PDA

View Full Version : Sox pursuing Edwin Jackson (and, apparently, just about everyone else)

Pages : [1] 2

Sockinchisox
07-30-2010, 12:50 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/white-sox-trade-deadling-starting-pitching-072910

Danielgosox38
07-30-2010, 12:53 AM
I wouldn't mind this at all. It would be a solid addition. And he is under contract next season.

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 12:55 AM
If we get Jackson, then do we trade Hudson for a bat?

Pablo_Honey
07-30-2010, 12:55 AM
No, just no. I'd more comfortable with Hudson out there every 5th day. Jackson's never been a good pitcher aside from his flukey 2009.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 12:56 AM
I really hope that Rosenthal is wrong about us then not wanting to flip Jackson to the Nats, but instead keep him. Jackson has good stuff, as evident by the no-hitter (of course he did walk a ton of guys that game), but he benefited a lot from pitching in Detroit last year and has been pretty mediocre in Arizona, a park that players similar to Sox park.

Only positive I could see is he could act as a decent 5th starter this year and a trade chip for next year.

Noneck
07-30-2010, 01:03 AM
I can dig it.

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Do not want.

LoveYourSuit
07-30-2010, 01:21 AM
No, just no. I'd more comfortable with Hudson out there every 5th day. Jackson's never been a good pitcher aside from his flukey 2009.

Are you serious?

OMG, I think you are :o:

Chrisaway
07-30-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm pretty sure this is just a trading chip for Dunn.

mjmcend
07-30-2010, 02:17 AM
Are you serious?

OMG, I think you are :o:

For this year only, I'd rather take my chances with Edwin, but not at the expense, as the article suggests, of Hudson. 5 more years of a cost-controlled Hudson vs. 1 more year of Jackson is an easy call.

ghostface36
disgusting if we keep him or trade for him whatsoever

Sockinchisox
Sox in serious discussions for Jackson, Hudson and a prospect to the D-Backs.

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/19888744661

I hope this somehow includes Dunn.

mjmcend
07-30-2010, 02:19 AM

I really don't like getting Jackson at that price.

gr8mexico
07-30-2010, 02:22 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
They better be getting someone else in that deal.

Sockinchisox
07-30-2010, 02:31 AM
It's up on the site.

Sox on the verge of landing Jackson (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-latest-news-from-July-070110)

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 02:40 AM
Really not a huge fan. While he's probably an upgrade over Hudson (for this year), I don't like trading Hudson to get him. Jackson has been inconsistent and is owed $8.35 million next year. He also becomes a free agent in 2012 so we don't control him long at all.

There has to be a starter out there that let's us keep Hudson and acts as insurance in case Hudson doen't pan out.

Is anyone else suprised Torres started today in AAA? If we trade Hudson before his start we basically kill our bullpen at the beginning of a three game series because we will have to go the Pena for 4 or 5, everone else for 1 or 2 type route.

If Adam LaRoche or by some miracle Mark Reynolds, is included in this deal, well then I have a different opinion.

Sockinchisox
07-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Source says the second prospect is another pitcher.

I bet it's Torres since he was pulled after 75 pitches tonight.

http://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/19890599061

Danielgosox38
07-30-2010, 02:55 AM
I don't mind getting Jackson, but looks like we are giving up our biggest trade bait that we have in order to get another bat. Not a big fan of what we are looking to give up.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Not really crazy about trading Hudson for Jackson. He isn't that great, but if the Sox want a middle-rotation starter, I guess Jackson fits that description. Maybe there is something else going on?

Sockinchisox
07-30-2010, 02:58 AM
Not really crazy about trading Hudson for Jackson. He isn't that great, but if the Sox want a middle-rotation starter, I guess Jackson fits that description. Maybe there is something else going on?

No he doesn't, he's been positively awful this year and for most of his career. I don't get this at all, giving up one of your top prospects for a year and a half of a bad pitcher. They're putting a ton of stock into Cooper's ability to "fix" Jackson, it's not worth giving up Hudson based on that.

Sam Spade
07-30-2010, 03:01 AM
I don't like this at all. I'm not convinced that Jackson would outperform Hudson this year. Please don't bother citing Hudson's extremely limited stats to me. One good start at this point and his stats look completely different.

Jackson is paid much more and is under control for many less years. It just seems like a crappy move to me. I don't mind getting a pitcher to help the sox win this year by trading Hudson, but he has to be someone to be relied on, not a question mark like Jackson. Sure he is more proven than Hudson, but that hasn't done much for his game this season.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-30-2010, 03:02 AM
No he doesn't, he's been positively awful this year. I don't get this at all, giving up one of your top prospects for a year and a half of a bad pitcher. They're putting a ton of stock into Cooper's ability to "fix" Jackson, it's not worth giving up Hudson based on that.

I didn't say I wanted it to happen. He's been brutal this year, but looking at what he did the last 2 years, that isn't too bad. I don't think he's actually that good, but he can't be this bad either. Maybe it leads to something else, or it falls through. It is just a rumor at this point.

Banix12
07-30-2010, 03:03 AM
I would honestly rather stick with Hudson for the rest of the year. Edwin Jackson hasn't had a quality start in over a month. Unless this is part of another deal I don't see how it helps you get to the playoffs trading your best pitching prospect for a guy having a lousy year pitching in a division not particularly known for high powered offenses.

doublem23
07-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Edwin Jackson sucks.

Not a big fan of this as a deadline move, maybe an off-season deal when Cooper would have time to work with him (I'm assuming if they want him, they see something in his mechanics that needs to be fixed, because I'm sure nobody sane is looking at his career stats and saying, HOW CAN I GET THIS GUY???).

munchman33
07-30-2010, 03:31 AM
I'd be surprised if Dan Hudson is ever half as good as Edwin Jackson. I can't believe the way people are reacting to this. Jackson's at worst middle of the rotation ceiling, with the talent to likely be more. Hudson might not even top out middle of the rotation.

BigHurt3515
07-30-2010, 03:32 AM
This is terriable. I would do it if it wasnt fof Hudson AND another prospect?? Edwin isnt that great to be getting top prospects

munchman33
07-30-2010, 03:37 AM
This is terriable. I would do it if it wasnt fof Hudson AND another prospect?? Edwin isnt that great to be getting top prospects

Good thing we have exactly zero to give up. Hudson and anyone else in our system is a steal to get someone with a ceiling like Jackson's.

doublem23
07-30-2010, 03:38 AM
I'd be surprised if Dan Hudson is ever half as good as Edwin Jackson. I can't believe the way people are reacting to this. Jackson's at worst middle of the rotation ceiling, with the talent to likely be more. Hudson might not even top out middle of the rotation.

:rolleyes:

The guy is 26 years old, he's pitched over 800 innings in his career, 160 total games, 131 starts, still has a career WHIP over 1.50, strikes out less than 6.5 batters per 9 innings, walks over 4 per 9, and has an ERA+ under 100 for his career. There's no secrets with him, he's a reclamation project at this point. Shockingly, you're just being negative to be negative.

Sure, Dan Hudson might not ever amount to be what Edwin Jackson is (AKA garbage), but I'd take my chances. Jackson sucks.

munchman33
07-30-2010, 03:43 AM
:rolleyes:

The guy is 26 years old, he's pitched over 800 innings in his career, 160 total games, 131 starts, still has a career WHIP over 1.50, strikes out less than 6.5 batters per 9 innings, walks over 4 per 9, and has an ERA+ under 100 for his career. There's no secrets with him, he's a reclamation project at this point. Shockingly, you're just being negative to be negative.

Sure, Dan Hudson might not ever amount to be what Edwin Jackson is (AKA garbage), but I'd take my chances. Jackson sucks.

Wait what? You're being negative, I'm being positive. This is a great move.

This year has been a mess, but Jackson's three seasons prior have shown steady improvement. I'm not saying he's not a project, but he throws 95+ MPH and has had great success in the past while in our division. I don't see how this isn't a great move. We gave up next to nothing.

doublem23
07-30-2010, 03:49 AM
Wait what? You're being negative, I'm being positive. This is a great move.

This year has been a mess, but Jackson's three seasons prior have shown steady improvement. I'm not saying he's not a project, but he throws 95+ MPH and has had great success in the past while in our division. I don't see how this isn't a great move. We gave up next to nothing.

No, you're being negative about the Sox (shocking) in basically saying Hudson could never possibly replicate Jackson's ****ING AWFUL track record. Seriously, I don't give a **** how hard you throw if you're opponent's slash line is .275/.351/.435 over your career. Plus, HE MOVED TO THE NATIONAL LEAGUE and A PITCHER'S PARK and he got worse. And not just a little worse. He is awful.

