PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson (Confirmed)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

doublem23
07-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Where is this magical super optomistic scouting report? The bulk of reports I've seen say his ceiling is a 4, the optimistic one's a 3. Conversely, Jackson has one of the best fastballs in baseball. The potential for that is endless.

:rolleyes:

Where the hell is this magical scouting report touting Jackson's fastball as one of the best in the game?

The guy's had 800 innings to show some it off and he's done nothing with it. And even better, he's slowly losing velocity and using it less often.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?playerid=1841&position=P

nitetrain8601
07-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Buster Olney quoted a couple of scouts as saying they see him being a "front of the line" kind of guy.

:tongue:

Probably Pirates and Royals scouts.

Danielgosox38
http://dc.sbnation.com/2010/7/30/1596763/adam-dunn-white-sox-trade-rumor-edwin-jackson-nationals

Adam Dunn has been informed that he wont be traded to White Sox for Edwin Jackson

Well this sucks. So what now?

soxfan26
****, I give up, Rizzo is starting to piss me off.

Hang in there Kenny! :redneck

WhiteSox5187
Where is this magical super optimistic scouting report? The bulk of reports I've seen say his ceiling is a 4, the optimistic one's a 3. Conversely, Jackson has one of the best fastballs in baseball. The potential for that is endless.

Again Buster Olney quoted a couple of "scouts for AL teams" - and you're going to need more than a fastball to survive in the majors as is evidenced by Jackson's career 4.74 ERA and 1.5 WHIP.

rdwj
07-30-2010, 12:56 PM
http://dc.sbnation.com/2010/7/30/1596763/adam-dunn-white-sox-trade-rumor-edwin-jackson-nationals

Adam Dunn has been informed that he wont be traded to White Sox for Edwin Jackson
Crap!! :angry:

doublem23
But nothing is done yet.

And I'll change my tune when something changes. There were plenty of reports last night predicting this scenario, we wind up with Jackson, Dunn stays in Washington.

GoGoCrede

Doesn't mean we can't trade someone else for him.

Crede24Thome25
Throw someone worthy in the deal and he's ours.

RedHeadPaleHoser
I saw Hudson gone, 1st thought was who was pitching tonight. Now, if Dunn isn't coming here, might as well put Jackson on the hill.

I love and hate the trade deadline all at the same time.

SoxxoS
07-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Buster Olney quoted a couple of scouts as saying they see him being a "front of the line" kind of guy.

Do people honestly think Kenny Williams is retarded? And the Sox don't have scouts that have seen Hudson pitch before?

He has been the GM for, what ten years now, and how many prospects came back and bit him in the ass?

People act like KWdoesnt have a track record...

Baron
Doesn't mean we can't trade someone else for him.

Quite right......But just got word Hawpe is still on the Sox radar

JB98
The thing that bothers me about that comparison is that Contreras and Floyd were reclamation projects who didn't make any real contributions to the Sox until well after they were acquired. There's a chance Coop see something in Jackson he can work with, I don't know, but how fast can he turn him around? At his present level of play, he is an unacceptable answer for a starting pitcher in a chase for the play-offs. If we're stuck here with him, what's the point of this move if we don't see dividends until 2011?

A fair point, but here's the thing: If they were to go with Hudson the rest of the year, he'd be really up and down. He's a rookie, and he'd be pitching in the pennant race. He'd have his moments, but he'd also have starts where he'd be a disaster.

Jackson has been inconsistent at best this year, no argument with that. But whether you have Jackson or Hudson in your rotation, you're still looking at a guy who is inconsistent in the No. 5 spot. Over the short run, Coop is more likely to be able to harness the guy who has experience pitching in the big leagues, IMO.

I don't think the Sox chances for THIS YEAR got any worse with this move. Now, Jackson is much more expensive than Hudson, which is a little curious. But, hey, it's JR's money. Not mine.

Don't misunderstand ... I'm not doing cartwheels about the deal by any means. I see some potential upside, and I also see the potential for problems. Let's wait and see...

october23sp
Who's our 5th starter if Jackson leaves again? Torres?

Pablo_Honey
Well yeah, but wasn't Thornton's big problem control just like Jackson? Also he did okay with Bobby too...
Eh I don't know, after the failures of the likeness of Aardsma, Sisco and heaven forbid, Macdougal, I don't think Coop can fix everyone. He's done a good job but Jackson seems like someone that will forever have his potential untapped.

Nelfox02
It was on that radio station that was just posted....they dont like Jacksons 8 million

neither do I......

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2010, 12:58 PM
He's always been labelled as such. The problem is, the results simply aren't there so far. I'd gladly eat my crow if Coop can fix him but I remain doubtful.

I was talking about Hudson...

Baron
TroyRenck Hawpe still on radar for white sox.

TheOldRoman

Adam Dunn has been informed that he wont be traded to White Sox for Edwin JacksonEh, seems kind of random. The Nats are looking to move Dunn for a big package. I doubt they are calling him every 15 minutes as another rumor comes out to say "We are still looking to move you, but it won't be to Chicago. At least not for Jackson.":rolleyes:

Crede24Thome25
07-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Quite right......But just got word Hawpe is still on the Sox radar
As long as the Sox get Dunn/Hawpe I'm satisfied. I'd prefer they get Hawpe, he could surprise quite a few of us.

munchman33
For some reason, Jackson tanked big time in the second half in 2008 and 2009. He was dominant in the first half of 2009, I'll give you that but his 5.00 ERA second half is alarming given that he's done that in 2008 too. Oh wait, Coop'll fix'em? Dear me, why was I worried? Goodness, we got a steal in this trade!

No team has ever ridden a good half season from a talented yet troubled pitcher through the World Series.

Oh wait...

harwar
wonder what happened to the "myers-berkman" trade ..

Baron
Eh, seems kind of random. The Nats are looking to move Dunn for a big package. I doubt they are calling him every 15 minutes as another rumor comes out to say "We are still looking to move you, but it won't be to Chicago. At least not for Jackson.":rolleyes:

Jim Boden as big of idiot as he is says Adam Dunn is at the movies and the team hasnt told him anything yet

Pablo_Honey
Jenks?
Um, Janks was already dominating down in the minors. He benefited more from moving to bullpen because he didn't have to worry much about control. He could just blaze his fastball by hitters out of the pen. If Coop was so good, then why did Bobby fall from grace at all?

35th and Shields
Do people honestly think Kenny Williams is retarded? And the Sox don't have scouts that have seen Hudson pitch before?

He has been the GM for, what ten years now, and how many prospects came back and bit him in the ass?

Most people aren't complaining that Hudson's gone, it's that we got Edwin jackson in return.

PalehosePlanet
I saw Hudson gone, 1st thought was who was pitching tonight. Now, if Dunn isn't coming here, might as well put Jackson on the hill.

I love and hate the trade deadline all at the same time.

He just pitched 2 nights ago.

tm1119
07-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Keep Jackson and get Berkman and we can make a legit run in the playoffs. Give up Morel and a B pitcher like Doyle or Grifith for Berkman and I'm very happy with our deadline moves. I don't mind Jackson at all. His ceiling is much higher than Hudson's. I know it's a bit of a joke around here, but don't under estimate the impact Coop really does have on pitchers. Floyd and Danks were far from polished before they got here and who knew Freddy could still pitch like this? Talent is 1 thing Jackson does not lack, and having a coach like Coop to harness could make him a steal.

