PDA

View Full Version : That 9th Inning...

Viva Magglio
08-05-2001, 08:47 PM
I was seething with anger during that 9th inning. It almost made me wish that Liefer didn't hit that homer in the 8th because all it served to do is provide what turned out to be false hope. I still cannot understand why we signed Bob Howry to an extension. I am not saying get rid of him (yet), but Howry does not deserve that extention unless he proves himself.

Bmr31
08-05-2001, 08:50 PM
I agree 100 percent. I have no idea why we would pay this guy 1.5 milion a year, or whatever he is getting. Thats sick!

Tragg
08-05-2001, 08:59 PM
I think we also saw the weakness of Keith Foulke as a reliever. He's really not a guy who can pitch you out of a jam. He's a guy who can give you a scoreless inning most of the time, if he doesn't inherit runners in bad positions.

A power pitcher could have jammed some balls near that guy's ribs - he would have been a lot more hesitant to stick his face in front of that ball and bunt it.

And Foulke has been an excellent pitcher for us - no complaints. But, when people say he isn't a "classic closer", I think we saw what they meant today.

Bmr31
08-05-2001, 09:05 PM
Ive been say that keith shouldnt be closing for over a year now, and for those exact reasons you just mentioned. Hes perfect in the set up role.....