PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie and Kenny were RIGHT - Alexei at SS thread!!!

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 11:55 AM
For putting Alexei at SS. A lot of people complained ( including myself) about putting him there over Beckham last season.

I can see Alexei winning a Gold Glove..

Madvora
07-28-2010, 12:01 PM
I liked how Alexei played at 2B and he had a rough time a SS last year. It seemed logical to me to move Beckham there, but I didn't really care too much. I thought there must be a reason for it.

Domeshot17
07-28-2010, 12:02 PM
ANOTHER THREAD :bandance:

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-28-2010, 12:05 PM
TCM and Beckham have made watching the Sox play the field real fun this season. A great duo that I hope to see for many years to come.

russ99
07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the talent Alexei's showing at SS was always there but a little too much knee-jerk reaction to errors or boneheaded plays at 2nd base, and people assumed he was a bad defensive SS.

If anything, Omar's helped with his focus and maturity, and now he doesn't take many plays off.

voodoochile
07-28-2010, 12:26 PM
I think he's going to be the best SS in baseball or close in another year. His production both offensively and defensively is top tier and I think they are both going to improve even more in the years to come.

kufram
07-28-2010, 01:15 PM
I think he's going to be the best SS in baseball or close in another year. His production both offensively and defensively is top tier and I think they are both going to improve even more in the years to come.

I agree. I liked TCM from the start, don't know why. His bat worries me every May but the glove potential was there from the first day.

TomBradley72
07-28-2010, 01:18 PM
I think the absence of a "veteran" infielder last year stunted his development...Cabrera helped him in 2008, Vizquel has been a huge help in 2010, he seemed a little lost last year between Fields and Getz.

It really seems to be coming together for him...on top of all the other adjustments he's had to go through (cultural, language, playing in the major leagues, etc.), to now be able to play with confidence...he's still going to get better.

Put this in the win column for Ozzie and KW's ability to assess talent.

Slappy
07-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Alexei has done well for sure, I just want to see him improve his focus and confidence, and hopefully that will vault him into a real top tier SS.

twinsuck
07-28-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm really proud of lexei, he really has grown and shown he could be one of the best shortstops in the league. I think I knew he would improve from last year, but he's got some serious talent. :bandance:

hawkjt
07-28-2010, 01:29 PM
I think our other Cuban, Viciedo, suffers from the same ''rush to judgement'' on his defensive ability. Now, I know he does not have great range,but I do think he has very soft hands,and a rocket arm. He has botched a play or two at third,but at his age, I do not think he should be ruled out for playing 3rd in the future. He is just getting his sea legs in the majors,so a few mistakes is expected. But, I just am not ready to say he is a DH...at the least I think he will be fine at 1st ,but I still think he can improve at third enough to be passable.

harwar
07-28-2010, 01:32 PM
i just knew that Alexei (and Rios) would have really good years .. i thought that Omar might help him .. i sure never saw Vizquel being as good as he has been this year though ..

ghostface36
07-28-2010, 01:46 PM
alexei has probably top 3 strongest infield arms in the game, and can range further (although this took some time), only real question would be if he could stop the errors. So, to me he was the natural fit at SS (best in the majors defensively according to all those advanced stats) and gordon is a great 2nd baseman

ghostface36
07-28-2010, 01:50 PM
theres no doubt in my mind alexei will be the best SS in the AL starting the next 1-2 years and lasting a long time
they just got to get him used to hitting in the cold

Noneck
07-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Ramirez always had the tools to play either 2nd or SS. That was never the question. It is and was veteran presence in the infield that makes him excel. He now has that veteran presence with Vizquel, as he had when playing 2nd with Uribe and Cabrera.