PDA

View Full Version : Saving Money at Sox Games

SoxThunder
07-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to save money when going to Sox games? Right now, I go to the half price Monday games ($10 Upper Reserved), park on the street for free and walk to the ballpark, and get my free 20 oz. soda designated driver coupon. Call me cheap, but I need to save some money during these economic times.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Iwritecode
07-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to save money when going to Sox games? Right now, I go to the half price Monday games ($10 Upper Reserved), park on the street for free and walk to the ballpark, and get my free 20 oz. soda designated driver coupon. Call me cheap, but I need to save some money during these economic times.

Other than getting a free ticket or being paid to be there, I don't think you can do much better than you already are.

doublem23
07-29-2010, 01:54 PM
The Sox do allow some outside food and beverages to be brought into the park, though, check the website to get all the correct info on that.

HomeFish
07-29-2010, 01:55 PM
You can often get tickets at a discount from scalpers outside the park.

DSpivack
07-29-2010, 01:58 PM
The Sox do allow some outside food and beverages to be brought into the park, though, check the website to get all the correct info on that.

Beverages probably not [factory-sealed water bottle I'm guessing is fine], but yeah you can definitely bring food into the park. Just bring it in a ziplock bag and be ready to show the security people when going into the park.

doublem23
07-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Beverages probably not [factory-sealed water bottle I'm guessing is fine], but yeah you can definitely bring food into the park. Just bring it in a ziplock bag and be ready to show the security people when going into the park.

I think it only extends to bottled water, but hey, somethign is something.

skobabe8
07-29-2010, 02:00 PM
You're doing a great job so far.

As doub said, bring food and a sealed bottle of water into the game. Any sandwich in a clear bag passes through security no problem.

Mother Butters on Michigan Ave. across the Dan Ryan will give you a free bottle of water, no purchase necessary. I always will buy a bag of popcorn when we stop in (wich is also allowed into the game), but you don't have to buy anything to get the free water.

Rockabilly
07-29-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.yelp.com/topic/chicago-official-2010-chicago-white-sox-discount-thread-tix-and-more

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2010, 02:02 PM
If you want to go to more than just Monday games, see if there are any discount codes for those games (a bunch are posted in the ticket exchange board here). You can always eat before even coming and then bring 1 bottle of water to keep you hydrated.

kittle42
07-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I have started only buying 6 beers instead of the vendor's entire supply when he comes by.

SoxThunder
07-29-2010, 02:35 PM
http://www.yelp.com/topic/chicago-official-2010-chicago-white-sox-discount-thread-tix-and-more

This Yelp website is awesome! I just bought 2 half price tix for Saturday 7/31! ($16 each with fees)

These Ticketmaster codes really work. Thanks everyone!

dwitt76
07-29-2010, 02:56 PM
These codes have been awesome. I am going to 6 games in august :bandance: (2 games against yankees so not completely on the cheap). I usually sit in the upper deck for my motto, cheaper tickets = more games.

GoGoCrede
07-29-2010, 03:07 PM
If you must get a beer, get the one in a cup from a stand, not from a vendor. It's not that much of a saving, but it helps.

Eat before you go, so you won't be as hungry.

ghostface36
07-29-2010, 03:38 PM
drinking BEFORE the game
tailgating of course
stop at any of the fantastic restaurants in chicago's Bridgeport area for example georges where two people can have a meal for under 10 bucks

AnkleSox
07-29-2010, 03:56 PM
These codes have been awesome. I am going to 6 games in august :bandance: (2 games against yankees so not completely on the cheap). I usually sit in the upper deck for my motto, cheaper tickets = more games.

Also, if you get there early, you can get into the bullpen bar with upper deck tickets and try to grab a picnic table by the right field fence. It's only $15 to upgrade to the tables in the upper area. I take advantage of this quite often.

soxlady8
07-29-2010, 04:04 PM
great stuff here ---

I always search for codes here on WSI , there are a few deals from time to time to be had on Stubhub (like an hour before the closing window ), and I get the Junior Hot Dog meal for like $5.25 so I can eat something at the park :)

Where is the location for the free 20oz soda ?
I do not drink alcohol at all so I am always the DD !!

SoxThunder
07-29-2010, 04:27 PM
great stuff here ---

I always search for codes here on WSI , there are a few deals from time to time to be had on Stubhub (like an hour before the closing window ), and I get the Junior Hot Dog meal for like $5.25 so I can eat something at the park :)

Where is the location for the free 20oz soda ?
I do not drink alcohol at all so I am always the DD !!

The designated driver booth is right behind home plate on the 100 level. It is a black desk (not the group ticket sales booth, but right next to it). Just write your name and driver's license number and you'll get a coupon for a free 20 oz. soda or a non-alcoholic beer. I think you have to do this before the 2nd inning.

