PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Trade (Lilly and Theriot Gone)

TomC727
07-31-2010, 02:05 PM
It's being reported on Yahoo Big League Stew live blog that the cubs have traded Theriot and Lilly to the Dodgers for Dewitt and unknown minor league player.

soltrain21
07-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Cubs are going to be a bad team for a while. They really missed their three year window. They had the best team on paper in the NL in 08.

Rockabilly
07-31-2010, 02:11 PM
thats all they got for Lilly & Theriot. WOW

TomC727
07-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Lilly and Theriot for Blake DeWitt & minor leaguers Brett Walch & Kyle Smit. LA also gets $2.5M

Banix12
07-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Cubs are going to be a bad team for a while. They really missed their three year window. They had the best team on paper in the NL in 08.

Yeah, that team was really built to win it that year. Unfortunately they signed all those players to long term contracts beyond 2008.

don't know much about dewitt because I haven't paid that much attention but on paper this basically seems like they are trading Lilly and Theriot for a player eerily similar to Theriot and a minor leaguer. not sure how this really does much.

soltrain21
07-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Lilly and Theriot for Blake DeWitt & minor leaguers Brett Walch & Kyle Smit. LA also gets $2.5M

I can find nothing about Brett Walch and Kyle Smit seems to be terrible.

Brian26
07-31-2010, 02:17 PM

:rolling:

It's gonna happen.

TDog
07-31-2010, 02:23 PM
I heard too that the Cubs tried to trade Derek Lee, but he refused the deal. That may have been mentioned in a thread here, but I missed it.

I don't see this deal making the Cubs better in the future. All it really could do is alienate fans -- although I would consider that a good thing for Chicago baseball.

Objectively, I see the end-of-August trade deadline as a bad thing for baseball, where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Baseball should move the non-waive deadline back to a month before the All-Star break as it used to be.

TomC727
07-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Wallach, not Walch. Sorry, typo from the blog.

soxinem1
07-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Per MLB Trade Rumors.

Let the dismantling begin.

getonbckthr
07-31-2010, 02:34 PM
How do you figure? They can, and for some reason I assume they will, resign Lilly at years end. Truly I think Dewitt is better than Theriot. They are gonna gain money from DLee being a free agent.

C-Dawg
07-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Not "The Riot".... Say it isn't true!!!

sullythered
07-31-2010, 02:35 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122297

Hitmen77
07-31-2010, 02:38 PM
:rolling:

It's gonna happen.

Indeed. Remember how Cub fans were crowing in APRIL/MAY that year that they were headed to the World Series?

It's been a while since I've seen a W flag on a house or a car.

soxfanreggie
07-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Cubs receive Blake DeWitt and 2 minor leaguers for Lilly and Theriot.

kittle42
07-31-2010, 02:44 PM
The Riot has been quieted.

Twins_Morneau
07-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Good for the Flubs, now I wonder what this means for Manny to Sox.

soxfanreggie
07-31-2010, 02:52 PM
I don't see this deal making the Cubs better in the future. All it really could do is alienate fans -- although I would consider that a good thing for Chicago.

Both guys weren't signed past this season, and I don't think Theriot had another arbitration year left - maybe one more. DeWitt will be under their control longer and cost a bit less. Essentially they let the guys go to a contender and got something in return. I would also venture they saved a bit in salary. Sure Lilly could be back, but maybe this was lime the Sox did with Thome. There was a chance we were going to bring him back, but we chose not to.

Harry Potter
07-31-2010, 02:54 PM
Apparently the Cubs asked for John Ely but were denied

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/07/reports-lilly-theriot-traded-for-dodgers-dewitt.html

LITTLE NELL
07-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Trading Theriot really surprised me, good solid player.

TDog
07-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Both guys weren't signed past this season, and I don't think Theriot had another arbitration year left - maybe one more. DeWitt will be under their control longer and cost a bit less. Essentially they let the guys go to a contender and got something in return. I would also venture they saved a bit in salary. Sure Lilly could be back, but maybe this was lime the Sox did with Thome. There was a chance we were going to bring him back, but we chose not to.

It's irrelevant if players aren't coming back at the end of the season. (And it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy if you trade someone because they arean't coming back.) Essentially, the Cubs are telling your fans who bought season tickets and who bought advance tickets for games left to be played that they don't care. Teams that sell off their talent at the end of July rarely get better.

The end-of-July trade deadline hurts the competitive balance in baseball.

However, I have no problems with the Cubs not being competitive. If people want competitive, they can follow the White Sox.

soxfanreggie
07-31-2010, 04:10 PM
It's irrelevant if players aren't coming back at the end of the season. (And it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy if you trade someone because they arean't coming back.) Essentially, the Cubs are telling your fans who bought season tickets and who bought advance tickets for games left to be played that they don't care. Teams that sell off their talent at the end of July rarely get better.

The end-of-July trade deadline hurts the competitive balance in baseball.

However, I have no problems with the Cubs not being competitive. If people want competitive, they can follow the White Sox.

The Cubs will still sell a lot of tickets next year. They'll probably nail down a few free agents for what they lose in Lee and traded away in Lilly. They may have some more empty seats this year, but I don't think they'll pay for it next year.

TDog
07-31-2010, 04:13 PM
The Cubs will still sell a lot of tickets next year. They'll probably nail down a few free agents for what they lose in Lee and traded away in Lilly. They may have some more empty seats this year, but I don't think they'll pay for it next year.

My problem isn't with the Cubs, my problem is with so much mid-season player movement.

Bob Roarman
07-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Trading Theriot really surprised me, good solid player.

I'm not. He's not too good fielding wise, negative UZR rating at -3.something, his WAR rating is negative, he's old (baseball wise) and you can't realistically expect him to be getting better in any of those areas. Theriot is good for the bench, not a good starter. DeWitt isn't much better in those areas, but he's only 24 and improving.

