PDA

View Full Version : ESPN to make a film about Bartman and the 03 Cubs

Rockabilly
07-29-2010, 10:16 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/07/espn-to-air-film-on-bartman-03-cubs-in-october.html

Boondock Saint
07-29-2010, 10:20 PM
:whocares

The Cubs blew two games in October, one of them in the 8th inning. Story complete.

SI1020
07-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Of course they are going to do a major production about the 05 White Sox first aren't they?

Banix12
07-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Actually been looking forward to this honestly. This ESPN 30 for 30 series has largely been excellent.

The director directing this one is the same guy who directed the documentaries "Enron: The smartest guys in the room" and "Gonzo" the recent documentary about Hunter S. Thompson. Should be interesting, or at least very well made.

spawn
07-29-2010, 10:42 PM
I see nothing wrong with it. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it. I think it's a story worth telling.

Banix12
07-29-2010, 10:47 PM
There is a sox related 30 for 30 coming up

A documentary about Michael Jordan's stint with the Birmingham Barons directed by Ron Shelton. Writer and Director of Bull Durham, Tin Cup, Cobb and various others.
http://30for30.espn.com/film/jordan-rides-the-bus.html

Coops4Aces
07-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Is Jim Gray going to host?

MARTINMVP
07-29-2010, 11:05 PM
I have zero interest in watching this.

The intelligent Cub fans (who do exist in some places) will also hate to see how this documentary is being made. Of course, it's made by ESPN, so no shock there. Not like them to leave any stone untouched if it has any potential to garner publicity - the more controversial, the better...

soltrain21
07-29-2010, 11:06 PM

The intelligent Cub fans (who do exist in some places) will also hate to see how this documentary is being made. Of course, it's made by ESPN, so no shock there. Not like them to leave any stone untouched if it has any potential to garner publicity - the more controversial, the better...

It's not made by ESPN, but nice try. And it also has nothing to do with controversy. Do you even know what the 30 for 30 is?

Should be good. All of them have been good. The U and the Reggie Miller vs the Knicks ones were both awesome.

Banix12
07-29-2010, 11:10 PM

ESPN basically went to a bunch of directors and gave them free reign to tell whatever sports story they wanted. Alex Gibney, an oscar winner, decided to tell this story. And supposedly it's going to deal with less about the game itself and how the cubs were so close, than it will deal with the relationship that Bartman had with cub fans and the team after the fact and the need for fans to have scapegoats.

WhiteSox5187
07-29-2010, 11:18 PM
The 30 for 30 series has been very very good. This one will be just as interesting.

GoGoCrede
07-30-2010, 12:19 AM
I hope the poor guy doesn't get hassled anymore. I felt horrible for him.

LongLiveFisk
07-30-2010, 12:53 AM
I hope the poor guy doesn't get hassled anymore. I felt horrible for him.

I was wondering about this myself. It happened almost 7 years ago and I'm sure he wishes it would just go away already.

Unfortunately for him though, because it was such an interesting story and especially because it involved the Cubs/Wrigley Field, it probably will never die.

ghostface36
07-30-2010, 02:34 AM
the story has been told thousands of times idk if it needs to be told again
oh yea **** the cubs
but the 30 for 30 has been great so far, run ricky run was good the u was really good as well

g0g0
07-30-2010, 08:48 AM
This is the worst thing to happen to a fan that I can think of. You love your team, go to the game, fight for a foul ball and end up with a city/team's wrath. The poor guy had to basically go into the witness protection program! I'll be interested in seeing what has happened to him since. The best piece I've read on him was an e-ticket story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bartman

34rancher
07-30-2010, 09:13 AM
I originally felt awful for him (being a cub fan and a ND grad that he is), then I felt awful for the event and the way he was vilified and blamed by the Tribune company, Moises Alou, and the rest of the world who blamed him for losing the world series, when in fact it was the NLCS. And only in baseball, can a ball NOT EVEN IN THE FIELD OF PLAY be so blamed instead of what happened in the game. :rolleyes:

But now, I almost respect him (sans cub fan and ND grad) for not capitalizing in any known way. It would have been real easy for him to become a millionaire by this event. I also think of how just being somewhere can transform any person from average joe to infamy at any moment in life. Kind of like my grandmother told me to dress and act as classy as I would like to be seen on tv anytime I left the house, as one could never know how you can be judged by random events.

