PDA

View Full Version : Another bar opening by Cork and Kerry - Turtle's Bar and Grill

tony1972
07-29-2010, 09:16 PM
on 33rd and Wells...expected to open next week..

Well..we are getting SOME options now..with Cork and Kerry..Turtle's..Rocky's on 31st and the Beer Garden...

DumpJerry
07-29-2010, 09:29 PM
:woo-woo
There's no place like home....there's no place like home...

The Dude
07-29-2010, 09:31 PM
on 33rd and Wells...expected to open next week..

Well..we are getting SOME options now..with Cork and Kerry..Turtle's..Rocky's on 31st and the Beer Garden...

I love having 3 bars within walking distance from my place...and the cell! :gulp:

elrod
07-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Whatever happened to Jimbos? Is that place still there? Seriously, I haven't been to the city of Chicago since 2006 and I miss it desperately.

doublem23
07-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Whatever happened to Jimbos? Is that place still there? Seriously, I haven't been to the city of Chicago since 2006 and I miss it desperately.

Jimbo's was a dump run by Cub fans and has thankfully closed.

Cork & Kerry at the Park is open in their old location.

doublem23
07-29-2010, 11:46 PM

3 whole bars and it's Wrigleyville?

I liked Rocky's, Wings and Rings is... OK, and I'm eager to check out Turtles and C&K the next time I'm down at the park, but let's face it, these places ultimately sort of suck. No one is going barhopping in Bridgeport; you realize Wrigleyville is a destination 365 days a year, right?

Not saying it's a good or bad thing, it's just a ridiculous comparison.

Gavin
07-29-2010, 11:57 PM

Where do you live?

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Will this place have food options? I remember going to that location while looking for apartments in this neighborhood 6 years ago, and it was an Italian pasta/pizza spot...With a kitchen in there, there HAS to be a menu, right?

LoveYourSuit
07-30-2010, 01:29 AM
Just a question for all the bar experts here and also those familiar with the Bridgeport Economy:

How does a place like Hockey Town Cafe survive year round in the middle of Beirut Detroit and we can't have a place similar to that near US Celllular Field?

And please let's not use the proximity to Downtown Detroit, Downtown Detroit is a ghost town.

doublem23
07-30-2010, 02:34 AM
Just a question for all the bar experts here and also those familiar with the Bridgeport Economy:

How does a place like Hockey Town Cafe survive year round in the middle of Beirut Detroit and we can't have a place similar to that near US Celllular Field?

And please let's not use the proximity to Downtown Detroit, Downtown Detroit is a ghost town.

A) This is ridiculous, even for you, LYS. 1 bar. 1 ****ing bar in Detroit is all you can do to poo-poo this new place in Bridgeport? Don't hurt your arm going for this reach.

B) Downtown Detroit is actually busy during the day. OK, you're correct that it is a Ghost-Town in that no one lives there, but weekdays from 9-5 a lot of people actually go to Downtown Detroit and do what they call "their jobs." Have you ever eaten lunch or had dinner somewhere nearby your work? SHOCKINGLY, I am guessing that some people in Detroit may be like you.

C) The dynamics are different between Chicago and Detroit. How many entertainment districts are there in Detroit? Hockeytown is right in the middle of the city's main entertainment district with Comerica, Ford Field, Fox Theatre, etc. all around. Bridgeport, if you haven't noticed, is not a major destination in Chicago, there's the Loop, River North, Rush Street, West Loop, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Lakeview, Hyde Park, Evanston, Oak Park, South Loop, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, Andersonville, North/Clybourn, Boystown, Logan Square, etc. that Bridgeport has to compete with for party-goers, and most of those are within what? A 10-mile radius?

1 bar. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

P.S. Having been to Hockeytown, I can tell you that place sucks anyways. They can keep it.

I would also assume that Hockeytown gets some nice perks from the city of Detroit that help make it as profitable as it seems to be, since, as has been noted, it's one of the few things to actually do in Downtown Detroit. With so little residents nearby, having a raucus little bar like that's not a big deal. Bridgeport, if you haven't noticed, is a primarily residential neighborhood. So the dynamics of setting something like that up would probably be a bit more difficult. I'm sure you'd love it if a bar/grill that was open until 2 AM was plopped down next to your house, but it's a bit presumptuous on your part that everyone in the neighborhood would just welcome such a project in with open arms. Folks who live in Bridgeport already live in Chicago, they have plenty of entertainment options easily available to them either via car or CTA, they're not really hurting without some phony bull**** sports bar like Hockeytown.

Finally, you never know what lies down the road. There very well may be investors interested in putting down a place in Bridgeport near the park, but they're waiting to see how these new, smaller bars in the neighborhood do first. You seem to have this silly idea that if the Sox open a small beer garden and another small, local bar opens a few blocks from the park, that obviously kills any chance of some crappy BWW or whatever from opening up shop in the parking lot. Not true. In the middle of a recession, when the restaurant business is getting creamed, would it really be that surprising if people were being super cautious about opening a new location as kind of a trailblazer?