Like I said, if the Sox saw something in Jackson and acquired him in the off-season as a project, that's one thing. Acquiring him in the middle of a race for a division? Talk about waving the white flag. No way would I want this loser taking the ball every 5th day.

Thankfully, nothing has been announced yet.

munchman33
07-30-2010, 03:55 AM
No, you're being negative about the Sox (shocking) in basically saying Hudson could never possibly replicate Jackson's ****ING AWFUL track record. Seriously, I don't give a **** how hard you throw if you're opponent's slash line is .275/.351/.435 over your career. Plus, HE MOVED TO THE NATIONAL LEAGUE and A PITCHER'S PARK and he got worse. And not just a little worse. He is awful.

Like I said, if the Sox saw something in Jackson and acquired him in the off-season as a project, that's one thing. Acquiring him in the middle of a race for a division? Talk about waving the white flag. No way would I want this loser taking the ball every 5th day.

I'm being negative about the Sox by being critical of an ex-sox pitcher in favor of a new sox pitcher. C'mon doublem....

I understand what you're saying about Jackson, but his numbers are that horrible largely due to how terrible he was in his first full season combined with part time work being rushed to the majors going all the way back to his four years with the Dodgers. His second full season was better than league average and his third year he was missing a lot of bats. He lost his control, for whatever reason, this year. Maybe the Sox know why?

On Hudson...I don't know why everyone keeps falling for this. Sox tout prospect that national scouts aren't big on only to trade him away. Don't be surprised as he toils in obscurity. Kenny wins again.

Sam Spade
07-30-2010, 04:06 AM
I'm being negative about the Sox by being critical of an ex-sox pitcher in favor of a new sox pitcher. C'mon doublem....

I understand what you're saying about Jackson, but his numbers are that horrible largely due to how terrible he was in his first full season combined with part time work being rushed to the majors going all the way back to his four years with the Dodgers. His second full season was better than league average and his third year he was missing a lot of bats. He lost his control, for whatever reason, this year. Maybe the Sox know why?

On Hudson...I don't know why everyone keeps falling for this. Sox tout prospect that national scouts aren't big on only to trade him away. Don't be surprised as he toils in obscurity. Kenny wins again.
Right now, Jackson isn't a Sox pitcher. He is a Diamondbacks pitcher, and a terrible one. Regardless of what you say Hudson is, or what you say he is worth, or what you say he will be, Jackson just sucks. It is highly unlikely that he will help this team win.

stockonline2
07-30-2010, 04:11 AM
I don't like this at all. I'm not convinced that Jackson would outperform Hudson this year. Please don't bother citing Hudson's extremely limited stats to me. One good start at this point and his stats look completely different.

Not that I necessarily disagree with the general underwhelming sentiment regarding Jackson, I think just this type of opinion is ridiculous. You might argue that this might be a poor move in the longer-term, and I would probably agree with you, but how can you possibly argue that Hudson is better than Edwin Jackson today?

A guy with 8 years of service time and a no-hitter btw vs. a pitcher who has appeared in a grand total of 9 career games. There would be an immediate improvement in the rotation.

I'm hoping this move doesn't happen but let's at least look at this realistically. This move would very likely improve our chances this year.

Sam Spade
07-30-2010, 04:15 AM
Not that I necessarily disagree with the general underwhelming sentiment regarding Jackson, I think just this type of opinion is ridiculous. You might argue that this might be a poor move in the longer-term, and I would probably agree with you, but how can you possibly argue that Hudson is better than Edwin Jackson today?

A guy with 8 years of service time and a no-hitter btw vs. a pitcher who has appeared in a grand total of 9 career games. There would be an immediate improvement in the rotation.

I'm hoping this move doesn't happen but let's at least look at this realistically. This move would very likely improve our chances this year.
Because today, a month removed from his no hyphen hitter Jackson is pitching very poorly in a big park. In July, Daniel Hudson has one more quality start than Jackson does, despite having pitched in less games.

stockonline2
07-30-2010, 04:20 AM
Because today, a month removed from his no hyphen hitter Jackson is pitching very poorly in a big park. In July, Daniel Hudson has one more quality start than Jackson does, despite having pitched in less games.

I'll be expecting Hudson's no-hitter shortly. :D:

Banix12
07-30-2010, 04:23 AM

Just because a pitcher has a no hitter doesn't make them a good pitcher. Remember Bud Smith?

And just because a pitcher has more experience doesn't necessarily mean that he would improve a rotation. It just means he has more experience, he can still be terrible.

I would just say this seems like Jackson would only be a marginal upgrade right now over what we currently have.

And if I were going to trade to get a player to help the team win this season, I would rather trade hudson for Ted Lilly or Brett Myers, guys with a better track record of success.

If this trade is true, I hope the D'Backs are picking up a good chunk of his salary for next year.

Sam Spade
07-30-2010, 04:25 AM
I'll be expecting Hudson's no-hitter shortly. :D:

I don't really care about no hitters. I care about having a fifth starter that can keep us in games. In the last month, Hudson would have been better at that than Jackson. I guess I am just expecting more crappy pitching from Jackson this year. Frustrating crappy pitching too, with a lot of untimely walks.

If they get him, I hope I am wrong.

stockonline2
07-30-2010, 04:51 AM
Just because a pitcher has a no hitter doesn't make them a good pitcher. Remember Bud Smith?

And just because a pitcher has more experience doesn't necessarily mean that he would improve a rotation. It just means he has more experience, he can still be terrible.

I would just say this seems like Jackson would only be a marginal upgrade right now over what we currently have.

And if I were going to trade to get a player to help the team win this season, I would rather trade hudson for Ted Lilly or Brett Myers, guys with a better track record of success.

Once again, I agree with the sentiments towards Jackson. However, I disagree that Hudson is an obvious improvement over him today as many have implied in this thread.

As Sam requested earlier, let's go ahead and throw out Hudson's performance thus far because it is too small of a sample size. Would you really risk your chances in a pennant race on a guy with zero experience? You can't have it both ways - either Hudson is battle-tested or he has not been tested period. Jackson's stats aren't great but you don't need an ace for the fifth starter slot. I'll take the mediocre pitcher with 131 career starts vs. an unproven commodity for the fifth spot any day of the week.

All that being said I'll conclude with the following: I like Hudson and I hope this trade doesn't happen. I think he has a bright future. However, if it does go through it will not spell doom for the rest of the season.

NLaloosh
07-30-2010, 04:54 AM

I disagree. I don't see the point of giving up Hudson for Jackson. Jackson is having a horrible season. And,in fact, has only had one good season in his career.

Plus, he's owed a ton of money for next year and his agent his borass so he's gone after next year.

It would be one thing if Hudson wasn't included because then the Sox would have him as insurance for Freddy going down or resting the rotation a bit.

guillensdisciple
07-30-2010, 05:23 AM

Holy ****.... we agree!!!

I want him here.

Tragg
07-30-2010, 07:01 AM
We actually considering trading our top pitching prospect for a veteran nl pitcher who sports a 5+ era and a 1.5 whip in a nl pitchers park? That's pure insanity.
We could have had Haren; that's halfway to Oswalt.

Don't trade legitimate talent for vet ceiling 5th starters

Sargeant79
07-30-2010, 07:16 AM
We actually considering trading our top pitching prospect for a veteran nl pitcher who sports a 5+ era and a 1.5 whip in a nl pitchers park? That's pure insanity.
We could have had Haren; that's halfway to Oswalt.

Don't trade legitimate talent for vet ceiling 5th starters

I'm not sold on this trade, by any means. But regarding the bolded part...

This is actually his first year in the NL since he was a prospect. He was on the Tigers last year and the Rays the couple years before that. In fact, the bit of major league success he has had came in the AL.

What this all boils down to is the Sox' confidence in Hudson for this year and next. One thing I will give the Sox credit for...they seem to scout their own players really well.

Balfanman
07-30-2010, 07:29 AM
On the surface I really don't like this trade, if this is true. I will say that I trust K.W.'s judgement as he's been right more often than not. Most didn't like the Danks or Floyd trades when they first happenned either, but then we weren't in the middle of a pennant race.

GAsoxfan
07-30-2010, 07:40 AM
I disagree. I don't see the point of giving up Hudson for Jackson. Jackson is having a horrible season. And,in fact, has only had one good season in his career.

Plus, he's owed a ton of money for next year and his agent his borass so he's gone after next year.

It would be one thing if Hudson wasn't included because then the Sox would have him as insurance for Freddy going down or resting the rotation a bit.

