PDA

View Full Version : Sox players hold bat BBQ for Kotsay's bad luck

SOXfnNlansing
07-29-2010, 09:56 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Teammate-holds-blazin-bat-barbecue-to-end-Kotsa?urn=mlb-258790

Thought this was kind of interesting.

Hitmen77
07-29-2010, 10:04 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Teammate-holds-blazin-bat-barbecue-to-end-Kotsa?urn=mlb-258790

They showed this during Tuesday night's game.

hawkjt
07-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Look for Kotsay to break out tonite.
He has been squaring it up,but getting no results...the curse has been lifted,and he will have a big second half.

white sox bill
07-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Please no.....this is way too much like something our neighboors to the north would do

hi im skot
07-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Please no.....this is way too much like something our neighboors to the north would do

Seriously...having fun is such a Cubs thing.

:rolleyes:

white sox bill
07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Seriously...having fun is such a Cubs thing.

:rolleyes:
I will let them remove curses for fun, I'll take another World Series for my fun:smile::smile:

esbrechtel
07-29-2010, 11:37 AM
I will let them remove curses for fun, I'll take another World Series for my fun:smile::smile:

:rolleyes: Baseball is a game of rituals...every team does stuff like this, I find it hilarious and a little more family friendly than the blowup dolls :redneck

Coops4Aces
07-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Next time burn his jersey and tell him to hit the road

soxfanatlanta
07-29-2010, 11:57 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3231/2359754390_d0d421dd90.jpg

Dibbs
07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
I think a plane ticket out of town would have been suffice. No need to ruin good wood.

Smokey Burg
07-29-2010, 12:05 PM
It's not bad luck, he just sucks.

kufram
07-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Being a glass half full sort of guy I can see real positive side to M. Kotsay's bats being burnt. It shows that the players know he's better than his performance this year and that he is a part of the team. I can still see Kotsay going on a streak and picking up his teammates when they need it the way they have picked up him when he has been less than his best. Blame is something strange to look for when we're in first place.

It is not totally wishful thinking... it is what happens when a guy in a prolonged slump finally comes out of it. His luck changes and balls start falling in. I hope so. Of course, he could be gone tomorrow.

Ok, fire away.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-29-2010, 12:27 PM
http://www.afreeman.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/crashannie2.jpg

"If a player believes in his streak because he's getting laid, or not getting laid, or, he wears women's underwear, THEN HE IS! AND YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT!"

Dibbs
07-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Being a glass half full sort of guy I can see real positive side to M. Kotsay's bats being burnt. It shows that the players know he's better than his performance this year and that he is a part of the team. I can still see Kotsay going on a streak and picking up his teammates when they need it the way they have picked up him when he has been less than his best. Blame is something strange to look for when we're in first place.

It is not totally wishful thinking... it is what happens when a guy in a prolonged slump finally comes out of it. His luck changes and balls start falling in. I hope so. Of course, he could be gone tomorrow.

Ok, fire away.

Yeah, but he really isn't better than his performance. He is bad and getting old and never going to turn it around. That's what happens when your career is over. Remember how much everyone hated Brian Anderson? Well the Red Sox were happy to take him for Kotsay...who they would've cut. I am sure there will be some odd ten game span where he hits .269, then there will be people saying he is turning it around! Not going to happen.

kufram
07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Yeah, but he really isn't better than his performance. He is bad and getting old and never going to turn it around. That's what happens when your career is over. Remember how much everyone hated Brian Anderson? Well the Red Sox were happy to take him for Kotsay...who they would've cut. I am sure there will be some odd ten game span where he hits .269, then there will be people saying he is turning it around! Not going to happen.

Do you have a theory on why the players held the burning bat ritual? Because they think he is that bad? They don't think he's had some tough luck maybe?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Mark Kotsay is a great player or that he is not at the end of his career or that he is young. But he hit well for us last year obviously after the Red Sox would have cut him. I just have a feeling that, should he still be on the team after this week, he could start getting hits. If I'm wrong... hey, I'm just wrong. But if I'm right what will our offense be like then? Kind of weird to predict that there is absolutely no chance of that happening.

harwar
07-29-2010, 12:50 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3231/2359754390_d0d421dd90.jpg

Yea, "hate for bats" .. "keep bats warm" .. ah makes me smile haha .. i'm wondering with the way that Kotsay has been hitting line-drives all over the field at times that maybe he might want to keep those bats .. sooner or later they will start falling in ,,

Dibbs
07-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Do you have a theory on why the players held the burning bat ritual? Because they think he is that bad? They don't think he's had some tough luck maybe?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Mark Kotsay is a great player or that he is not at the end of his career or that he is young. But he hit well for us last year obviously after the Red Sox would have cut him. I just have a feeling that, should he still be on the team after this week, he could start getting hits. If I'm wrong... hey, I'm just wrong. But if I'm right what will our offense be like then? Kind of weird to predict that there is absolutely no chance of that happening.

