PDA

View Full Version : Brett Myers

Slappy
07-27-2010, 11:48 PM
This guy has been a bright spot on the Astros this year. 8-6 with 113 k's and very nice era and whip. Don't feel like calculating it right now, I'm tired.

Anyway, he just put the hurt on the Cubbies tonight with a 9 inning, 4 hit, 1 run, 1 walk and 12 strikeout gem.

Wouldn't mind seeing this guy on the south side at all. I hear the Yanks and White Sox are a possibility, but I haven't seen anything concrete in relation to the Sox.

People talking about washed-up Zambrano need to watch some video of this guy. He has FILTHY stuff.

ETA: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10129199

tm1119
07-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Yeah hes having a surprisingly great year so far, and would surely be an improvement. Just not sure hes exactly what we need if we are going to give up the few prospects we have. Id still rather see a hitter acquired. Plus hes a bit of a headcase that has had some problems in the past. Not sure he would be the best guy to throw into the clubhouse this late into the season.

Slappy
07-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Are you talking about when he called out Cole Hamels?

If we can get him for cheap, I'd love to see him here. Former 1st round 12th overall pick.

UofCSoxFan
07-28-2010, 12:04 AM
I wouldn't mind Myers. His problems in the past have all been of the field. While this makes him a dirtbag it also means he likely won't dsirupt clubhouse chemistry and frankly I don't need another role model.

Some of his saber stats suggest he may be tad lucky but for the most part his ERA and 1.26 WHIP seem legit.

If we could get him for a B prospect, sign me up.

UofCSoxFan
07-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Are you talking about when he called out Cole Hamels?

He's had domestic violence issues in the past. He's by all account not a very good human being, but I don't need to know him in real life, thankfully, to root for him in a Sox uniform.

tm1119
07-28-2010, 12:11 AM
He's had domestic violence issues in the past. He's by all account not a very good human being, but I don't need to know him in real life, thankfully, to root for him in a Sox uniform.

Yeah he also freaked out and snapped on a reporter who asked him a question in the clubhouse 1 time. It was also a rumor that he just wasnt liked much at all by his Phillies teammates which explains why they had no interest in retaining him. I live in South Jersey so I hear all of the Philly sports talk and they all have pretty much nothing good to say about him. They all say they wouldnt take him back when asked if the Phillies should trade for him.

Slappy
07-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Pobody's nerfect. Hope he gets over his problems.

tm1119
07-28-2010, 12:18 AM

Yeah no doubt. If I felt we really needed a pitcher I wouldnt be entirely opposed to acquiring him, but like I said, I want a hitter before any pitcher.

GoGoCrede
07-28-2010, 12:19 AM
God please no. I know you should root for the uniform, and there have been Sox players who have their demons as well, but I just cannot root for this man. Call me foolish, call me a hypocrite. I just can't.

sullythered
07-28-2010, 12:31 AM
I booed Wil Cordero, and I'd boo this dude too.

sullythered
07-28-2010, 12:33 AM

Drinking is a problem, drugs are a problem. Hell, I could forgive most indiscretions. A huge baseball player punching a woman in the face is a ****ing *******.

Tragg
07-28-2010, 12:36 AM
He's okay. He's been hitting his spots. NL competition.

You just don't want to invest much talent for this level of pitcher.

Slappy
07-28-2010, 12:36 AM

Slappy
07-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Drinking is a problem, drugs are a problem. Hell, I could forgive most indiscretions. A huge baseball player punching a woman in the face is a ****ing *******.

:(:

B-b-but...

:(:

soltrain21
07-28-2010, 07:57 AM
No thank you. Dude is a complete douche.

FoulTerritory
07-28-2010, 09:07 AM
No thank you. Dude is a complete douche.

Although I can testify that he has a really sweet mother.

I was with a friend who was wearing a Phillies hat at a mall in Jacksonville, FL a couple years ago and this little middle aged woman comes up to him and says, "Hi, I'm Brett Myers' mom, and I just want to thank you for supporting the Phillies." He was like, "whoa. Thanks, mam." She then said that she tries to talk to every Phillies fan she sees in Jacksonville just to let them know their family and son appreciate them.