DumpJerry
07-30-2010, 08:01 AM

I liked Rocky's, Wings and Rings is... OK, and I'm eager to check out Turtles and C&K the next time I'm down at the park, but let's face it, these places ultimately sort of suck. No one is going barhopping in Bridgeport; you realize Wrigleyville is a destination 365 days a year, right?

Come on, do I have to use teal every time??? This post was mocking the "we need 1,000 bars near Comiskey to draw 45 additional fans" crowd (whom I see has posted their displeasure once again that there are not 1,000 bars opening within 500 yards of Gate 6 which is the closest to the Dan Ryan).

Will this place have food options? I remember going to that location while looking for apartments in this neighborhood 6 years ago, and it was an Italian pasta/pizza spot...With a kitchen in there, there HAS to be a menu, right?
When there is a gut rehab, something that is usually done under these circumstances, the interior is 100% different. It may or it may not have a kitchen. Depends on the license.

ilsox7
07-30-2010, 08:04 AM
I would think a place with GRILL in its name would have food.

DumpJerry
07-30-2010, 08:17 AM
I would think a place with GRILL in its name would have food.
Nope. It refers to the beer garden. On the super hot days we are experiencing this summer, it will feel like you're in a grill while sipping a cold one.

TomBradley72
07-30-2010, 08:22 AM

They can still be good bars (not "suck") even if they don't fit someone's idea of a barhopping destination. I can't agree with Wrigleyville being a great "destination" 365 days/year....it's a decent area for music/nightlife...but I think it's overrated.

DumpJerry
07-30-2010, 08:33 AM
They can still be good bars (not "suck") even if they don't fit someone's idea of a barhopping destination. I can't agree with Wrigleyville being a great "destination" 365 days/year....it's a decent area for music/nightlife...but I think it's overrated.
Not to mention a place where it is impossible to find legal street parking even when on days when the Cubs aren't playing. Well, I should say on days the Cubs' opponents are playing (I asked some of my Cub fan friends about this and they tell me the Cubs have not actually played a baseball game in about three years).

When the Sox don't have a home game, street legal parking is not a problem in the area.

soxfan43
07-30-2010, 08:38 AM

Whether you personally love or hate wrigleyville or the wrigleyfille people, you can't deny it's a destination 365 days a year for bar hopping for the young crowd. Tons of bars all within walking distance from each other and tons of young people living near them definitely make them a great destination for drinking 365 days a year. The bars are always packed too.

As far as Cork and Kerry, Turtles, the new Beer Garden, etc, I'm all for it. Gives people more options to hang out before the game, especially if you work til 5 in the loop and the game's not til 7ish. Bridgeport is not or will not ever turn into to Wrigleyville, I don't know why people think it will every time a bar opens there.

doublem23
07-30-2010, 08:40 AM

OK, I was basing that just on the number of people that are there everynight. I don't really like to hang out there, either, but I that doesn't mean it's not a place others flock to.

beasly213
07-30-2010, 10:01 AM

You have not lived until you have done a Bridgeport Bar Crawl. :gulp:

dickallen15
07-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Whether you personally love or hate wrigleyville or the wrigleyfille people, you can't deny it's a destination 365 days a year for bar hopping for the young crowd. Tons of bars all within walking distance from each other and tons of young people living near them definitely make them a great destination for drinking 365 days a year. The bars are always packed too.

As far as Cork and Kerry, Turtles, the new Beer Garden, etc, I'm all for it. Gives people more options to hang out before the game, especially if you work til 5 in the loop and the game's not til 7ish. Bridgeport is not or will not ever turn into to Wrigleyville, I don't know why people think it will every time a bar opens there.

That's the key. There are a lot more people that live within 2 miles of Wrigley Field than live within 2 miles of USCF. The neighborhood around USCF couldn't support a scene like that, even if they really wanted it which from what all I have read, they do not.

hawkjt
07-30-2010, 10:59 AM
This does make sense...both bars are within easy walking distance of the north el entrance on 33rd. When I entertain out of towners we can walk over pre and post game and get a beer at both places. Maybe include Rockys in the loop. Do not need a big scene,but with over 2.5 million attending Sox games, should be able to support two smallish bars.

SOXfnNlansing
07-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Maybe one of these bars could be considered for the WSI annual Christmas party hot spot.

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Maybe one of these bars could be considered for the WSI annual Christmas party hot spot.
I'd totally be for that! Have a view of the ballpark AND possibly walk to the event! That would be neat.

roylestillman
07-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm getting a laugh over the title of the thread "another bar opening by Cork and Kerry." Great Chicagoese expression, as in "over by me." I originally thought the owners of Cork and Kerry were opening another bar.

...Now where did I put my gratchky.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm getting a laugh over the title of the thread "another bar opening by Cork and Kerry." Great Chicagoese expression, as in "over by me." I originally thought the owners of Cork and Kerry were opening another bar.

...Now where did I put my gratchky.

I'm runnin' to the Jewels later for some paap too; do you wanna go wit' me, or whaat?

TomBradley72
07-30-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm runnin' to the Jewels later for some paap too; do you wanna go wit' me, or whaat?

Only if you can "borrow me" some money.

beasly213
07-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Only if you can "borrow me" some money.

So you can afford to check out a Bears game at Soliders Field?