PDA

View Full Version : Ramon Castro

tm1119
07-29-2010, 10:08 PM
At what point does Ozzie have to seriously consider playing Castro a lot more? I know its a very small sample size, but Castro has absolutely raked in what AB's hes gotten and AJ is still putting up the terrible line of .237/.274/.355. Seriously that is absolutely awful, theres no way he should still be going out there everyday.

I put this here just because I know it wont end well because AJ is loved because of his pure grindiness and amazing ability to call a game(couldnt figure out which one was teal, so thats sarcasm if you couldnt tell)

october23sp
07-29-2010, 10:11 PM
He's a great backup catcher and that is all he is. That is his role for the 2010 White Sox. I wouldn't mind seeing him DH, but we will probably pick a DH up here soon and Kotsay has been our DH guy.

07-29-2010, 10:15 PM
He's a great backup catcher and that is all he is. That is his role for the 2010 White Sox. I wouldn't mind seeing him DH, but we will probably pick a DH up here soon and Kotsay has been our DH guy.

I would.

tm1119
07-29-2010, 10:25 PM
So whats the argument that AJ should play over Castro? Is it the defense factor? Cause Im not buying that hes making anymore of a difference over a vet like Castro. Im not naive, I know Castro wont continue to hit as well as he is now but Im fairly positive he can hit better than the pathetic line that AJ is putting up. AJ is hurting this team without a doubt, why not try another option?

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm guessing the argument has something to do with defense. I don't know -- rattle A.J. and he goes from "eccentric" to "cancerous."

Pablo_Honey
07-29-2010, 10:32 PM
So whats the argument that AJ should play over Castro? Is it the defense factor? Cause Im not buying that hes making anymore of a difference over a vet like Castro. Im not naive, I know Castro wont continue to hit as well as he is now but Im fairly positive he can hit better than the pathetic line that AJ. AJ is hurting this team without a doubt, why not try another option?
Here's my answer to that question: Just remember who our manager is. That's all I can say.

Hints: Kotsay, DH, Viciedo

tm1119
07-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Here's my answer to that question: Just remember who our manager is. That's all I can say.

Yeah Im fully aware of that. Im just curious to see if people here agree with me.

Bobby Thigpen
07-29-2010, 10:37 PM

Are you freaking serious?

I suppose in your perfect world they'd go 162-0 every year if it weren't for that idiot Ozzie.

Wow.

sullythered
07-29-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm guessing the argument has something to do with defense. I don't know -- rattle A.J. and he goes from "eccentric" to "cancerous."

I have yet to see the White Sox AJ behave in a "cancerous" way. And so have you.

Craig Grebeck

I suppose in your perfect world they'd go 162-0 every year if it weren't for that idiot Ozzie.

Wow.
I have no idea what you're taking issue with.

DumpJerry
We would have to get a third catcher on the roster first. It's been a long time since Konerko crouched behind the Plate.

The Immigrant
Nobody is saying that Castro should play more often than A.J., but he should be playing at least twice a week - and A.J. should not be facing many lefties.

Pablo_Honey
07-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah Im fully aware of that. Im just curious to see if people here agree with me.
Oh I see. Well I agree with you. Play the hot hand until it cools off. Castro can't be any worse than AJ is right now.

Wow.
So you don't think Ozzie is too loyal to his guys? Despite Kotsay's struggles, Ozzie keeps sending him out there everyday, batting him high in the lineup. That's just blind loyalty and I wanna see something done about it. So just because Ozzie got us 2005 World Series, I can't criticize one of his moves that is clearly not right?

Bobby Thigpen
07-29-2010, 10:48 PM
I have no idea what you're taking issue with.
The notion that Ozzie's "hurting" the team.

Brian26
07-29-2010, 10:51 PM
So whats the argument that AJ should play over Castro?

Tell me you're joking.

tm1119
07-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Nobody is saying that Castro should play more often than A.J., but he should be playing at least twice a week - and A.J. should not be facing many lefties.

