PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone trade Beckham for Ethier?

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
http://dingersblog.com/2010/07/20/trading-ethier-where-would-he-land/

I think this trade will help out both teams for many years to come.

Boondock Saint
07-28-2010, 10:32 AM
No. You create a hole in the infield to create an even bigger logjam in the outfield.

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 10:34 AM
No. You create a hole in the infield to create an even bigger logjam in the outfield.

I would put Lillibridge at 2nd and have Q as the DH.. If Ethier is truly on the trading block, I would take this guy over Dunn or Fielder.

Boondock Saint
07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
I would put Lillibridge at 2nd and have Q as the DH.. If Ethier is truly on the trading block, I would take this guy over Dunn or Fielder.

Lillibridge is hitting well right now, but it's waaaaay too early to rely on him as an everyday player. Also, we don't have anyone else to fill his bench spot if he becomes a starter, and his arm has proven to be weak, even for 2B.

cards press box
07-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I like Ethier but not enough to make that deal. Right now, the Sox appear to have a fine keystone combination for years to come. Why mess that up?

The Sox have a good outfield right now (Pierre, Rios and Quentin) and have Andruw Jones who adds excellent defense to all three outfield positions plus occasional power. I can't remember the last time Kotsay played in the outfield and, at this point, the role that suits him best is a lefty pinch hitter.

Would the Sox benefit from a lefty DH with some power? Sure. But they might have a more pressing need for a starter. Hudson lacks experience and who knows whether Freddy Garcia will continue to be effective.

In sum, I would not trade Gordon Beckham for virtually anyone and, for that matter, I would be reluctant to trade any of the top prospects such as Morel, Viciedo and Hudson. I was at the game last night and Viciedo hit two line drive doubles that just jumped off his bat. He has tremendous potential to be a great slugger and I don't want to see the Sox deal him for a rent-a-player.

Given the market that Arizona set for Dan Haren, hopefully the Sox can get a Jake Westbrook or a Ted Lilly for a couple of low level prospects. That would be fine with me and that might be all the Sox need.

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Lillibridge is hitting well right now, but it's waaaaay too early to rely on him as an everyday player. Also, we don't have anyone else to fill his bench spot if he becomes a starter, and his arm has proven to be weak, even for 2B.

Beckham would be my last person that I would want to give up but I can't see the Dodgers trading Ethier to us without him in the deal.

It would be my wish to get Ethier without giving up Beckham.

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I like Eithier but not enough to make that deal. Right now, the Sox appear to have a fine keystone combination for years to come. Why mess that up?

The Sox have a good outfield right now (Pierre, Rios and Quentin) and have Andruw Jones who adds excellent defense to all three outfield positions plus occasional power. I can't remember the last time Kotsay played in the outfield and, at this point, the role that suits him best is a lefty pinch hitter.

Would the Sox benefit from a lefty DH with some power. Sure. But they might have a more pressing need for a starter. Hudson lacks experience and who knows whether Freddy Garcia will continue to be effective.

In sum, I would not trade Gordon Beckham for virtually anyone and, for that matter, I would be reluctant to trade any of the top prospects such as Morel, Viciedo and Hudson. I was at the game last night and Viciedo hit two line drive doubles. He has tremendous potential to be a great slugger and I don't want to see the Sox deal him for a rent a player.

Given the market that Arizona set for Dan Haren, hopefully the Sox can get a Jake Westbrook or a Ted Lilly for a couple of low level prospects. That would be fine with me and that might be all the Sox need.

I see Q as a DH and nothing more.