DSpivack
Jim Boden as big of idiot as he is says Adam Dunn is at the movies and the team hasnt told him anything yet

I get the feeling that Bowden has no 'insider' knowledge, but is just stalking Dunn.

VeeckAsInWreck

I get the feeling that conversation went a little something like this.

(Adam Dunn is relaxing by his locker as he gets greeted by a Nationals representative)

REP: Hey Donkey, you don't mind if I call you that do you. Anyway, you got a minute?

DUNN: Sure, what's up.

REP: I'm sure you've been checking message boards but no matter what you read. You are not being dealt to the White Sox for Edwin Jackson.

DUNN: Uh, OK thanks for that update.

REP: (under his breath) unless the Sox add prospects in the deal.

DUNN: What did you say?

REP: Nothing.

WhiteSox5187

I suspect Kenny would love to have the Swisher trade back, Clayton Richard is doing well in San Diego and John Ely is doing good too. These guys aren't all stars (but I wouldn't be shocked if a guy like Gio turns out to be one or if Richard makes an ASG), but they're doing well.

doublem23
07-30-2010, 01:02 PM
No team has ever ridden a good half season from a talented yet troubled pitcher through the World Series.

Oh wait...

Jenks was acquired before the 2005 season, though, so he had months to work with Sox pitching coaches to address whatever issues they had with the way he was throwing the ball. Not too mention, there is no way Jackson has the stuff Jenks had in 2005. That heater? That curve? They were out of control.

Crede24Thome25
Keep Jackson and get Berkman and we can make a legit run in the playoffs. Give up Morel and a B pitcher like Doyle or Grifith for Berkman and I'm very happy with our deadline moves. I don't mind Jackson at all. His ceiling is much higher than Hudson's. I know it's a bit of a joke around here, but don't under estimate the impact Coop really does have on pitchers. Floyd and Danks were far from polished before they got here and who knew Freddy could still pitch like this? Talent is 1 thing Jackson does not lack, and having a coach like Coop to harness could make him a steal.
Agreed 100% Berkman or Hawpe would do fine.

gr8mexico

***!!! What now? Does Jackson go to the Dodgers for Manny?

seventyseven
Um, Janks was already dominating down in the minors. He benefited more from moving to bullpen because he didn't have to worry much about control. He could just blaze his fastball by hitters out of the pen. If Coop was so good, then why did Bobby fall from grace at all?

Nice of you to keep things in focus. :scratch:

Is Coop supposed to have some magic spell over Sox pitchers than they cannot fail?

Baron
https://twitter.com/BobKlap

Bob says Yankees are definatley out on Dunn...

kevingrt
I suspect Kenny would love to have the Swisher trade back, Clayton Richard is doing well in San Diego and John Ely is doing good too. These guys aren't all stars (but I wouldn't be shocked if a guy like Gio turns out to be one or if Richard makes an ASG), but they're doing well.

Ely got demoted to AAA? Is that "good"?

doublem23

John Ely is not doing well, he was optioned to AAA Albuquerque last I checked.

Pablo_Honey
07-30-2010, 01:04 PM

Oh wait...
As Dubs mentioned already, Jose already had a full season's of work with the Sox before that torrid second half in 2005. He had a lot more time to work with Coop. Jose was also dominating in the first half of 2005. We are asking Jackson, who's been posting 5.00 ERA in NL, to get us to postseason. Coop doesn't have ample time to work with him.

Baron
Lucas Harrell got promoted from AAA and will start tonight

Hitmen77
Get off your high horse, nobody has "lost their mind," it is possible to have rational, level-headed conversations about why you personally disagree with the moves the Sox are making. I'm sorry, it is possible to not be in love with a guy who has a WHIP of 1.500, walks 4 guys every 9 innings, and strikes out fewer than 6.5 per 9 innings.

Hmmm... A guy who lets on a ****load of runners, has control issues, and can't harness his power fastball to strike guys out... SIGN MY ASS UP.

Thank you.

But, but, he pitched a no-hitter! and, and Hudson was only ever going to be a #3 starter for us, so he's useless. Of course, we don't really know how this looks until the trade deadline passes on Saturday, but here's what I don't like right now:

- Jackson has a 5.16 ERA this year (and a 6.85 ERA since that no hitter). Is he really going to help us much with those numbers?

- The Sox are taking on all of his remaining salary. That's $8.35 million next year plus the remainder of his $4.2 million salary this year. Are the Sox going to turn around can tell us yet again this winter that they can't acquire any more pieces for this team because they're up to their salary limit?

- It could be that the Sox turn around and trade Jackson for someone like Dunn. But if that happens, then who is our 5th starter?

- Are people really using the "Coop will fix him" line? Do people realize that he didn't "fix" Contreras and Floyd overnight?

- The Sox are going to need some cheap home-grown mid-rotation guys at some point. If we keep passing on guys like Hudson we'll end up with not enough free payroll every year.

Sorry, there's a lot to question here. I know it's fashionable for some people here to just mock anyone who says negative and to call them reactionary chicken littles. I guess if that makes you guys feel better about yourself, then more power to you. But the reality is that there are a bunch of question marks here.

balke

Who is Janks? Did Coop fix his name?

Sargeant79
07-30-2010, 01:05 PM

I would be happy with either Hawpe or Berkman. There's a good chance we could get two really good months out of either of these two guys just by them reverting back to their career norms for the remainder of the year. I bet ether could be obtained without giving up Flowers, Viciedo, or Morel as well.

SoxGirl4Life
07-30-2010, 01:06 PM

That's a fan website. we can write one on the Sox version of the SB blog -would that be true?

WhiteSox5187
John Ely is not doing well, he was optioned to AAA Albuquerque last I checked.

I saw he had a low four ERA for the Dodgers and assumed he was still there, he has a 3.09 ERA and a 1.156 WHIP for Alburqu...for the Dodgers AAA team and is only 24 so I'm not going to cast him off just yet. He can still contribute. Anyways, those are all guys who can contribute, it's not like we're still talking about the likes of Jeremy Reed or Lance Broadway.

Slappy
I'm beginning to hate this trade more and more. I'm not the biggest believer in Hudson, but Edwin Jackson? I think he's more of a name than anything, but unless we flip him for Dunn or another nice bat, we'll find out soon enough.

TheOldRoman
Hey, Adam? This is Rizzo here. The Riz! Get it? I am trying out that nickname. What do you think? Anyways... I know you are watching "Dinner for Schmucks" now, but I just wanted to give you a heads up. We aren't going to trade you to the White Sox for Edwin Jackson. Also, some guy named "sexpanther6770" posted that you were going to the Pirates for Russ Ohlendorf. Just wanted to let you know those are both false.

Quentin08
What's going on? :scratch: Yep, you can call KW many things, but he is definitely not boring.