While I agree he is a douche . . . keep in mind that this woman would be walking around North Florida thanking Sox fans if he joined us. Excellent for fan moral and recruiting. :smile:

russ99
07-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Myers has been fantastic with the Astros this year. Sad to see him go, especially after such a great CG vs. the Cubs.

If the Sox acquire him, I'd be thrilled.

As for the personal stuff, big deal. Everyone has made mistakes in the past, his just happened to be very public. Cast the first stone and all that jive.

Craig Grebeck
07-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Myers has been fantastic with the Astros this year. Sad to see him go, especially after such a great CG vs. the Cubs.

As for the personal stuff, big deal. Everyone has made mistakes in the past, his just happened to be very public. Cast the first stone and all that jive.
Yeah, big deal. (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2006/06/phillies_pitche.html)

I'd have a hard time rooting for him.

SOXPHILE
07-28-2010, 10:16 AM
I booed Wil Cordero, and I'd boo this dude too.

:thumbsup: Agreed. I did too. I also booed John Starks for the brief time he wore a Bulls uniform. I don't want this guy anywhere near U.S. Cellular, unless its in a visiting teams uniform. He punched his wife in the face, in the street in front of witnesses. That whole pathetic blowup he did at the reporter (Myers: "You're a moron." Reporter: "How do you spell that ?" :rolling: )

He's not a real popular guy in the clubhouse either. Basically, he's just a real bad, bad guy. Go away.

hi im skot
07-28-2010, 10:20 AM
God please no. I know you should root for the uniform, and there have been Sox players who have their demons as well, but I just cannot root for this man. Call me foolish, call me a hypocrite. I just can't.

Word. The Sox are an organization that's big into character - Myers doesn't fit.

dickallen15
07-28-2010, 10:28 AM

Punching your wife in the face shows a lack of a lot of things. Its cowardly. If he ever wore a White Sox uniform, I would skip games he started. Character is a big part of a player. His is lacking. I will cheer for *******s. I will cheer for cheaters, I will cheer for a lot of questionable people. I refuse to cheer for or support in any way, wife beaters.

Domeshot17
07-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Myers is a jackass, but if we got him, I would cheer for him. It is part of being a sports fan. For every Konerko and Thome, there are Myers. I would bet one of the guys on this team has had an altercation with their wife. I would bet a ton of them cheat on their spouses, our C next year was a former roider.

I would probably look at Myers like I do Brian Urlacher. I could cheer for him for the time he is on the field, and if I saw him off, I wouldn't shake his hand.

hi im skot
07-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Although I can testify that he has a really sweet mother.

I was with a friend who was wearing a Phillies hat at a mall in Jacksonville, FL a couple years ago and this little middle aged woman comes up to him and says, "Hi, I'm Brett Myers' mom, and I just want to thank you for supporting the Phillies." He was like, "whoa. Thanks, mam." She then said that she tries to talk to every Phillies fan she sees in Jacksonville just to let them know their family and son appreciate them.

While I agree he is a douche . . . keep in mind that this woman would be walking around North Florida thanking Sox fans if he joined us. Excellent for fan moral and recruiting. :smile:

If she can pitch in the AL, I'll take her. Forget about her son, though.

Jpgr91
07-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Word. The Sox are an organization that's big into character - Myers doesn't fit.

I would disagree. The Chairman signed Albert Belle to at the time what was one of the biggest free agent contract in history. More recently, they had Jose Canseco on the roster. As long as the player is not going to be a distraction and they can help the team, why not sign the player?

Boondock Saint
07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
I would disagree. The Chairman signed Albert Belle to at the time what was one of the biggest free agent contract in history. More recently, they had Jose Canseco on the roster. As long as the player is not going to be a distraction and they can help the team, why not sign the player?

None of that is remotely "recent".

Jpgr91
07-28-2010, 10:47 AM
None of that is remotely "recent".

The Chairman approved the Belle contract, despite his off the field issue. KW signed Canseco. Both signings occured a while ago, but the Sox Leadership has remained the same.

