PDA

View Full Version : You're the "baseball insider"

doublem23
07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Start proposing trades that make sense!!!

... and some that don't

kittle42
07-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Wait - haven't 80% of the threads in the last 3 weeks already done this?

TheCQExperience
07-29-2010, 05:10 PM
I propose that we send prospects to any team that will send us a player who isn't Mark Kotsay or Andruw Jones.

There, that should about cover all the bases.

doublem23
07-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Yeah, but the deadline is less than 24 hours from now. Make up whatever **** you want!

kittle42
07-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Yeah, but the deadline is less than 24 hours from now. Make up whatever **** you want!

Less than 48.

MisterB
07-29-2010, 05:16 PM

Yeah, but he said trades that make sense.

DSpivack
07-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, but he said trades that make sense.

He also said some that don't.

I'll trade Kotsay and Linebrink to Hades for the top 5 SPs of 2066.

tm1119
07-29-2010, 05:23 PM
David Holmberg, Luis Sierra, and Jordan Danks for 1 of Brad Hawpe, Adam Laroche, Kelly Johnson or Luke Scott.

Jon Gilmore and Terry Doyle for Jack Cust

I just want a LH bat that is an upgrade to Kotsay to hit in the middle of the lineup that we dont have to mortgage our future for.

ghostface36
07-29-2010, 05:28 PM
David Holmberg, Luis Sierra, and Jordan Danks for 1 of Brad Hawpe, Adam Laroche, Kelly Johnson or Luke Scott.

i dont think jordan danks is gonna be traded anytime soon
but i agree with you we shouldn't mortgage out future b/c it looks too good

Rockabilly
07-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Tyler Flowers, Santos Rodriguez and Nathan Jones to the Angels for Bobby Abreu.

october23sp
07-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Charlotte Knights for NY Yankees straight up.

Yankees pick up all salaries.

Pablo_Honey
07-29-2010, 05:34 PM

I just want a LH bat that is an upgrade to Kotsay to hit in the middle of the lineup that we dont have to mortgage our future for.
If that's the case, it doesn't make sesne to include Holmberg or Gilmore in any trades. Well, Gilmore I can understand a bit, but Holmberg? The kid has pitchability and if he fills out some more and add a few more velos on his fastball, the kid may be a decent inning eater. Or we could use him in a better trade due to his improved prospect status in that case. I wouldn't give up on Holmberg for a trade just yet.

Anyway, I want to see us dump our lesser prospects like Torres (if you can even call him one), Nunez and Marquez with cash for a cheap rental like Adam Laroche. Anything to get Kotsay out of the lineup without costing us top farmhands.

tm1119
07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
i dont think jordan danks is gonna be traded anytime soon
but i agree with you we shouldn't mortgage out future b/c it looks too good

The only thing that would keep Jordan Danks here is if John makes it a point that having his brother in organization will make him sign for less. Other than that I dont see why he wouldnt get traded. Either way hes not the center piece of any trade anyway.

munchman33
07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Viciedo and Jordon Danks to Cubs for Ted Lilly, followed by Hudson, Flowers, and Morel to Washington for Adam Dunn.

I know, that's a lot for two rentals. But that's the cost, and gives a leg up in the division as well as a shot at advancing in the playoffs.

Pablo_Honey
07-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Viciedo and Jordon Danks to Cubs for Ted Lilly, followed by Hudson, Flowers, and Morel to Washington for Adam Dunn.

I know, that's a lot for two rentals. But that's the cost, and gives a leg up in the division as well as a shot at advancing in the playoffs.
The former is overpaying and the latter is underpaying IMHO.

munchman33
07-29-2010, 05:45 PM
The former is overpaying and the latter is underpaying IMHO.

Take Danks out of the first deal and move him into the second. :cool:

tm1119
07-29-2010, 05:45 PM
If that's the case, it doesn't make sesne to include Holmberg or Gilmore in any trades. Well, Gilmore I can understand a bit, but Holmberg? The kid has pitchability and if he fills out some more and add a few more velos on his fastball, the kid may be a decent inning eater. Or we could use him in a better trade due to his improved prospect status in that case. I wouldn't give up on Holmberg for a trade just yet.

Anyway, I want to see us dump our lesser prospects like Torres (if you can even call him one), Nunez and Marquez with cash for a cheap rental like Adam Laroche. Anything to get Kotsay out of the lineup without costing us top farmhands.

Gilmore is nothing. He is a corner infielder with no power and has 30 errors on the season so far. And Holmberg cant strike guys out in rookie ball. Thats a big concern. Could he be an innings eater? Sure, anybody his age could turn into something, but Im not about to hold onto him just because he has a marginal future.
No one wants Torres or Marquez either. Every team has career minor leaguers just like us. They wont net you anything in a trade. You have to give up guys that are at least young. We're gonna have to at least trade our young fringe prospects like Gilmore, Holmberg, Short, Sierra, Escobar, Danks, Shoemaker, Doyle, and Griffith.

Take any 3 out of that list and give me 1 of Hawpe, Laroche, Kelly Johnson or Luke Scott and Id be very happy.