Pablo_Honey
07-30-2010, 01:07 PM

Is Coop supposed to have some magic spell over Sox pitchers than they cannot fail?
If Coop was so good, why couldn't he help Bobby recover from his slump? He must have noticed something wrong with him and could have told him to fix that. What about Macdougal? Aardsma? Sisco? Coop is not some magician. He's human and he's susceptible to errors. Edwin Jackson won't miraculously start pitching like an ace. He may, hopefully, but I bet money on that he won't.

Baron
That's a fan website. we can write one on the Sox version of the SB blog -would that be true?

I guess you didnt read it at all...Why dont you take a look at it

Crede24Thome25
I would be happy with either Hawpe or Berkman. There's a good chance we could get two really good months out of either of these two guys just by them reverting back to their career norms for the remainder of the year. I bet ether could be obtained without giving up Flowers, Viciedo, or Morel as well.
Good to know I'm not alone on that, this Dunn stuff is killing me.

dickallen15
Thank you.

But, but, he pitched a no-hitter! and, and Hudson was only ever going to be a #3 starter for us, so he's useless. Of course, we don't really know how this looks until the trade deadline passes on Saturday, but here's what I don't like right now:

- Jackson has a 5.16 ERA this year (and a 6.85 ERA since that no hitter). Is he really going to help us much with those numbers?

- The Sox are taking on all of his remaining salary. That's $8.35 million next year plus the remainder of his $4.2 million salary this year. Are the Sox going to turn around can tell us yet again this winter that they can't acquire any more pieces for this team because they're up to their salary limit?

- It could be that the Sox turn around and trade Jackson for someone like Dunn. But if that happens, then who is our 5th starter?

- Are people really using the "Coop will fix him" line? Do people realize that he didn't "fix" Contreras and Floyd overnight?

- The Sox are going to need some cheap home-grown mid-rotation guys at some point. If we keep passing on guys like Hudson we'll end up with not enough free payroll every year.

Sorry, there's a lot to question here. I know it's fashionable for some people here to just mock anyone who says negative and to call them reactionary chicken littles. I guess if that makes you guys feel better about yourself, then more power to you. But the reality is that there are a bunch of question marks here.

If Cooper could pull a Thornton on Jackson, the White Sox would be golden. Its a longshot, but if Jackson could consistently throw strikes, he'd be an ace.

theamb
I wonder if Jackson just leaves his suitcases packed all year long

balke
07-30-2010, 01:08 PM

No magic - worth noting he's one of the best if not THE best in baseball.

If he says there's something he can do to correct a guy - he does it. Again - Contreras and tipping pitches is the perfect example.

It gets annoying to hear - but he does seem to know about all you can know about pitchers. More than anyone here.

ndgt10
07-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Come on guys, the Nats dont want a 5+ era, 8M+ pitcher, lol!

Baron
come on guys, the nats dont want a 5+ era, 8m+ pitcher, lol!

they wanted this guy!!!!

Lillian

Has Bowden ever heard of Blackberry?

Pablo_Honey
Come on guys, the Nats dont want a 5+ era, 8M+ pitcher, lol!
Don't you know that Jackson has teh STUFF that Coop will magically fix and all our woes will be gone?

SoxGirl4Life
I guess you didnt read it at all...Why dont you take a look at it

Cuz I'm at work.. is there a link to a real source?

soxinem1
07-30-2010, 01:10 PM
I wonder if Jackson just leaves his suitcases packed all year long

If so, I hope they remain that way.

Baron
07-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Has Bowden ever heard of Blackberry?

Most likely not....He has heard of the delete button however because he uses it quite often

Nelfox02
07-30-2010, 01:11 PM
If Cooper could pull a Thornton on Jackson, the White Sox would be golden. Its a longshot, but if Jackson could consistently throw strikes, he'd be an ace.

8 mildo for a team with our budget constraints seems like a lot to invest for a long shot.....

WhiteSox5187
So, it's early still and who knows what will happen, but I am wondering is this a case where Kenny just wanted Edwin Jackson or did he think Jackson would be more appealing to the Nationals than Hudson, dealt for him specifically to be traded and now is stuck with him?

Baron
Cuz I'm at work.. is there a link to a real source?

They point to the radio station that had the guy that was told by Adam Dunn that he wasnt being traded to the White Sox for Jackson.

Tim Kurkjian of ESPN reporting that the Nationals told him directly they are NOT trading Dunn to the White Sox for Edwin Jackson

Happy now?

beasly213
07-30-2010, 01:12 PM
So, it's early still and who knows what will happen, but I am wondering is this a case where Kenny just wanted Edwin Jackson or did he think Jackson would be more appealing to the Nationals than Hudson, dealt for him specifically to be traded and now is stuck with him?

I highly doubt this to be true. If he traded for Jackson with the intent to flip him he would know for sure that the third team would want him.

soxlady8
07-30-2010, 01:13 PM
I am not sure what to make of this trade at the moment.

I am not a big stats person. From what I have seen of Jackson, he isn't that great. He isn't gosh forsaken awful either. However, we really do not have a 5th starter at the present time and I was not too convinced on Huddy.

We do have Don Cooper and he can work a little bit of magic
with most of the guys.

We shall see, we shall see !

dickallen15
8 mildo for a team with our budget constraints seems like a lot to invest for a long shot.....
His last 2 years in the AL he was fairly decent. Its a lot of money but budget constraint? Hardly. This team had money to burn this year, and have a lot coming off next.

Slappy

That would be quite awful wouldn't it...

doublem23
07-30-2010, 01:14 PM
They point to the radio station that had the guy that was told by Adam Dunn that he wasnt being traded to the White Sox for Jackson.

Tim Kurkjian of ESPN reporting that the Nationals told him directly they are NOT trading Dunn to the White Sox for Edwin Jackson

Happy now?

Drop the attitude now.

Hitmen77
A fair point, but here's the thing: If they were to go with Hudson the rest of the year, he'd be really up and down. He's a rookie, and he'd be pitching in the pennant race. He'd have his moments, but he'd also have starts where he'd be a disaster.

Jackson has been inconsistent at best this year, no argument with that. But whether you have Jackson or Hudson in your rotation, you're still looking at a guy who is inconsistent in the No. 5 spot. Over the short run, Coop is more likely to be able to harness the guy who has experience pitching in the big leagues, IMO.

I don't think the Sox chances for THIS YEAR got any worse with this move. Now, Jackson is much more expensive than Hudson, which is a little curious. But, hey, it's JR's money. Not mine.

Don't misunderstand ... I'm not doing cartwheels about the deal by any means. I see some potential upside, and I also see the potential for problems. Let's wait and see...

Yes, but we just went through a winter where the Sox failed to get a DH (partially) because they were out of room on their payroll. Now, KW is desperately burning the phone lines trying to patch up that mistake.

With the Sox now on the hook for all of Jackson's salary next year, aren't we setting ourselves up for being in the same boat? $8.35 million for a bust of a pitcher probably puts us that more out of reach for being able to fill all of the holes on our roster.

SoxGirl4Life

Happy now?

I was going to thank you nicely until that last bit of sarcasm.

kittle42
07-30-2010, 01:15 PM
I was going to thank you nicely until that last bit of sarcasm.

Source?

doublem23
That would be quite awful wouldn't it...

I can't believe Kenny would get absolutely bagged by the GM of the Nationals.