Pablo_Honey
07-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I see Q as a DH and nothing more.
True, but I personally wouldn't part with Beckham for Ethier. Beckham plays a solid defense at second and he has the potential to be a 20-20 guy which I'd gladly take at second. As much as we need a good lefty bat in a guy like Ethier, we also need good infield defense and a young core of players to build the team around.

gr8mexico
07-28-2010, 10:59 AM
The only player I would consider trading Beckham for would be
Hanley Ramirez.
But that would cost way more then just Beckham

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 11:02 AM
The only player I would consider trading Beckham for would be
Hanley Ramirez.
But that would cost way more then just Beckham

I can name at least 20 players that I would trade Beckham for. He's a great player but not anywhere near the top.

Coops4Aces
07-28-2010, 11:07 AM
I can name at least 20 players that I would trade Beckham for. He's a great player but not anywhere near the top.

Them is fightin words :redneck

LoveYourSuit
07-28-2010, 11:09 AM

20?

I would raise you to 50.

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 11:15 AM
20?

I would raise you to 50.

50 sounds about right.

Slappy
07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
I would do it. I'm just not a believer in Beckham becoming an elite talent like Ethier. Maybe I will be eating crow in a couple years, but w/e.

07-28-2010, 12:46 PM
There's no way the Dodgers would do this

GAsoxfan
07-28-2010, 01:30 PM
I think it's hilarious (sad?) that the blogger says since Ethier wasn't expected to be this good, he probably won't be able to maintain his current production. If that's true, then the Cards should let Pujols walk b/c he's about to come back to earth.

Boondock Saint
07-28-2010, 01:33 PM
No matter how you slice it, you're creating a hole to fill a hole that doesn't exist. It's, at it's best, comparable to spinning your tires when you create a hole in your lineup to fill a hole that you do have. Creating a hole to improve an already average/above average spot in the lineup is moving backwards.

LITTLE NELL
07-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Hard call, who is the real Beckham, last years almost ROY or this years slump ridden player.
Right now I think I would take Ethier, we sure need a LH bat.

soltrain21
07-28-2010, 03:27 PM
I would take Ethier, but I'd be pretty upset for dethroning me as the most attractive man in Chicago.

wassagstdu
07-28-2010, 05:05 PM
In a heartbeat.

sullythered
07-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Nah. Ethier's pretty good, but he's not really an amazing hitter or anything. If anybody here was against including Beckham in a Prince Fielder deal, they absolutely have to be against including him in this deal for a much lesser hitter who is older.

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Nah. Ethier's pretty good, but he's not really an amazing hitter or anything. If anybody here was against including Beckham in a Prince Fielder deal, they absolutely have to be against including him in this deal for a much lesser hitter who is older.

Ethier is a great player. He's better than Beckham

Sam Spade
07-28-2010, 08:33 PM
The only thing that bothers me about ethier is his inconsistancy. If he isn't carrying a team, it seems like he is hurting it.

AzureJazzMan
07-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Beckham is apparently not going anywhere...neither is Quentin

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/4441

oeo
07-28-2010, 09:06 PM
20?

I would raise you to 50.

I'd like to see that list. Very few guys I would trade Beckham for. They would have to be a superstar in their prime, or a young player like Beckham under team control for just as many years. Andre Ethier, while a good player, does not fit either.

People say Beckham won't be a superstar. I say, why not? At second base, he absolutely can be.

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 09:09 PM
I'd like to see that list. Very few guys I would trade Beckham for. They would have to be a superstar in their prime, or a young player like Beckham under team control for just as many years. Andre Ethier, while a good player, does not fit either.

People say Beckham won't be a superstar. I say, why not? At second base, he absolutely can be.

Ok I will give you that list in a few mins

oeo
07-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Ok I will give you that list in a few mins

It's going to take you a few minutes to give me a list of 50 guys? Can't wait to read that, will make for a good laugh.

Don't waste your time. There are very, very few guys that are both worth it and would actually be available. I guess I should be expecting Albert Pujols, Tim Lincecum, etc.

