PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Sweeping the Mariners out to SEA' vs White Sox 7/29 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
07-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Freddy gets to 10 wins and the HR stampede continues.

HomeFish
07-29-2010, 10:54 PM

WhiteSox5187
Don't stop now!

october23sp
13 games over .500, season high watermark.

doublem23
kM7C_yNlCLU

The perils of Pauley...

thomas35forever
But we only swept a last place team. That's nothing to get excited abo...

Ah, **** it.

:supernana::bliss::sweep

Rockabilly
Great win tonight.. Lets payback the A's this weekend

chisox77
07-29-2010, 10:55 PM
The Sox train keeps rolling . . .

Coops4Aces
And now I root for Seattle...:D:

Pablo_Honey
All right, one West Coast team down, one more to go. Let's carry this momentum into the next series boys!

Boondock Saint
This is what the good teams do. :thumbsup:

DumpJerry
07-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Castro(l) oil

OmahaSoxFan

and Detroit fall to 6 games out...

Hopefully the Sox will ride this momentum into this weekend's series against an equally as hot Athletics team!!!

But in the meantime, nice job by the Sox to complete the FOUR GAME SWEEP!!! No matter who its against, that always sounds nice...

Let's keep it rolling!!!

sox1970
9-1 vs Seattle this year. That'll work.

Nelfox02
07-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Freddy not great tonight, but not awful either. The way he looked the first couple innings......a bit scared. But he settled down somewhat and did a good job getting thru 6 for us tonight.

Another nice game for Beckham at the plate, really good to see him doing what he is doing.....even taking a nice walk during our rally inning

swing heavy lumber

kept the Twinks 2 back in the loss column and throw another shovel full of dirt on the Tigers grave.......nice job boys

lets get some payback vs Oak

OmahaSoxFan
And now I root for Seattle...:D:

Maybe the M's can turn it up this weekend in Minneapolis, but something tells me the Sox needs to take care of the A's this weekend, because we aren't going to get much help from the team we just pasted with a 4-game sweep...

But you never know... just need the boys to take care of their own business this weekend... Huddy going tomorrow, I'm blindly optimistic they can get it done.

Huisj
Every time I hear Gordon Beckham talk I have to do a double take and make sure it's not Darrin Jackson talking. Weirdly similar sounding people.

october23sp
Even against a last place team you can't ask for a 4 game sweep. But I'll sure as hell take it.

soxinem1
07-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Castro(l) oil

I thought about that, but couldn't finish the PUNch line!:D:

Bob Roarman
07-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Stop the ****ing wave. Stop it. A great battle going on between Ichiro and Putz, going back and forth, fouling off multiple pitches before finally doubling off him (and going on to score) and the fans, well they were watching themselves again. What a bunch of bull****. If they would start to actually boo if that inning got any worse, I don't know, that's about as moronic as it can get.

soxinem1
07-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Stop the ****ing wave. Stop it. A great battle going on between Ichiro and Putz, going back and forth, fouling off multiple pitches before finally doubling off him (and going on to score) and the fans, well they were watching themselves again. What a bunch of bull****. If they would start to actually boo if that inning got any worse, I don't know, that's about as moronic as it can get.

The wave should be banned in any ballpark. It has nothing to do with the sport.

JB98
07-29-2010, 11:02 PM
10 wins for Garcia. I imagine there were some people who didn't think he would make it through 10 starts.

Seattle is bad, but a four-game sweep is still impressive. That's what the Sox need to do against second-division clubs. Early in the year, the Sox were losing to the Clevelands and Kansas Citys of the world. You gotta take advantage of these bad clubs.

Zakath
07-29-2010, 11:03 PM
This is what the good teams do. :thumbsup:

Exactly. Beat teams that you're better than, and beat them consistently.

soxinem1
07-29-2010, 11:04 PM
and Detroit fall to 6 games out...

Hopefully the Sox will ride this momentum into this weekend's series against an equally as hot Athletics team!!!