Ehh, I am. AJ stinks right now, no debating it. Castro should be at least given the shot of regular playing time for him to earn that starting spot. Crazier things have happened than a guy of Castro's caliber to get hot and keep this hitting up for a couple of months.

Brian26
07-29-2010, 10:53 PM
We would have to get a third catcher on the roster first. It's been a long time since Konerko crouched behind the Plate.

Kotsay would be our #3 catcher.

sox1970
15 posts and not one mention of Donny Lucy? I want him back. He was so much better. :redneck

Bobby Thigpen
Oh I see. Well I agree with you. Play the hot hand until it cools off. Castro can't be any worse than AJ is right now.

So you don't think Ozzie is too loyal to his guys? Despite Kotsay's struggles, Ozzie keeps sending him out there everyday, batting him high in the lineup. That's just blind loyalty and I wanna see something done about it. So just because Ozzie got us 2005 World Series, I can't criticize one of his moves that is clearly not right?
So, with Viciedo in there and Kotsay out the Sox go 162-0?

Last I checked, the Sox are in first. After having a TERRIBLE first 1/4 of the season. I suppose that's in spite of Ozzie. I suppose his loyalty to guys like Alexi and CQ and Vizquel should just be overlooked. Maybe Kotsay goes on an awesome tear. Maybe he doesn't. I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows.

But I'm pretty sure Ozzie has a better idea than any of us.

tm1119
07-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Tell me you're joking.

Nope. Please try to give the reasoning behind AJ being put into the lineup everyday. Because its getting pretty pathetic at this point.

doublem23
07-29-2010, 10:55 PM
The notion that Ozzie's "hurting" the team.

It is possible for people to have mixed feelings about things. You could think Ozzie does good work in Area A and be lacking in Area B. You know, not everything is just simple black and white.

Brian26
07-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Nope. Please try to give the reasoning behind AJ being put into the lineup everyday. Because its getting pretty pathetic at this point.

Take a couple of aspirin and sleep it off. We'll talk tomorrow.

Bobby Thigpen
07-29-2010, 10:56 PM
It is possible for people to have mixed feelings about things. You could think Ozzie does good work in Area A and be lacking in Area B. You know, not everything is just simple black and white.
No, saying he's hurting the team is pretty black and white.

doublem23
07-29-2010, 10:57 PM
I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows.

That's not a good reasoning to not play the odds, though. You don't know this lottery ticket I bought isn't going to win the jackpot. That doesn't mean I should stop showing up for work until I actually do win.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2010, 10:57 PM
That's lazy. He can help the team in one area and hurt in another. For example, he handles the bullpen pretty well, but I can safely say his handling of the DH spot has been horrendous.

DSpivack
07-29-2010, 10:59 PM

But White Six baseball is black and white!

Boondock Saint
07-29-2010, 10:59 PM
That's lazy. He can help the team in one area and hurt in another. For example, he handles the bullpen pretty well, but I can safely say his handling of the DH spot has been horrendous.

Yet another o-fer for Kotsay and the #6 spot in the lineup!

doublem23
07-29-2010, 11:00 PM

Not surprised to get that answer from you.

Whatever man, I think Ozzie has generally done a good to very good job this season, but this stupid garbage DH platoon is 100% on him, we're at the trade deadline and we have to make a choice of either dumping what few prospects we have or continuing this season with an absolute black hole in our batting order. I'd say his crazy decision to go with Jones/Kotsay has hurt this team, that doesn't mean I automatically think he's a bad manager all of a sudden.

There's a million shades of gray between black and white.

doublem23
07-29-2010, 11:01 PM
But White Six baseball is black and white!

:rolling:

Touche.

tm1119
07-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Take a couple of aspirin and sleep it off. We'll talk tomorrow.

Its cool, I understand if you cant find an actual reason. I mean how could you defend a guy that has the 6th worst OPS of any position player that has the qualifying AB's. But hey, AJ is so grindy!!!

