PDA

View Full Version : White Sox considering Berkman

tm1119
07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm on my phone so I can't link, but mlbtraderumors.com is reporting that Olney is saying we are now exploring a Berkman deal that Dunn fell through.

Wouldn't mind it at all depending on the price obviously. Berkman is obviously a better hitter than his numbers show this season. Maybe a change if scenary to a winning team and better lineup will wake him up. The Haren and Oswalt deals were both pretty underwhelming in terms if the prospect talent traded. Perhaps we could get Berkman without giving up Hudson.

october23sp
07-29-2010, 07:41 PM
:chunks

Tragg
07-29-2010, 07:43 PM
. Perhaps we could get Berkman without giving up Hudson.
We should get off a lot easier than that.
This is several grades below Dunn, whose price is essentially 2 Hudsons. (and we don't want to pay that).
Very good player, but in decline, having a bad year which may indicate sharp decline. But I think he can still hit a little.

ghostface36
07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
berkman for torres and another aa prospect

Dibbs
07-29-2010, 07:48 PM
:chunks

Yes! I would puke out of joy too! So are you saying you wouldn't add a guy, who despite having a current career low .808 OPS, would still rank 4th in OPS among our regulars. Behind only Konerko, Rios and barely Quentin. He would be a huge lift, and would make Kotsay expendable. That's a double bonus.

Sign me up.

oeo
07-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Yes! I would puke out of joy too! So are you saying you wouldn't add a guy, who despite having a current career low .808 OPS, would still rank 4th in OPS among our regulars. Behind only Konerko, Rios and barely Quentin. He would be a huge lift, and would make Kotsay expendable. That's a double bonus.

Sign me up.

.194/.357/.343 on the road. Yikes.

Dibbs
07-29-2010, 07:55 PM

Well luckily US Cellular is just about the best hitting park in the league. So, we shouldn't have a problem there. Maybe sticking with Kotsay is the way to go.

ghostface36
07-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Sign me up.
yup
he is a good cheap (player wise) rental who can provide power and has a 117 ops+
big question is health

oeo
07-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Well luckily US Cellular is just about the best hitting park in the league. So, we shouldn't have a problem there. Maybe sticking with Kotsay is the way to go.

I don't think it's the road parks that are the problem, it's that he feel comfortable at home. Doesn't Berkman like using that short porch in LF at Minute Maid?

And no, The Cell is not 'just about the best hitting park in the league.' Great for dingers in the hot weather, that's about it.

Obviously, if the price is right and Kenny thinks this is the best option, go ahead and do it, but you're a bit overexcited. I wouldn't expect a whole lot from Berkman.

Dibbs
07-29-2010, 07:58 PM

Not to mention that .357 OBP would rank third on our team behind Konerko (.373) and Rios (.359).

Sign me up.

TheCQExperience
07-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Berkman has been bad this season, but I think part of it is due to playing for the Astros. From everything that I've heard, the clubhouse atmosphere down there is absolutely toxic right now as many players have simply called it quits. Maybe he just needs something good to jump start him?

oeo
07-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Not to mention that .357 OBP would rank third on our team behind Konerko (.373) and Rios (.359).

Sign me up.

Yeah, getting on base at a good clip and hitting the ball about as hard as Kotsay.

chunk
07-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Berkman has been bad this season, but I think part of it is due to playing for the Astros. From everything that I've heard, the clubhouse atmosphere down there is absolutely toxic right now as many players have simply called it quits. Maybe he just needs something good to jump start him?

Nah, it's his bum knee screwing up his swing and conditioning.

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2010, 08:31 PM

What was the reason for him sucking at the beginning of the year? I find it hard to believe the clubhouse was toxic from day 1.

ghostface36
07-29-2010, 08:32 PM
he isn't playing bad, just not like himself im sure coming to chicago in a race with ozzie as the manager may make things a bit different

Dibbs
07-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah, getting on base at a good clip and hitting the ball about as hard as Kotsay.

No offense, but you are clueless mentioning Kotsay and Berkman in the same sentence.

TomBradley72
07-29-2010, 09:38 PM

We have a AA prospect?

tm1119
07-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Berkman makes makes 14.5M this year and his buyout for next season is 2M. So if the Astros were to pay him for the rest of this season and then buyout him out after this year it would cost them somewhere around 5M total(im no math major so thats very rough). If we were to pay that whole bill I would imagine that Berkman would come fairly cheap in terms of prospects. If we can get Berkman without giving up Hudson, Dayan, Mitchell, Morel, or Flowers I think KW would have to do it. They can have whatever they want after that as far as Im concerned. Berkman is a for sure difference maker when healthy and motivated.