But in the meantime, nice job by the Sox to complete the FOUR GAME SWEEP!!! No matter who its against, that always sounds nice...

Let's keep it rolling!!!

Whille we have to play one game at a time, once series at a time, I cannot help but think of next week's four-gamer against DET.

We have to bury them in that series.

RadioheadRocks
07-29-2010, 11:04 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again... 1987 called, it wants its Wave back.

LoveYourSuit
07-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Man, I love the Sox at home!

Something about HRs, I love them!

LoveYourSuit
07-29-2010, 11:06 PM
10 wins for Garcia. I imagine there were some people who didn't think he would make it through 10 starts.

Seattle is bad, but a four-game sweep is still impressive. That's what the Sox need to do against second-division clubs. Early in the year, the Sox were losing to the Clevelands and Kansas Citys of the world. You gotta take advantage of these bad clubs.

I still feel very itchy when he's pitching.

We need a #4 to push him back to #5.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Let's see. We've got the Cuban Missile firing at full thrust. Viciedo is the tank. Can we call Castro "El Dictador?" :D:

In all seriousness, maybe Castro needs to play a little more and AJ needs to rest a little more.

I think it would stabilize the lineup if we just had the catcher spot hit eighth:

Pierre
Vizquel
Rios
Paulie
TCQ
Kotsay / Jones (unless and until we get a real hitter)
Alexei
AJ / Castro
Beckham

07-29-2010, 11:13 PM
I still feel very itchy when he's pitching.

We need a #4 to push him back to #5.

I agree. Ted Lilly or Shawn Marcum please.

LongLiveFisk
07-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Did those back-to-back bombs by Paulie and Carlos land in the same spot or what? :o::D:

Awesome! Keep it going, guys! :bandance:

Coops4Aces
07-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Let's see. We've got the Cuban Missile firing at full thrust. Viciedo is the tank. Can we call Castro "El Dictador?" :D:

Maybe if Castro wasn't from Puerto Rico :tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Maybe if Castro wasn't from Puerto Rico :tongue:

Oh, I know that. I was just trying to be cute... :tongue:

stevied23
07-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Take care of the A's and let the Mariners come in to Minny and take 2 of 3 and I'll be a happy camper.

russ99
07-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Great job by the hitters to pick up the pitchers in an iffy outing by Freddy.

Sweep! Now let's squish those pesky A's. :D:

Streets
07-29-2010, 11:24 PM
I have to agree with giving Castro some more playing time. AJ is just not cutting it at the plate and maybe he needs some motivation like Bobby did.

ghostface36
07-29-2010, 11:26 PM
how far do you think that Q homer flied?

Coops4Aces
07-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Great job by the hitters to pick up the pitchers in an iffy outing by Freddy.

Sweep! Now let's squish those pesky A's. :D:

Hey, don't know if you saw it in the gamethread, but I'm sorry for telling you to shut up earlier. I shouldn't have said that, it was disrespectful.

SOXSINCE'70
07-29-2010, 11:34 PM

Thank you!!!!!!:thumbsup::yup::worship::tiphat:

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2010, 11:36 PM
When was the last time a Sox team completed TWO four-game sweeps in the same season?

voodoochile
07-29-2010, 11:37 PM
13 games over .500, season high watermark.

This is the news of the night I think. Well that and Linebrink just retired the side in order for the second straight time. Given the way Threets is performing the Sox bullpen is seriously deep at the moment. Though I know people still freak out over Linebrink he actually appears to be getting it together a bit and that's just fine. Now if we can just get that Putz character to stop giving up runs... :D:

Great power and Freddie goes 6. What more is there to say...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :bandance:

ghostface36
07-29-2010, 11:39 PM
it should go
aj catches for danks floyd and buehrle, castro catching for garcia and hudson/trade acquired starter as danks floyd and buehrle are comfortable with aj behind the plate so we need to suffer through his constant 0-4 nights at the plate so can get those shutouts and 1ER games out of danks n gavin

Saracen
07-29-2010, 11:39 PM
This is a damn good team.