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Here are some

1 Morneau
2 Mauer
3 Cabrera
4 Weaver
5 King Felix
6 Lincecum
7 J Johnson
8 Wainwright
9 Lester
10 Price
11 Pujols
12 Cano
13 Longoria
14 Braun
15 Hamilton
16 Crawford
17 Ethier
18 Kemp
19 Pedroia
20 H Ramirez
21 Gallardo
22 Kershaw
23 Strasburg
24 Kershaw
25 Buchholz
26 Fielder
27 C.C

Sam Spade
07-28-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't think its going to be funny. So many good, young players out there.

sullythered
07-28-2010, 09:20 PM

Andre Ethier is nowhere near a great player. He's a pretty good fringe type all star. Not great.

And what does him currently being better than Gordon Beckham have to do, at all, with what I said?

voodoochile
07-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Here are some

1 Morneau
2 Mauer
3 Cabrera
4 Weaver
5 King Felix
6 Lincecum
7 J Johnson
8 Wainwright
9 Lester
10 Price
11 Pujols
12 Cano
13 Longoria
14 Braun
15 Hamilton
16 Crawford
17 Ethier
18 Kemp
19 Pedroia
20 H Ramirez
21 Gallardo
22 Kershaw
23 Strasburg
24 Kershaw
25 Buchholz
26 Fielder
27 C.C

Just curious, how many of those players are in their second year in the majors and thus making not a heck of a lot of money but also under team control for the next 4 years?

Oh and if you can trade Beckham for Mauer, I say go for it. Heck, I'll throw in AJ...

Sam Spade
07-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Just curious, how many of those players are in their second year in the majors and thus making not a heck of a lot of money but also under team control for the next 4 years?

Oh and if you can trade Beckham for Mauer, I say go for it. Heck, I'll throw in AJ...
Its their value that's important. Obviously gordon has high value for the reasons you mentioned, but a player with a high salary can have higher value than him still.

Rockabilly
28 Cain
29 D Young
30 Votto
31 A Rod
32 Howard
33 Teixeira
34 C Gonzalez
35 Cruz
36 Wright
37 Verlander
38 Halladay
39 Cliff Lee
40 Posey

oeo
Here are some

1 Morneau
2 Mauer
3 Cabrera
4 Weaver
5 King Felix
6 Lincecum
7 J Johnson
8 Wainwright
9 Lester
10 Price
11 Pujols
12 Cano
13 Longoria
14 Braun
15 Hamilton
16 Crawford
17 Ethier
18 Kemp
19 Pedroia
20 H Ramirez
21 Gallardo
22 Kershaw
23 Strasburg
24 Kershaw
25 Buchholz
26 Fielder
27 C.C

There's only 2 guys on that list that may actually be available at some point in the next couple years and/or are worth it contractually, that I would give up Beckham for. They both play for the Marlins.

sullythered
07-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Here are some

1 Morneau
2 Mauer
3 Cabrera
4 Weaver
5 King Felix
6 Lincecum
7 J Johnson
8 Wainwright
9 Lester
10 Price
11 Pujols
12 Cano
13 Longoria
14 Braun
15 Hamilton
16 Crawford
17 Ethier
18 Kemp
19 Pedroia
20 H Ramirez
21 Gallardo
22 Kershaw
23 Strasburg
24 Kershaw
25 Buchholz
26 Fielder
27 C.C

The only thing that stands out about your list is that Andre Ethier might be the only guy on it that I wouldn't trade Beckham for.

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 09:33 PM
41 Hughes
42 Hamels
43 Grienke
44 Jimenez
45 Soria
46 Desmond Jennings
47 Heyward

oeo
07-28-2010, 09:33 PM
28 Cain
29 D Young
30 Votto
31 A Rod
32 Howard
33 Teixeira
34 C Gonzalez
35 Cruz
36 Wright
37 Verlander
38 Halladay
39 Cliff Lee
40 Posey

No one on this list. Does Cruz = Nelson Cruz? I certainly hope not.