07-29-2010, 10:08 PM

Torres was removed from his start tonight after only 75 pitches through 5 innings. Hmmm...

ghostface36
07-29-2010, 10:09 PM
We have a AA prospect?
idk
idk about the white sox minor league squads too much to be honest i figured we have atleast 2 triple A prospects that are very good and probably between single and double A i figured like 4-5 MLB players or atleast have potential to be traded
i may be horribly wrong though

tm1119
07-29-2010, 10:16 PM
idk
idk about the white sox minor league squads too much to be honest i figured we have atleast 2 triple A prospects that are very good and probably between single and double A i figured like 4-5 MLB players or atleast have potential to be traded
i may be horribly wrong though

Unfortunately you are. We are probably in the bottom 5 of the MLB in terms of minor league talent. We have about 6 or 7 good(none that are great) prospects that are all fairly close to MLB ready. After that its a bunch of marginal talent in single A.

Baron
07-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Torres was removed from his start tonight after only 75 pitches through 5 innings. Hmmm...

All scoreless innings to...

ZombieRob
07-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Wait a minute. People don't want Berkman based on 1 year, in a decline? How many down years did Konerko have? And look at him now? Berkman Konerko around the same age. Rios almost got ran out of town by Sox fans, and how young is he?

Rockabilly
07-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Flowers and Danks was held out of the lineup tonight.

PhillipsBubba
07-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Berkman would be a nice addition...this would also allow them to trade for a pitcher...perhaps Ted Lilly...

SOXSINCE'70
07-29-2010, 11:39 PM
How many down years did Konerko have?

2003.He ****ed up his foot in the 2002 HR hitting contest in the ASG.The injury screwed up his second half of 2002 as well as the 2003 season, IIRC.

DirtySox
07-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Flowers and Danks was held out of the lineup tonight.

Danks played. Flowers gets plenty of days off. I wouldn't read anything into it.

ZombieRob
07-29-2010, 11:44 PM
2003.He ****ed up his foot in the 2002 HR hitting contest in the ASG.The injury screwed up his second half of 2002 as well as the 2003 season, IIRC.
He's had some mediocre years for himself since than. Nothing to write home about.

Zisk77
07-29-2010, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't attribute Berkman's decline to anything besides a knee injury. I would expect him to be better if he came here as he wouldn't have to play in the field just DH.

I think he could have great upside and not cost us much in prospects/suspects. And maybe we could also add a starter. Would love Marcum if he is healthy.

oeo
07-29-2010, 11:47 PM
No offense, but you are clueless mentioning Kotsay and Berkman in the same sentence.

No offense, and then you say something offensive. Nice.

Hmm...look at the numbers. Berkman on the road hasn't been any better than Kotsay. Do you disagree with that? Why, because he's taken more walks?

Sign me up.

A. Cavatica
07-29-2010, 11:50 PM
I think I would rather see us get Berkman than Dunn, assuming we don't have to give up Hudson to get Berkman. Viciedo for Berkman?

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2010, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't attribute Berkman's decline to anything besides a knee injury. I would expect him to be better if he came here as he wouldn't have to play in the field just DH.

I think he could have great upside and not cost us much in prospects/suspects. And maybe we could also add a starter. Would love Marcum if he is healthy.

I wish I shared your optimism on Berkman. He's been bad for two years in a row now. I don't see his knee magically improving. He's playing 1B right now which isn't exacltly a physically demanding position. His bat looks slow. He almost reminds me of Griffey back in 2008.

Rockabilly
07-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Angels have decided not to trade Abreu. Damn he would've been great in our line-up.

canOcorn
07-29-2010, 11:55 PM
I think I would rather see us get Berkman than Dunn, assuming we don't have to give up Hudson to get Berkman. Viciedo for Berkman?

I think we would only need to give up Viciedo for Berkman if the Astros picked up almost all the remaining money due Lance. I think it's a "B" prospect, at best, if we're left with the money obligation.

I will say that I have no problem giving up Dayan or Tyler because they're both going to end up as a DH/1B and tCQ should be our DH of the future anyway.

tm1119
07-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Angels have decided not to trade Abreu. Damn he would've been great in our line-up.

Hes guaranteed 9M next year and his option for '12 is a vesting 1, not team. Im pretty sure he was never even an option for that kind of money. Guys like Dunn and Berkman are pure rentals that we wouldnt have to expand the payroll for.

NLaloosh
07-30-2010, 12:13 AM
I'd give up John Ely and Jon Link for Berkman.