Lots of reports last night said the Sox were looking at Jackson even if they couldn't turn him into Dunn. Maybe those guys were right.

dickallen15
Yes, but we just went through a winter where the Sox failed to get a DH (partially) because they were out of room on their payroll. Now, KW is desperately burning the phone lines trying to patch up that mistake.

With the Sox now on the hook for all of Jackson's salary next year, aren't we setting ourselves up for being in the same boat? $8.35 million for a bust of a pitcher probably puts us that more out of reach for being able to fill all of the holes on our roster.

Out of room on the payroll? They bid high for Damon the Tigers gave him $8 million. Money is no issue here.

Baron
07-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Yankees think that Rizzo is out of his mind....

dickallen15
07-30-2010, 01:17 PM

Lots of reports last night said the Sox were looking at Jackson even if they couldn't turn him into Dunn. Maybe those guys were right.

Yes, there is absolutely zero possibility Rizzo said he wanted Jackson rather than Hudson so KW trades 2 guys for Jackson and Rizzo changes his mind or says just kidding. It would never happen. It would be career suicide for Rizzo.

theamb
His last 2 years in the AL he was fairly decent. Its a lot of money but budget constraint? Hardly. This team had money to burn this year, and have a lot coming off next.

He was terrific in the first half and horrendous in the second.

Certainly talented but far too inconsistent

kittle42
Interesting factoid on Edwin Jackson - he was born in Germany.

And there is your "Get to Know Your Sox" fact of the day!

TheOldRoman
Yankees think that Rizzo is out of his mind....That's because they are still bitter about that Frank Rizzo prank call 15 years ago.

kittle42
07-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Also, I'm enjoying seeing my last name mentioned so often in this thread!

ilsox7

There is absolutely no way KW would make the trade for Jackson without a trade in place for Dunn unless he wanted Jackson. You just don't do that. Instead, you wait until the Nationals are on board and make it one transaction with 3 teams.

Not a fan of this trade as it stands (b/c of the huge money owed next year), but curious how this will play out.

Pablo_Honey
Don't underestimate Rizzo. The dude actually knows his ****. He's a whole lot better than Michael Bowden. Just look at the Matt Capps trade.

kittle42
That's because they are still bitter about that Frank Rizzo prank call 15 years ago.

Open your ears, jackass!

Sizzlechest!

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Ok, my friend just told me that ESPN is saying the Sox are dangling Floyd for Dunn?? I just turned on ESPN and they haven't said anything about it yet and my friend is not the most reliable source and enjoys torturing me...ESPN is saying Berkman. Ugh. Anyone heard anything about Floyd?

balke
If Coop was so good, why couldn't he help Bobby recover from his slump? He must have noticed something wrong with him and could have told him to fix that. What about Macdougal? Aardsma? Sisco? Coop is not some magician. He's human and he's susceptible to errors. Edwin Jackson won't miraculously start pitching like an ace. He may, hopefully, but I bet money on that he won't.

There's a difference between casting magic on no talent hacks - and correcting small things with guys who have good stuff and talent - but can't find the plate and/or are tipping pitches.

Baron
Ok, my friend just told me that ESPN is saying the Sox are dangling Floyd for Dunn?? I just turned on ESPN and they haven't said anything about it yet and my friend is not the most reliable source and enjoys torturing me...ESPN is saying Berkman. Ugh. Anyone heard anything about Floyd?

Ya ESPN said Berkman makes alot of sense for us

TheOldRoman
There is absolutely no way KW would make the trade for Jackson without a trade in place for Dunn unless he wanted Jackson. You just don't do that. Instead, you wait until the Nationals are on board and make it one transaction with 3 teams.

Not a fan of this trade as it stands (b/c of the huge money owed next year), but curious how this will play out.Maybe they have an agreement for Dunn but it is on hold until the Sox can swing another starter? Who knows at this point.

hi im skot
07-30-2010, 01:20 PM

Your friend is full of it.

dickallen15
The Sox are probably attempting to acquire someone not named Dunn or Berkmann or Fielder.

russ99

I heard that rumor too, but I highly doubt that's a possibility, and no confirm from ESPN.

gr8mexico
Out of room on the payroll? They bid high for Damon the Tigers gave him $8 million. Money is no issue here.
I'm also sure that the insurance helped pay Jake Peavy salary after his injury

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Yankees think that Rizzo is out of his mind....

The Yankees are late to the club. Rizzo is nuts.

ilsox7
Maybe they have an agreement for Dunn but it is on hold until the Sox can swing another starter? Who knows at this point.

Quite possible. I am just saying that KW is not going to get left at the altar. If he did not want Jackson, then he does not make that trade until the Nationals are a part of it. So either (1) KW wants Jackson or (2) There is a deal in place to ship him out. Seems obvious, but it seems like some folks were alluding to KW being stuck with someone he doesn't want.

kittle42
The Sox are probably attempting to acquire someone not named Dunn or Berkmann or Fielder.

I'm still holding out hope for All-Star sensation Omar Infante!

Boondock Saint

I would go nuclear if we threw away Hudson for 1.5 years of Edwin Jackson at about $12m, then threw away Gavin Floyd for .5 years of Adam Dunn.

harwar
i'm wondering who we would have to give up for berkman ..

russ99
07-30-2010, 01:22 PM

Nope, that's only if he misses next year, which we hope doesn't happen. That insurance doesn't pro-rate.

But it's Jerry's cash, If he wants to blow up the budget, I won't complain.

Farsouthside
ok, my friend just told me that espn is saying the sox are dangling floyd for dunn??

say it aint so.

Baron
My lunch.....spaghettios....what a day

ilsox7

Word was no on that.

WhiteSox5187
Yes, there is absolutely zero possibility Rizzo said he wanted Jackson rather than Hudson so KW trades 2 guys for Jackson and Rizzo changes his mind or says just kidding. It would never happen. It would be career suicide for Rizzo.

Didn't Epstein do that?

I don't think there would be a defacto agreement as that should kill Rizzo's career but Kenny is the guy who thought he was getting a guy named Barry only to get a guy named Berry, all be it that was a long time ago and there has been a bit of learning curve for Kenny.

soxfanreggie
07-30-2010, 01:23 PM

Warrick Dunn could be a beast on the basepaths, and I'm not sure how Big Cecil would do as a roving hitting instructor. :D:

If Jackson is on our roster past the next couple of days, I'm fully supporting him. If he's not, I sure hope we're getting a good hitter with him as trade bait. We didn't give up Torres to get him, but Holmberg is a 6'4" lefty hurler who we made a nice investment in. Holmberg wasn't a big power pitcher but did have some plus pitches and good location.

I'm wondering who disassembles their team faster over the next day: Arizona or Houston.

Baron
say it aint so.

Sorry....its true

Slappy
I'm still holding out hope for All-Star sensation Omar Infante!

Can't go wrong with an all-star and a guy who pitched a no-hitter!

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2010, 01:24 PM

Well, ESPN hasn't said anything about Floyd for Dunn and I haven't seen it anywhere else, so I'm going to assume that that was my friend just trying to pull my leg.