ChicagoRushFan
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
The DD program in Chicago is nice. In Cincinnati you get a coupon to buy a 1$ O'Douls. Yee ha!

The price of parking is the No. 1 reason I don't go to more games. I'd love to go to 10 or so a year, but I don't know the insider places to park on the street, thus I only go to about two or three games a year. I tried the PACE shuttle earlier this year and they ran out of buses so I had to drive anyway.

I'm of the same mentality though, I rarely get food or drink at the ballpark other than the free DD soda. I use ebay quite a bit for looking for cheap tickets. You can't find as much as you could a few years ago, but you can still find some pretty good deals.

You find better "deals" on Stubhub in other cities than Chicago. But occasionally you can find some cheaper seats near the two hour cutoff. (I just checked and today is not one of those days.)

Streets
07-29-2010, 05:25 PM
I always forget about the free DD pop!

When going to games with my Mom we usually bring in one bottle of water each, can be up to 1 liter, sealed. She'll also bring cashews or something.

When going with friends we sneak in booze or just buy beer.

Much cheaper going with my mom!

soxgirl617
07-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Sign up (for free) for regular emails from www.goldstar.com (http://www.goldstar.com) and www.groupon.com (http://www.groupon.com). I've seen good deals for Sox tickets from both sites. (You'll also get ideas for other events, at reduced prices.)

Brian26
07-29-2010, 07:17 PM

Gene "Cub Killer" K! I love it.

:rolling:

DumpJerry
07-29-2010, 08:37 PM

As doub said, bring food and a sealed bottle of water into the game. Any sandwich in a clear bag passes through security no problem.

Mother Butters on Michigan Ave. across the Dan Ryan will give you a free bottle of water, no purchase necessary. I always will buy a bag of popcorn when we stop in (wich is also allowed into the game), but you don't have to buy anything to get the free water.
Mother Butters is on 35th Street, west of State Street (about three blocks west of Michigan Ave.).

Unopened water bottles are the only drink allowed in.

kaufsox
07-29-2010, 08:40 PM
just today I got a text from the Sox telling me about half price tickets for today's game. I think to get the updates was send a text during a game one time. Also, check out the ticket exchange. Folks don't sell over face (can't actually) and often offer them at great discounts. Two year ago I got four seats on the 300 level for less than $100.

SephClone89
07-29-2010, 10:08 PM

This Yelp website is awesome! I just bought 2 half price tix for Saturday 7/31! ($16 each with fees)

These Ticketmaster codes really work. Thanks everyone!

Gene "Cub Killer" K! I love it.

:rolling:

Just so you all know, ewokpelts is the guy who runs that Yelp thread. There is also a Facebook group, "Secret Sox."

GoGoCrede
07-29-2010, 11:09 PM
I just thought of something - you know how you can bring 25 cups to Waste Management and receive Comiskey Cash or something? I've never tried it, but it sounds pretty win-win. You might want to try that.

pmck003
07-29-2010, 11:31 PM
I usually stick a ball park frank and some peanuts in the zone; no questions have ever been asked.

soxlady8
07-30-2010, 12:30 AM
I went to the game tonight and prior to entering the stadium I was hungry. I stopped at the 35th Street Red Hots (never been before ) and it was awesome. I got a really good dog , home cut fries , and a drink for $4.71 Totally cheaper than the hot dog meal at the park and WAY better too.

I totally forgot about the DD thing though :(

I know this isn't the best deal , but I think it is more worth it to buy the souvenir cup than the bottle of water.

SephClone89
07-30-2010, 12:33 AM
I went to the game tonight and prior to entering the stadium I was hungry. I stopped at the 35th Street Red Hots (never been before ) and it was awesome. I got a really good dog , home cut fries , and a drink for $4.71 Totally cheaper than the hot dog meal at the park and WAY better too.

I totally forgot about the DD thing though :(

I know this isn't the best deal , but I think it is more worth it to buy the souvenir cup than the bottle of water.

35th Street Red Hots is ****ing. Amazing. I go there before every game now. $3 for a dog and fries, and $4 for a double dog and fries. The dogs are "depression" style (like Gene and Jude's) and just awesome. A staple for me these days. I can't get enough.

soxlady8
07-30-2010, 12:42 AM
SephClone ==

I have passed by that place sooo many times.
Matter of fact it is right down the street from the school that I work at .
I have been at my school for ten years and going to Sox games frequently for 6 and never have I even had an interest in going there.

WOW -- I was glad I did.

I normally eat at another place in the area .
The food is good there , but more expensive.

I will be going to 35th St. Red Hots frequently now!

KenBerryGrab
07-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Where exactly is 35th St. Red Hots? Sounds like my kind of place!

SoxThunder
07-30-2010, 12:05 PM
I just thought of something - you know how you can bring 25 cups to Waste Management and receive Comiskey Cash or something? I've never tried it, but it sounds pretty win-win. You might want to try that.