Sam Spade
07-28-2010, 09:36 PM
No one on this list. Does Cruz = Nelson Cruz? I certainly hope not.
Not even votto/cain/young? You have a strange opinion.

oeo
07-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Can't believe you've made it through 47 guys and someone who would actually be available and is a superstar hasn't been listed yet. I'll give you a hint, he plays first base and is underrated because of his home park.

oeo
07-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Not even votto/cain/young? You have a strange opinion.

Votto is going to be available? When? Sign me up.

Sam Spade
07-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Votto is going to be available? When? Sign me up.
Uh, no one said 'available' to my knowledge but you, oeo.

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 09:39 PM
48 A Gonzalez
49 J Upton
50 Utley

oeo
07-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Uh, no one said 'available' to my knowledge but you, oeo.

Okay, I guess we prefer to talk hypothetical. Why even bring it up then?

Sam Spade
07-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Okay, I guess we prefer to talk hypothetical.
Well, the claim was that there are a lot of guys, not a lot of available guys. I didn't start this conversation. And I'd prefer to just shut my yap right now.

palehozenychicty
07-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Nor should they. In the offseason, I'm open to trading Quentin, but not now.

oeo
07-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Well, the claim was that there are a lot of guys, not a lot of available guys. I didn't start this conversation. And I'd prefer to just shut my yap right now.

If they're not available, how would you trade Beckham for them? It's a dumb argument. Of course Beckham isn't the best player in baseball.

cards press box
07-28-2010, 11:00 PM
I'll repeat the question that I asked earlier in the thread: right now, the Sox appear to have a fine keystone combination for years to come. Why mess that up?

voodoochile
07-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Its their value that's important. Obviously gordon has high value for the reasons you mentioned, but a player with a high salary can have higher value than him still.

Well sure, and all things being equal you clearly want Mauer over Beckham (for example) but you can't have a Mauer equivalent at every position unless you are the Yankees. Beckham has great potential production for a very reasonable price for the next 4 years. Players like that you keep and then you upgrade the spots you don't have players like that with high end FA's (be they yours or someone elses) and that's how you win championships (again, unless you are the Yankees...)

Sam Spade
07-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Well sure, and all things being equal you clearly want Mauer over Beckham (for example) but you can't have a Mauer equivalent at every position unless you are the Yankees. Beckham has great potential production for a very reasonable price for the next 4 years. Players like that you keep and then you upgrade the spots you don't have players like that with high end FA's (be they yours or someone elses) and that's how you win championships (again, unless you are the Yankees...)
I hear you. Some people are treating this as a practical argument, some are not. I was not.

ghostface36
07-29-2010, 01:55 AM
are yall trippin?
gordon cuban missle best double play in the league for the next 15 years
gordon is beyond being off limits unless you're getting someone THAT good back
i see some people considering possibly trading beckham for prince fielder? the thought is asinine
beckham will go down as a white sox legend

ghostface36
07-29-2010, 01:57 AM
41 Hughes
42 Hamels
43 Grienke
44 Jimenez
45 Soria
46 Desmond Jennings
47 Heyward
you seriously trippin man

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-29-2010, 12:40 PM
are yall trippin?
i see some people considering possibly trading beckham for prince fielder? the thought is asinine

I wouldn't wager on Ramirez being this good for 15 years. He's already creeping up to age 30, and who knows how long he can remain this athletic.

Also, I'm not sold on Beckham receiving a statue one day. I think he'll be a good, maybe great player, but I'm not sure he'll be a "legend".

That said, at this moment, this is a sick MIF we have. If Beckham keeps up his hitting, then we have something good here.

soltrain21
07-29-2010, 01:56 PM
are yall trippin?

I believe, good sir, that you are the one who is tripping.

PhillipsBubba
07-29-2010, 02:14 PM
http://dingersblog.com/2010/07/20/trading-ethier-where-would-he-land/

I think this trade will help out both teams for many years to come.

GB is going to be a star for years to come...no way I trade him.