Pablo_Honey
There's a difference between casting magic on no talent hacks - and correcting small things with guys who have good stuff and talent - but can't find the plate and/or are tipping pitches.
Macdougal had a **** ton of talent and Coop couldn't do **** with him. Aardsma was a former first round pick who could crank it up. Coop couldn't do **** with him. Sisco was a lefty who could throw hard. Coop couldn't do **** with him. The only fireballer Coop ever fixed was Thornton. Bobby was already good when he came up. Jackson's issue isn't simple as tipping pitches. He has neither the control nor command to be a good pitcher. If Coop can fix that, I'll just shut the **** up and get the **** out of here.

harwar
Ok, my friend just told me that ESPN is saying the Sox are dangling Floyd for Dunn?

that's not going to happen ..

Baron
Well, ESPN hasn't said anything about Floyd for Dunn and I haven't seen it anywhere else, so I'm going to assume that that was my friend just trying to pull my leg.

Im pretty sure I saw that in my pile of tweets....It might have been from a Nationals fan

TheOldRoman
The Sox are probably attempting to acquire someone not named Dunn or Berkmann or Fielder.Don't you remember? Cowley told us about the trade to end all trades. The Sox are getting someone, or more than one person, likely a male, who was born between 1972-1988, who either hits lefthanded or pitches with his right hand, left hand, or both hands. This person likely has a name starting in a consonant. Or maybe it's a vowel. I can't give too much away. In my opinion, and without knowing who is involved, I can honestly say this trade makes the Sox either significantly better, marginally better, or is no improvement at all. Stay tuned.

WhiffleBall
So if Jackson stays does that mean no Freddy next year?

october23sp
07-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't like wild rumors being based as fact. We are not losing Floyd for Dunn.

DumpJerry
I think you answered your question.

ilsox7
Im pretty sure I saw that in my pile of tweets....It might have been from a Nationals fan

Then it's not worth saying that the rumor is out there. No, it's not. Some fan posted it as a wish.

Chez
07-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Ok, my friend just told me that ESPN is saying the Sox are dangling Floyd for Dunn??

No way. Absolutely no way.

WhiteSox5187
Ya ESPN said Berkman makes alot of sense for us

yea I've heard about Berkman and while I don't really like it, it's not as bad as Floyd for Dunn.

Your friend is full of it.

There is no doubt of that, I haven't seen anything anywhere else about Floyd for Dunn.

kittle42
So if Jackson stays does that mean no Freddy next year?

I was figuring Garcia is gone regardless of who is on the roster at the end of this season.

Rockabilly
So now the Sox have 3 players who have Boras as their agent

SephClone89
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/611086369/TimMug_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo) TBrownYahoo (http://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo)
Source: White Sox hope to acquire Dunn without trading Jackson, but Nats desire Jackson. 3 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo/status/19929774876) via web

What the hell; this is so ****ing stupid.

DirtySox
Source: White Sox hope to acquire Dunn without trading Jackson, but Nats desire Jackson. 3 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo/status/19929774876) via web

http://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo/status/19929774876

Hitmen77

Yes, there was a limit on payroll last year and the Sox were pretty close to it (though not right at that limit).

We're not the Yankees (or the Red Sox for that matter). "Money is no issue here" is just bs.

hi8is
07-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Drop the attitude now.

I really hate when mods get their panties in a ruffle.
You have to durive a sence of worth by asserting authority on a baseball fourm.

Sad.

Bye everyone.

Go **** yourself doublem...
now.

AzureJazzMan
In case anyone was interested, I have complied the career stats of Gavin and Edwin (jeez, it's sounds like the name of two characters from Twilight)

Player////////W - L // ERA // IP // ER // HR // BB // SO // WHIP

Edwin Jackson: 38-39 // 4.66 // 670 // 347 // 82 // 299 // 472 // 1.51
D.O.B. 09/09/83
(Drafted 6th round 190th overall)

Gavin Floyd: 36-29 // 4.67 // 578 // 300 // 88 // 212 // 432 // 1.37
D.O.B 01/27/83
(Drafted 1st round 4th overall)

RTI_SoxFan

My friend just emailed me the same thing about Floyd for Dunn...

sox1970
What I wouldn't give to hear Kenny's phone calls the last couple days. I hope they get some of this stuff on The Club.

Hitmen77
So now the Sox have 3 players who have Boras as their agent

Jackson, Jones, and who is the 3rd?

NLaloosh
If the Sox are indeed paying all of next year's contract (if they hold onto him), then Kenny was fleeced.

The only way this deal works out for the White Sox is if Jackson immediately turns his season completely aroound after donning a Sox uniform and pitches them to thw World Series and then has a great year next year too before borass sends him someplace else for 2012.

RedHeadPaleHoser

Rowand - he bats left now.

SephClone89

Sad.

Bye everyone.

now.

Loser.

WhiteSox5187
I think you answered your question.

Well, he was the guy who told me that we were getting Peavy last year before I read about it anywhere else (including here!), so he can come through at times, but this is probably crap.

Slappy
Didn't Epstein do that?

I don't think there would be a defacto agreement as that should kill Rizzo's career but Kenny is the guy who thought he was getting a guy named Barry only to get a guy named Berry, all be it that was a long time ago and there has been a bit of learning curve for Kenny.

This is true. That being said, it's still hard for me to believe that he would get Jackson in order to flip for Dunn and then be left standing at the altar. As questionable moves Kenny has made in the past, I don't think he's that naive, nor do I think Rizzo is that cut-throat.

But I guess stranger things have happened.

KenBerryGrab
07-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Twitter just makes these things more tortuous.

Boondock Saint

Yep. Jackson is too expensive, Nats won't trade Dunn if he's not part of the deal, blah blah blah...

october23sp

In a sense it is, but it would be huge to have a 5th starter AND Dunn.

Nelfox02
all this deadline drama is somewhat fun tho (glad I on vacation today so I can enjoy it!).....but I still do not like this trade thus far.....

guillensdisciple

THis is why I love Kenny, he'll try to make anything work without giving up much and most of the time it will pan out in our favor.

I would keep Jackson. He fits the mold of so many of our successful "revivals"- a guy who is young, with high talent, and nothing to show for it.

I say keep him, and get Dunn or Berkman however possible.

balke
Macdougal had a **** ton of talent and Coop couldn't do **** with him. Aardsma was a former first round pick who could crank it up. Coop couldn't do **** with him. Sisco was a lefty who could throw hard. Coop couldn't do **** with him. The only fireballer Coop ever fixed was Thornton. Bobby was already good when he came up. Jackson's issue isn't simple as tipping pitches. He has neither the control nor command to be a good pitcher. If Coop can fix that, I'll just shut the **** up and get the **** out of here.

Just because a guy can throw hard doesn't mean he's a talented PITCHER. These guys you named off are relievers for a reason.

kittle42

Sad.

Bye everyone.

now.

I think I'll "durive" my "sence" of worth on this "fourm" by pointing out that you didn't learn your spelling in grade school.

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Don't you remember? Cowley told us about the trade to end all trades. The Sox are getting someone, or more than one person, likely a male, who was born between 1972-1988, who either hits lefthanded or pitches with his right hand, left hand, or both hands. This person likely has a name starting in a consonant. Or maybe it's a vowel. I can't give too much away. In my opinion, and without knowing who is involved, I can honestly say this trade makes the Sox either significantly better, marginally better, or is no improvement at all. Stay tuned.