Actually, he's only had 1/2 of a good season. In 2009 his splits were:

Pre All-Star break: 2.52 ERA
Post All-Star break: 5.07 ERA

This would be a terrible trade. This guy has been on four teams during his major league career. I know there are exceptions, but usually good pitchers aren't traded three times before they're 26.

harwar
07-30-2010, 07:49 AM
The nats want Edwin Jackson pretty bad so it could be KW's way of prying Dunn away .. i've seen Jackson have some good games but he's pretty flaky and even during his no-hitter,he was all over the place .. one thing about Ken Williams is that NO ONE knows what he might do .. he's unpredictable ..

Thome_Fan
07-30-2010, 08:02 AM
The nats want Edwin Jackson pretty bad so it could be KW's way of prying Dunn away .. i've seen Jackson have some good games but he's pretty flaky and even during his no-hitter,he was all over the place .. one thing about Ken Williams is that NO ONE knows what he might do .. he's unpredictable ..

But if we give up Hudson to get Jackson for the Nats, who the **** is our fifth starter?

A. Cavatica
07-30-2010, 08:04 AM
1.511 career WHIP.

I'm pretty sure Carlos Torres could provide that.

PolishPrince34
07-30-2010, 08:37 AM
If we trade for Jackson, their is definitely a second move. Washington has been trying to get Jackson from Arizona for the last month. This is setting up a move to get Dunn. The only question I have who would be our #5 starting pitcher-Carlos Torres? or is their going to be a 3rd move.

soxfan43
07-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Jon Heyman from CNNSI just tweeted that the Sox are closing in on the deal and it would be Hudson and another prospect. I'm not a huge Edwin Jackson fan so I'm hoping there's another deal on the horizon if this goes down.

doublem23
07-30-2010, 08:47 AM
If after weeks of being tantilized by the prospects of Adam Dunn, Dan Haren, Prince Fielder, etc. we end up with Edwin Jackson... sigh, I'm just going to have to sit back, strap it down, and pray for the best.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jacksed01.shtml

At what point does a guy go from being "young" and "learning to figure it out" to just plain being ****? This is his 8th season in the Majors, 5th full one, he has 800 innings under his belt, 130 starts (for comparison, in Danks' career, he has 668 IP in 111 starts) and he's 26 years old; he's in his prime years and has regressed terribly from his fluke 2009 year.

Just say no to Edwin. ****, if the D'backs want to trade away their young starters, I'd rather take Ian Kennedy.

psyclonis
07-30-2010, 08:49 AM
yucky trade if true, would rather have KW try for Zambrano+cash for nothing...

siugrad25
07-30-2010, 08:57 AM
This trade proposal is very interesting:

There's one part of me that believes this move prompts a second trade to Washington for Dunn because of all the rumors surrounding the Nationals and Edwin Jackson. But doesn't explain what the Sox would do with the empty hole in the rotation. And if Torres is still around, would you really want him in your rotation to secure the division? Although it does sound like he would be part of the package.

So there are a couple different avenues Kenny can go here if Jackson comes here via trade:

1) Keep Jackson and trade for other bat (Hawpe, Berkman, other)
2) Trade Jackson to third team (Washington?) for bat. Acquire another mid-level arm (like a Westbrook, etc.).

I don't know what to feel about Jackson. He has shown that he can be a solid pitcher, outside of the no-hitter. So I guess he would fit in with the rotation. But giving away Hudson for Jackson, I am not sold on completely. That's why I keep on thinking Kenny has a larger plan in mind here. It's not like I am in love with every prospect, but this move just strikes me as curious.

Dick Allen
07-30-2010, 08:58 AM
I'd much rather the Sox were facing Edwin Jackson than trading for him.

Zakath
07-30-2010, 08:58 AM
If we trade for Jackson, their is definitely a second move. Washington has been trying to get Jackson from Arizona for the last month. This is setting up a move to get Dunn. The only question I have who would be our #5 starting pitcher-Carlos Torres? or is their going to be a 3rd move.

That's a good explanation as to why both teams are wallowing in last place in their respective divisions.

siugrad25
07-30-2010, 09:01 AM
yucky trade if true, would rather have KW try for Zambrano+cash for nothing...

I know the level of interest in Zambrano on this board is quite wide, but if the Cubs are willing to pay a LARGE portion his money, I'd take him on the South Side. Maybe I am just asking to be beaten. :D:

canOcorn
07-30-2010, 09:06 AM
I agree Jackson is pretty underwhelming, but I've seen quite a few people in this thread throw around that Chase Field is a pitchers park and that is absolutely false. It's more of a hitters park than US Cellular.

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 09:12 AM
Just maybe KW isn't all that high on Hudson. A lot of people were pissed when we traded Garcia for Floyd.

Maybe the trade is for Jackson & Laroche

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Reports are that trade would be Hudson plus another pitching prospect (Marquez maybe?) If were then to flip Jackson to Washington for Dunn, this would be a way for us to effectively lower Washington's asking price since we would be able to keep Viciedo, Flowers, Morel, and Danks.

siugrad25
07-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Just maybe KW isn't all that high on Hudson. A lot of people were pissed when we traded Garcia for Floyd.

I like the thinking. It could be a one-stop shopping trip for the Sox. This is a really good point. I can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else that saw Adam LaRoche's name mentioned as a possibility, but it would fit Kenny's desires for this ballclub.

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM

I really hope so.

RealFan
07-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Well I'm not a fan if the trade is basically a swap of Hudson for Jackson. However, this does make me feel better in that the Sox must be very confident that Peavy is returning full strength from his injury for next season. Because if that wasn't the case, this deal would really not make sense to me.

I'm in the "give Hudson a chance" camp.

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 09:31 AM
For those unaware, Edwin Jackson is set to make $8.35 million next year. That is rather significant.

Corlose 15
07-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Personally I'd rather have someone like Berkman and Hudson in the 5 spot than Jackson.

I also don't understand acquiring Jackson if they're just going to flip him for Dunn. Especially if Torres is supposedly the other piece going with Hudson.

cws05champ
07-30-2010, 09:32 AM
At some point you have to stop talking about ceiling with pitchers. Jackson is not a prospect anymore, he is what he is. A pitcher that has seemed to peak already that sports a career 5 ERA as a starter. No doubt Jackson has great stuff, but you have to pitch with your head too, and that's where he seems to be deficient.

Look at all of his years as a starter:
Year IP ER ERA WHIP
2007 161 IP, 103 ER 5.76 1.758
2008 183.1 90 4.42 1.505
2009(1st half) 121.2 34 2.52 1.060
(2nd half) 92.1 52 5.07 1.527
2010 134.1 77 5.16 1.496

Looks like a nice little bell curve with his peak in the 1st half of 2009. Jackson as the 5th starter this year I have more confidence in than Hudson but it's the big picture that Hudson will be cheaper and cost controlled for 6 years and over that time will probably be better than Jackson when it's all said and done. If we were to make the playoffs this year would anyone here have confidence in Jackson as the game 4 starter?

Trading our best pitching prospect for E-Jack when our needs are a big bat is not what we need to do. IF we flip Jackson for a bat or we get LaRoche in the deal as well, my opinion changes.

balke
07-30-2010, 09:33 AM
I think the Sox are high on Hudson. They must be higher on Sale though. I keep forgetting he's probably going to be up next season. He seems intent on being in the majors ASAP. I'm not a Jackson fan - but he's good enough. Could be flipped for Dunn too... who knows?

balke
07-30-2010, 09:35 AM
I will say - I think Hudson could put up that kind of ERA pretty easily this season. I hope Coop sees something like he did with Contreras.

doublem23
07-30-2010, 09:49 AM
For those unaware, Edwin Jackson is set to make $8.35 million next year. That is rather significant.

Sweet Jesus. He becomes less and less appealing every time I read this thread.

Hitmen77
07-30-2010, 09:54 AM

Wow, I hope this report isn't true (or there's more to the trade than being reported). I don't know if Hudson will be able to help us this year, but I doubt that Jackson will be much better. His numbers look terrible and that's with him been pitching in the NL!

So, we'd be getting little improvement in pitching PLUS we'd get saddled with another biggish contract (remember that when the Sox say they're out of money again next winter and stop one player short of a solid team). IMO, Jackson isn't going to help us much more over Hudson now and at least Hudson is just starting out, has more upside at this point, and is making league minimum.

It'll be pretty pissed if KW trades Hudson AND another pitching prospect for a Edwin Jackson

But if we give up Hudson to get Jackson for the Nats, who the **** is our fifth starter?

No kidding. If there indeed is a plan to send Hudson to Ariz and flip Jackson for Dunn, then we're really screwed for the 5th starter spot. That would only work if the Sox made a 2nd deal for a serviceable starting pitcher.

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 09:57 AM

Indeed. I hope either LaRoche is in the deal, or they plan on flipping him for Dunn, despite the lack of a 5th starter.