Boondock Saint
07-28-2010, 10:51 AM
The Chairman approved the Belle contract, despite his off the field issue. KW signed Canseco. Both signings occured a while ago, but the Sox Leadership has remained the same.

That doesn't change the fact that the best support for your argument occurred ten years ago. There haven't been any signings that you can point to since then. That's a better indicator that things have changed with KW and JR.

Jpgr91
07-28-2010, 11:12 AM
That doesn't change the fact that the best support for your argument occurred ten years ago. There haven't been any signings that you can point to since then. That's a better indicator that things have changed with KW and JR.

Those two examples were just the most glaring.. Juan Uribe was arrested in 2006 for shooting someone. Jake Peavy was arrested in 2007 for Disorderly Conduct. I do not think "character" matters as much to KW and JR as we think it does.

EDIT: I also think that Jenks had quite a few issues when he was brought to the organization.

Boondock Saint
07-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Those two examples were just the most glaring.. Juan Uribe was arrested in 2006 for shooting someone. Jake Peavy was arrested in 2007 for Disorderly Conduct. I do not think "character" matters as much to KW and JR as we think it does.

EDIT: I also think that Jenks had quite a few issues when he was brought to the organization.

Juan Uribe was already on the team in 2006. Jake Peavy got arrested for a parking issue. That's as flimsy as it gets. Jenks had drinking problems, but that's fairly minor in comparison to what other players get away with these days.

Jpgr91
07-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Juan Uribe was already on the team in 2006. Jake Peavy got arrested for a parking issue. That's as flimsy as it gets. Jenks had drinking problems, but that's fairly minor in comparison to what other players get away with these days.

Uribe could have been cut or traded. I do think that he Sox signed him to a 1 year contract a year or two after the shooting incident. Yes, Peavy's issues were pretty silly, but the bottom line is that his behavior still resulted in his arrest. Bottom line is that professional sports is a business. Regardless of a players personal issues, it is all about winning and making money. If a team looks at a player and says that the organization will lose X amount of dollars by a player tarnishing their brand off the field and the same player will contribute Y amount of dollars by helping win on the field, if Y is a larger number than X there is no way they don't sign the player.

hi im skot
07-28-2010, 11:46 AM

The whole Uribe thing is as foggy as it gets; no one knows exactly what happened in that situation. The Jenks issues came 3 years before before he signed with the Sox, and when he was much younger.

Brett Myers is a piece of ****, and there's no chance the Sox pick him up anyway. It's a moot point.

dickallen15
07-28-2010, 11:47 AM

Uribe didn't shoot anyone. It apparently was an extortion attempt. He wasn't charged with anything.

Slappy
07-28-2010, 12:08 PM
I think I agree with the people who are in the 'cast the first stone' etc camp. He sounds like a scumbag, but like others have pointed out, Sox management have signed sketchy dudes in the past. People can change.

soltrain21
07-28-2010, 12:12 PM
I think I agree with the people who are in the 'cast the first stone' etc camp. He sounds like a scumbag, but like others have pointed out, Sox management have signed sketchy dudes in the past. People can change.

I'll cast the first ****ing stone. I've never punched anyone, let alone a female. I've never even come remotely close to doing anything like that.

Dude is a complete waste of life.

hi im skot
07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
I'll cast the first ****ing stone. I've never punched anyone, let alone a female. I've never even come remotely close to doing anything like that.

Dude is a complete waste of life.

Brett Myers, you have been ROASTED.

Slappy
07-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Apparently the Astros are saying they need to be "overwhelmed" to move Myers.

Would be nice if Kenny bought low though, and got a cheaper but almost as good alternative to Oswalt.

khan
07-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Nothing quite like alienating a potential of 50% of the SOX's fanbase, right?

I simply can't believe that the SOX would have to stoop to getting Brett ****ing Myers to get a middling NL-quality pitcher.

UofCSoxFan
07-28-2010, 01:56 PM
FWIW, fangraphs had a chat today where the host said he felt Myers was the best value of the reportedly available pitchers.