Wow bro, let it go with Cowley.

RedHeadPaleHoser

Sad.

Bye everyone.

now.

:popcorn:

DirtySox

Sad.

Bye everyone.

now.

Peace dawg.

Farsouthside

Man all your buddies sure have vivid imaginations.

Baron
Nationals Fans think its funny to think that Rizzo said he wanted Jackson but said no once we aquired him.......That would be very very bad for the Nationals if true

Uncontested
I'm about to just turn off the TV and play Starcraft II all day.

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2010, 01:30 PM

Maybe they read my original post!

I seriously can't believe that Kenny or anyone else would be dumb enough to trade Floyd for half a season of Dunn.

SephClone89
07-30-2010, 01:30 PM
In a sense it is, but it would be huge to have a 5th starter AND Dunn.

Well, duh. I was saying that it's ****ing stupid that we've been hearing that the Nationals don't want anything to do with Jackson, and now apparently they are DEMANDING him.

Baron
07-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Dam give the Nationals Jackson already and be done with it Kenny

DumpJerry

Sad.

Bye everyone.

now.
Gone for good.

UofCSoxFan
The world could end in 2012 for all we know.

The Mayan calender apocolypse...always a good way to rationalize moves. Seems to be what Jim Hendry's been doing the past couple of years.

balke
Rizzo must be buddies with Blago. Thinks this thing he's got is golden.

I say leave him high and dry. Sox are winning without Dunn.

doublem23

:rolling:

There's a high school drama element to all of this I enjoy.

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Nationals Fans think its funny to think that Rizzo said he wanted Jackson but said no once we aquired him.......That would be very very bad for the Nationals if true

Again, I am nearly positive that Theo Epstein did something similar to that and it hasn't hurt the Red Sox. Again, I really doubt that Rizzo would do something like that, but Kenny has been duped before (not for awhile though) so I wouldn't be totally shocked if he were duped again.

DirtySox

There's a high school drama element to all of this I enjoy.

I'm becoming amused as well. It's a shame I have to write a term paper during all this.

october23sp
This has to be the nuttiest trade deadline the Sox have had in the past 10 years. Basically we got Jackson to get get Dunn, but now the Nats say they won't trade Dunn for Jackson.

NLaloosh

Well, Kenny might as well get rid of the last few decent prospects. Why pretend to develop players?

Viciedo, Morel, Torres and Nunez for Dunn. Kenny would do that.

thomas35forever
Just got the news about this trade (I worked until 2 AM last night, okay?). It's too bad to see Hudson go, but I would only trade Jackson for Dunn here if we get a fifth starter along with him. I refuse to go the rest of the way with only four starting pitchers. If we can't get Dunn, I don't want anybody to stamp their feet and whine just because Edwin Jackson is now on our team. Get another starter if Jackson must be traded.

russ99
Well, duh. I was saying that it's ****ing stupid that we've been hearing that the Nationals don't want anything to do with Jackson, and now apparently they are DEMANDING him.

Yup. Three different reporters are saying three different things. And the guy who's info seems the most credible (Rosenthal) hasn't weighed in on this one yet...

It's probably best to wait it out and see what Kenny can accomplish before 3pm tomorrow.

I'm just glad we have a GM/owner that makes moves to go for it.

Pablo_Honey
07-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Well, Kenny might as well get rid of the last few decent prospects. Why pretend to develop players?

Viciedo, Morel, Torres and Nunez for Dunn. Kenny would do that.
I really hope we don't give up on Viciedo. The kid looks like he can mash.

doublem23
07-30-2010, 01:35 PM

I agree.

Farsouthside
I really hope we don't give up on Viciedo. The kid looks like he can mash. I second the opinion on Dayan, he's going to be a monster.

RedHeadPaleHoser
I'm becoming amused as well. It's a shame I have to write a term paper during all this.

It's month end at work. How dare they plan this on trade deadline day. :angry:

Moses_Scurry
07-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Again, I am nearly positive that Theo Epstein did something similar to that and it hasn't hurt the Red Sox. Again, I really doubt that Rizzo would do something like that, but Kenny has been duped before (not for awhile though) so I wouldn't be totally shocked if he were duped again.

But what would Rizzo have to gain by duping Kenny? If he doesn't want to trade Dunn, why not just tell Kenny to take a hike from the beginning? What does it help his situation to waffle on Kenny?

Baron
Holy ****

White Sox have included Jackson in a trade package for Dunn if they get him they will go after Brett Myers

http://twitter.com/BNightengale

DirtySox
I agree.

I would have traded Dayan or Hudson. Dumping both would make me sad.

Nelfox02

but so bad in the field.......a career DH?

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Holy ****

White Sox have included Jackson in a trade package for Dunn if they get him they will go after Brett Myers

Source?

Sad
Holy ****

I don't want Brett Myers anywhere near this team... :angry:

DirtySox
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/318621659/bobs_twittericon_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/BNightengale) BNightengale (http://twitter.com/BNightengale)
#mlb (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlb) White Sox have Edwin Jackson included in current trade package for Dunn. If Sox get Dunn, then will try to land Astros' Brett Myers

http://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/19930579818

Sources be important. Please post them.

Pablo_Honey
Holy ****

Ya mean the wife beater?

ilsox7
Holy ****

Can you please start sourcing your many posts? Not trying to be an ass here, but you are posting a lot of things with no links or reference to anything.

Crede24Thome25
The sox have included Jackson in a deal for dunn reports Bob Nightengale
http://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/19930579818

harwar
07-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Holy ****

http://twitter.com/BNightengale

there's also that "Myers & Berkman" thing still floating around

Pablo_Honey
We signed the kid for his bat. If he can take the field, that's just icing on the cake. Nothing wrong with having a DH who can hit, you know.

rdwj
Holy ****

That would be excellent.

Baron
Can you please start sourcing your many posts? Not trying to be an ass here, but you are posting a lot of things with no links or reference to anything.

Its all good I just wanted to get it out there and I will edit it after and put the sources up

doublem23
Somebody put something in Kenny's PB&J sandwich. He's out of control.

Slappy
How trustworthy is Nightengale, 1 - 10?

Moses_Scurry
07-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Where is Washington today? Could Dunn get to Chicago in time to be in the lineup tonight?

PalehosePlanet

Rizzo is probably feeling full of himself after fleecing The Twins for Matt Capps. He's trying to do the same thing to us. No biggie it's his product and he's trying to get the best possible return. I just KW doesn't cave like The Twins did and give up Viciedo.

TheOldRoman
Where is Washington today? Could Dunn get to Chicago in time to be in the lineup tonight?I don't know, but I think Adam Dunn is watching Despicable Me as we speak.

theamb
Ya mean the wife beater?

Yes..that wife beater

If he ends up coming here, Houston better eat most of his contract

Nelfox02
07-30-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm just glad we have a GM/owner that makes moves to go for it.