We have 3 guys in the top 15 of worst OPS in the league among qualifying players by the way. Pretty pathetic. Beckham is 1 and wont be by the end of the season, but Pierre and AJ just flat out suck. Although, Pierre is at least improving as well. AJ on the other hand, is hitting .200 in July.

sullythered
07-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Not surprised to get that answer from you.

Whatever man, I think Ozzie has generally done a good to very good job this season, but this stupid garbage DH platoon is 100% on him, we're at the trade deadline and we have to make a choice of either dumping what few prospects we have or continuing this season with an absolute black hole in our batting order. I'd say his crazy decision to go with Jones/Kotsay has hurt this team, that doesn't mean I automatically think he's a bad manager all of a sudden.

There's a million shades of gray between black and white.
Yep. I love Ozzie, and i think he's done a pretty damn great job taking a flawed team to first place at the end of July, but to say he has been without flaw this year is silly.

The DH thing is kind of indefensible.

Pablo_Honey
07-29-2010, 11:04 PM
So, with Viciedo in there and Kotsay out the Sox go 162-0?
Talk about a hyperbole. When did I ever say the Sox will go 162-0 with Viciedo? I merely pointed out that Castro won't start over AJ because Ozzie will remain loyal to AJ and keep starting him.

Last I checked, the Sox are in first. After having a TERRIBLE first 1/4 of the season. I suppose that's in spite of Ozzie. I suppose his loyalty to guys like Alexi and CQ and Vizquel should just be overlooked. Maybe Kotsay goes on an awesome tear. Maybe he doesn't. I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows.
Alexei has a history of getting off to a slow start and Carlos had too much potential to be sitting on bench. I didn't give up on those guys but it sure was frustrating to watch. Beckham is the only one I gave up on and it took a looong time for him to get going. Besides, Beckham's fate was more up to Kenny than anything. As for Vizquel, I'm not sure why you would bring him up. If you are implying that I want Viciedo to start over him, no, I don't think that. Vizquel should remain our starting third baseman.

But I'm pretty sure Ozzie has a better idea than any of us.
Uh huh. Why bother even talking about sports? Let all the doubters like me shut the **** up and stop questioning the organization and its members.

Brian26
07-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Its cool, I understand if you cant find an actual reason. I mean how could you defend a guy that has the 6th worst OPS of any position player that has the qualifying AB's. But hey, AJ is so grindy!!!

We have 3 guys in the top 15 of worst OPS in the league among qualifying players by the way. Pretty pathetic. Beckham is 1 and wont be by the end of the season, but Pierre and AJ just flat out suck. Although, Pierre is at least improving as well. AJ on the other hand, is hitting .200 in July.

I could give you a half dozen reasons why the Sox shouldn't bench AJ, but the discussion is pointless since you're analyzing this in a vacuum.

russ99
07-29-2010, 11:05 PM

You say he's hurting the team in one area, I say he's making the calls the best he can with the personnel he has in every area.

Some calls look good, some calls look bad, but he's not making decisions due to some implied bias, he's using his best judgment, based on what he's done in the past and on input from the management team.

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2010, 11:07 PM
I think if we see Castro every day, either at C or DH he likely will fall way back down to earth. However, he's earned the chance to prove me wrong.

Craig Grebeck
You say he's hurting the team in one area, I say he's making the calls the best he can with the personnel he has in every area.

Some calls look good, some calls look bad, but he's not making decisions due to some implied bias, he's using his best judgment, based on what he's done in the past and on input from the management team.

His best judgment puts Mark Kotsay in the 6-hole. Excuse me if I don't trust said "best judgment."

sullythered

:rolleyes: <sigh>

I love B and B too, but I really wish Bernstein would have never come up with that gag.

Intangibles and leadership do exist, and do make a difference. AJ has been an integral part of any success the Sox have had over the last six seasons, and despite Castro's success in an extremely limited role/sample size this year, he has proven over a LONG career that he is not a starting caliber catcher.

tm1119
07-29-2010, 11:08 PM
I could give you a half dozen reasons why the Sox shouldn't bench AJ, but the discussion is pointless since you're analyzing this in a vacuum.