Dibbs
07-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Hudson for Jackson would be a huge mistake. I'm not even sure if that's an upgrade. I guess I would take Jackson, but not for our best prospect.

tm1119
07-30-2010, 10:00 AM
he's definitely the power arm coop loves and the buy low on potential KW loves. I'm all for it if he's cheap. That would make me feel much better about trading Hudson for a bat.

cws05champ
07-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Wow, I hope this report isn't true (or there's more to the trade than being reported). I don't know if Hudson will be able to help us this year, but I doubt that Jackson will be much better. His numbers look terrible and that's with him been pitching in the NL!

So, we'd be getting little improvement in pitching PLUS we'd get saddled with another biggish contract (remember that when the Sox say they're out of money again next winter and stop one player short of a solid team). IMO, Jackson isn't going to help us much more over Hudson now and at least Hudson is just starting out, has more upside at this point, and is making league minimum.

It'll be pretty pissed if KW trades Hudson AND another pitching prospect for a Edwin Jackson

No kidding. If there indeed is a plan to send Hudson to Ariz and flip Jackson for Dunn, then we're really screwed for the 5th starter spot. That would only work if the Sox made a 2nd deal for a serviceable starting pitcher.

I remember 1-2 years ago there was a report that KW was going after John Lannan, who is having a down year and seems to be falling out of favor in DC. Could possibly be a package to land Dunn/Lannan for Jackson and other prospects?

seventyseven
07-30-2010, 10:05 AM

would be shocked if the dbacks did not pick up a big portion of that if a trade were made

Hitmen77
07-30-2010, 10:05 AM

Indeed. I hope either LaRoche is in the deal, or they plan on flipping him for Dunn, despite the lack of a 5th starter.

You'd think that the salary dump for Arizona would be enough to significantly lower what we'd have to send to them. Trading Hudson for someone who isn't a very good pitcher, is 28 yrs old, and making $8.35 million next year sounds like a terrible, terrible idea.

Jackson is not going to do much to put us over the top this year, and it's going to hamstring us financially next year......and of course we lose Hudson who might actually improve over time.

....but I know, I should listen to the WSI experts: Hudson is only projected to be a #3 starter - therefore he is useless garbage. Plus his struggles in 3 starts this year means he's just a huge flop and will never amount to anything.:rolleyes:

russ99
07-30-2010, 10:12 AM
I'd be all for the Sox acquiring Edwin Jackson, either to keep as the 4th starter or flip for Dunn, but only as long as Hudson isn't part of the deal.

Talk about overpaying. I doubt Kenny is that desperate.

TheOldRoman
07-30-2010, 10:12 AM
I hope this is a smokescreen. Hudson is far too valuable to trade for Jackson. Throw in a few more players and it would have topped the package Arizona got for Dan Haren. I wouldn't mind getting Jackson in general, but not at the expense of Hudson.

If the Sox are trying to acquire Jackson to trade for Dunn, where are they going to get a 5th starter? I just doesn't make sense. I guess we will have to until 3 p.m. tomorrow to find out.

dickallen15
07-30-2010, 10:14 AM
If Jackson pitches like he did in 2008 and 2009, he's not a bad pickup. I don't know about trading Hudson, but if they do deal him they obviously aren't very high on him. Its funny some of the same people who thought paying Javy Vazquez $11.5 million a year was a great idea but if this guy gets $8.3 million the team will be hamstrung.

I still think this is smoke and mirrors unless they see something easily correctible in Jackson that will get him to throw strikes more consistently, which would make him top of the line.

dwitt76
07-30-2010, 10:22 AM
This sounds like this move would be a Reinsdorf backed traded (of course all are). But he said on The Club he likes to get good players who had bad pervious year, and that they have to prove themselves again

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 10:25 AM
You have got to be kidding me. Any chance I just haven't woke up yet?

RockJock07
07-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Coop, KW, and Ozzie know more about baseball then I do so I would assume they've done their HW on Jackson and It would be fair to say that coop believes that he can work with Jackson.

Hudson really hasn't pitched well at all and maybe KW and Ozzie didn't like his mindset when he couldn't throw strikes vs KC with a big lead and didn't look all that good last sunday. Granted, he's very young but maybe they know something we don't.

Let this playout and see if Jackson is flipped for Dunn.

TheOldRoman
07-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Coop, KW, and Ozzie know more about baseball then I do so I would assume they've done their HW on Jackson and It would be fair to say that coop believes that he can work with Jackson.

Hudson really hasn't pitched well at all and maybe KW and Ozzie didn't like his mindset when he couldn't throw strikes vs KC with a big lead and didn't look all that good last sunday. Granted, he's very young but maybe they know something we don't.

Let this playout and see if Jackson is flipped for Dunn.I remember hearing that Jackson is one of the guys Coop wanted to get his hands on. If that is true, I could see them keeping him. It isn't a matter of trading for him, I just think they could either get him for less or get someone better for Hudson.

Sockinchisox
07-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Nightengale is also reporting Sox and D-backs are close to a deal.

http://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/19913197037

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
He has good stuff that just needs some help with consistancy and delivery. I love his power arm.

I will trust Kenny, Hahn and our scouts.

AzureJazzMan
07-30-2010, 10:33 AM
I remember hearing that Jackson is one of the guys Coop wanted to get his hands on. If that is true, I could see them keeping him. It isn't a matter of trading for him, I just think they could either get him for less or get someone better for Hudson.

As I recall, around 2 years ago. Coop and KW liked Jackson and Homer Bailey for their Gavin "Floydesque" potential.

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Nightengale is also reporting Sox and D-backs are close to a deal.

http://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/19913197037

Ugh. I hope he is flipped. If they are giving up Hudson I'd rather take the rental Dunn and the 2 draft picks.

TheOldRoman
07-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Ugh. I hope he is flipped. If they are giving up Hudson I'd rather take the rental Dunn and the 2 draft picks.So if he is flipped where would we find a 5th starter? If you need a Hudson type talent to get Ed Jackson, what would the Sox have to give up to get a #4 or 5? Obviously there is more going on than we know, but it doesn't make sense thusfar.

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 10:37 AM
So if he is flipped where would we find a 5th starter? If you need a Hudson type talent to get Ed Jackson, what would the Sox have to give up to get a #4 or 5? Obviously there is more going on than we know, but it doesn't make sense thusfar.

I have no idea what they are thinking in that regard. I just would rather have Dunn + 2 picks instead of an expensive mediocre Jackson. Especially if Hudson is given up.

GoSox2K3
07-30-2010, 10:38 AM
If Jackson pitches like he did in 2008 and 2009, he's not a bad pickup. I don't know about trading Hudson, but if they do deal him they obviously aren't very high on him. Its funny some of the same people who thought paying Javy Vazquez $11.5 million a year was a great idea but if this guy gets $8.3 million the team will be hamstrung.

I still think this is smoke and mirrors unless they see something easily correctible in Jackson that will get him to throw strikes more consistently, which would make him top of the line.

Huh? So you went back digging for posts from 4 years ago to see if anyone was okay with Javy's deal then because that means it permanently disqualifies that person from ever worrying about any future contract?......even one that's years later for a different player under different circumstances for the team?

Yeah, it's funny. :rolleyes:
:dumbpeople:

tm1119
07-30-2010, 10:39 AM
This deal has to be for Dunn. I'm guessing KW has been going hard after Dunn with Hudson, but the Nats aren't interested in him all that much. The nats have made it apparent that they want Jackson so now Kw is acquiring him to flip him in a Dunn deal. The rumor is Hudson and another P prospect. As far as I'm concerned we don't have anotherpitching prospect worth noting so it's not a bad deal. We would then swing Jackson and another prospect(morel?) for Dunn. So essentially it would be the original deal of Hudson and morel for Dunn, just with another P prospect that we don't care about involved.

seems pretty elaborate if true. Maybe KW and management plan on offering Dunn a contract at the end of the year.

sorry if there's a lot of typos in that. I'm on my phone.

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm sure KW asked Coop, who would he rather have?

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 10:41 AM
This deal has to be for Dunn. I'm guessing KW has been going hard after Dunn with Hudson, but the Nats aren't interested in him all that much. The nats have made it apparent that they want Jackson so now Kw is acquiring him to flip him in a Dunn deal.

I'm not sure I understand why the Nats are so enamored with E-Jack.

ndgt10
07-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Hudson may be one of our organization's top prospects, but he is not valued as much by other organizations.

You have to remember our farm system is bottom 3, even not the worst in all of baseball.

If you can get a guy like Jackson straight up for Hudson, you do it.

Stop overrating your own players.

thedudeabides
07-30-2010, 10:42 AM
I remember hearing that Jackson is one of the guys Coop wanted to get his hands on. If that is true, I could see them keeping him. It isn't a matter of trading for him, I just think they could either get him for less or get someone better for Hudson.

