PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay loves the Rays

LITTLE NELL
07-30-2010, 10:06 PM
For the 1st time in their history the Rays have sold out a series (NY) before it started.

soxfanreggie
07-30-2010, 10:19 PM
For the 1st time in their history the Rays have sold out a series (NY) before it started.

Most of the fans they interviewed on tv that I saw were going to see them because of the Yankees - either Yankees fans or wanting to see the Rays play quality competition. When I go see the Rays play Baltimore, I don't expect over 22,000.

LITTLE NELL
07-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Most of the fans they interviewed on tv that I saw were going to see them because of the Yankees - either Yankees fans or wanting to see the Rays play quality competition. When I go see the Rays play Baltimore, I don't expect over 22,000.

More like 16 or 17 thousand.

A. Cavatica
07-30-2010, 10:48 PM
It's probably cheaper for a Yankee fan to fly to Florida and see them than pay scalper prices in the Bronx.

asindc
07-30-2010, 11:04 PM
It's probably cheaper for a Yankee fan to fly to Florida and see them than pay scalper prices in the Bronx.

I can vouch for this. Catch one of the airline specials to FLA, stay with a relative, and yes, it could be cheaper, no joke.

Vestigio
07-30-2010, 11:07 PM
I just got back from the game, and I'd say that about half of the people in attendance were Yank fans. It was quite annoying whenever A-rod came to bat

DumpJerry
07-30-2010, 11:12 PM
A Yankee series sold out in Brooklyn South? Shocking.

LITTLE NELL
07-31-2010, 07:29 AM
A Yankee series sold out in Brooklyn South? Shocking.

Actually Florida is Chicago South, Boston South and New York South, along with Ohio, Michigan and few other Souths.

Viva Medias B's
07-31-2010, 08:08 AM
Many Yankee fans live in Tampa, including the Steinbrenner family.

SCCWS
07-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Actually Tampa Bay has tiered pricing and Red Sox and Yankee game are more expensive for game tickets as well as parking.

In recent years with the proce of home game ticekts, Red Sox fans have flocked to Baltimore for weekend series w the $49 SW air fares.

Twins_Morneau
07-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Baseball doesn't belong in Florida, much like Hockey doesn't belong in Arizona.

LITTLE NELL
07-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Baseball doesn't belong in Florida, much like Hockey doesn't belong in Arizona.

Looks like you are a Twins fan.
Since you don't think baseball belongs in Florida, how about you relay that to the Twins and they can forfeit the 4 game series in the Trop starting Monday.

WhiteSox5187
07-31-2010, 03:04 PM
The baseball experiment in Florida certainly does not seem to be working well. Back in the '80s weren't they saying that the White Sox moving to Florida would be like the Dodgers moving to LA?

Red Barchetta
07-31-2010, 05:55 PM
The reality check for MLB in Florida will be after the Marlins open up their new ballpark in 2012. Sun Life Stadium, (aka Joe Robbie Stadium, aka Pro Player Stadium, aka Dolphin Stadium) home of the Marlins and the Tropicana Dome, home of the Rays, are arguably the worst 2 "ballparks" in MLB with Toronto and Oakland not far behind.

The Marlins play in a stadium designed for football and the Rays play in multi-purpose dome designed for most other things than baseball. Both were built prior to Florida being awarded franchises.

I really think the retractable roof model, similar to Arizona and Houston (other warm climate teams) will be successful. The Rays are also pursuing other options as they have proven winning alone is not enough to sell out games.

gogosox675
07-31-2010, 10:51 PM
The reality check for MLB in Florida will be after the Marlins open up their new ballpark in 2012. Sun Life Stadium, (aka Joe Robbie Stadium, aka Pro Player Stadium, aka Dolphin Stadium) home of the Marlins and the Tropicana Dome, home of the Rays, are arguably the worst 2 "ballparks" in MLB with Toronto and Oakland not far behind.

The Marlins play in a stadium designed for football and the Rays play in multi-purpose dome designed for most other things than baseball. Both were built prior to Florida being awarded franchises.