Oh wait, we had to give them up to get Juan Pierre because so many teams wanted him.

Dibbs
07-30-2010, 12:54 AM
No offense, and then you say something offensive. Nice.

Hmm...look at the numbers. Berkman on the road hasn't been any better than Kotsay. Do you disagree with that? Why, because he's taken more walks?

Sign me up.

So you don't want Berkman because he has had a down year on the road during the first half of one season? :scratch: Even with his struggles, he is putting up better numbers than 6 of the nine White Sox regulars. He is one of the best hitters in all of baseball over this past decade. I would gladly take him in our lineup. He would be a huge addition for this team.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 01:04 AM
You can't dismiss Berkman's bad year as a fluke when it is coming off a significant injury. It's a major concern. His batspeed is considerably down too which is a major red flag. Berkman was a monster as recently as 2008 and had a decent 2009 after starting very slow, but he's had a significant injury at an advanced stage in his career. Ever since Bud started testing for ceretain items, players have tended to recover less from these types of things.

Dibbs
07-30-2010, 01:11 AM
You can't dismiss Berkman's bad year as a fluke when it is coming off a significant injury. It's a major concern. His batspeed is considerably down too which is a major red flag. Berkman was a monster as recently as 2008 and had a decent 2009 after starting very slow, but he's had a significant injury at an advanced stage in his career. Ever since Bud started testing for ceretain items, players have tended to recover less from these types of things.

Yeah, I don't think we would get top 5 MVP candidate Lance Berkman like he has been most of his years in the league. However, he would still be one of the better hitters on the Sox right now. He would definitely help this team. This "bad" 2009 year you mentioned a couple times would be many players career year. He was 11th in the NL in 2009 with a .907 OPS. If we didn't have to give up a lot to get him, this would be a wonderful move that could put us in serious contention.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I don't think we would get top 5 MVP candidate Lance Berkman like he has been most of his years in the league. However, he would still be one of the better hitters on the Sox right now. He would definitely help this team. This "bad" 2009 year you mentioned a couple times would be many players career year. He was 11th in the NL in 2009 with a .907 OPS. If we didn't have to give up a lot to get him, this would be a wonderful move that could put us in serious contention.

If the bold point holds, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him as he is still not too old and has talent (and has been a bit better of late). I'm not sure I'd want to even give up Viciedo for him though, again just since he hasn't shown me he's fully recovered from his injury.

hawkjt
07-30-2010, 01:45 AM
I would not want to give up more than a Torres type prospect for Berkman,but if we can get him for that, I would be fine. A switch-hitter,a vet who has been thru pennant races and playoffs, as a DH he could stay off his knee more. He has basically stunk all year,but in July his ops is .900 according to Olney. He is a patient hitter who does get on base. Worth a look.

sox1970
07-30-2010, 11:11 AM
http://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/19915991286

khan
07-30-2010, 12:40 PM
So the Astros acquired Brett Wallace, a 1B who is supposedly "ready now" in the Oswalt trade.

Does this then make Berkman more "available?"

I just don't believe the Edwin Jackson rumor.

tm1119
07-30-2010, 03:51 PM
So the Astros acquired Brett Wallace, a 1B who is supposedly "ready now" in the Oswalt trade.

Yes on the 1st 2 accounts. Wallace is surely a ready now prospect(.300 avg and 18hrs in AAA), and Im sure the Astros wouldnt mind letting him get his feet wet in the majors soon so hes ready for next year. And yes, Berkman has to be more available. Acquiring Wallace all but assured that they will buy out Berkman after his year rather than paying him 15 mil next year. Berkman is still owed about 3mil for this year and his buyout is 2mil. Im sure they would love to save that 5mil, and if we were willing to pay all of it we wouldnt have to give up much. Im guessing Morel and a B pitching prospect would be the worst case scenario, which I would be fine with. Lets hope KW can work something along those lines out so we can keep Jackson. Having him as our 5th starter next year is actually pretty encouraging.

DirtySox
07-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Hearing Berkman deal from #Astros (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Astros) to #Yankees (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Yankees) is on verge of completion 4 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/19938898735) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/) Retweeted by 30 people

Marqhead
07-30-2010, 05:07 PM

EDIT: I don't know what I'm talking about.

I see now that it was a secondary swap. Wallace is basically MLB ready and was probably going to take Overbay's spot this year anyways.

russ99
07-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Hearing Berkman deal from #Astros (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Astros) to #Yankees (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Yankees) is on verge of completion 4 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/19938898735) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/) Retweeted by 30 people

Good deal. I wonder who the Astros are getting back...