How exactly am I in a vacum? Seriously, Im curious to youre reasoning. Enlighten me.

Pablo_Honey
07-29-2010, 11:12 PM
How exactly am I in a vacum? Seriously, Im curious to youre reasoning. Enlighten me.
The conventional wisdom is that, catcher is the single most important position defensively. IIRC, Castro never got to start because he couldn't handle a pitching staff properly. AJ's been praised for that exact ability and starting Castro over AJ would mean pitchers struggling. Personally, I don't value the catcher's defense much so I have no problem starting Castro over AJ (Hey, look what it did for Mark on July 23rd 2009). For others, no way.

oeo
07-29-2010, 11:16 PM
I have yet to see the White Sox AJ behave in a "cancerous" way. And so have you.

AJ was upset when the Sox signed Toby Hall because he thought he would lose playing time. I think AJ could become a problem if he's not happy. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2010, 11:18 PM
OK, let's focus on the issue at hand.

AJ is struggling this year. He's been exceptionally durable, but perhaps all those innings caught since 2005 are beginning to wear him down a bit.

In very limited playing time, Castro has been very good at the plate and has done a great job working with Garcia.

I think it would be worth giving AJ a few more days off, and Castro a few more starts. Maybe for the month of August, Castro becomes the designated catcher for both Garcia AND for one of the other starters. This would give AJ two days off out of every five. Then, on August 31, see where we are.

I think it would pay dividends in the playoffs to have AJ a little fresher.

The Immigrant
07-29-2010, 11:18 PM
I think Ozzie just said that Ramon would get the start tomorow night.

Boondock Saint
07-29-2010, 11:20 PM
AJ was upset when the Sox signed Toby Hall because he thought he would lose playing time. I think AJ could become a problem if he's not happy. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't.

Five years in, and people are still saying this? Give me a ****ing break.

Noneck
07-29-2010, 11:22 PM
One of my biggest fears since 05 was AJ going on the DL. This is the 1st time with Castro and Lucy, that it is not now a "major" fear.

sullythered
07-29-2010, 11:25 PM

You know what? We have had this guy for 6 years and the worst he has done is worry a little bit about playing time. It's a big enough sample size for me to say that the SF Giants stuff was more than likely bull****, and the product of a couple bitchy pitchers. AJ has never been a cancer, and there is no reason to believe he will somehow become one after all this time.

oeo
07-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Five years in, and people are still saying this? Give me a ****ing break.

Give me a ****ing break. No guy is going to respond well to playing time taken away, especially a veteran. Don't take it so personally. AJ has been great here, but the guy isn't Mother Theresa.

Awfully convenient to complete ignore the first point of my post, which is evidence that AJ may be a problem if he loses playing time.

tm1119
07-29-2010, 11:26 PM
:rolleyes: <sigh>

I love B and B too, but I really wish Bernstein would have never come up with that gag.

Intangibles and leadership do exist, and do make a difference. AJ has been an integral part of any success the Sox have had over the last six seasons, and despite Castro's success in an extremely limited role/sample size this year, he has proven over a LONG career that he is not a starting caliber catcher.

Sure they do, but they only matter if you perform on the field as well. I dont care what intangibles and leadership you have, if you cant perform on the field then you dont belong. Theres no such thing as intangibles out weighing talent. And AJ has proven over the past 300 or so AB's that hes not starting quality. Its not like Im calling for his head 30 games into the season. We are in the middle of an extremely tight playoff race, theres no reason we shouldnt be utilizing the best resources we have at the moment. All Im saying is lets see what Castro can do over a couple of weeks of getting the majority of starts. He seriously cant do any worse than AJ.

oeo
07-29-2010, 11:28 PM
You know what? We have had this guy for 6 years and the worst he has done is worry a little bit about playing time. It's a big enough sample size for me to say that the SF Giants stuff was more than likely bull****, and the product of a couple bitchy pitchers. AJ has never been a cancer, and there is no reason to believe he will somehow become one after all this time.