I really think the retractable roof model, similar to Arizona and Houston (other warm climate teams) will be successful. The Rays are also pursuing other options as they have proven winning alone is not enough to sell out games.

I really hope the new stadium works out for the Marlins and I hope the Rays can get support for a new stadium in Tampa or St. Pete. It isn't good for baseball if the Florida franchises don't succeed.

TommyJohn
08-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Looks like you are a Twins fan.
Since you don't think baseball belongs in Florida, how about you relay that to the Twins and they can forfeit the 4 game series in the Trop starting Monday.Don't give them any ideas. The Twins might just demand the opposite-they'll whine that baseball doesn't belong in Florida and it is unfair to them that they have to play there, so MLB should make the Rays forfeit the games and put the Twins in 1st place in the division.

WhiteSox5187
08-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Don't give them any ideas. The Twins might just demand the opposite-they'll whine that baseball doesn't belong in Florida and it is unfair to them that they have to play there, so MLB should make the Rays forfeit the games and put the Twins in 1st place in the division.

Maybe the argument would be that baseball shouldn't be played in a dome.

TommyJohn
08-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Maybe the argument would be that baseball shouldn't be played in a dome.Ja, I could see the Twins making that argument...Now.

Red Barchetta
08-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Maybe the argument would be that baseball shouldn't be played in a dome.

That argument came into full play today when the Twins went on to beat the Rays, who after coming back from a 6-0 deficit and tying the game in the bottom of the 8th, allowed a "hit" to the Twins when a routine infield pop up with two outs in the 9th inning hit the catwalk and was ruled a hit driving in the winning run for the Twins.

Maddon was interviewed afterwards basically driving the point home that the Rays need a new ballpark where the game can be played the right way and that the dome does not interfere with the pennant race. Story link with the replay below...

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100805&content_id=13067414&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=tb

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2010, 07:52 PM
That argument came into full play today when the Twins went on to beat the Rays, who after coming back from a 6-0 deficit and tying the game in the bottom of the 8th, allowed a "hit" to the Twins when a routine infield pop up with two outs in the 9th inning hit the catwalk and was ruled a hit driving in the winning run for the Twins.

Maddon was interviewed afterwards basically driving the point home that the Rays need a new ballpark where the game can be played the right way and that the dome does not interfere with the pennant race. Story link with the replay below...

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100805&content_id=13067414&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=tb

As long as they are going to play in that place why don't they change the rule that any ball that hits a catwalk is dead. It would be a crime if a game like today could decide a pennant.

Red Barchetta
08-05-2010, 08:53 PM
As long as they are going to play in that place why don't they change the rule that any ball that hits a catwalk is dead. It would be a crime if a game like today could decide a pennant.

That's the concern for both the Rays and the White Sox. Sure, you can say both the Rays and Twins were playing under the same conditions, however what if the Rays lose the pennant to the Yankees by 1 game or the SOX lost the pennant to the Twins by 1 game?! I can stomach an error, a blown save (or two) :rolleyes:, even a missed call by an umpire as that's part of the game. However to have the one ballpark that has catwalks in play effect the outcome of a critical game, or any game, is wrong. Especially when contending teams are involved.

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2010, 09:26 PM
That's the concern for both the Rays and the White Sox. Sure, you can say both the Rays and Twins were playing under the same conditions, however what if the Rays lose the pennant to the Yankees by 1 game or the SOX lost the pennant to the Twins by 1 game?! I can stomach an error, a blown save (or two) :rolleyes:, even a missed call by an umpire as that's part of the game. However to have the one ballpark that has catwalks in play effect the outcome of a critical game, or any game, is wrong. Especially when contending teams are involved.

I've often wondered why the catwalks are even there, if you have been to the Trop like I have many times it seems to me that the light standards could have been attached to the walls that support the dome and away from the field of play thus eliminating the walks.
I was listening to the Rays post game show and the fans calling in were livid and most of them were calling for a new stadium.