Astros- Carlos Lee
A's- Coco Crisp
Jays- Vernon Wells
Brewers- Edmonds
Cubs- DLee, Aramis, Soriano, Fukudome
Royals-Jose Guillen

TDog
07-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Of course, with the White Sox in first place, waiver deals can be blocked by both the Twins and Tigers.

Rohan
07-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Of course, with the White Sox in first place, waiver deals can be blocked by both the Twins and Tigers.

And that's exactly why i'm not counting on getting any of the above.

getonbckthr
07-31-2010, 04:42 PM
True but can Detroit or Minnesota financial risk claiming and being granted those guys.

getonbckthr
07-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Ok but of that list who can Minnesota realistically afford to claim?

CHISOXFAN13
07-31-2010, 04:44 PM
True but can Detroit or Minnesota financial risk claiming and being granted those guys.

Detroit has boatloads of money coming off the books next year. That's why I'm sure they would block Dunn if it came to that.

getonbckthr
07-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Detroit has boatloads of money coming off the books next year. That's why I'm sure they would block Dunn if it came to that.
Dunn I would understand because its not much money and the contract ends in 2 months. However a guy like say Matsui or Abreu (not that I want either one) has money and years left. Would Detroit be willing to risk that on thier sinking ship?

LoveYourSuit
07-31-2010, 04:46 PM

+1

I'm not holding my breathe.

The team we have right now plus Sale is the way I think we are going.

That's fine with me.

(As long as more Viciedo and less Kotsay).

Banix12
07-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Abreu and Edmonds are the only guys there that hold much interest for me. Maybe Crisp.

I think the dodgers today basically told the league they are trying for this year by making all these deals today so unless they completely fall off the ledge the next couple weeks I don't think Ramirez is moving.

Carlos Lee seems comfortable in Houston and doesn't want to waive his no trade. Same with Derrick Lee

Matsui seems done.

Wells, Soriano, Fukudome - I know they took on salary with Rios last year but that seemingly had greater upside. Don't think they can afford to do that two years in a row with arguably lesser players.

Jose Guillen - would be too worried about him wrecking team chemistry to be honest.

EDIT: Forgot Aramis. Seems to be healthy finally and I don't think the Cubs are particularly interesting with parting with him.

tm1119
07-31-2010, 05:04 PM
I would say Hawpe is a candidate as well. The Rockies are going to have to start making a run right about now or theyre out of it. If theyre 9 or 10 games back 2 weeks from now I have to believe that they would sell.

Also, the Dbacks sold just about everybody else so Laroche or Johnson could be traded, but they dont make much money so they would probably get claimed by a few teams.

The Dodgers are another team pretty far out that will want to shed money. Manny as already mentioned, but some one not in their long term plan like Casey Blake could go too.

Fukudome and Xavier Nady both from the Cubs.

Jack Cust

Russel Branyan

A lot of possibilities. Not sure if a really good player is reasonably going to happen just because we have teams chasing us that can block any player they wish. But someone like Cust, Branyan, Fukudome, or Nady could easily slip through and still be a welcomed addition to our team as a utility bat.

Brian26
07-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Abreu and Edmonds are the only guys there that hold much interest for me. Maybe Crisp.

There's no way Abreu would ever fall far enough to reach us. He's signed to a relatively affordable contract.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2010, 10:20 PM
If a player is

1. Put on waivers, and

2. Has a NTC or 10-5 rights, and

3. Is claimed by another team through the waiver process,

Can his team simply let him go to the claiming team without needing to secure his permission? And if so, does he have to go?

StillMissOzzie
08-01-2010, 01:24 AM
If a player is

1. Put on waivers, and

2. Has a NTC or 10-5 rights, and

3. Is claimed by another team through the waiver process,

Can his team simply let him go to the claiming team without needing to secure his permission? And if so, does he have to go?

I was wondering the same thing. For example, D Lee might waive hit NTC / 10 & 5 rights in order to stay in Chicago, jump on the Red Line and DH for a contender, assuming that the Cubs put him on waivers.

SMO
:gulp:

getonbckthr
08-01-2010, 02:10 AM
He has to waive the no-trade clause.

EnglishChiSox
08-01-2010, 05:05 AM
What about Travis Hafner? He's not what he once was but he could provide something at DH/PH.

Tragg
08-01-2010, 11:15 AM
The Twins take a risk trying to block a trade. Some of these players will be relinquished if claimed

TDog
08-01-2010, 12:07 PM
He has to waive the no-trade clause.

I have been told that if a 5-10 or no-trade-clause can be claimed off waivers by any team. He can only be dealt to a team he agrees to be traded to, but he can be blocked by teams he wouldn't go to.

Most players are placed on waivers that are not irrevocable. Claim a player off waivers who might have brought some talent in return at the trade deadline, and you're probably not going to just give him up for a waiver claim after the deadline. It isn't so much the game of chicken people believe it is. And even a team that gets stuck with six-to-eight weeks of a huge contract, has a player coming off the books or with trade value. If teams claim them, they are withdrawn. The Alex Rios situation last year was rare, especially for such a quality player.

Things used to be different. The 1970 White Sox, who didn't have any hopes of finishing out of last place, claimed left-handed reliever Steve Hamilton off irrevocable waivers in September, blocking him from going to a contender, and Hamilton was very vocal in his hatred for the White Sox organization. He told Look magazine before the 1971 season (concerning the change to the red pinstripes), "They're taking our names off our uniforms for our protection." And before the 1971, the White Sox traded him to the Giants.

That was pre-free agency. Salaries were lower. Two days later, they claimed pinch-hitter Lee Maye off waivers. With less than two weeks left in the season, the Cubs claimed Hoyt Wilhelm off waivers, but the Cubs considered themselves a contender at the time.

Zisk77
08-01-2010, 08:49 PM
It would be interesting if Boston tanks and becomes somewhat of a seller:

Victor Martinez
David Ortiz

Other contenders could be pretendersb and start selling as well such as:

Tigers...definitely
Dodgers
Rockies
Mets
Marlins
Angels

A. Cavatica
08-01-2010, 08:53 PM
It would be interesting if Boston tanks and becomes somewhat of a seller:

Victor Martinez
David Ortiz

Other contenders could be pretendersb and start selling as well such as:

Tigers...definitely
Dodgers
Rockies
Mets
Marlins
Angels

Bosox will certainly put Ortiz on waivers. Last season they thought he was all done and they were pissing and moaning about the money left on his contract.