I guess it's possible he is slightly better than his stats, but not by much. I am sure it was just in good fun because they like the guy. Too bad he is no longer a MLB caliber player.

mantis1212
07-29-2010, 01:31 PM

I think this was really a result of Monday night more than anything. I was at that game, and he had a double AND a HR taken from him.

hawkjt
07-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Kotsay hit .292 last year for the Sox with a .356 oba.with a .783 ops... much better than this year. So either he has dropped off the table and is truly done or has hit into some bad luck this year...probably a bit of both.

doublem23
07-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Kotsay hit .292 last year for the Sox with a .356 oba.with a .783 ops... much better than this year. So either he has dropped off the table and is truly done or has hit into some bad luck this year...probably a bit of both.

A) That was in limited time, Kotsay played a total of 40 games with the Sox and had 147 PA, two numbers he's both shattered this year.

B) He's getting older and has had a series of back problems that have dogged his career. He wouldn't be the first guy who just fell off a cliff.

C) He also could have just been remarkably lucky last year, too. His .783 OPS (again, in very limited PT) would have been the highest he posted over a season since he was 28-years-old in 2004 with the A's, before the injuries really started to derail his career.

Ultimately, Kotsay is who he is, he's a nice veteran presence in the clubhouse, and a decent left-handed stick for the occassional PH duties, but he's just not an everyday player anymore. I feel bad for ripping on him because I know it's not his fault, but Kenny's refusal to ever get a real bat and Ozzie's ridiculous man-crush on him have put him in a position to repeatedly fail.

The Dude
07-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Nothing will ever change the fact that Kotsay is a nice utility bench player and NOT a nearly everyday player. It's a shame that we might have to trade our fifth starter + more when we could have had Big Jim for next to nothing. I know it's been beaten into the ground but that's the way it is.

Dibbs
07-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Nothing will ever change the fact that Kotsay is a nice utility bench player and NOT a nearly everyday player. It's a shame that we might have to trade our fifth starter + more when we could have had Big Jim for next to nothing. I know it's been beaten into the ground but that's the way it is.

I agree. Every year Kenny doesn't fill the roster out properly. I like him and all, but going into the year with Kotsay as the primary DH is a fireable offense. It was obvious we needed a DH. Now we will have to give up prospects for one when we could have just signed one of many available. Not to mention, we also could be 4 or 5 games up on the Twins right now if we had an actual DH this whole year. Kotsay as the 25th guy would have never been a problem. 400 plate appearances is.

october23sp
07-29-2010, 05:05 PM
"Up your butt, Jobu."

TheCommander
07-29-2010, 09:06 PM

After the Sox got beat 16-0 on Opening Day 1991 some of the players, including Blackjack McDowell, burned a uniform.

To quote McDowell on the incident:
"We felt like the black and silver switch in uniforms combined with the 16-0 loss on opening day were signs that the gods of Comiskey Park old weren't being respected. The burned uniform symbolized our showing we didn't approve."

Coops4Aces
07-29-2010, 09:10 PM

I guess it didn't work...

Boondock Saint
07-29-2010, 09:36 PM
That hoodoo should be kicking in any day now...aaaaany day now.

Athrun
07-30-2010, 02:56 AM
I guess it didn't work...

Might have just done bad because he was Steve Stone's Pick to Click

doublem23
07-30-2010, 07:41 AM
At least before they burned his bats, he hit the ball hard.

Dibbs
07-30-2010, 09:01 AM
At least before they burned his bats, he hit the ball hard.

That's what I was thinking. People were praising Kotsay because he "almost" got a double and a home run. He should have kept that wonder boy bat, because I don't see any more potential doubles or HRs in his future.

Iwritecode
07-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Not to mention, we also could be 4 or 5 games up on the Twins right now if we had an actual DH this whole year.

You honestly believe Jim Thome alone would make the team 3 or 4 games better than they are right now? :o:

TomBradley72
07-30-2010, 09:44 AM
kotsay hit .292 last year for the sox with a .356 oba.with a .783 ops... Much better than this year. So either he has dropped off the table and is truly done or has hit into some bad luck this year...probably a bit of both.

+1

TomBradley72
07-30-2010, 09:47 AM
A) That was in limited time, Kotsay played a total of 40 games with the Sox and had 147 PA, two numbers he's both shattered this year.

B) He's getting older and has had a series of back problems that have dogged his career. He wouldn't be the first guy who just fell off a cliff.

C) He also could have just been remarkably lucky last year, too. His .783 OPS (again, in very limited PT) would have been the highest he posted over a season since he was 28-years-old in 2004 with the A's, before the injuries really started to derail his career.

Ultimately, Kotsay is who he is, he's a nice veteran presence in the clubhouse, and a decent left-handed stick for the occassional PH duties, but he's just not an everyday player anymore. I feel bad for ripping on him because I know it's not his fault, but Kenny's refusal to ever get a real bat and Ozzie's ridiculous man-crush on him have put him in a position to repeatedly fail.

Very well said...it's analagous to Mackowiak being asked to play CF...Kotsay as a 5th OF/back up 1B/pinch hitter would be OK and a nice way for him to finish his career. Asking him to be an everyday player is too much for him at this stage.

He played with real fire and energy last season after coming over, I was rooting for him.

hawkjt
07-30-2010, 09:54 AM
OK, Kotsay needs to sit this weekend vs Anderson,braden and Gio...no doubt about that. Hopefully, by Sunday the Sox have relegated him to his best role...pinch-hitter and occasional replacement for PK at first.