Gavin
07-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Freddy has been amazing, but his 10 wins/whatever # of "quality starts" are both bogus stats. A 4.75 ERA indicates he's bombed around 4 or 5 games. It's OK to sometimes bomb games as a #5 while still winning 65% of the others... but now, as a #4, it puts a lot of pressure on the top three to go out there and go long (and win).

Get an arm, KW.

sox1970
07-29-2010, 11:56 PM
I like Rongey, but he is such an apologist for the Sox sometimes. I understand that he works for them, but when you are a radio broadcaster it's alright to step out every once in a blue moon..... Mmmmm Blue Moon... be right back.

When Viciedo got called up, Rongey said if he was up, he's got to play. And then he sat for a couple days, and you never heard him say it again.

GoGoCrede
07-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Just got home! Great night, perfect weather...I wasn't even worried when it was 2-0. I think it's now seven or eight wins in a row that I've been to attend.

A sweep feels damn good. Just keep taking care of business, and we won't need to constantly scoreboard-watch.

The wave has got to go.

Hitmen77
07-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Glad to see a 2 for 4 night from Quentin with a huge bomb of a HR. If the Sox are going to take this division, we need him to be swinging a hot bat.

Now, I hope the Mariners are angry and are really to take out their frustrations on the Twins (.....don't count on it)

JB98
07-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Freddy has been amazing, but his 10 wins/whatever # of "quality starts" are both bogus stats. A 4.75 ERA indicates he's bombed around 4 or 5 games. It's OK to sometimes bomb games as a #5 while still winning 65% of the others... but now, as a #4, it puts a lot of pressure on the top three to go out there and go long (and win).

Get an arm, KW.

He has been bombed exactly three times, April 15 vs. Toronto, May 23 vs. Florida and July 24 vs Oakland.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?n1=garcifr03&t=p&year=2010

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2010, 12:21 AM
It was also great to see Castro making his presence known...Both were no-doubters...It's great that we're getting offense from pretty much everyone.

GoGoCrede
07-30-2010, 12:22 AM
It was also great to see Castro making his presence known...Both were no-doubters...It's great that we're getting offense from pretty much everyone.

The drunk douchebags sitting behind me kept calling him AJ. :rolleyes: That is, when they weren't making homophobic jokes.

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2010, 12:27 AM
The drunk douchebags sitting behind me kept calling him AJ. :rolleyes: That is, when they weren't making homophobic jokes.
OMG, that's horrible! You can be sitting in Section 507, Row 21, and it's STILL easy to tell the two of them apart by just looking at their stances...Did you say anything to them?

GoGoCrede
07-30-2010, 12:29 AM
OMG, that's horrible! You can be sitting in Section 507, Row 21, and it's STILL easy to tell the two of them apart by just looking at their stances...Did you say anything to them?

No, because the last time I tried correcting somebody, they got all bitchy and wouldn't leave me or my friend alone for the rest of the game. If they want to sound dumb, hey, that's their business.

Coops4Aces
07-30-2010, 12:35 AM
No, because the last time I tried correcting somebody, they got all bitchy and wouldn't leave me or my friend alone for the rest of the game. If they want to sound dumb, hey, that's their business.

AJ vs Castro isn't too big of a deal. But I would have report them via text for their "jokes"

GoGoCrede
07-30-2010, 12:42 AM
AJ vs Castro isn't too big of a deal. But I would have report them via text for their "jokes"

One of the Fan Reps was there, and she didn't say anything. I wasn't sure what to do. Has anyone else reported people for language like that? What happeened?

Gavin
07-30-2010, 12:54 AM
He has been bombed exactly three times, April 15 vs. Toronto, May 23 vs. Florida and July 24 vs Oakland.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?n1=garcifr03&t=p&year=2010

He's also exceeded 100 pitches exactly three times this season. He's never pitched past the 7th inning. He's never not given up a run. Why do you think that is? I'm not saying he's not a real starting pitcher, but he just doesn't have what it takes anymore to shut down an offense or to go the distance.