The albatross contracts are off their backs, except for Lee's, who's probably going to stay there. I read that with Berkman gone, the Astros will be down to $67M payroll with about a third of that going to El Caballo.

ZombieRob
07-30-2010, 05:08 PM
My disgust for the Yankees just grows more and more.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Glad the Yankees are saving us from ourselves.

Slappy
07-30-2010, 06:05 PM
No kidding. Yuck. So how much pt is Berkman looking at?

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Deal is done but won't be officialy until tomorrow due to 10/5 rights or something.

http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/19942928050

chisox616
07-30-2010, 06:52 PM
We couldn't get Berkman? Dang. I don't want Dunn. I mean, I'd take him in a heartbeat as a FA, but right now we're gonna give up too much to get him. If we're going with career NL power bats, I'd rather get Berkman on the cheap than give up too much for a guy who might not hit as well in the AL.

No matter now. :\

sox1970
07-30-2010, 07:22 PM
http://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/19947130744

A. Cavatica
07-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Maybe Dunn was Plan B -- higher price.

getonbckthr
07-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Lance Berkman can go **** himself.

gr8mexico
07-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Why?
The guy had 2 options The White Sox or The Yankees.
I'm not saying the White Sox wont win it all but I'm sure he was thinking that the Yankees had a better chance of winning it all.

theamb
07-30-2010, 07:56 PM
We couldn't get Berkman? Dang. I don't want Dunn. I mean, I'd take him in a heartbeat as a FA, but right now we're gonna give up too much to get him. If we're going with career NL power bats, I'd rather get Berkman on the cheap than give up too much for a guy who might not hit as well in the AL.

No matter now. :\

More like Berkman vetoed the Sox

And if it was between us and the Yankees, I can understand why.

A. Cavatica
07-30-2010, 08:53 PM

I agree.

We should have a **** You Lance Berkman thread.

How'd you like the World Series, Berkman?

oeo
07-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Why?
The guy had 2 options The White Sox or The Yankees.
I'm not saying the White Sox wont win it all but I'm sure he was thinking that the Yankees had a better chance of winning it all.

I don't think the Yankees were an option at the time. That was the Astros Plan B after he vetoed the Sox deal. At least that's the way it seems.

A. Cavatica
07-30-2010, 09:44 PM
I don't think the Yankees were an option at the time. That was the Astros Plan B after he vetoed the Sox deal. At least that's the way it seems.

Well, sure. The Yankees got the Astros to pay a good chunk of the salary and only gave up a couple of fringe prospects. It's less than what they paid for Swisher last year, and we know that was crap.

theamb
07-30-2010, 09:47 PM
I agree.

We should have a **** You Lance Berkman thread.

How'd you like the World Series, Berkman?

I bet he recalls Craig Biggio's wife gettting slapped in game 2.

Domeshot17
07-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Can you blame him?

Team A is fighting for top spot in a very weak division, lost its best pitcher for the season and isn't really a world series contender. The Manager has a reputation of being tough to get along with and there is zero chance for the option to be picked up next year.

Team B is the best in baseball, gives you the best chance to win a world series, has so much money picking up the option is still possible, you don't have to go be the guy or looked at as the savior and they have a guy with a rep as a players manager.

I think the thing with Biggio's wife was huge too. Oswalt ruled the White Sox out right away as well.

hi im skot
07-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Can you blame him?

Team A is fighting for top spot in a very weak division, lost its best pitcher for the season and isn't really a world series contender. The Manager has a reputation of being tough to get along with and there is zero chance for the option to be picked up next year.

While I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, I really don't buy this, unless Sean Tracey and Brian Anderson have a lot of friends around the league.

Domeshot17
07-30-2010, 11:13 PM
While I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, I really don't buy this, unless Sean Tracey and Brian Anderson have a lot of friends around the league.

Ozzie has that rep, it is undeniable. It was a big concern for Peavy. Recently ESPN surveyed like 200 mlb players, and Ozzie was the manager they least wanted to play for (was in ESPN the magazine a month or 2 ago). It may not be fair since many haven't played for him, but that IS his reputation.

oeo
07-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Can you blame him?

Team B is the best in baseball, gives you the best chance to win a world series, has so much money picking up the option is still possible, you don't have to go be the guy or looked at as the savior and they have a guy with a rep as a players manager.

I think the thing with Biggio's wife was huge too. Oswalt ruled the White Sox out right away as well.

Where did the idea come from that Berkman was given choice A and choice B? That would be terrible business by the Astros. They would have picked the deal they wanted and presented it to him, and if he vetoed, gone to the next option.

