PDA

View Full Version : Is The Board Going Down Just Like The Sox?

kevingrt
06-24-2002, 10:58 PM
There's no point of a Website when you try harder to update your website then the Sox try to win...

ma-gaga
06-24-2002, 11:39 PM
Count yourself lucky you have a site as nice as this. A dedicated fan site with mostly intelligent banter and a kick-ass membership base.

You dont' know what it's like not having a site as nice as this.

Jerry_Manuel
06-24-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Count yourself lucky you have a site as nice as this. A dedicated fan site with mostly intelligent banter and a kick-ass membership base.

You dont' know what it's like not having a site as nice as this.

Mostly intelligent? Are you sure you have the right site? :smile:

I'm sure Twins Interactive would be laughing at the crap the Sox throw out on the field.

doublem23
06-24-2002, 11:42 PM

Yeah, WSI is probably the only thing keeping me interested in seeing the Sox day in and day out....

Come to think of it, that might be a bad thing right now. :)

Daver
06-24-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Mostly intelligent? Are you sure you have the right site?

JM has a point,I still post here.

ma-gaga
06-24-2002, 11:44 PM
Mostly intelligent?

well, except for this idiot named Jerry Manual, and Doublem23, mostly intelligent.

Jerry_Manuel
06-24-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by daver
JM has a point,I still post here.

I'm an idiot to, so don't feel bad.

MisterB
06-24-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Is The Board Going Down Just Like The Sox?

No. This board has way more heart and determination than the Sox do right now...

Jerry_Manuel
06-24-2002, 11:46 PM
Well, except for this idiot named Jerry Manual, and Doublem23, mostly intelligent.

I'm glad your not talking about me. :D:

Jerry_Manuel

Jjav829
06-24-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

No. This board has way more heart and determination than the Sox do right now...

If the Sox had half the heart of the people on this board...

Procol Harum
06-24-2002, 11:50 PM

You might just give Lenny an idea--I'm sure that many of us would be willing to suit up and play for the ML minimum. Heck, I bet we could field a team from among the WSI faithful that the Braves could sweep....

MisterB
06-24-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
You might just give Lenny an idea--I'm sure that many of us would be willing to suit up and play for the ML minimum. Heck, I bet we could field a team from among the WSI faithful that the Braves could sweep....

OO! OO! I got dibs on secondbase! :D:

DonkeyKongerko
06-24-2002, 11:53 PM
the people of this board are true white sox fans. we bleed black and white. unfortunately i cannot say the same for our front office and mr. jerry reinsdorf. i only dream about the earlier post where someone suggested the members of WSI buy out the white sox. unfortunately its not possible but it will always be a beautiful dream.

FanOf14
06-24-2002, 11:55 PM
I've been dreaming the same thing Donkey.

pudge
06-25-2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
the people of this board are true white sox fans. we bleed black and white. unfortunately i cannot say the same for our front office and mr. jerry reinsdorf. i only dream about the earlier post where someone suggested the members of WSI buy out the white sox. unfortunately its not possible but it will always be a beautiful dream.

Oh man, have you seen some of the arguments on here? - If we bought the Sox, nothin' would get done cause we'd be debating every move for months. ;) Of course that's no worse than what's happening now.

CubKilla
06-25-2002, 02:52 AM

OO! OO! I got dibs on secondbase! :D:

Then I'm calling SS. Can anyone on this board possibly do worse than Royce at the plate? I think I could hit .200 for far less money than Royce. I was always pretty good with the glove too.

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I think I could hit .200 for far less money than Royce. No, you couldn't hit .200 over a full season against major league pitching. I don't even know you, but I know you couldn't. No one posting to this board could. With luck, maybe .050.

CubKilla
06-25-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
No, you couldn't hit .200 over a full season against major league pitching. I don't even know you, but I know you couldn't. No one posting to this board could. With luck, maybe .050.

Maybe I should have used TEAL if I knew the comment would be taken seriously.....

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2002, 03:12 AM
It's just a pet peeve of mine, when people say that they could do as well as any major leaguer at any aspect of the game, (unless they are a major leaguer or a prospect.) People toss that around all the time.