I'm campaigning for another starting pitcher pretty hard.

Dibbs
07-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Wonderful game. Everything went perfect...(pause)....except Kotsay. Well, he was perfect in the 0 for 4 type of way. He was in no danger of getting a hit tonight.

WhiteSox1989
07-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Wonderful game. Everything went perfect...(pause)....except Kotsay. Well, he was perfect in the 0 for 4 type of way. He was in no danger of getting a hit tonight.
And except for the wave. Brutal.

Gavin
07-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Oh my God, people doing the wave.

Lighten up, francises.

hawkjt
07-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Freddy has been the most consistent pitcher all year long. 14 quality starts in 19 starts. Going 6 innings with 3 runs pencils out to a 4.50 ERA and that is where he is. The team believes in him,and hits for him,especially his catcher,Ramon Castro. Freddy is a nice change of pace pitcher when we had Peavy,Danks and Floyd all throwing heat.

I also hope they get a starter as insurance against Hudson tho.

Ozzie said after the game he will probably give AJ another day of rest this weekend vs the A's...because we face 3 lefties and Ramon is forcing his way into the lineup. I agree that he should be playing 2 of every 5 games at this point. He is raking too hard to sit when AJ is this bad at the plate.

A's are hot,and throwing three leftys,Anderson(first start in a couple of months but good numbers),Braden(just shut us down) and Gio.
Will Ozzie go with Dayan at third or go with Omar? Could DH Carlos and let Andruw play right field...I think Dayan sits at least 1 game..maybe two. Omar is too hot to sit all weekend.

slavko
07-30-2010, 01:16 AM
This is the news of the night I think. Well that and Linebrink just retired the side in order for the second straight time. Given the way Threets is performing the Sox bullpen is seriously deep at the moment. Though I know people still freak out over Linebrink he actually appears to be getting it together a bit and that's just fine. Now if we can just get that Putz character to stop giving up runs... :D:

Great power and Freddie goes 6. What more is there to say...

Same stuff (Liney), the difference has to be in the location. He actually looks useful. Hmmm...Trade bait?

Oh my God, people doing the wave.

Lighten up, francises.

Much as I hate it, I fear it's here to stay.

soxlady8
07-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Fantastic Fantastic Fantastic Game !

The weather was awesome and I had a really great seat.

I was a wee bit worried right when Freddy started , but the Sox did not waste anytime getting up on the board.

Omar is incredible to watch in person and I was glad to see Bacon turning things up.

Kotsay seems to be a nice guy, but he is so lethargic at the plate :(

Castro was the man and the bomb that TCQ hit was huge !

Not a fan of the wave, but I must admit it was going good for like 4 rounds. I do not get up , I just kinda pretend to wave my hands up.

Had fun trying to get autographs by the player's lot after the game but there were just too many people and nobody stopped. There were people harassing them on 35th near the Ryan , but I couldn't do it.

I had to escape my life for a few hours and it was so worth it.

Now back to ripping up moldy carpet in the morning...

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2010, 01:20 AM
He's also exceeded 100 pitches exactly three times this season. He's never pitched past the 7th inning. He's never not given up a run. Why do you think that is? I'm not saying he's not a real starting pitcher, but he just doesn't have what it takes anymore to shut down an offense or to go the distance.

I'm campaigning for another starting pitcher pretty hard.
I do not get why a bunch of the "talking heads" want another bat when we're without Peavy for probably the rest of the season.

VMSNS
07-30-2010, 01:42 AM
Carlos' HR was an absolute BOMB. I was drinking some water when he hit it, and almost sprayed water all over the TV.

Great game. This team can be scary good at times.

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2010, 02:16 AM
Isn't it great to be back to where we can be watching a game where the Sox are behind early, and be confident that they can come back?

it should go
aj catches for danks floyd and buehrle, castro catching for garcia and hudson/trade acquired starter as danks floyd and buehrle are comfortable with aj behind the plate so we need to suffer through his constant 0-4 nights at the plate so can get those shutouts and 1ER games out of danks n gavinDude, seriously, you need to use capital letters and some punctuation. Reading this gives me vertigo.

