with the exception of Konerko and Rios was in a huge funk when Teahen went down.

It really all depends on how Ozzie uses Teahen when he comes back. If you DH him against right handers or put him in RF and DH Quentin, it might give the lineup a little more power and extra left handed balance Ozzie craves.