Have you ever seen Brent Lillibridge's Waste Management commercial on the scoreboard at the Cell? He looks so dead and lifeless when he does it.

Funny story: I was in Arizona in March for a few Spring Training games and I saw Lillibridge walking into the dugout and yelled, "Hey Brent! Nice Waste Management Commercial!" He replied, "Man, everyone gives me a hard time about that!"

GoGoCrede
07-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Have you ever seen Brent Lillibridge's Waste Management commercial on the scoreboard at the Cell? He looks so dead and lifeless when he does it.

Funny story: I was in Arizona in March for a few Spring Training games and I saw Lillibridge walking into the dugout and yelled, "Hey Brent! Nice Waste Management Commercial!" He replied, "Man, everyone gives me a hard time about that!"

Yeah, it's hilarious! I like watching his eyes dart back and forth to the teleprompter.

PatK
07-30-2010, 12:18 PM
I try to keep my food and alcohol consumption outside the park. Tailgating.

Although I always have to get elotes fix taken care of inside.

SephClone89
07-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Where exactly is 35th St. Red Hots? Sounds like my kind of place!

It's on 35th about a block west of the tunnel under the tracks. Red and yellow, can't miss it.

skobabe8
07-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Mother Butters is on 35th Street, west of State Street (about three blocks west of Michigan Ave.).

Unopened water bottles are the only drink allowed in.

Stupid brain!

Youre correct.

Gavin
07-30-2010, 03:05 PM
The bag check is pretty lax.

Streets
07-30-2010, 04:44 PM
The bag check is pretty lax.

That depends on the guy checking your bag. I've had my bag patted down entirely. Every compartment.

Sufferin
07-30-2010, 05:08 PM
That depends on the guy checking your bag. I've had my bag patted down entirely. Every compartment.

Sounds to me like he thought you were cute.

DumpJerry
07-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Stupid brain!

Youre correct.
You were excited when you made the post.:smile:

Streets
07-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Sounds to me like he thought you were cute.

Ha! He wasn't patting me down! Just my bag.

soxfanreggie
07-30-2010, 09:31 PM
I always forget about the free DD pop!

When going to games with my Mom we usually bring in one bottle of water each, can be up to 1 liter, sealed. She'll also bring cashews or something.

When going with friends we sneak in booze or just buy beer.

Much cheaper going with my mom!

Some folks I know bring in flasks or those mini alcohol bottles you can find at most liquor stores. They don't save too much though if they get soda pop to mix it with.

I tend to save $$$ having a soda pop before and after out of the cooler and bringing crackers/nuts/pretzels in a ziplock bag.

Araxen
07-30-2010, 09:47 PM
#1 money saver is leaving your wife or girlfriend at home.

manders_01
07-30-2010, 09:58 PM

Really??? :rolleyes:

Woofer
07-30-2010, 10:08 PM

Nah. You've got it all wrong. The kids are way more expensive than the wife or girlfriend. The kids want something to eat every inning, plus souvenirs.

ChiSoxGirl
07-30-2010, 10:46 PM

As a chick who loves baseball and the White Sox, I resent that.

DumpJerry
07-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Being single saves a guy a lot of dough in general.......:tongue:

soxfanreggie
07-30-2010, 11:05 PM
I remember going to games with people giving away extra tickets. It's especially big with minor league baseball. I haven't yet been to a Peoria Chiefs game where I haven't been offered tickets outside the stadium.

Brian26
07-30-2010, 11:23 PM

Really??? :rolleyes:

As a chick who loves baseball and the White Sox, I resent that.

Relax. All he's saying is that its cheaper to go to a game by himself than to drag the family or s.o. with.

chisoxfan4life
08-01-2010, 12:01 AM
I hear there's a free shuttle to and from games from "Buffalo Wings & Rings"...I've never done it, but I might try it for tomorrows game. The $23 or whatever it is for parking these days is ridiculous. I've also heard of a church nearby charging an $8 donation to park there

soxfanreggie
08-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I hear there's a free shuttle to and from games from "Buffalo Wings & Rings"...I've never done it, but I might try it for tomorrows game. The $23 or whatever it is for parking these days is ridiculous. I've also heard of a church nearby charging an $8 donation to park there

That's a big moneymaker for the churches near Siesta Key beach in Florida.

Viva Medias B's
08-01-2010, 06:40 PM
What works for me is getting the value meals. Also, tipping your regular vendors sometimes gives you dividends on future dealings with that person, if you know what I mean.

Slappy
08-01-2010, 06:53 PM
What works for me is getting the value meals. Also, tipping your regular vendors sometimes gives you dividends on future dealings with that person, if you know what I mean.

Free booze?

Seriously though, I don't sit in the same seat/section every time I go to a game so I don't have a regular vendor.

Viva Medias B's
08-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Free booze?