This is the most important thing about this deal if it happens. They have seen Jackson up close at almost every stage of his career between spring training with the Dodgers and D-Backs and him pitching in the AL. If Coop thinks he can work with him and harness his talent, than it's worth it. He has gotten a pretty good look at Hudson and he might think he can get a lot more out of Jackson than Hudson.

I think it's also telling of what the Sox really think about Hudson. They seem willing to include him in just about every deal.

If there is one area that should be trusted on the White Sox management team, it is their ability to not only accurataly evaluate their own young pitching talent, but to identify other pitchers they can get a lot out of.

The price tag is high, more in dollar amounts than anything, but I think after this trade the Sox are a better club this year and that's the most important thing.

SOXBOY
07-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Why would they flip Jackson for Dunn. The Sox don't have another starter to fill 5th spot. Unless there is another deal I think Jackson is staying with the Sox.

Coops4Aces
I guess I wasn't having a nightmare, this is actually legit. No chance we flip him for Dunn unless Kotsay can be our 5th starter.

seventyseven
hudson may be one of our organization's top prospects, but he is not valued as much by other organizations.

You have to remember our farm system is bottom 3, even not the worst in all of baseball.

If you can get a guy like jackson straight up for hudson, you do it.

qft.

RealFan
07-30-2010, 10:44 AM
So who pitches tonight if Hudson is indeed traded? I don't think Jackson can get here fast enough and pass a physical in time to take the mound.

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 10:45 AM
So who pitches tonight if Hudson is indeed traded? I don't think Jackson can get here fast enough and pass a physical in time to take the mound.

probably Pena

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 10:46 AM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/383508590/2879639_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/cst_sox) cst_sox (http://twitter.com/cst_sox)
Hold off on the Jackson trade folks, KW has something big cooking and if he gets it done Jackson trade is off.

Please ^ this.

sox1970
07-30-2010, 10:47 AM

Probably bullpen by committee. Jackson started a couple days ago, so it wouldn't be him. I imagine it would be Pena starting unless they go to the minors and bring up Lucas Harrell who is scheduled to start tonight in Louisville, KY.

doublem23
So if he is flipped where would we find a 5th starter? If you need a Hudson type talent to get Ed Jackson, what would the Sox have to give up to get a #4 or 5? Obviously there is more going on than we know, but it doesn't make sense thusfar.

If they keep Jackson, where's your fifth starter?

Sockinchisox
Cowley says KW has "something big cooking" and if it pans out, Jackson trade would be off.

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/19914514798

hawkjt
07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I will let the dust settle before passing judgement on any moves,but I am concerned about the Sox starting pitching and hope it is addressed before the offense. Jackson's WAR is 1.9 which puts him around #50 in MLB...not horrible. But I noted that Gio Gonzalez and Clay Richards are right around the same level....darn you Swisher!!! Of course, now Swisher has very high WAR also...double darn you,Swisher!!

I just hope the Sox do not end up with Torres as the 5th starter going into this last two months. Especially if Dunn is just a two month rental.
If Dunn is going to re-sign with the Sox...maybe.

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 10:52 AM
I told myself to never get excited about anything Cowley says, but I can't help myself. I hate E. Jackson that much.

doublem23
Hudson may be one of our organization's top prospects, but he is not valued as much by other organizations.

What Bizzaro World do you live in that Edwin Jackson is still a commodity to be had? It's not 2003 any more, he's not a 20-year-old with a blistering fastball, he's a waste of talent whose going to get paid $9 M next season. How long can this guy still be called a prospect? He's 26 and has more starts and innings under his belt than Danks or Floyd.

I'm not adverse to flipping Hudson. Far be it from me to think a Sox prospect will pan out. But Edwin Jackson? ****. That. If this is KW's big move, then he's essentially running the white flag up the flagpole in hopes that Cooper will be able to turn Jackson around for 2011.

Hitmen77
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but the trade rumor is now on mlb.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100730&content_id=12802720&vkey=tradedeadline2010&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

:scratch: But we should overrate Arizona's players instead. Jackson isn't very good.

....and if this goes down as a straight up trade without any salary relief (or any subsequent deals), wait until the offseason when the Sox say they're at their payroll limit and can't add any more pieces to this team.

RockJock07
Cowley says KW has "something big cooking" and if it pans out, Jackson trade would be off.

*** is something big mean?

sox1970
07-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Double rainbow...what does this mean? :whiner:

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 10:55 AM

Well its good to know that if our pending deal exchanging Pujols for Hudson goes off we will scuttle the E-Jax trade.

thedudeabides
Double rainbow...what does this mean? :whiner:

:rolling:

TheOldRoman

Stop overrating your own players.That isn't true at all. Hudson is one of the better pitching prospects in baseball. He isn't a top-top prospect, but he would be near the top of his team's list no matter which franchise he was with. He is a good prospect and any team would want him at this point. Don't let a percieved lack of depth fool you. Hudson is regarded as a good prospect.

Hitmen77
07-30-2010, 10:57 AM

probably Pena

...or they might not announce the trade (if it is indeed going to happen) until after today's game.

ilsox7
07-30-2010, 10:58 AM
pgammo

Nats not that hot for Edwin jackson
1 minute ago via web

illinibk
Berkman? Josh Johnson?

doublem23
That isn't true at all. Hudson is one of the better pitching prospects in baseball. He isn't a top-top prospect, but he would be near the top of his team's list no matter which franchise he was with. He is a good prospect and any team would want him at this point. Don't let a percieved lack of depth fool you. Hudson is regarded as a good prospect.

That might be kind of a reach. I think you're confusing "MLB-ready" with "top prospect."

You could drop Hudson into just about any starting rotation today and let him sink or swim, but his ceiling (as well as floor) are much lower than quite a number of guys. Hell, Hudson's probably not even the #1 pitching prospect in our organization.

TheOldRoman
07-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Yawn to Cowley's tweet. This clown slept sucking his thumb all night while it was reported that the Sox wer going after Jackson. Then this morning he tweets that "his source" told him the Sox were in on Jackson? No ****, jackass. Maybe you should have checked the message boards you make fun of 8 hours ago.

Cowley knows next to nothing here.

ilsox7
07-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Ken_Rosenthal

Source: Dunn still in play for #WhiteSox, poss 3-way with #D-backs, Jackson would go to #Nationals - or if deal fails, end up (more) #MLB

Ken_Rosenthal

with #WhiteSox. Deal in #Nationals' hands. #WhiteSox's Hudson ends up with #Diamondbacks either way. Highly unlikely to start tonight. #MLB

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Yawn to Cowley's tweet. This clown slept sucking his thumb all night while it was reported that the Sox wer going after Jackson. Then this morning he tweets that "his source" told him the Sox were in on Jackson? No ****, jackass. Maybe you should have checked the message boards you make fun of 8 hours ago.

He posted the EJ stuff at 5am.

Baron
07-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Ken Rosenthal says that Hudson is highly unlikely to start tonight

dickallen15
07-30-2010, 11:03 AM

Agree. This is a tweet anyone with no information can post.

beasly213
07-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I love the Trade Deadline. I love Following all these rumors. :bandance:

Baron
07-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I gotta say when Kenny is the GM the trade deadline is never boring

TheOldRoman
07-30-2010, 11:04 AM
He posted the EJ stuff at 5am.Ok, so it was being reported by other legitimate outlets for a whole 5 hours before Cowley took off his footy pajamas and turned off his Skeletor nightlight. It doesn't make him look good.

It is like my mom calling me at 10 p.m. on July 31, 2008 and saying "Did you hear the Sox got Ken Griffey?"

beasly213
07-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Ok, so it was being reported by other legitimate outlets for a whole 5 hours before Cowley took off his footy pajamas and turned off his Skeletor nightlight. It doesn't make him look good.

:kneeslap:

UofCSoxFan
Looking at the schedule, I think we may be overrating our need for a fifth starter. We have a ton of off days the next two months and by my quick calculations (so I could be wrong) after today, we would only need to use a fifth starter 7 times for guys to stay on their normal rest, and 3 of those times are in the first 14 days of August. The 7th time would be the last week of the season, and I think we would send Danks or Buerhles out on short rest if those games still mattered.

I'm not a huge advocate of going full 4 man rotation, but with all these off days, the opportunity to skip Hudson/Torres/Edwin Jackson is definitely there.

sox102
twitter needs to go away

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Ok, so it was being reported by other legitimate outlets for a whole 5 hours before Cowley took off his footy pajamas and turned off his Skeletor nightlight. It doesn't make him look good.

I hate Cowley as much as the next Sox fan but do you expect him to stay up all night and listen to rumors?

whitesoxfan
Feels like last year when Richard had his start scratched after the Peavy deal. Carrasco did a pretty good job against the Yankees, if I remember right.

