PDA

View Full Version : Why would Lee want to stay with the Cubs?

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 02:49 PM
http://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/19594001024

I can't see why he wants to stay

Boondock Saint
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Perhaps comfort...maybe his family lives out here now. Winning isn't the only thing that goes on inside the head of a baseball player.

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Perhaps comfort...maybe his family lives out here now. Winning isn't the only thing that goes on inside the head of a baseball player.

only 2 months left of the season.. He can always go back to the Cubs in the off season..

Boondock Saint
07-28-2010, 02:59 PM
only 2 months left of the season.. He can always go back to the Cubs in the off season..

Then why leave? Fans will resent him if he bolts to make a run for a title, then comes back if he fails and acts like staying put is what he always wanted.

doublem23
07-28-2010, 03:16 PM

IIRC, doesn't Derrek Lee's daughter have some kind of rare genetic disorder? Probably would be rough on the family to have him away for so long. There's a difference between signing a free agent contract to move on somewhere else and being abruptly traded. Plus, considering the year he is having, I doubt any serious contender wants him to play 1B everyday, they're likely looking to bolster their bench. I could see why he wouldn't want to be in that situation.

Boondock Saint
07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
IIRC, doesn't Derrek Lee's daughter have some kind of rare genetic disorder? Probably would be rough on the family to have him away for so long. There's a difference between signing a free agent contract to move on somewhere else and being abruptly traded. Plus, considering the year he is having, I doubt any serious contender wants him to play 1B everyday, they're likely looking to bolster their bench. I could see why he wouldn't want to be in that situation.

Well, he blocked a trade to Anaheim, so I'm guessing they wanted him to play 1B most of the time. But you do have a point with his daughter's disorder.

kittle42
07-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Because he likes playing for them and living in Chicago and doesn't really want to change his life, even for a couple months?

The audacity!

Madvora
07-28-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm not blaming either side, but it's funny that fans give players crap for the lack of loyalty to one team and also blame players for not wanting to jump ship and go to the highest bidder or a team that's winning.

kittle42
07-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm not blaming either side, but it's funny that fans give players crap for the lack of loyalty to one team and also blame players for not wanting to jump ship and go to the highest bidder or a team that's winning.

It's only because it's the Cubs, in this case. Just like half the Zambrano thread.

getonbckthr
07-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Why leave comfortability to go to a teamwhere they are what 8 games out? Ehhh thanks but no thanks.

esbrechtel
07-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Plus the guy already has a ring so its not like he is chasing a ring either...

SBSoxFan
07-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Plus the guy already has a ring so its not like he is chasing a ring either...

This is really the only reason he has to leave. It's not like he's going to get paid more, nor is he going to get an extra week of vacation (in fact, he may have to "work" longer) or better health insurance, etc. So, putting his personal life aside, what's the point of going to a 500 team that's 8.5 games out of first?

Athletes sure have a different life than the rest of us, huh?!