Jesus, you can't say anything here. AJ has also never lost playing time here. He's been our everyday catcher and has been happy the entire time. Sorry that I don't think he's the greatest teammate of all time. Was all that crap blown out proportion? Absolutely. That doesn't mean he would be the best teammate if he was riding the bench more.

And once again, convenient to completely ignore that he was upset when Toby Hall was signed because he MIGHT lose some playing time.

Boondock Saint
07-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Give me a ****ing break. No guy is going to respond well to playing time taken away, especially a veteran. Don't take it so personally. AJ has been great here, but the guy isn't Mother Theresa.

Awfully convenient to complete ignore the first point of my post, which is evidence that AJ may be a problem if he loses playing time.

"Might not respond well" and "Could become a problem" are two completely different things. AJ hasn't been a problem since coming here over five years ago, and it's unfair to assume that he will become one at this point. He's a big boy, and will likely understand that .237 isn't going to cut it.

Noneck
07-29-2010, 11:31 PM

I dont know AJ personally but it sure makes sense that if a aging catcher in a FA year, is benched in a pennant race, he wont be a happy camper.

sullythered
07-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Jesus, you can't say anything here. AJ has also never lost playing time here. He's been our everyday catcher and has been happy the entire time. Sorry that I don't think he's the greatest teammate of all time. Was all that crap blown out proportion? Absolutely. That doesn't mean he would be the best teammate if he was riding the bench more.

And once again, convenient to completely ignore that he was upset when Toby Hall was signed because he MIGHT lose some playing time.

I wasn't attacking you. I was only saying that there has been absolutely no evidence of AJ exhibiting behavior detrimental to the team, and I see no logical reason to assume that it might happen in the future. No precedent.

oeo
07-29-2010, 11:32 PM
"Might not respond well" and "Could become a problem" are two completely different things. AJ hasn't been a problem since coming here over five years ago, and it's unfair to assume that he will become one at this point. He's a big boy, and will likely understand that .237 isn't going to cut it.

No, he's definitely not going to respond well because no veteran does, and he could become a problem.

Just like Jermaine Dye understood he wasn't getting the job done? How about Nick Swisher? Even Konerko wasn't happy about losing playing time in 2008. These guys are competitors and have pride, it has nothing to do with being 'big boys.'

Apparently I touched a sore spot.

Boondock Saint
07-29-2010, 11:35 PM
No, he's definitely not going to respond well because no veteran does, and he could become a problem.

Just like Jermaine Dye understood he wasn't getting the job done? How about Nick Swisher? These guys are competitors and have pride, it has nothing to do with being 'big boys.'

Apparently I touched a sore spot.

This is my problem. You wouldn't say that Mark Teahen could become a problem because he lost playing time, you probably wouldn't say it about Mark Kotsay, either. It's the assumption that AJ has attitude problems that are going to suddenly come to the surface after five years with no problems.

Noneck
07-29-2010, 11:38 PM
It's the assumption that AJ has attitude problems that are going to suddenly come to the surface after five years with no problems.

It seems like a real possibility for a aging catcher with maybe one more pay day ahead, at the end of this year.

oeo
07-29-2010, 11:41 PM
This is my problem. You wouldn't say that Mark Teahen could become a problem because he lost playing time, you probably wouldn't say it about Mark Kotsay, either. It's the assumption that AJ has attitude problems that are going to suddenly come to the surface after five years with no problems.

Mark Teahen isn't happy about it. He's accepting it, but he mentioned it himself, that he would like to play third base but understands. And no, I don't think AJ would respond the same way. Not because of the San Francisco rumors, but because I've watched the guy play day in and day out for the last 5.5 years, heard a heck of a lot interviews, and feel like I have a pretty good idea of the type of athlete AJ is. I'm not saying he's a bad person, I'm just saying he's ultra-competitive.

