PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened (HR in 1st PA question)?

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Carlos Lee hit a home run in his first major league plate appearance, but I don't seem to recall him hitting it on the first pitch he saw. Does anyone recall anyone hitting a home run on the first pitch they ever saw in the majors?

sox1970
07-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Carlos Lee hit a home run in his first major league plate appearance, but I don't seem to recall him hitting it on the first pitch he saw. Does anyone recall anyone hitting a home run on the first pitch they ever saw in the majors?

I think Nava did it for the Red Sox this year, and I'm sure it's happened other times too.

asindc
07-27-2010, 09:23 PM
I think Nava did it for the Red Sox this year, and I'm sure it's happened other times too.

He hit a GS on that pitch as well. The only way it can get better for him from his first AB is to hit a GS in the playoffs.

pythons007
07-27-2010, 09:24 PM
He hit a GS on that pitch as well. The only way it can get better for him from his first AB is to hit a GS in the playoffs.

Or of the walkoff variety....

SephClone89
07-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Or of the walkoff variety....

Or a walk-off grand slam down three runs with two outs in the bottom of the ninth of Game Seven of the World Series.

TDog
07-27-2010, 09:37 PM

He wasn't even the first player to hit a grand slam on the first pitch he saw. Twenty-five players (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats6.shtml), including a couple of pitchers and future White Sox manager Chuck Tanner have hit home runs on the first pitch they saw in the majors.

Adam Greenburg isn't on the list. He suffered a major-league career ending beaning on the first major league pitch he saw.

A. Cavatica
07-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Or a walk-off grand slam down three runs with two outs in the bottom of the ninth of Game Seven of the World Series.

Against the Yankees in Game Seven of the ALCS. This is a Red Sox player we're talking about, after all.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2010, 08:06 AM
He wasn't even the first player to hit a grand slam on the first pitch he saw. Twenty-five players (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats6.shtml), including a couple of pitchers and future White Sox manager Chuck Tanner have hit home runs on the first pitch they saw in the majors.

Adam Greenburg isn't on the list. He suffered a major-league career ending beaning on the first major league pitch he saw.
Wow, I didn't know it was that many! Thanks for the answer.

Madvora
07-28-2010, 08:08 AM
With an 0-2 count, and maybe a bum leg like Kirk Gibson too.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-28-2010, 08:10 AM
With an 0-2 count, and maybe a bum leg like Kirk Gibson too.

And bleeding, like Roy Hobbs.

doublem23
07-28-2010, 08:11 AM
And bleeding, like Roy Hobbs.

And without a head, like Ted Williams

ilsox7
07-28-2010, 08:16 AM
And without a head, like Ted Williams

Best. Post. Ever.

/WSI

Sam Spade
07-28-2010, 06:29 PM