Pablo_Honey
07-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Take Danks out of the first deal and move him into the second. :cool:
Eh, I'm biased towards Viciedo because I think the kid can hit for decent average and good power although he will need to develop plate discipline. I personally think there's something iffy about Lilly, like a bad feeling Han Solo gets once in a while. Oh and Danks is hot garbage right now. Can't hit, can't walk, can't stop striking out, can't stay healthy...I wish him the best and all but he's turning into a bust right now.

ghostface36
07-29-2010, 05:48 PM
The only thing that would keep Jordan Danks here is if John makes it a point that having his brother in organization will make him sign for less. Other than that I dont see why he wouldnt get traded. Either way hes not the center piece of any trade anyway.
i don't think he is either i just think john would be really pissed to see his brother ( a potential MLB'er for the sox) get traded
im kinda pissed at kenny for not putting together a package for Oswalt seeing that we could probably get him for tank and hudson

Pablo_Honey
07-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Gilmore is nothing. He is a corner infielder with no power and has 30 errors on the season so far. And Holmberg cant strike guys out in rookie ball. Thats a big concern. Could he be an innings eater? Sure, anybody his age could turn into something, but Im not about to hold onto him just because he has a marginal future.
Gilmore is only 21. His power may come but yeah he's still not looking all that promising even in his best year so far which is why I said I can understand why you would want to trade him. On second thought, you are right. He's garbage. Having said that, I don't agree with your opinion about Holmberg. He is only 18 and he struck out 26 in 38 innings this year. Nothing to write home about but it's not bad at all. Last year he struck out 37 in 40 so he can strike out his fair share of guys. I know I'll get flamed for bringing this up, but Porcello didn't strike out that many guys at all down in the minors and he did fine in his rookie year. In fact, IIRC Porcello pitched to contact to preserve his arm. Anyway, I have a bit of hope for Holmberg and I think it's premature to trade him.

No one wants Torres or Marquez either. Every team has career minor leaguers just like us. They wont net you anything in a trade. You have to give up guys that are at least young. We're gonna have to at least trade our young fringe prospects like Gilmore, Holmberg, Short, Sierra, Escobar, Danks, Shoemaker, Doyle, and Griffith.
True, but a cheap rental shouldn't cost us too much in terms of prospects especially if the Sox is willing to throw in some cash (doubtful but it's a possibility). We were able to acquire Pierre with Ely and Link. I think Kenny could nab an okay bat with older marginal players.

munchman33
07-29-2010, 06:18 PM
My surprise possibility no one's talking about I can see happening - we trade for Mark Reynolds.

Tragg
07-29-2010, 06:28 PM

I know I never like these trades, but do Hawpe, Laroche, Luke Scott and Jack Cust actually garner B level prospects? These guys are flawed players in good years and most are having bad years. I don't see it.

gr8mexico
07-29-2010, 06:31 PM
White Sox Trade Mark Teahen, Jordan Danks and a prospect
for
Cubs Aramis Ramirez and cash
Ramirez had a bad April and May
but hit .265AVG in June and .316AVG in July
and see if they can get Lance Berkman and cash for Tyler Flowers,Brent Morel and a low prospect
LF Juan Pierre
SS Alexei Ramirez
DH/1B Lance Berkman
CF Alex Rios
RF Carlos Quentin
1B Paul Konerko
3B Aramis Ramirez
C A.J
2B Gordon Beckham

tm1119
07-29-2010, 06:58 PM
I know I never like these trades, but do Hawpe, Laroche, Luke Scott and Jack Cust actually garner B level prospects? These guys are flawed players in good years and most are having bad years. I don't see it.

I hear you that those guys are certainly flawed, but what exactly do you consider a C prospect? I mean we have to trade something that the other team wants. A warm body isn't worth their time. We should flip guys like Short, Gilmore,and Sierra now while they are having good seasons. They fall off next year and they become yet another 26 year old in our system. Retherford is a prime example of a guy we should have sold high on. Not that he had much value but we could have gotten something for him.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Carlos Torres for Jason Giambi

Edit: Or wait for August 15 and PTBNL for Giambi

DSpivack
07-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Carlos Torres for Jason Giambi

Edit: Or wait for August 15 and PTBNL for Giambi

Keep that cheater far, far away.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2010, 08:26 PM
I want to improve the ballclub. If people will open their arms for Brett Myers, please God let them accept Giambi.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we kick the tires on Aaron Cook. Could be a good fit.

Rockabilly
07-29-2010, 08:28 PM
I want to improve the ballclub. If people will open their arms for Brett Myers, please God let them accept Giambi.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we kick the tires on Aaron Cook. Could be a good fit.

I like the idea of Giambi.. He brings a lot of playoff experience with him

DSpivack
07-29-2010, 08:36 PM
I like the idea of Giambi.. He brings a lot of playoff experience with him

I'll say no to a guy who stole an MVP award from the Big Hurt.

soxfanreggie
07-29-2010, 08:39 PM
With Lilly being gone after this season, I'm surprised the Cubs have yet to deal him. The team owes him $2 million on the season, so they probably will have an opportunity to get a prospect for him and get the money off the books.

SOXSINCE'70
07-30-2010, 08:09 AM
I'll trade Kotsay and Linebrink to Hades for the top 5 SPs of 2066.

I'll trade them both for the ghosts of Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris.:D:

SOXSINCE'70
07-30-2010, 08:11 AM
I'll say no to a guy who stole an MVP award from the Big Hurt.

That makes two of us.

Corlose 15
07-30-2010, 08:18 AM
What the Sox need to do is bring in some ringers. They could give them token jobs as the Cell and have them play on their baseball team. Honus Wagner, Cap Anson, Mordecai "3 finger" Brown!

areilly
07-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Cubs send Carlos Zambrano, Ted Lilly, plus half the money still owed Zambrano to the Twins for four prospects. I'm not saying I would like it if this happened, but I think all involved would benefit from it.