Overall, I think it will be interesting, but realize he has refused to take any part in it whatsoever.

slavko
07-30-2010, 11:08 AM
I originally felt awful for him (being a cub fan and a ND grad that he is), then I felt awful for the event and the way he was vilified and blamed by the Tribune company, Moises Alou, and the rest of the world who blamed him for losing the world series, when in fact it was the NLCS. And only in baseball, can a ball NOT EVEN IN THE FIELD OF PLAY be so blamed instead of what happened in the game. :rolleyes:

But now, I almost respect him (sans cub fan and ND grad) for not capitalizing in any known way. It would have been real easy for him to become a millionaire by this event. I also think of how just being somewhere can transform any person from average joe to infamy at any moment in life. Kind of like my grandmother told me to dress and act as classy as I would like to be seen on tv anytime I left the house, as one could never know how you can be judged by random events.

Overall, I think it will be interesting, but realize he has refused to take any part in it whatsoever.

The ball "came back" as high popups do and would have been in the field of play, even though the umpire on the spot signaled by pointing that it was in the stands. All the fans in the vicinity were reaching for it, for cry-yi! I hope they don't show a recent picture of him. Is this a story that needs retelling?

russ99
07-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Really, what is the purpose of digging this up again? Leave the poor guy alone.

Besides, any baseball fan knows it's the Cubs that lost that game, not Steve Bartman.

Maybe they should focus on the idiotic kneejerk reactions of an entire fanbase because of an incident that had little to do with the outcome of a ballgame...

theamb
07-30-2010, 12:07 PM
It's not made by ESPN, but nice try. And it also has nothing to do with controversy. Do you even know what the 30 for 30 is?

Should be good. All of them have been good. The U and the Reggie Miller vs the Knicks ones were both awesome.

Except the one about the rotisserie league baseball. That was just flat out boring.

MARTINMVP
07-30-2010, 12:31 PM

I don't care who makes 30 for 30, or how good they typically are.

The Bartman hoopla has been hashed out enough already. What more can possibly be said about it, seriously?

The Bartman incident affected one play. It had nothing to do with the poor play and the error that shortstop Alex Gonzo fielded on the next play. The Cubs lost game six themselves, and they lost game seven.

People will watch, no doubt. I'm personally not interested.

soxfan43
07-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I don't care who makes 30 for 30, or how good they typically are.

The Bartman hoopla has been hashed out enough already. What more can possibly be said about it, seriously?

The Bartman incident affected one play. It had nothing to do with the poor play and the error that shortstop Alex Gonzo fielded on the next play. The Cubs lost game six themselves, and they lost game seven.

People will watch, no doubt. I'm personally not interested.

You could say the same thing about the OJ trial but the 30 for 30 documentary on that day was really good. I, for one, am very curious as to the angle that they take with the Bartman story. Most of these 30 for 30s aren't showing the typical angle on a story so I doubt the Bartman one will just be a rehash of the events of the game. You're missing out on a ton of great sports documentaries if you're ignoring the 30 for 30 series.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-30-2010, 12:56 PM
The Two Escobars has been the best one hands down.

6WgklaS8B_M

kittle42
07-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Love the responses from people who have no idea what the ESPN series is, who makes the documentaries, and what the Bartman one is really about.

Kinda like protesting a movie/TV show you've never seen because you heard it was racy.

Good stuff, WSI!

theamb
07-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Love the responses from people who have no idea what the ESPN series is, who makes the documentaries, and what the Bartman one is really about.

Kinda like protesting a movie/TV show you've never seen because you heard it was racy.

Good stuff, WSI!

As long as the Cubs are involved, you can rest assured that the Waahmbulance will be on hand.

PatK
07-30-2010, 03:37 PM
The Bartman play made Uribe's catch in the stands in Game 4 of the WS that much sweeter

Foulke You
08-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Exactly. I remember seeing Alex Gonzalez bobble the ball on that routine grounder to SS, and thinking that this guy was going to live in infamy forever in Cub-dumb if they don't win this series. Instead, all the attention went to a fan trying to catch a foul ball. A fan who was one of 3 people who reached for it and now they are going to make a documentary film about it. I doubt the average bleacher idiot even remembers who their shortstop was in 2003 but I guarantee you they remember the name of the fan who "cost them the World Series". Also, a previous poster correctly stated that this game cost the Cubs the NLCS and NOT the World Series. It's usually treated like it cost the Cubs a championship. There is no guarantee that they would have beaten the Yankees that year.