Crooked Number
07-30-2010, 02:34 AM

Been a WSI "reader only" for a long time, but i was compelled to finally post after reading this. I was at the game tonight and got into a "tiff" with some fans in front of me over the wave that was occurring. They overheard me and my buddy vehemently opposing it, and how it should never be done in a close game. They turned around and said "what, you guys are against FUN?".

The White Sox are in first place, and in a pennant chase. It was absolutely embarrassing, and i agree whole heartedly with the quoted poster.

Great game to be at, perfect weather. Go WhiteSox.

No more wave in 2010.

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Been a WSI "reader only" for a long time, but i was compelled to finally post after reading this. I was at the game tonight and got into a "tiff" with some fans in front of me over the wave that was occurring. They overheard me and my buddy vehemently opposing it, and how it should never be done in a close game. They turned around and said "what, you guys are against FUN?".

The White Sox are in first place, and in a pennant chase. It was absolutely embarrassing, and i agree whole heartedly with the quoted poster.

Great game to be at, perfect weather. Go WhiteSox.

No more wave in 2010.Oh, yeah, jumping up with your hands over your head and saying "woo" is loads of fun.

By the way, :welcome:

voodoochile
07-30-2010, 03:56 AM
Oh, yeah, jumping up with your hands over your head and saying "woo" is loads of fun.

People say Woo? Who knew... :dunno:

I remember being against the wave back in the old ballpark. Every time it started when I was there it seemed the Sox would start losing or at least giving back the lead. I'm trying to watch a game that's getting tense and the guys in the front row of the section are turned toward the crowd trying to get them going. With great effort there are a few times a select group of at least forced a different section to start the cursed thing.

I prefer to do the anti-wave when it starts. Stand up and when the "wave" gets to you, sit down then when it passes, stand back up again. People were telling us to stop blocking the view. Wasn't gonna happen...

Gavin
07-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I wonder how much money the White Sox would make if they only allowed serious-business folks into the ballpark. That would, for sure, end the wave.

Zakath
07-30-2010, 09:08 AM

Do they think winning 11 in a row and 17 of your last 18 at home isn't fun enough that they need to add the wave?

October26
07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I was excited to see Castro get two home runs in that game last night. Two home runs for the backup catcher in one game ?!? YES, that is really fantastic!

Oh and I LOVED the "Don't Stop Now, Boys" glitter sign that one of the fans was holding up. OUTSTANDING!

Gotta keep winning cause the Twins are hot on our tails!

Go Sox!

hawkjt
07-30-2010, 11:02 AM
I was excited to see Castro get two home runs in that game last night. Two home runs for the backup catcher in one game ?!? YES, that is really fantastic!

Oh and I LOVED the "Don't Stop Now, Boys" glitter sign that one of the fans was holding up. OUTSTANDING!

Gotta keep winning cause the Twins are hot on our tails!

Go Sox!

I think the Twins and Sox are going to push each other into a great run for both teams a la the Tigers and Twins in 2006. Might even challenge for a wildcard if the Rays and Boston struggle at all.

BoysMom3
07-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Great fun watching these games. The last two nights I wasn't worried at all when we were behind.

Today - I think the Mariners are due for a win...or two or three. :wink:

FielderJones
07-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Had a great time at the park last night, with two other Sox fans and a Cubs fan. :tongue: Since the Cubs fan has a season winning percentage bet with one of the Sox fans, we had great fun during every Sox rally and homer.

Just before Castro hit his second home run, he fouled one straight back and very high. I reached out with my hat, and the ball came down with such force that it pulled the hat out of my hand into the row behind me. As I went to pick it up some douche from two rows back was battling me for it. Somehow the ball ended up three rows behind me in the hands of some kid, so it all worked out. :cool:

Oh, and by the way, the wave sucks. After Putz gave up those two runs, suddenly the wave died and the crowd became very quiet.