100% with you on this, each one of us has called out Jerry/Kenny/Oz at some point on this board, but one thing I think we can all agree on is that they care about giving us a winning baseball product. We may disagree with some of the methods from time to time however....

ilsox7
Its all good I just wanted to get it out there and I will edit it after and put the sources up

It may be all good for you, but I will look elsewhere then. I (and most others here) call bull**** until there is some sort of source. Take the extra 45 seconds to source it and do not be so intent on being the first person on a message board to post something.

Boondock Saint
Where is Washington today? Could Dunn get to Chicago in time to be in the lineup tonight?

Washington, D.C. is on the east coast every day. :tongue:

doublem23

:hurt
It's not the worst thing in the world.

Honestly, from my limited time seeing Viciedo play the field, I think he has the hands to be an OK 1B. He can't stick at the hot corner because he has the range of a stop sign.

kittle42
there's also that "Myers & Berkman" thing still floating around

I am interested in working for that law firm.

Sad

playing Philly in Wash.

Slappy
I'm sorry, but as excited as I am about the idea of getting Dunn, I can't get rid of this awful feeling in my stomach that Kotsay will still see semi-regular pt somehow. Anyone else?

russ99
Ya mean the wife beater?

The fact that he hit his wife has little to do about if he can help the Sox to the playoffs.

thomas35forever
Any chance of a three-way deal between the Sox, 'stros and Nats?

twinsuck
07-30-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't like this... I still had some faith in Dan Hudson.

Baron
It may be all good for you, but I will look elsewhere then. I (and most others here) call bull**** until there is some sort of source. Take the extra 45 seconds to source it and do not be so intent on being the first person on a message board to post something.

Whatever works for you.

Pablo_Honey
Somebody put something in Kenny's PB&J sandwich. He's out of control.
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Rizzo is probably feeling full of himself after fleecing The Twins for Matt Capps. He's trying to do the same thing to us. No biggie it's his product and he's trying to get the best possible return. I just KW doesn't cave like The Twins did and give up Viciedo.
Yup, that's how it seems. He's a sly one, that Rizzo.

TomParrish79
I'm sorry, but as excited as I am about the idea of getting Dunn, I can't get rid of this awful feeling in my stomach that Kotsay will still see semi-regular pt somehow. Anyone else?

He'll split time with Dunn and Konerko

soxfan43
The fact that he hit his wife has little to do about if he can help the Sox to the playoffs.

He's a pitcher, who cares how he hits?

On a more serious note, I'd love to get Dunn and Myers by 3pm tomorrow.

kittle42
How trustworthy is Nightengale, 1 - 10?

Well, I told him an extra special secret once that he was NOT supposed to tell ANYONE about, and the next day, all my besties knew the secret!!!

So I would say not very trustworthy!!!

But then the next day, he came over to let me in with my spare keys when I got locked out, so now he's my besty again!!!

hi im skot
07-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Not this again.

Slappy
That would sure be a Ratso Rizzo esque move.

thomas35forever
He'll split time with Dunn and Konerko
The most logical move under these circumstances would be to release Kotsay, but I doubt Ozzie would let it happen.

theamb

I hear Barry Bonds is available to DH

Pablo_Honey
Yeah, shoulda teal'd that post. I was poking fun at those who think the Sox are degrading themselves by acquiring someone who can actually pitch but has hit his wife in the past once. Not that I condone domestic abuse.

doublem23

You want to try maybe, I don't know, being a shade more sensitive? Hey, if you or anyone you care about has never had to deal with domestic violence in your life, you're a lucky guy. I'm not saying Brett Myers is the devil or that he doesn't deserve another chance to redeem himself, but let's not brush it off like it's nothing.

Hitmen77
I don't know, but I think Adam Dunn is watching Despicable Me as we speak.

...great movie, by the way. :cool:

Brian26
Whatever works for you.

See you after the 31st. I'm sick of your ****.

Slappy
07-30-2010, 01:43 PM
well, i told him an extra special secret once that he was not supposed to tell anyone about, and the next day, all my besties knew the secret!!!

So i would say not very trustworthy!!!

But then the next day, he came over to let me in with my spare keys when i got locked out, so now he's my besty again!!!

what

ChiWavDave
07-30-2010, 01:43 PM
http://twitter.com/CSNChi_Beatnik

Interesting

thomas35forever
07-30-2010, 01:44 PM
How many bans have been handed out since this news came across the wire?

Pablo_Honey
Aww man, now who's going to act all high and mighty by providing speculations and rumours that we could've looked up ourselves if we weren't so lazy?

kittle42

First.

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 01:45 PM
many people from Chicago loved Rodman and he abused women as well.. If Myers is with the Sox, I don't have to like him but would want him to win for us.

doublem23
07-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Sorry to have to "durive my sence of worth" again, and all, but the next person who makes a wife-beater joke is gone for quite a while.

It's not ****ing funny.

october23sp
07-30-2010, 01:46 PM
I don't know, but I think Adam Dunn is watching Despicable Me as we speak.

Potw. Also, because it is probably true.

Nelfox02
We signed the kid for his bat. If he can take the field, that's just icing on the cake. Nothing wrong with having a DH who can hit, you know.

I am just torn on him, like what I see overall at the plate (has even adjusted to off speed stuff better than I expected so far).....but his inablity to play the field.....just torn on whether or not to trade him.....If he is part of the deal to get Dunn.....do we do it?

Slappy
many people from Chicago loved Rodman and he abused women as well.. If Myers is with the Sox, I don't have to like him but would want him to win for us.

That's what I'm saying. I didn't even know about Rodman's domestic abuse stuff until just now when you posted that. Can't stand when people play judge jury and executioner.

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Well, it's all speculation and ego now, so I think I am going to go out for a run. I am really interested to see where things are when I come back!

october23sp
07-30-2010, 01:49 PM
I am going to second all of the other posters when I say PLEASE keep Dayan.

kufram
07-30-2010, 01:49 PM

Agree. I think he's a real hitter.

TheOldRoman
07-30-2010, 01:50 PM
He's a pitcher, who cares how he hits?Not cool.

thomas35forever
Sorry to have to "durive my sence of worth" again, and all, but the next person who makes a wife-beater joke is gone for quite a while.

It's not ****ing funny.
I'm not making jokes about it since he could be ours. If he's our fifth starter, he's our fifth starter and we'll have to get behind him for that reason (unless he sucks for us of course). There's no way Kenny will allow us to go with a four-man rotation for the next two months.

Pablo_Honey
I am just torn on him, like what I see overall at the plate (has even adjusted to off speed stuff better than I expected so far).....but his inablity to play the field.....just torn on whether or not to trade him.....If he is part of the deal to get Dunn.....do we do it?
Only if Kenny is confident that either 1) we can extend Dunn (very doubtful) or 2) Viciedo has a significant hole in his swing that will limit his success.

soxfanatlanta
This has been a most entertaining Friday, to say the least!

thomas35forever
07-30-2010, 01:51 PM
This has been a most entertaining Friday, to say the least!
Yeah. I was gonna play The Show, but I may just spend the rest of the afternoon by my computer instead.

october23sp
J---aiyznGQ

Video describes exactly how I feel right now.

Slappy
Wow, who the hell is Brett Ballantini? Starting to get excited here...

Chez
07-30-2010, 01:52 PM
The most logical move under these circumstances would be to release Kotsay, but I doubt Ozzie would let it happen.