Here's hoping Tony Pena gets it done tonight!

DirtySox
#mlb (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlb) # If deal gets done, the White Sox would send Daniel Hudson and prospect for Jackson,and take on Jackson's entire $8.75 million salary 11 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/19915247591) via web

Yuck.

whitesoxfan
Looking at the schedule, I think we may be overrating our need for a fifth starter. We have a ton of off days the next two months and by my quick calculations (so I could be wrong) after today, we would only need to use a fifth starter 7 times for guys to stay on their normal rest, and 3 of those times are in the first 14 days of August. The 7th time would be the last week of the season, and I think we would send Danks or Buerhles out on short rest if those games still mattered.

I'm not a huge advocate of going full 4 man rotation, but with all these off days, the opportunity to skip Hudson/Torres/Edwin Jackson is definitely there.

You're not skipping Edwin Jackson if you acquire him.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 11:08 AM

It is like my mom calling me at 10 p.m. on July 31, 2008 and saying "Did you hear the Sox got Ken Griffey?"

In all fairness, Cowely is too busy trying to figure out how not to be thrown out by 20 feet everytime he tries to steal on AJ.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 11:08 AM
You're not skipping Edwin Jackson if you acquire him.

Which is my point. You don't need to acquire a fifth starter. Our gaping hole at DH, which shows up 5 times a game 6 days a week is more pressing.

ilsox7
07-30-2010, 11:09 AM
twitter needs to go away

Why? This is actually one of the best uses of Twitter. We get to hear news as it is happening. You just have to choose who you think is reputable. Cowley is not.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Feels like last year when Richard had his start scratched after the Peavy deal. Carrasco did a pretty good job against the Yankees, if I remember right.

I think I went to that game. The Sox won but it was like an 11-8 game that lasted forever. I want to say Sergio Mitre pitched for the Yanks. Definitely a pitching matchup I'll tell my kids about some day.

Coops4Aces

I was at the game. It was against the Yankees and Carrasco sucked. Luckily, Sergio Mitre was worse and the Sox won.

whitesoxfan
Which is my point. You don't need to acquire a fifth starter. Our gaping hole at DH, which shows up 5 times a game 6 days a week is more pressing.

Well yeah, I don't disagree with you one bit.

sox102
07-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Why? This is actually one of the best uses of Twitter. We get to hear news as it is happening. You just have to choose who you think is reputable. Cowley is not.

That's the problem. Anyone can "tweet" anything they want. People believe anything on the internet these days.

Corlose 15
This is the most important thing about this deal if it happens. They have seen Jackson up close at almost every stage of his career between spring training with the Dodgers and D-Backs and him pitching in the AL. If Coop thinks he can work with him and harness his talent, than it's worth it. He has gotten a pretty good look at Hudson and he might think he can get a lot more out of Jackson than Hudson.

I think it's also telling of what the Sox really think about Hudson. They seem willing to include him in just about every deal.

If there is one area that should be trusted on the White Sox management team, it is their ability to not only accurataly evaluate their own young pitching talent, but to identify other pitchers they can get a lot out of.

The price tag is high, more in dollar amounts than anything, but I think after this trade the Sox are a better club this year and that's the most important thing.

I don't really see this. Jackson was traded to TB before the Sox started training with the Dodgers and the Sox stopped training with the D'Backs before Jackson was traded there.

They probably haven't seen any more of him than Haren, or anyone other pitcher who has pitched in the American League.

kevingrt

I'm thinking Carlos Torres is on a plane right now stretching in Coach Class.

VenturaFan23
07-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I gotta say when Kenny is the GM the trade deadline is never boring

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/2407385757_00a338def3.jpg

"Everytime Kenny shows up, something exciting happens!"

LITTLE NELL
I'd rather take my chances with Hudson.

Balfanman

Someone, somewhere has posted that our starters ERA is over a full run better with 5 days rest versus normal 4 days rest. I fear what it would be on 3 days rest.

Not to mention that your staff would be totally shot if you did get in the playoffs.

TheOldRoman
07-30-2010, 11:14 AM
I hate Cowley as much as the next Sox fan but do you expect him to stay up all night and listen to rumors?He could say something like "multiple sources reporting... my source backed it up, etc." It is made even worse because Cowley is a huge dick who is lazy at his job and bitter about being scooped by message boards and such. He trumpets his sources but routinely comes in well after other reports saying "THIS JUST IN!" We all fondly remember him telling us on at least two separate occassions that Juan Uribe had for certain been cut/traded in the spring of 2008.

If he wants credibility he better be online reporting this when it breaks. And it isn't like this came out at 4 in the morning and he waited until 6 to tweet it. This came out before midnight. So his source (mlbtraderumors.net) told him the Sox were looking at Jackson. Stop the presses!

ilsox7
07-30-2010, 11:15 AM
That's the problem. Anyone can "tweet" anything they want. People believe anything on the internet these days.

This is why you decide for yourself who to follow/believe. I would never post a Cowley Tweet here. Guys like Rosenthal and Gammons, though, I trust. They have real sources, IMO.

dickallen15
07-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Here's one of Cowley's tweets:

Hold off on the Jackson trade folks, KW has something big cooking and if he gets it done Jackson trade is off. 27 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/19914514798) via API (http://dev.twitter.com/)

and another one 17 minutes later.

Jackson-Hudson deal is not off, it's just being delayed while KW tries to shock the world. Hudson for Jackson might still happen either way. 10 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/19915784371) via web

Doesn't he contradict himself? He's a dope.

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Oh good, an I hate Cowley thread has emerged.

Coops4Aces
He could say something like "multiple sources reporting... my source backed it up, etc." It is made even worse because Cowley is a huge dick who is lazy at his job and bitter about being scooped by message boards and such. He trumpets his sources but routinely comes in well after other reports saying "THIS JUST IN!" We all fondly remember him telling us on at least two separate occassions that Juan Uribe had for certain been cut/traded in the spring of 2008.

If he wants credibility he better be online reporting this when it breaks. And it isn't like this came out at 4 in the morning and he waited until 6 to tweet it. This came out before midnight. So his source (mlbtraderumors.net) told him the Sox were looking at Jackson. Stop the presses!

Sounds like you have some pent up anger towards Cowley. :tongue:

UofCSoxFan
Someone, somewhere has posted that our starters ERA is over a full run better with 5 days rest versus normal 4 days rest. I fear what it would be on 3 days rest.

Not to mention that your staff would be totally shot if you did get in the playoffs.

I agree on the 3 days rest part which is why I said we would need a fifth starter 6 times (assuming again we go four man of the last week, assuming those games count). With the off days in the schedule, we could go 4 man and still give them their standard 4 days off.

I'd like to see the comparison of 5 days off vs. 4 days off if you could link to it. That makes sense intuitively, but at the same time, we had more off days at the beginning of the year and the starters ERA was worse so I'm not sure I buy it.

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 11:18 AM

Hold off on the Jackson trade folks, KW has something big cooking and if he gets it done Jackson trade is off. 27 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/19914514798) via API (http://dev.twitter.com/)

Jackson-Hudson deal is not off, it's just being delayed while KW tries to shock the world. Hudson for Jackson might still happen either way. 10 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/19915784371) via web

Contradict himself? No he says the same thing twice.

SephClone89
07-30-2010, 11:20 AM

I don't like Cowley, but that is not a contradiction at all.

EDIT: I see what you mean now. He says that if the "big" move gets done the Jackson deal is OFF, then later says that it "might still happen either way." Make up your damn mind.

TheOldRoman

Doesn't he contradict himself? He's a dope.And knowning Kenny as we all do, no ****. If we read "Kenny trying to make a huge trade which will change the face of MLB for the next decade!!" we would say "wake me up when it happens". This isn't Ron Schueler we are talking about here. We know Kenny is a gambler, always looking to make trades. Cowley could make up "KW looking to do something HUGE" and we would all believe it. Even the biggest KW hater on here knows he is trying to do something huge right now. It's what he does. Even if there is a particular huge trade Kenny is working on right now, that doesn't mean it has even a remote possibility of going down.

dickallen15
Contradict himself? No he says the same thing twice.
No he said if the trade went down, the Jackson trade was off. Then he says it might happen either way.

I wonder if there is any chance Seattle would unload Ichiro?

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 11:21 AM
cst_sox (http://twitter.com/cst_sox)
Here's what I've just been told - "If [KW] pulls this off, the Sox will be considerably better by tonight.''

Now that tweet is garbage.

Baron
No he said if the trade went down, the Jackson trade was off. Then he says it might happen either way.