ISUSoxfan
06-25-2002, 03:59 AM
Speaking of major league prospects, when Clayton got hurt in 1999, he was replaced at shortstop by Kelly Dransfield. I played against Kelly in high school and he hit 4 homers in a double header against us. I bet that Kelly has developed into a much better player than Clayton by now, but I believe he is still in the Texas organization behind A-Rod. The Sox should look into acquiring him.

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
Speaking of major league prospects, when Clayton got hurt in 1999, he was replaced at shortstop by Kelly Dransfield. I played against Kelly in high school and he hit 4 homers in a double header against us. I bet that Kelly has developed into a much better player than Clayton by now, but I believe he is still in the Texas organization behind A-Rod. The Sox should look into acquiring him. Kelly Dransfeldt is hitting .222 in 71 games for the Oklahoma RedHawks. Hurry, let's sign this kid before word gets out!

Actually, this reinforces a point I made a couple of weeks ago. You played against this kid; you know how good he was. Now he's a mediocre AAA player. Just how good are the major leaguers?

TornLabrum
06-25-2002, 09:32 AM
Actually, this reinforces a point I made a couple of weeks ago. You played against this kid; you know how good he was. Now he's a mediocre AAA player. Just how good are the major leaguers?

It's a point that bears repeating. Unless a place is a hotbed of talent, every single one of these guys were probably the best players in their little leagues, high school conferences, etc. Joliet has had its share of major league players over the past 30 years or so, and believe me, every one of them got a lot of press space as being a phenomenon. A whole lot of others who also got similar coverage never made it past AAA.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-25-2002, 09:37 AM
Kelly Dransfeldt is hitting .222 in 71 games for the Oklahoma RedHawks. Hurry, let's sign this kid before word gets out!

This is a good point. At any given moment, there are only 750 ballplayers playing at the major league level. That may sound like a lot, but it's virtually zero compared to the millions of ballplayers who played ball at high school level or higher. These guys are the top one percent of the top one percent.

MLB ballplayers are living on the edge of a knife. Any slip in their ability, and they are likely gone. Even amongst the guys who make it, what is the length of the average MLB career, 3 years?

If you can play ball in MLB for 3+ years, you are every bit as gifted in your profession as the richest, most successful east coast trial lawyers--even though you probably make less money.

hold2dibber
06-25-2002, 09:43 AM
It's just a pet peeve of mine, when people say that they could do as well as any major leaguer at any aspect of the game, (unless they are a major leaguer or a prospect.) People toss that around all the time.

I take offense to that - I can chew seeds, adjust my crotch and lolly-gag down to first base as well as any major leaguer!

Iwritecode
06-25-2002, 11:03 AM
No, you couldn't hit .200 over a full season against major league pitching. I don't even know you, but I know you couldn't. No one posting to this board could. With luck, maybe .050.

Hey! I went to the batting cages and tried hitting the one that was throwing 90MPH. I only looked silly on about half of them. I think I foul tipped a couple of them. The others I just whiffed on. So I'm sure I could hit at least .020... :D:

I don't even want to know what would happen if I had to try and hit a breaking ball...

Soxheads
06-25-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko

I'll let you in on a little secret. When you donate to WSI, you really aren't. You're just giving more money to George as he prepares to take over the White Sox in a bloodless coup.

Of course, he might be sincere about money going to help WSI. :D:

Dadawg_77
06-25-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

I'll let you in on a little secret. When you donate to WSI, you really aren't. You're just giving more money to George as he prepares to take over the White Sox in a bloodless coup.

Of course, he might be sincere about money going to help WSI. :D:

Damn, why didn't you say so George. Let me see what I got here.... But can we make the coup bloody, there should be a least a few heads rolling

ESPN est. the worth of the Sox at $233 million. Using Baseball's 60/40 rule, we can only raise 89.2 million dollars using debt. So we need to figure out how to raise $133.8 million is cash. I got $500. Maybe we can get some of the existing partners to stay on for the so that would lower our share of what needed to be raised.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
If you can play ball in MLB for 3+ years, you are every bit as gifted in your profession as the richest, most successful east coast trial lawyers--even though you probably make less money.

FINALLY somebody says something that gives Carlos Lee some worth! PHG, you're a saint! :)

Heather the Redbird