Regardless of what moves the Sox make before tomorrow at 3, it's highly unlikely Kotsay will be released. He may develop a mysterious injury which lands him on the DL until roster expansion, but I just can't see him being released.

Anyone figured out who is going to get the spot start caused by the double header in Detroit? If Harrell stays, Sox need to make a roster move when Jackson gets here (if he's still on the team!).

TheOldRoman
07-30-2010, 01:52 PM
That's what I'm saying. I didn't even know about Rodman's domestic abuse stuff until just now when you posted that. Can't stand when people play judge jury and executioner.It isn't just the domestic violence incident, because as awful as it is, I suppose at some point you have to forgive and forget if it doesn't happen again. But from all accounts he is a jackass in general and disliked by teammates. I would prefer we get someone else.

doublem23
07-30-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm not making jokes about it since he could be ours. If he's our fifth starter, he's our fifth starter and we'll have to get behind him for that reason (unless he sucks for us of course). There's no way Kenny will allow us to go with a four-man rotation for the next two months.

This isn't a moratorium on Myers discussion, and frankly, I don't care if people talk about his past mistakes, but if you don't see the line between saying something like "Brett Myers punched his wife in the face a few years ago" and "Who cares how he hits?" then maybe you should refrain from posting about him unless you want to be banned until Spring Training.

That kind of humor is sophmoric and doesn't belong here. This isn't your friends den.

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 01:55 PM
It isn't just the domestic violence incident, because as awful as it is, I suppose at some point you have to forgive and forget if it doesn't happen again. But from all accounts he is a jackass in general and disliked by teammates. I would prefer we get someone else.

So was AJ. he kicked a teammate in the nuts, while a member with the Giants.

He comes to the Sox and all is forgotten.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 01:55 PM
So..3 o'clock Saturday...only another 25 hours for this place to completely go off the deep end.

PalehosePlanet
07-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Regardless of what moves the Sox make before tomorrow at 3, it's highly unlikely Kotsay will be released. He may develop a mysterious injury which lands him on the DL until roster expansion, but I just can't see him being released.

Anyone figured out who is going to get the spot start caused by the double header in Detroit? If Harrell stays, Sox need to make a roster move when Jackson gets here (if he's still on the team!).

I'd imagine Harrell starts only tonight and is immediately sent back down. Torres probably comes up to start one of the DH games at Detroit, and then is also sent back down.

Farsouthside
Why doesnt comcast sports have some coverage on this? Who gives a **** about Texas Tech vs Texas!

ilsox7

Stop repeating false rumors.

VeeckAsInWreck
Outside of the wife incident the only other thing I know Brett Myers for is for being one of the orchestrators of the prank on Kyle Kendrick a couple of years ago.

0nKKqPOiJxI

thomas35forever
07-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Outside of the wife incident the only other thing I know Brett Myers for is for being one of the orchestrators of the prank on Kyle Kendrick a couple of years ago.

0nKKqPOiJxI
It's still brilliant two years later.

Pablo_Honey

Um, I surely hope you don't think kicking a grown man in the nuts for fun (however painful it might be) is the same thing as hitting a woman. I get your point and all, but you are using a bad example.

bestkosher
Back when the all star ballotting was going on I voted for PK and the Arizona reresentative to make it in. Well because of this, I got dueling emails from both the Sox and DBacks when the trade went down. Just kind of a neat thing.

hi im skot

I don't recall this actually being confirmed.

If it is true, being a douche to your teammates isn't on the same level as beating your wife.

Farsouthside
07-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Where are you reading this? What happened to TheOldRomans last post???

TomBradley72
07-30-2010, 01:58 PM
This absolutely apocalyptic.

:popcorn:

Moses_Scurry
07-30-2010, 01:59 PM
playing Philly in Wash.

Hmmm. Trade gets done at 3:30 EST. Dunn hops on private jet at 4:30 EST. Arrives in Chicago at 5:30 CST. Gets bags and hops in Limo at 6:00 CST. Arrives at US Cellular at 6:45 CST. A quick shower/change, coupled with a lengthy first inning from the nervous rookie, and he's ready to bat in the bottom of the first. It's just crazy enough to work!

Seriously, I do remember reading a story about a guy who played a day game in New York against the Yankees (I think), was traded to a national team who happened to be playing the Mets that night, and made it to Shea to start in the night game.

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Um, I surely hope you don't think kicking a grown man in the nuts for fun (however painful it might be) is the same thing as hitting a woman. I get your point and all, but you are using a bad example.

No i'm just using AJ jack ass things as a example.Both things are terrible in my mind.

SoxNation05
07-30-2010, 02:00 PM

haha Who did he kick in the nuts?

TheOldRoman

He comes to the Sox and all is forgotten.1) No he didn't, that was a rumor. 2)the rumor had him kneeing the team's trainer.

Also, he didn't ****ing hit a woman in the face. I would say that is not an arbitrary line to draw.

The Immigrant

It was supposedly the team's trainer he kneed in the groin, not a teammate, and I believe the story was confirmed to be an urban legend.

kittle42
This isn't your friends den.

People still have dens? Like Mike Brady?

What about my friend's study?

soxfan43
07-30-2010, 02:01 PM
haha Who did he kick in the nuts?

I believe the rumor was Brett Tomko and then I think it was Borchard who went yard off him and AJ left him a crisp hundred dollar bill in his locker during Spring Training.

Farsouthside
Hmmm. Trade gets done at 3:30 EST. Dunn hops on private jet at 4:30 EST. Arrives in Chicago at 5:30 CST. Gets bags and hops in Limo at 6:00 CST. Arrives at US Cellular at 6:45 CST. A quick shower/change, coupled with a lengthy first inning from the nervous rookie, and he's ready to bat in the bottom of the first. It's just crazy enough to work!

Seriously, I do remember reading a story about a guy who played a day game in New York against the Yankees (I think), was traded to a national team who happened to be playing the Mets that night, and made it to Shea to start in the night game.

Na they would have to custom make him a uniform, he's a big boy, they dont have pants that big in reserve.

BringHomeDaBacon
If anyone is interested in Brett Myers they might want to read the following story. **** him.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/06/24/visiting_player_hit_wife_police_charge/

TheOldRoman
Where are you reading this? What happened to TheOldRomans last post???My post deletion is just as mysterious as Bowden's twitter!

I took it down because I misread Bowden's post. He says the Sox are trying to get Dunn without giving up Jackson but might have to throw him in.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-30-2010, 02:02 PM
People still have dens? Like Mike Brady?

What about my friend's study?

Rumpus room?

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 02:02 PM

If it is true, being a douche to your teammates isn't on the same level as beating your wife.

even though it was a teammate. Its still another human being.

AJ & Rodman are loved in CHicago and they have done some terrible things

eriqjaffe
07-30-2010, 02:03 PM
haha Who did he kick in the nuts?It was, supposedly, Giants trainer Stan Conte. During a ST game, AJ got hit in the groin by a pitch (while catching, not batting). Conte ran out, asked him how it felt, and AJ angrily replied "like this," and gave Conte a knee to the jewels.

At least, that's the story. It's never been confirmed, and AJ denies it.

SOURCE?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._Pierzynski#Controversies