I really wouldn't mind brining him here because of his personal life. In an ideal world, every player I root for would be a Jim Thome type, volunteering in the community, cordial to the media, all-around nice guy.

While character counts, passing each player through a morality test will put you at a significant disadvantage. The White Sox aren't my friends, they aren't dating my sister, they aren't people I hang out with...I don't care what type of people they are. Their value to me begins and ends at how well they can play baseball. Everyone has demons in their closet. I'm sure there are people on the team now that are pretty poor human beings but it has not come to light. Some may say they want to win but not at that cost and that's fair. However, for me, my relationship with the White Sox is limited to their ability to entertain me. They do this by winning baseball games, not allowing for me to hear about all their great causes off the field. I wouldn't want to know Brett Myers in "real life" but I have no problem watching him give me 7 solid innings a start.

PatK
07-28-2010, 02:09 PM

I agree.

He's learned from his mistake and hasn't repeated it. His wife dropped the charges and they are still married and attend counseling.

Call me crazy, but I think if the actual victim in the incident has forgiven him and has stayed with him, maybe the fans should to.

Slappy
07-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Well said, UofC.

Like I previously stated, if Kenny can somehow get him on the cheap, prospect or money wise, I'm all for it. But if the reports are true that the Astros want to be overwhelmed in order to deal him, it all depends on how KW sells it. If they are overwhelmed by Jordan Danks or Tyler Flowers, get er done...

kittle42
07-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Nothing quite like alienating a potential of 50% of the SOX's fanbase, right?

Belle didn't. Cordero didn't. Canseco didn't. Everett didn't.

Say what you will about the varying degrees of bad of their transgressions, but really, I would guess 75%+ of the fanbase has never even heard of Brett Myers, and that a large group of those who have really don't know anything about his off-field antics.

soltrain21
07-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I agree.

He's learned from his mistake and hasn't repeated it. His wife dropped the charges and they are still married and attend counseling.

Call me crazy, but I think if the actual victim in the incident has forgiven him and has stayed with him, maybe the fans should to.

You have no idea if those two things are true. I'm not saying this is the case because we don't know either way, but a lot of woman are just scared to leave a man that hits them.

He hit her in public in front of a bunch of people. I'm not putting anything by the jerk.

PatK
07-28-2010, 02:42 PM
You have no idea if those two things are true. I'm not saying this is the case because we don't know either way, but a lot of woman are just scared to leave a man that hits them.

He hit her in public in front of a bunch of people. I'm not putting anything by the jerk.

Actually, I do have an idea that those two things are true because it's been printed.

soltrain21
07-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Actually, I do have an idea that those two things are true because it's been printed.

Yeah, I've read it too. Just because his wife dropped the charges and is still with him doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to domestic abuse.

canOcorn
07-28-2010, 02:44 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/playoffs/2008-10-28-phillies-myers_N.htm

I'd have no problem taking a flyer on him.

Slappy
07-28-2010, 02:49 PM
I think it really shows your true colors when given the chance to forgive someone. Especially someone you don't even know personally. I wish the dude the best.

If people want to pretend they've never been a fan of a guy who is a less than stellar human being, you're not fooling anyone. And the stuff you don't know about your favorite player that never gets reported? Yeah...

kittle42
07-28-2010, 02:50 PM
If people want to pretend they've never been a fan of a guy who is a less than stellar human being, you're not fooling anyone. And the stuff you don't know about your favorite player that never gets reported? Yeah...

This.

soltrain21
07-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I think it really shows your true colors when given the chance to forgive someone. Especially someone you don't even know personally. I wish the dude the best.

And I think it shows your true colors when you punch your wife. Guess we disagree.

ZombieRob
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Well, I look at this way. Bobby Hull Was a true Wife beater and Drunk. Threw his wife threw a plate glass window. Yet he is beloved in our town. People do forgive with success.

Slappy
07-28-2010, 02:54 PM
And I think it shows your true colors when you punch your wife. Guess we disagree.

Guess you have nothing else to add to this thread then...

dickallen15
07-28-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/playoffs/2008-10-28-phillies-myers_N.htm

I'd have no problem taking a flyer on him.