Uhhhhhh why?:scratch:

dickallen15
And knowning Kenny as we all do, no ****. If we read "Kenny trying to make a huge trade which will change the face of MLB for the next decade!!" we would say "wake me up when it happens". This isn't Ron Schueler we are talking about here. We know Kenny is a gambler, always looking to make trades. Cowley could make up "KW looking to do something HUGE" and we would all believe it. Even the biggest KW hater on here knows he is trying to do something huge right now. It's what he does. Even if there is a particular huge trade Kenny is working on right now, that doesn't mean it has even a remote possibility of going down.

That's exactly right. Cowley has added no insight with his tweets. I could have given anyone the exact same stuff.

TheOldRoman
07-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Sounds like you have some pent up anger towards Cowley. :tongue:I think he is a clown. It is funny to me that he busts through the doors yelling "stop the presses" 5 hours after we knew about his rumor. And from the bitterness and pettiness Joe spills in his articles, he is an easy person to dislike. But that is the last thing I will say about Cowley here.

dickallen15
07-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Uhhhhhh why?:scratch:

If Ichiro came to the Sox, the OF defense would be tremendous, and Pierre wouldn't be leading off anymore.

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 11:23 AM
I have a feeling the bigger trade is for Prince Fielder.

hoosiersoxfan
07-30-2010, 11:25 AM

Yeah I think I would crap my pants if the Sox got Ichiro. Why would Seattle trade him though? He's the one guy other than possibly King Felix that brings people to the ballpark for them.

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 11:25 AM
I have a feeling the bigger trade is for Prince Fielder.

Sox entire trade-able farm system for Prince?

harwar
07-30-2010, 11:26 AM
if the Jackson deal goes down i wonder if we'll ever get to hear what the "shock the world" trade might have been .. it's intriguing and exciting to think about who it might be ..

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Sox entire trade-able farm system for Prince?

I think Viciedo will be part of the package along with Hudson

Sockinchisox
07-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Dunn, Jackson three-way deal still a possibility (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chicago-white-sox-trade-adam-dunn-edwin-jackson-073010)

PalehosePlanet
07-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Whatever trade, if any, goes down, I hope KW does it with more than just the here-and-now in mind. Losing Hudson, plus whomever else, would really suck if it's for someone who walks at the end of the year.

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I hate mainstream media

Gammons tweets that the Nats are not so hot for Jackson. A few mins later Heyman tweets how much the Nats love Jackson.

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 11:28 AM

You're right, he does contradict himself. I guess I can't read :redface:

WhiteSox1989
07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
I think Viciedo will be part of the package along with Hudson
I'd rather not see Viciedo get traded.

harwar
07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Cowley 10 min ago .. "Here's what I've just been told - "If [KW] pulls this off, the Sox will be considerably better by tonight"

Hitmen77
07-30-2010, 11:30 AM
#mlb (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlb) # If deal gets done, the White Sox would send Daniel Hudson and prospect for Jackson,and take on Jackson's entire $8.75 million salary 11 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/19915247591) via web

Yuck.

Yuck indeed. We'll see what unfolds, but this sounds like a great deal for Arizona - they get to totally unload a bad contract and get a decent pitching prospect who rose quickly through the minors.

cst_sox (http://twitter.com/cst_sox)
Here's what I've just been told - "If [KW] pulls this off, the Sox will be considerably better by tonight.''

Now that tweet is garbage.

He's "just been told" by who? By his neighbor? By Hawk Harrelson?

SephClone89
Cowley 10 min ago .. "Here's what I've just been told - "If [KW] pulls this off, the Sox will be considerably better by tonight"

Posted ten mins ago as well.:tongue:

Sockinchisox
I hate mainstream media

Gammons tweets that the Nats are not so hot for Jackson. A few mins later Heyman tweets how much the Nats love Jackson.

I've always been under the impression that Heyman goes off what other writers say. He reports the same deals that others writers report hours before him.

DSpivack
07-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah I think I would crap my pants if the Sox got Ichiro. Why would Seattle trade him though? He's the one guy other than possibly King Felix that brings people to the ballpark for them.

I think Ichiro is about as untouchable as any player in baseball.

dickallen15
He'll be 37 in October. He's signed through 2012 at huge money. Seattle looks like they might be bad for a while. I don't know if he has a no trade, but if he doesn't he gets an automatic after this season. If they think they need to rebuild, trading him may make some sense.

I'm pretty sure Cowley's stories are for the most part to see his name on the various message boards and websites, but if KW truly was looking to shock, that would be a shocker.

I personally feel its highly unlikely Jackson or Dunn or Fielder are White Sox by tomorrow. When info gets out, the Sox usually don't get that player. I do think they will get someone though.

PaleHoser
I'd rather keep Hudson than trade for Edwin Jackson.

I also would have rather kept Brandon McCarthy than trade him for two unknowns.

In KW I Trust.

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Yuck indeed. We'll see what unfolds, but this sounds like a great deal for Arizona - they get to totally unload a bad contract and get a decent pitching prospect who rose quickly through the minors.

He's "just been told" by who? By his neighbor? By Hawk Harrelson?

Even Keith Law thinks it would be stupid to trade Hudson for Jackson.

keithlaw (http://twitter.com/keithlaw)
I've never been a big Dan Hudson guy, but I'd rather have him at $400K than Edwin Jackson at $toomuch #trades (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23trades) about 3 hours ago (http://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/19906433830) via web

Huisj
07-30-2010, 11:32 AM
If Hudson goes in a deal for Jackson, and then Jackson went somewhere for Dunn (seems unlikely, but the rumor is still floating around somewhere), who becomes the 5th starter? And who pitches tonight in place of Hudson if any of this goes down?

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 11:33 AM
If Hudson goes in a deal for Jackson, and then Jackson went somewhere for Dunn (seems unlikely, but the rumor is still floating around somewhere), who becomes the 5th starter? And who pitches tonight in place of Hudson if any of this goes down?

Harrell possibly.

Rockabilly
07-30-2010, 11:33 AM

I've never been a big Dan Hudson guy, but I'd rather have him at $400K than Edwin Jackson at $toomuch #trades (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23trades) about 3 hours ago (http://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/19906433830) via web

who cares about Keith Law

ilsox7
07-30-2010, 11:34 AM

This may be the first time I have ever agreed with Keith Law.

DirtySox
who cares about Keith Law

Not many, but it is pretty telling when even he values Hudson > Jackson.

The Immigrant

Nobody gives a **** what Keith Law thinks.

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 11:35 AM

Good contribution.

russ99
Getting excited! I love it when Kenny has "something big cooking"... :D:

Just glad Bacon has been told he's staying put. I could live with anyone else on the roster being moved to some extent if the return is good enough.

PalehosePlanet
The suspense right now reminds of a few years ago when all of the sportswriters were reporting that we had acquired Alfonso Soriano before the trade deadline. I remember scouring the webs looking for confirmation for about 4 straight hours and nothing ever happened. Was it '06?

ndgt10
Ken_Rosenthal

Source: Dunn still in play for #WhiteSox, poss 3-way with #D-backs, Jackson would go to #Nationals - or if deal fails, end up (more) #MLB

Ken_Rosenthal

with #WhiteSox. Deal in #Nationals' hands. #WhiteSox's Hudson ends up with #Diamondbacks either way. Highly unlikely to start tonight. #MLBThese things are a pain in the ass to read.

sox1970

Keith Law and Joe Cowley really fire people up. :angry:

I have no problem with Cowley, but Law seems to have some beef with the Sox.

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 11:37 AM

It's telling alright. It tells me we should trade Hudson for Jackson NOW

DirtySox
Keith Law and Joe Cowley really fire people up. :angry:

I have no problem with Cowley, but Law seems to have some beef with the Sox.

I have no problem with either really. I do take Law with a grain of salt though. I am also amused at how worked up people get about the two.

Rockabilly
The Sox could get Lincecum and Cain and Keith Law would find a way to bash the Sox

Crede24Thome25
07-30-2010, 11:38 AM
If that is the case we would acquire Dunn without giving up Beckham or Viceido, which is pretty smart, considering what Rizzo was asking for Dunn at first. Todays starter it's the biggest mystery besides who will be headed to the south side.

DirtySouthsider
07-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Cowley is going to be on the Score in a couple of minutes.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Whatever trade, if any, goes down, I hope KW does it with more than just the here-and-now in mind. Losing Hudson, plus whomever else, would really suck if it's for someone who walks at the end of the year.

It would suck if they went "all in" and didn't win the title. If the win the World Series, I'm ok with taking a step back next year. It deifnitely is preferred having multiple bites at the apple.

The good news is, however, is that Hudson may not even be in the Sox plans next year. Losing him this year won't kill the Sox. It may hurt their rotation long-term, but you have time to address that hopefully.

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 11:40 AM
If Keith Law told me 2+2=4, I'd tell him he was full of ****.

harwar
i've give anything to know what's happening right now .. this is not good for my blood pressure ..