Oswalt ruled out a lot of teams, including the Phillies, and where is he right now? Some of you pick up and run with things, it's quite funny.

The Immigrant
07-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I think the thing with Biggio's wife was huge too.

:rolling:

I'm sure that's EXACTLY what Fat Elvis had on his mind.

Domeshot17
07-30-2010, 11:48 PM
If my friends wife got jumped by a group of people, I would probably want to avoid it as well.

Im not saying this was the deciding factor, I am saying they all were factors. And they did not have to give Berkman a choice, he gave himself choices. He knew who was in on him, and if he didn't go where he wanted he didn't have to leave.

Players keep ruling out the Sox or turning deals down to us. I know we want to act like its no big deal, but it is. It really is not good.

oeo
07-31-2010, 12:23 AM
Im not saying this was the deciding factor, I am saying they all were factors. And they did not have to give Berkman a choice, he gave himself choices. He knew who was in on him, and if he didn't go where he wanted he didn't have to leave.

How did he know unless the Astros gave him the choices? If you're going by rumors, there was nothing around Berkman. In fact, last night, it didn't even appear he was going anywhere by the deadline because teams were not sure what to expect from him.

I can almost guarantee the Sox had a better deal than that pile of dog **** the Astros got. When Kenny goes in, he goes all in.

hi im skot
07-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Players keep ruling out the Sox or turning deals down to us. I know we want to act like its no big deal, but it is. It really is not good.

OK, so Berkman vetoed it, and Peavy vetoed a trade to the Sox the first time. Who else (recently) nixed a deal to the Sox?

It really seems like a non-issue to me. :shrug:

spawn
07-31-2010, 12:33 AM
OK, so Berkman vetoed it, and Peavy vetoed a trade to the Sox the first time. Who else (recently) nixed a deal to the Sox?

It really seems like a non-issue to me. :shrug:
Oswalt said he'd veto a trade to the Sox when it was rumored the Sox were trying to get him. Two Astros said no and Peavy did...but changed his mind. You're right. It is a non-issue.

oeo
07-31-2010, 01:06 AM
If my friends wife got jumped by a group of people, I would probably want to avoid it as well.

How are you going to avoid it? There are bad people all over the place. If he's worried about ****ty people, why would he take his wife to New York? You're making this a bigger issue than it is because it's not one. If these players are going to connect the Chicago White Sox with this incident, they're idiots who live a sheltered life apparently (not sure how you could do that as a baseball player).

Oswalt said he'd veto a trade to the Sox when it was rumored the Sox were trying to get him. Two Astros said no and Peavy did...but changed his mind. You're right. It is a non-issue.

And once again, he apparently said he would veto a trade to the Phillies as well (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/roy-oswalt-deal-looking-unlikely-72610). His choices ran out (probably because he was naming just about every team out there), and he changed his mind.

doublem23
07-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Dear Lance Berkman,

You're a ****ing *****.

Sincerely,

**** you

Domeshot17
07-31-2010, 02:13 AM
Have a friend who runs a scouting website with some of the ESPN guys, he talked to a couple Astros scouts today and he told me this:

"2005 world series thing didn't have much to do with it but none of those guys forgot about that...that stuff just doesn't happen, a players wife smacked around. The good thing is, it wasn't a team fear, the Sox front office handled that situation very well"

"Bottom line was it came down to winning a ring. Berkman is really really upset over this situation. Hes put his entire career into winning in Houston, and he knows there is no shot. He didn't want to leave for a marginal chance to win a ring, he wanted the surest thing he could get. The Astros have known for 3 days the Yanks White Sox and a 3rd team (TB the scout thinks) have been really following Berkman, and he made it clear early that the Yanks were his choice, and he wants to eventually return and retire in Houston."

He also told me

"If Jake Peavy was healthy, 100% healthy, and pitching and dominating like his starts before he went down, Berkman is in Chicago"

These are just scouts from Houston, so who knows, but just found it interesting.

Sam Spade
07-31-2010, 02:21 AM
Getting way ahead of myself, but hopefully the sox knock the him right out of the playoffs.

doublem23
07-31-2010, 02:24 AM
Getting way ahead of myself, but hopefully the sox knock the him right out of the playoffs.

That'd be sweet. Mail him a picture of the two rings side by side.

Domeshot17
07-31-2010, 02:25 AM

I 100% agree, but I get it. We tried to do this for Thome last year, and we sent him to a fringe team in the Dodgers. I don't blame Berkman, but I won't be rooting for him either.