Even better, a wife beater in denial. I guess all the witnesses and his wife's initial version of the story which all matched, just didn't happen. Hit a woman half your weight. What a great guy. That's exactly the type of guy I would want to pay millions to and rely upon.

khan
07-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Belle didn't. Cordero didn't. Canseco didn't. Everett didn't.
These may be true examples, but all of them occurred awhile ago. I think the SOX's profile has been raised by virtue of the WS win, for better or worse.

Say what you will about the varying degrees of bad of their transgressions, but really, I would guess 75%+ of the fanbase has never even heard of Brett Myers, and that a large group of those who have really don't know anything about his off-field antics.

This is true about pretty much every player. But from my point of view, I don't believe Myers is good enough to help a contender in the Big-Boy AL, at any rate. Adding in his checkered past makes him all the more unpalatable.

hi im skot
07-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Guess you have nothing else to add to this thread then...

But this post brings a lot to the table!

GoGoCrede
07-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I've read it too. Just because his wife dropped the charges and is still with him doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to domestic abuse.

Thank you. I agree with all of this. As for the point about how there are less-than-stellar Sox players, I don't know if there are any who have done the same as Myers has. But if they have and it comes out, I have no problem sitting down and not cheering for them for the duration of their stay.

Anyway, I guess we can cross this bridge if we ever come to it.

PatK
07-28-2010, 03:49 PM

What the hell is that supposed to mean? No one is denying what he did or defending what he did.

Once again, if it is a one time instance (as he and his wife insist), and she is able to forgive him and they both can move past this, why shouldn't/can't fans of baseball?

GoGoCrede
07-28-2010, 03:51 PM
What the hell is that supposed to mean? No one is denying what he did or defending what he did.

Once again, if it is a one time instance (as he and his wife insist), and she is able to forgive him and they both can move past this, why shouldn't/can't fans of baseball?

I hope he never lays a hand on her again. But it's not something I'm personally going to be able to forget, even if he does end up wearing a Sox uniform. Others might feel more forgiving. I don't.

soltrain21
07-28-2010, 03:52 PM

Well, he is denying what he did, first off. And secondly - I don't think it was a one time thing.

I don't want to get into this without it getting too personal - but a woman can be flat out scared to say anything about it ever. The only reason he got busted is because he did it in PUBLIC.

Pablo_Honey
07-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, he is denying what he did, first off. And secondly - I don't think it was a one time thing.

I don't want to get into this without it getting too personal - but a woman can be flat out scared to say anything about it ever. The only reason he got busted is because he did it in PUBLIC.
Maybe he is secretly beating her and threatens her everyday to keep her mouth shut. Maybe it really was a one-time incident that occured because he was too intoxicated to control himself. Nobody knows for sure and IMHO, people should move on from that incident until there are further evidences that he is indeed a wife-beater. Just adding my two cents to the discussion. Of course, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

hi im skot
07-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Maybe he is secretly beating her and threatens her everyday to keep her mouth shut. Maybe it really was a one-time incident that occured because he was too intoxicated to control himself. Nobody knows for sure and IMHO, people should move on from that incident until there are further evidences that he is indeed a wife-beater. Just adding my two cents to the discussion. Of course, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Well, I think that's already been confirmed.

Craig Grebeck
07-28-2010, 04:15 PM
I agree.

You mean he hasn't repeated dragging his wife by her hair and striking her in the face repeatedly, in public? Sounds like John Citizen, resident of Upstanding, USA to me!

Pablo_Honey
07-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Well, I think that's already been confirmed.
Poor phrasing on my part but you get what I mean.:redneck

UofCSoxFan
07-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Houston Chronicle reporting that Brett Meyers is untouchable.

/thread.

http://twitter.com/richardjustice

Slappy
07-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Untouchable. Interesting. Well we can all breathe a sigh of relief now.

DirtySox
07-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Houston Chronicle reporting that Brett Meyers is untouchable.

/thread.

http://twitter.com/richardjustice

That would be quite stupid if true.

russ99
07-28-2010, 08:20 PM
That would be quite stupid if true.

Doubtful, just trying to kick the price up.