PDA

View Full Version : Let me get this straight...

Tragg
06-24-2002, 10:25 PM
Clayton bats AGAIN in the ninth?

How long can the Sox survive this moron?

And FWIW, our defense that leads the league in fewest errors (or close) showed again how mediocre it really is.

HawkDJ
06-24-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
[B]Clayton bats AGAIN in the ninth?

I'm not sticking up for JM but just saying maybe since Royce was 2-for-3 he thought he had a better chance at hitting than say Rowand or Liefer or whoever he put up there.

Jerry_Manuel
06-24-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I'm not sticking up for JM but just saying maybe since Royce was 2-for-3 he thought he had a better chance at hitting than say Rowand or Liefer or whoever he put up there.

Even if Rowand or whoever ties the game in the 9th, who was warming up in the pen? Foulke! The Twins were going to win this game no matter what.

duke of dorwood
06-24-2002, 10:30 PM
He did hit the ball hard 3 times tonight. The problem tonight was putting Thomas third, after that steller National league showing. That's the manager. Lee cost a run on base, had no hits-

ISUSoxfan
06-24-2002, 10:30 PM

That just means Clayton has already gotten his 2 hits for the series. Josh Paul should have batted.

jklm
06-24-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Even if Rowand or whoever ties the game in the 9th, who was warming up in the pen? Foulke! The Twins were going to win this game no matter what.

I said the same thing in the chat room. "At least we won't see Foulke in a tied game situation...". "Have they (JM etc.) ever learnt??"

Daver
06-24-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
He did hit the ball hard 3 times tonight. The problem tonight was putting Thomas third, after that steller National league showing. That's the manager. Lee cost a run on base, had no hits-

Lee also made two good plays in left,but no one will mention that,so nevermind....

Tragg
06-24-2002, 10:46 PM

Considering that our bench prodution has been less than exemplary, and he hit the ball tonight, I shouldn't throw as big a tantrum about this like I usually do. However, 1)anyone on that bench is a better hitter than clayton; 2)letting the worst hitter in baseball hit because he's hot, is the same illogic that manuel used to blow a game against the Angels by pitching to one of the best hitters in the league, Glaus, because Eisenstadt was "hot"

DonkeyKongerko
06-24-2002, 10:55 PM
hmmm let the history records show that one Jerry Manuel was not the greatest judge of who is "hot" and who is "not".

PaleHoseGeorge
06-24-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Considering that our bench prodution has been less than exemplary, and he hit the ball tonight, I shouldn't throw as big a tantrum about this like I usually do. However, 1)anyone on that bench is a better hitter than clayton; 2)letting the worst hitter in baseball hit because he's hot, is the same illogic that manuel used to blow a game against the Angels by pitching to one of the best hitters in the league, Glaus, because Eisenstadt was "hot"

Down a run, it's inexcusable to have a .200 hitter batting in the ninth. Either Liefer or Rowand could tie it with one swing.

I noticed Johnson sat while Graffanino got an at-bat in the ninth. There isn't a nickel's worth of difference between MJ and Clayton at the plate, but Manuel lets his favorite .200 hitter bat anyway.

:jerry
"I wouldn't know an 'A' game if it sat on my face and wiggled."

NUKE_CLEVELAND
06-24-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Down a run, it's inexcusable to have a .200 hitter batting in the ninth. Either Liefer or Rowand could tie it with one swing.

I noticed Johnson sat while Graffanino got an at-bat in the ninth. There isn't a nickel's worth of difference between MJ and Clayton at the plate, but Manuel lets his favorite .200 hitter bat anyway.

"Come on now PHG, you know I have to let my son bat every chance he gets. He's got to do something to earn his ice cream every night."

Jerry_Manuel
06-25-2002, 07:27 AM

Yeah, Rowand or Liefer would've tied it, and Foulke would've lost it.

HawkDJ
06-25-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Osuna and Marte were unavailable.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

I wasn't able to see the game, because I was running around taking care of some very important errands, but I did get a chance to listen to Rooney and Farmer while in the car. They mentioned that he didn't want to get hit by the ball, so he moved backwards--out of the path of the hard-hit ball. I don't know, but that sounds like a pretty good reason to me!

Heather the Redbird

Foulke You
06-25-2002, 01:10 PM

Actually I would take MJ in a crucial 9th inning situation over Royce. At least MJ is a threat to walk. What was JM thinking in the 9th? Did he ACTUALLY think that Royce was good for THREE hits in ONE game??? I don't Royce has gotten 3 hits in one game EVER for the Sox.

FarmerAndy
06-25-2002, 01:31 PM

I agree, it is inexcusable. Imagine for a second though, that this was the first Sox game that you watched all season. After watching each Sox batter in the ninth inning, you wouldn't be able to tell which one was the .200 hitter.

My point is: after this team is down, every single one of them that goes to the plate is just about as good as Clayton, and that is sad. It doesn't matter who's batting .320 or whose batting .198, because when they trail after 8 innings, they all look like .198 hitters.

I still would've pinch hit for Royce, but I'm guessing that the results would be the same.

Jerry_Manuel
06-25-2002, 02:31 PM
Osuna and Marte were unavailable.

They still would've lost the game.