Rockabilly
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2010/07/17/20100717arizona-diamondbacks-edwin-jackson-pitch-count.html

I don't like how Jackson says that he wouldn't tell anyone when he is hurting

PalehosePlanet
07-30-2010, 11:41 AM

I don't think I've ever read any one positive thought of Law's regarding the Sox. Ever. I'd be willing to bet if the sides were reversed (i.e. we were about to trade Jackson for Hudson) he would be ripping us.

And trust me, I don't get into the whole "writers don't like us" type of bull****, but with Law it really seems that he has something personal versus the Sox.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 11:42 AM
The Sox could get Lincecum and Cain and Keith Law would find a way to bash the Sox

So true. On one hand many of his criticisms are fair (he ranked our farm team dead last...I think we may be a tad better than that, but still bad...although we have enough young ML guys that I think we'll be fine, but I digress), but on the other hand, he's pretty consistently down on our pitching staff, Alexei, Rios, and Beckham. I don't really get it.

SoxGirl4Life
07-30-2010, 11:42 AM
This is very exciting!

Baron
07-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Jackson does have a nasty slider though.....during that no hitter he was absolutely killing them with that.

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Cowley is going to be on the Score in a couple of minutes.

http://player.radio.com/player/RadioPlayer.php?version=1.1.9205&station=391

RockJock07
07-30-2010, 11:45 AM
"Something big" or "shock the world" would seem to suggest that this could include players that no one thought about before.

dickallen15
07-30-2010, 11:45 AM
If Keith Law told me 2+2=4, I'd tell him he was full of ****.

There's a reason why he was in baseball but now blogs on espn.

hi im skot
07-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm not going to get anything done at work today.

PalehosePlanet
07-30-2010, 11:46 AM
So true. On one hand many of his criticisms are fair (he ranked our farm team dead last...I think we may be a tad better than that, but still bad...although we have enough young ML guys that I think we'll be fine, but I digress), but on the other hand, he's pretty consistently down on our pitching staff, Alexei, Rios, and Beckham. I don't really get it.

Yeah, year in and year out he always has us 4-7 spots lower than all of the other publications. I really feel there is a grudge he's holding; but not sure versus whom.

kevingrt
07-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Cowley says on the radio that it is someone "off the radar"

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm not going to get anything done at work today.

Well this wasn't happening anyway for me. But this isn't helping.

Jason Stark just tweeted Edwin Jackson would be used as a trade piece. Still who knows.

Baron
07-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Manny Ramirez? That would be interesting

DirtySox
Nothing really worthwhile from Cowley in the interview. Just more speculation.

UofCSoxFan
Does Collowly actualy have a name and wants to protect his sources wishes or was he told vaguely, this will "shock the world."

kevingrt
Matt Speigal threw out two names out of nowhere: Manny Ramirez and Vernon Wells. Hilarious!

DaveIsHere
Manny Ramirez? Where is he at now anyway?

Randar68

Hanley Ramirez, come on down!

goon
Joba?

PalehosePlanet
07-30-2010, 11:51 AM

If this is true (humongous IF) then maybe it's not for an expiring contract type player. And/or maybe it involves us trading someone on our current roster not named Hudson or Viciedo.

harwar
07-30-2010, 11:51 AM
just throwing names around much like we do around here ..

Crede24Thome25
07-30-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm trying to think of players we don't think KW would go after, after reading a few tweets. Garret Jones, James Loney, Vernon Wells, Brian Roberts, Manny Ramirez, Jack Cust, Brett Myers. These are all names I'm hearing.

Sockinchisox
Brett Myers? (http://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/19919413870)

UofCSoxFan
If this is true (humongous IF) then maybe it's not for an expiring contract type player. And/or maybe it involves us trading someone on our current roster not named Hudson or Viciedo.

I was thinking the same thing.

DirtySox

Sort of want.

TheOldRoman
Cowley on the Score saying it is something huge, but he doesn't know who is is, whether it is a pitcher or hitter, or who would be involved. Other than the fact that Hudson won't be involved. Or maybe he will be. He doesn't know if it would be for one or more players, but says it likely is for someone we didn't even know was on the market.

Obviously that is EXTREMELY vague. We will have to see what happens.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 11:53 AM

While a solid pick up, I don't think that would shock the world.

PalehosePlanet
07-30-2010, 11:53 AM
just throwing names around much like we do around here ..

Except that our stupid ramblings remain anonymous.

Baron
07-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Myers and Dunn? Holy **** that would be amazing

Uncontested
I'm trying to think of players we don't think KW would go after, after reading a few tweets. Garret Jones, James Loney, Vernon Wells, Brian Roberts, Manny Ramirez, Jack Cust, Brett Myers. These are all names I'm hearing.

Why would we trade for a player on the DL? Someone on the DL would not make us 'instantly' or 'significantly' better.

And Vernon Wells has a massive contract.

Dodgers are not sellers, they just picked up Pods.

A little common sense here, please.

ilsox7
Cowley on the Score saying it is something huge, but he doesn't know who is is, whether it is a pitcher or hitter, or who would be involved. Other than the fact that Hudson won't be involved. Or maybe he will be. He doesn't know if it would be for one or more players, but says it likely is for someone we didn't even know was on the market.

In other news, it might rain today. Or it might not. It also may be 80 degrees out, however it could maybe get up to 90.

Rockabilly
my wish is Torii Hunter. The Sox defense would be so much better

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 11:55 AM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/190827556/jon_heyman_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman) SI_JonHeyman (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman)
#chisox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23chisox) have looked at brett myers, as nightengale said, chicago wants a hitter (dunn?) and pitcher 1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/19919611893) via web

Coops4Aces
670 says Lucas Harrell is pitching tonight

kevingrt
Matt Spiegal (now the leader in White Sox rumors just passing Joe Cowley) has said that Lucas Harrell is starting for the Sox tonight.

Crede24Thome25
Why would we trade for a player on the DL? Someone on the DL would not make us 'instantly' or 'significantly' better.

A little common sense here, please.
Don't ask me just naming suggestions of others, not like we haven't done it before though.

DirtySox

I figured.

/puke

UofCSoxFan

This reminds me of the Robin Williams stand up impersination of Donald Rumsfeld: "I don't know where, I don't know when...but something bad is going to happen."

Can't find a Youtube clip unfortunately.

munchman33
07-30-2010, 11:56 AM

That's as baseless as the idea he purposely rates our farmhands horrible (when a lot of other people do to). Plenty of people care what Keith Law thinks, many of them in the industry. This whole "if he was really good, he'd work for a team" crap people have against members of the media when they're negative is pretty ridiculous. Some people like the exposure and the job security that isn't there in a high turnover industry like MLB. Keith did the major league scout thing at one of it's highest levels. He's certainly more qualified than anyone here.

kevingrt
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/190827556/jon_heyman_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman) SI_JonHeyman (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman)
#chisox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23chisox) have looked at brett myers, as nightengale said, chicago wants a hitter (dunn?) and pitcher 1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/19919611893) via web

El Caballo!

Rockabilly

So we will have a some kind of Sox trade today. Hopefully its the bigger one

spawn
07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
In other news, it might rain today. Or it might not. It also may be 80 degrees out, however it could maybe get up to 90.

:rolling:

Baron
07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
El Caballo!

Now that trade would shock everyone......good pitching and a good LH bat.:bandance:

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Now that trade would shock everyone......good pitching and a good LH bat.:bandance:

El Caballo good? .239/.283/.399

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/leeca01.shtml

UofCSoxFan
Matt Spiegal (now the leader in White Sox rumors just passing Joe Cowley) has said that Lucas Harrell is starting for the Sox tonight.

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again today. Why the hell did Carlos Torres throw 75 pitches yesterday?

At this point even if Hudson isn't traded before 7:00 pm today you probalby don't want to start him and risk injury if a trade is as close as reported.

PalehosePlanet

Except that it's a RH bat.

seventyseven
I think it's Ichiro. No way does Seattle want to pay him $17M/year through 2012.

Baron
07-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Except that it's a RH bat.

Sorry I was talking about Adam Dunn

Rockabilly
I think it's Ichiro. No way does Seattle want to pay him $17M/year through 2012.

if your right.. This would be a dream come true

spawn

Carlos Lee is a righty.

Baron
07-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Carlos Lee is a righty.

Ya I know ....I was talking about Adam Dunn

chunk
07-30-2010, 12:01 PM

He makes them a lot more in marketing revenue.

Baron
Lucas Harrell.......is not good....

kevingrt

And Felix!!!

Uncontested
07-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Seattle would murder their head office if they got rid of Ichiro.

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 12:02 PM
He makes them a lot more in marketing revenue.

:scratch: Please explain