PDA

View Full Version : Capps to the Twins

Crede24Thome25
07-29-2010, 09:52 PM
According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune a deal could be done tonight or tomorrow for Matt Capps. Twins minor league catcher Wilson Ramos was just pulled from the game. Twins also interested in Brandon League of the Mariners, I pray they get him, the Sox lights him up at every chance.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/99595119.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUqCP:iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aU qCP:i_yD3D:a_47cQi_ycaEacyU

october23sp
07-29-2010, 09:56 PM
:bandance:

And they gave up Ramos for him. Dumbasses.

DumpJerry
07-29-2010, 09:57 PM
They just announced on the Sox telecast. Stone said it helps the Twins.

Capps is a closer, they need a starter.

Boondock Saint
07-29-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't like that they've improved, but it certainly isn't enough.

DirtySox
They just announced on the Sox telecast. Stone said it helps the Twins.

Capps is a closer, they need a starter.

It does help the Twins. Just not as much as good starter would.

Crede24Thome25
:bandance:

And they gave up Ramos for him. Dumbasses.
Now alls we need for them to do is acquire Brandon League and the division is ours:D:

Rockabilly
07-29-2010, 10:00 PM
I wonder why the Sox were in discussions about Capps

NDSox12
07-29-2010, 10:01 PM
The Twins seem to like ex-Nats closers. Maybe they will try to acquire Mike MacDougal next.

october23sp
07-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Ramos goes from Centerpiece of trade for Lee to one for Capps?:rolling:

Even if Capps kicks the **** out of us, it's an awful trade.

october23sp
07-29-2010, 10:04 PM
And obviously they don't need Ramos with Mauer, but they could have gotten more than Capps.

Pablo_Honey
07-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Crap trade by the Twins. Can't believe it actually took Wilson Ramos to get Matt Capps. What a difference can changing a GM make on a team. First the Jays rip off the Braves and now the Nats rip off the Twins.

Banix12
07-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Trading one of your better prospects for a closer who isn't even that much better than the closer you already have. Dumb.

Crede24Thome25
07-29-2010, 10:29 PM
The Nationals also got Joe Testa along with Ramos

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Ramos goes from Centerpiece of trade for Lee to one for Capps?:rolling:

Even if Capps kicks the **** out of us, it's an awful trade.
He was never a centerpiece for Lee. That's an idiotic assertion.

DumpJerry
07-29-2010, 10:34 PM
And obviously they don't need Ramos with Mauer, but they could have gotten more than Capps.
Not true. For Mauer to last the term of his contract, he needs to stop catching at some point to save the knees.

The Immigrant
07-29-2010, 10:44 PM

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

WhiteSox5187
07-29-2010, 11:00 PM

Every article that mentioned Lee going to the Twins said Ramos would have to be one of the pieces part of it and the Twins didn't want to let go of him; he would have been a big part of that trade. But I suppose you know more about the going ons of baseball executives than guys who are paid to write about it and have access to executives.

Crede24Thome25
07-29-2010, 11:00 PM
The twins got absolutely robbed.

Crede24Thome25
07-29-2010, 11:01 PM
:roflmao:

october23sp
07-29-2010, 11:02 PM

Harsher than my goatee.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Well **** me for trying to rid the world of stupid statements about beisbol.
Every article that mentioned Lee going to the Twins said Ramos would have to be one of the pieces part of it and the Twins didn't want to let go of him; he would have been a big part of that trade. But I suppose you know more about the going ons of baseball executives than guys who are paid to write about it and have access to executives.
I'm quite certain I know more about baseball than someone who thinks Ramos was the "centerpiece" of a Lee deal. Was he a piece? Yes. The centerpiece? No.

WhiteSox5187
07-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Also, I think Capps might be an improvement over Rauch if they decide to move him from closer. But, Capps has never been on a team in contention this late in the season and closing out games for a team that is 20 out is different than closing games for a team that is 1.5 back.

Boondock Saint
07-29-2010, 11:05 PM

I'm quite certain I know more about baseball than someone who thinks Ramos was the "centerpiece" of a Lee deal. Was he a piece? Yes. The centerpiece? No.

So you go semi-nuclear over semantics? Calm down, bro.

WhiteSox5187
07-29-2010, 11:06 PM

There ya go, you know more about people who have spent thirty years writing about the game and covering it. Congrats.

october23sp
07-29-2010, 11:06 PM

:clap:

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Oh, cry me a river guys. Jesus. **** all over sportswriters until they're in your corner.

october23sp
07-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Oh, cry me a river guys. Jesus. **** all over sportswriters until they're in your corner.

It's mostly how pissed you got. I get disagreed with a lot, but you took it to a whole 'nother level.

doublem23
07-29-2010, 11:12 PM

Holy ****, dude, if you don't want to play nice, don't play at all. Take a couple days to think about it.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Oh God, it's tongue-in-cheek.

canOcorn
07-29-2010, 11:20 PM

He might not have been the #1 prospect for the Twins in a proposed deal, but I do think he was the centerpiece for Lee. They wanted a catcher for the future and probably would've taken Sano or Gibson instead of Hicks, plus Ramos.

This trade marginally helps the Twins in the short term, but they way, way overpaid for Capps. Maybe this is why Rizzo is shooting for the moon on Dunn. It only takes one sucker to overpay.

october23sp
07-29-2010, 11:23 PM
He might not have been the #1 prospect for the Twins in a proposed deal, but I do think he was the centerpiece for Lee. They wanted a catcher for the future and probably would've taken Sano or Gibson instead of Hicks, plus Ramos.

This trade marginally helps the Twins in the short term, but they way, way overpaid for Capps. Maybe this is why Rizzo is shooting for the moon on Dunn. It only takes one sucker to overpay.

That's exactly it, which is why Kenny waits til the last minute. Make them meet your demands instead of vice versa.

asindc
07-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Man, Smith must be feeling a bit desperate. Ramos for Capps? Well, I agree with Smith that their BP is nothing special, but that is a high price.

sullythered
07-29-2010, 11:45 PM
I don't like that the Twinkies have a closer now, but they paid WAY too much. And I'm happy it's Capps and not Downs.

Twins_Morneau
07-29-2010, 11:47 PM

Thank you sir.

Anyways this had to be done, Rauch has been throwing bp for awhile now.

Domeshot17
07-30-2010, 12:52 AM
This is a good deal for Both teams. The twins just sold really high on a guy who might not be much better than an average C in the bigs. Capps may pitch for Washington, but he was probably the best available reliever on the entire trade market.

It really depends on if Ramos pans out. I think a lot was made out of his position. He was never going to be the best player in a deal for Cliff Lee, he was just a position the Mariners desperately needed a high level prospect in. I was a little shocked the Twins dealt Ramos for Capps, but this isn't a vast overpayment. If Capps was on any other team, he would easily be considered one of the best young closers in all of baseball. He had an off year last year, but before that, his stats were sickeningly good, like Matt Thornton good if not better.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 01:35 AM
To me Rauch wasn't that bad but what this does do is help solve the Twins set-up problem.

However, as has been said before, I think they more desperately needed a starting pitcher. I also think this was a pretty big piece to give up. People may say that Ramos was blocked by Mauer anyway but a) that doesn't mean he coudln't have been used in a different trading, netting a better player and b) assumes that Mauer will stay at C his entire career (which doesn't seem wise to me).

Usually when your rival makes a mood it's a shot across the bow. I'm not too worreid about this one. We are still better than the Twins.