WhiteSox5187
07-31-2010, 05:16 PM

I read on that Cot's contracts that even with Lilly and Lee coming off the books they still have $109 million tied up in nine guys and Soto is eligible for arbitration.

Nelfox02
07-31-2010, 05:36 PM
I was hoping we would get Lilly actually.....

Hitmen77
07-31-2010, 05:40 PM
My favorite Lilly-Cubs moment was that NLDS game were he slammed his mitt on the ground after giving up a HR. Does anyone have the mini-clip of that still?

Wasn't he also the guy that Hendry allegedly signed while he was in the hospital hooked up to an EKG machine?

soxfanreggie
07-31-2010, 06:28 PM
I read on that Cot's contracts that even with Lilly and Lee coming off the books they still have $109 million tied up in nine guys and Soto is eligible for arbitration.

The negative part of backloading all those contracts rearing it's ugly head for the Cubs there. They also will have to spend a pretty penny if they want to replace Lilly and Lee with quality players.

g0g0
07-31-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm not. He's not too good fielding wise, negative UZR rating at -3.something, his WAR rating is negative, he's old (baseball wise) and you can't realistically expect him to be getting better in any of those areas. Theriot is good for the bench, not a good starter. DeWitt isn't much better in those areas, but he's only 24 and improving.

Ya, Cubs fans are happy to get rid of him for the most part. The guy didn't want to play his part in the offense and they suffered (along with his defensive woes).

Soxfanspcu11
08-03-2010, 12:54 PM
An absolutely HORRIFIC MOVE by the scrubs. Not losing Lilly, that was a given, but losing Theriot was a BAD BAD move. And to get Dewitt for him?? WOW!!

Dewitt is, and always will be an average, at best, journeyman player. Theriot had many positive attributes and was a great utility guy, which is hard to find these days.

Hendry has got to take the award for the dumbest GM in baseball. The guy has no clue what is going on with ANYTHING. I didn't think things could actually get WORSE for that franchise, but apparently it can. OUCH! :D:

Oh and to whomever said that Lilly will re-sign with the scrubs, please tell me why on EARTH he would do that?? Does he really want to spend his last few seasons with a terrible team? Wouldn't he want to go somewhere where he actually has a SHOT at winning? :scratch:

doublem23
08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Theriot is absolutely one of the worst players in baseball. He sucks. Bad. And he's already getting paid .$2.6 M with a year left of arbitration!!!

I have no idea how the Cubs found someone to dump him on.

Banix12
08-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Theriot is absolutely one of the worst players in baseball. He sucks. Bad. And he's already getting paid .$2.6 M with a year left of arbitration!!!

I have no idea how the Cubs found someone to dump him on.

I don't know about worst players. I'd say he's an average second baseman whose best fit is probably utility man, but the guy can at least a hit a little bit and has decent speed. He isn't a great value player because he's probably making about a million more than he is worth, but he got the deal coming off one of his better seasons.

He's the kind of guy who looks like he can hang around in the majors for awhile on someone's bench as a PH/UT, kind of like Jamey Carroll.

PatK
08-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Theroit was a good player???

A decent hitter, with no pop and a little speed.

But defensively, he wasn't good and had an arm that made Pierre look like he had a cannon.

Plus, he's 30. He aint getting any better

soxfanreggie
08-03-2010, 04:30 PM
My problem isn't with the Cubs, my problem is with so much mid-season player movement.

What don't you like about it?

Sam Spade
08-04-2010, 12:43 AM
An absolutely HORRIFIC MOVE by the scrubs. Not losing Lilly, that was a given, but losing Theriot was a BAD BAD move. And to get Dewitt for him?? WOW!!

Dewitt is, and always will be an average, at best, journeyman player. Theriot had many positive attributes and was a great utility guy, which is hard to find these days.

Hendry has got to take the award for the dumbest GM in baseball. The guy has no clue what is going on with ANYTHING. I didn't think things could actually get WORSE for that franchise, but apparently it can. OUCH! :D:

Oh and to whomever said that Lilly will re-sign with the scrubs, please tell me why on EARTH he would do that?? Does he really want to spend his last few seasons with a terrible team? Wouldn't he want to go somewhere where he actually has a SHOT at winning? :scratch:
lol.

TDog
08-04-2010, 11:13 AM
What don't you like about it?

I tried to explain that earlier. It tends to perpetuate the polarization between rich and poor teams, widening the gap between the haves and the have-nots. People complain that there needs to be a salary cap to establish competitive balance while they cheer on the flurry of activity at the trade deadline to destroy it.

It also is dishonest to fans of second-tier teams. There may be a smug attitude among a lot of fans that there is no reason to follow a team or go to their games unless they are contending, but I've followed a lot of White Sox teams when they weren't contending. I've gone to games after they were mathematically eliminated and in seasons where they had no realistic shot at the offseason. They are my team.

I wasn't a Cubs fan, but Ernie Banks was a Cub. The Cubs weren't trading him. Harold Baines should have been permanently with the White Sox in the same sense. When Frank Thomas was with the Sox before 2005, every year the Sox were down, people were trying to send him to a contender. There was probably as much of that as there was people wanting to trade Konerko.

The A's actually sign free agents the way some people day trade in the stock market. Last year, they signed Orlando Cabrera so they could trade him to a contender for profit, if not in cash at least in young players they could promote. This year they signed Ben Sheets intending to do the same thing with Ben Sheets, but first they were too close to contending and second Sheets was hurt and eventually had to go on the DL.

I don't see how people on one hand can argue for a salary cap (that wouldn't be about competitive balance anyway, but only about maximizing ownership profits) while cheering on the plundering of non-contenders every July.