PDA

View Full Version : Will a trade get done?

october23sp
07-29-2010, 06:09 PM
I mean any type of trade involving someone that would play on our 25 man roster?

Hitmen77
07-29-2010, 06:27 PM
I voted no...but actually I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox make a minor move that affects our 25 man roster.

october23sp
07-29-2010, 06:28 PM
I had to go yes, I believe Kenny is goin under the radar again.

ghostface36
07-29-2010, 06:35 PM
yes i think there will be

WhiteSox5187
07-29-2010, 06:48 PM
I think there is going to be some sort of move but I think it is going to be a small move along the lines of the Geoff Blum acquisition.

sox1970
07-29-2010, 07:02 PM
It's Kenny Williams. Of course he'll make a deal.

NLaloosh
07-30-2010, 12:21 AM
It's Kenny freakin' Williams! There's gonna be a deal done and it'll be a big one!

Probably Arod from the Yankees to the Sox. The Sox give up Viciedo, Danks, Morel, Flowers, Teahen and Steve Stone. The Sox throw in the Fundamentals area, the statue of Minnie Minoso and the rights to all of Roger Bossard's great grand-children - along with one all-you-can-eat at any restaurant in Chinatown.

Noneck
07-30-2010, 12:33 AM
The fans, players and media were told if the Sox were in the hunt, money would be available to make deals. Since that is now the case, someone should be available to help the club. So if it doesn't happen, everyone should want an explanation.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 12:36 AM
The fans, players and media were told if the Sox were in the hunt, money would be available to make deals. Since that is now the case, someone should be available to help the club. So if it doesn't happen, everyone should want an explanation.

I've seen no indication that money is holding up any trades.

Noneck
07-30-2010, 12:37 AM

We will see soon enough.

canOcorn
07-30-2010, 12:41 AM

Sure it is. A sweaty jock could be traded for Berkman if we picked up the salary obligation.

Noneck
07-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Sure it is. A sweaty jock could be traded for Berkman if we picked up the salary obligation.

Agree and Long Green (not Lorne Greene) or Cash (not Norm or Johnny) is always a nice bargaining tool to obtain a player.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 12:49 AM

There's a difference between being cheap, as is being insinuated, and refraining from foolishly throwing money at a bad washed up player, that would still require prospects to get, and possibly crippling your long-term flexibility. Last I checked, Houston didn't put Berkman on waivers either so he can't be had for free.

I love how people claim a player is valuable and then in the next sentence say a team will literally just give them away. Teams don't usually do that.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 12:52 AM
By all accounts the Sox are going balls to the wall to try to bring in Dunn, who isn't exactly cheap. The diffrerence between him and Berkman is that he can actually play.

If the Sox were being cheap, they wouldn't even entertain Dunn.

Noneck
07-30-2010, 01:06 AM
If the Sox were being cheap, they wouldn't even entertain Dunn.
Dating and marrying are two different things.

UofCSoxFan
07-30-2010, 01:12 AM
Dating and marrying are two different things.

I'm not going to argue that the Sox aren't a cheap organization because people that have that bias won't shake it. People were arguing it when the Sox had the 4th highest payroll in baseball in 2006. If you want to root for a team that throws bad money at players irresponsibly just to "always get their guy no matter what the cost" there's a team exactly like that in this same town. They also happen to owe a AAA pitcher 18.5 million next year, a 4th OF $13.5 million, a 3rd basemen who is struggling to maintain the Mendoza line $14.5 million next year, and a LF that can't field or really hit about $60 million over the next 3 years.

Again, if the Sox don't trade for Dunn it is because, like even the Yankees, they don't want to trade two top prospects for a 2 month rental. It is not because they don't want to pay Dunn. If they don't trade for Berkman, its because they don't want to trade for a guy that's hitting .245 on the year, hitting .194 away from his hitter's park, and is coming off a major injury, not because they don't want to pay him this year. Of course, they many not be keen on paying that same player $10 million next year...but that's called smart allocation of resources, not the same as being cheap. It's not that subtle of a difference and I'm shocked people don't understand it.

They may or may not trade of either one of these guys...but if they stand pat it's not because they want to save money. It's because they would feel they would not be getting a favorable deal in terms of players they'd have to give up or salary they'd have to commit.

RadioheadRocks
07-30-2010, 01:14 AM
Two words... Geoff Blum.

Hey, it worked for us once! :D: (injury due to putting on shirt notwithstanding!!!)

Noneck
07-30-2010, 01:17 AM
As I initially posted, Time will tell the tale.

canOcorn
07-30-2010, 01:19 AM
There's a difference between being cheap, as is being insinuated, and refraining from foolishly throwing money at a bad washed up player, that would still require prospects to get, and possibly crippling your long-term flexibility. Last I checked, Houston didn't put Berkman on waivers either so he can't be had for free.

I love how people claim a player is valuable and then in the next sentence say a team will literally just give them away. Teams don't usually do that.

I'm not insinuating anything. Berkman can be had for a zero prospect if the the receiving team picks up the tab. And our system cannot be crippled because it's already barren and even if we have Houston pick up the tab on Berkman it shouldn't cost us Hudson. My point is Berkman shouldn't cost us much whether we kick in a prospect or not.

VMSNS
07-30-2010, 01:36 AM
IMO, the White Sox NEED to make some kind of trade, whether it be for a starter or extra bat. We cannot go into the playoffs with Mark Kotsay at DH. And, if one of our starters goes down with an injury (Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Garcia), then you can stick a fork in this team because we would be pretty much done.

The Rangers (who I see as a direct competitor to us), Twins (our Central rivals), and Phillies (who we could face in the playoffs) just made rather significant upgrades to their rosters via Oswalt, Cantu, Capps, and Lee. It's time to play ball, Kenny.

So, yes. Not only do I think a trade needs to happen, but I think one will happen in the next two days. After all, Kenny got us Peavy last season, and we weren't even that good. This team is much better than last season's club, and Kenny obviously sees that.

october23sp
07-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Done. Dunn?