Seriously though, I don't sit in the same seat/section every time I go to a game so I don't have a regular vendor.

Usually, not booze. But I do go to the same concession stand and deal with the same vendor near my seats.

ewokpelts
08-03-2010, 09:43 AM

stubhub. almost all games have upper level tix under face.

ewokpelts
08-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Usually, not booze. But I do go to the same concession stand and deal with the same vendor near my seats.this works. my brother had the same beer stand vendor near his season tix in 06, and got rewarded for frequent purchases/tipping

ewokpelts
08-03-2010, 09:47 AM

SEALED bottled water(up to 1 liter). site says one per person, but I've carried 2 in with no problem.

food is ok, even if it's not in a clear bag/wrapper. but it can and will be inspected. so burger king is cool, even if you keep it in the original bag.

Parents CAN bring in juice boxes if kids are with them.

ewokpelts
08-03-2010, 09:48 AM
You can often get tickets at a discount from scalpers outside the park.
DO NOT BUY PRINTOUT TICKETS FROM A STREET SELLER!

They WILL MOST LIKELY be fake.

ewokpelts
08-03-2010, 09:48 AM

Mother Butters on Michigan Ave. across the Dan Ryan will give you a free bottle of water, no purchase necessary. I always will buy a bag of popcorn when we stop in (wich is also allowed into the game), but you don't have to buy anything to get the free water.you gotta buy popcorn or peanuts to get the free water.

ewokpelts
08-03-2010, 09:51 AM

I dont know which idiot started this thread.....but it's good. and updated daily

ewokpelts
08-03-2010, 09:54 AM
I just thought of something - you know how you can bring 25 cups to Waste Management and receive Comiskey Cash or something? I've never tried it, but it sounds pretty win-win. You might want to try that.no comiskey cash, but you can enter contests for autographs(the wife won a dye jersey back in 06), and get free items(mostly kids items)

ewokpelts
08-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Some folks I know bring in flasks or those mini alcohol bottles you can find at most liquor stores. They don't save too much though if they get soda pop to mix it with.

I tend to save $$$ having a soda pop before and after out of the cooler and bringing crackers/nuts/pretzels in a ziplock bag.you mix the booze with thw FREE designated driver soda.

WIN

Chez
08-03-2010, 09:58 AM
SEALED bottled water(up to 1 liter). site says one per person, but I've carried 2 in with no problem.

food is ok, even if it's not in a clear bag/wrapper. but it can and will be inspected. so burger king is cool, even if you keep it in the original bag.

Parents CAN bring in juice boxes if kids are with them.

I've only had the "one bottle per person" rule enforced once (about 4 years ago). Sunday I carried in a backpack with 12 bottles of water -- 4 people -- with no problem at all.

ewokpelts
08-03-2010, 10:00 AM
BTW, for those that get the free designated driver drink coupons:

1. they do NOT have to be used the same day. sox have used the exact same passes since at least 2004. I get the coupon and stockpile them for warm summer days when i knock over a few sharps in the sun(add soem lime or orange slices from other stands for extra flavor).

2. the soda redemption CAN BE UPGRADED. 75 cents will get you from a medium soda(arv $3.75) to the large(collector cup) size(which normally is $4.50)

3. signing up for the DD program also gets you entered for a prize. normally 2 tickets to a game and merch.

4. i get a coupon on both the lower AND upper levels. jus sayin

ewokpelts
08-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Want FREE tickets?

1. book a group of 20 or more tickets. group leader(you) gets TWO free vouchers redeemable for upper box tix(or 1/2 price upgrade) for regular/prime games(no cubs or premium games)

2. sign the kids up for the sox kids club. 2 free tix per kid in the "SLUGGER" level. regular games only(heavy on the weekdays)

3. buy a replica player jersey AT THE PARK. 2 free upper level tix with every replica jersey purchased. kids jerseys are $90, while men's are $135.

the hat offer appears to be dead(buy a 2010 bp cap AND a 5950 on field cap and get two free tix).

#1swisher
08-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Want FREE tickets?

1. book a group of 20 or more tickets. group leader(you) gets TWO free vouchers redeemable for upper box tix(or 1/2 price upgrade) for regular/prime games(no cubs or premium games)

2. sign the kids up for the sox kids club. 2 free tix per kid in the "SLUGGER" level. regular games only(heavy on the weekdays)

3. buy a replica player jersey AT THE PARK. 2 free upper level tix with every replica jersey purchased. kids jerseys are $90, while men's are $135.

the hat offer appears to be dead(buy a 2010 bp cap AND a 5950 on field cap and get two free tix).

3- NO tickets for an authentic? How long have they been doing this?

ewokpelts
08-03-2010, 11:32 AM
3- NO tickets for an authentic? How long have they been doing this?last year they started this, and brought it back last month.

sides, authentics are too expensive.