As for Kotsay, he understands his role on the team. He was re-signed knowing he wouldn't be getting regular AB's.

I don't think it's a good idea anyway. Keep Castro on his schedule. The guy was knocked in other places because he didn't want to get regular AB's, he was more interested in being a backup and partying. He's not going to keep pace getting regular AB's anyway, so just keep both of them happy and keep them in their roles. AJ will get going again.

Balfanman
07-29-2010, 11:47 PM
I think that it would be a great idea to play Castro just a little more often during the month of August. Not only do you ride Castros' hot streak, as someone has already stated it may keep A.J. just a little fresher for September / October baseball. I would think that if A.J. has a problem with that, then he is not the total team player that he's made out to be.

sullythered
07-29-2010, 11:49 PM
I think that it would be a great idea to play Castro just a little more often during the month of August. Not only do you ride Castros' hot streak, as someone has already stated it may keep A.J. just a little fresher for September / October baseball. I would think that if A.J. has a problem with that, then he is not the total team player that he's made out to be.

I think it's a good idea too. But the TS was advocating making Castro the starter. If we did that, his career norms would resurface.

Balfanman
07-30-2010, 12:07 AM
I think it's a good idea too. But the TS was advocating making Castro the starter. If we did that, his career norms would resurface.

Agreed, there is a high probability of that return to the norms.

hawkjt
07-30-2010, 01:59 AM
Ozzie said in the postgame that Ramon was causing him a problem with his good play,and then said he would sit AJ one game this weekend with the A's starting three leftys. That makes sense. I think AJ needs to be made to understand that in the heat of August,and with Ramon's hot bat, sitting him one more game/week is better for the team. Go game by game.

Bottom line, fans are saying that Ramon will regress if he plays another game a week,lets see if it happens. Since mid-may Ramon has been very consistent with the bat,and much better than AJ,who has flat sucked.

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2010, 02:35 AM
So just because Ozzie got us 2005 World Series, I can't criticize one of his moves that is clearly not right?

Jesus, you can't say anything here. Nobody has stopped either of you from saying what you want. People disagreeing with you is not the same as being censored.

A funny part of this thread is that I live in Minnesota, and I'm hearing Twins fans complain that Gardenhire is a problem because he's too loyal to his players. It's like I'm in Bizarro world.

oeo
07-30-2010, 05:00 AM
Nobody has stopped either of you from saying what you want. People disagreeing with you is not the same as being censored.

I never claimed I was being censored. I made one claim, which had evidence to back it up and actually made sense, and people went hog-wild thinking I have something against AJ.

Balfanman
07-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I love A.J., and I personally hope that he sticks around for a few more seasons and even ends his career here, eventually. I also do not know A.J. so maybe I have it all wrong, but he had the same attitude (I think) when the possibility of splitting time with Flowers was a possibility this last spring.

That being said, I don't understand how he cannot see that sharing time behind the plate could help the team by keeping him fresher, help the team by developing options behind the plate, and helping himself by maybe increasing his offensive production by being fresher, which having better numbers will help him in free agency.

It's not just A.J. either; Dye had the same issue and pouted when the Sox brought in Rios last season. I believe that Konerko has bristled in the past as well when he felt that his position was threatened and is known for not being very helpful to players who may eventually replace him.

I can understand looking out for number one to a point. However, these guys are supposed to be professionals and their team is in a pennant race. If the main thing is winning championships, as almost any player will tell you (except for maybe Javier Vasquez), then this strikes me as being awfully selfish and far from a team first attitude. In fact, is it really any different from the Swisher issue a couple of seasons ago when he pouted? This is the main reason why I wanted nothing to with bringing Dye back after he pulled this stuff last year.

Sorry for the rant, and as always JMHO.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-30-2010, 12:33 PM
His .237 career average says he probably isn't a .300+ hitter but he's swinging the bat well and he has 60 HR in 1298 career ABs so the power is real.

To the extent AJ's struggles are mileage related, it would be beneficial to both AJ and the team to give Castro a few more looks.