PDA

View Full Version : Do you sing Take Me Out to the Ball Game?

thomas35forever
07-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Do you partake in this during games? I do.

LITTLE NELL
07-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Me too.

SephClone89
07-27-2010, 08:46 PM
:scratch: Doesn't everyone?

Why wouldn't you?

Boondock Saint
07-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Nope. I use that time to use the restroom/get a drink/stretch my legs, etc...

FireMariotti
07-27-2010, 08:50 PM
I might sing a few lines of it with little enthusiasm, but once it get to "so let's root root root for the..." I make damn sure to scream White Sox!!!

RadioheadRocks
07-27-2010, 08:53 PM
I might sing a few lines of it with little enthusiasm, but once it get to "so let's root root root for the..." I make damn sure to scream White Sox!!!

And I make it a point to add "... and whoever plays the Cubs" :D:

LongLiveFisk
07-27-2010, 08:54 PM
I voted yes, although there are probably times when I just don't bother. It was more exciting with Harry though, IMO, although that was a long time ago.

october23sp
07-27-2010, 09:02 PM
I do what I can. GBA is annoying.

kittle42
07-27-2010, 09:03 PM
If one more person sings, "Cracker Jacks," I am going to slug them. It's Cracker Jack!

LongLiveFisk
07-27-2010, 09:05 PM
If one more person sings, "Cracker Jacks," I am going to slug them. It's Cracker Jack!

I also thought it was supposed to be "take me out TO the crowd" and I frequently hear "WITH the crowd". Harry always said "TO", so that's what I learned. :shrug:

SephClone89
07-27-2010, 09:07 PM
The three contentious lyrics:

"Take me out to the crowd/take me out WITH the crowd."

"Peanuts and Crackerjack/Crackerjacks."

"I don't care if I ever get back/never get back."

DirtySox
07-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Nope. Not much of a singer of anything.

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Sometimes...But, I sometimes use that time to head to the bathroom when I know most people are still in their seats singing the song.

voodoochile
07-27-2010, 09:13 PM
I even sing it at home during the 7th inning stretch while standing and stretching. It's one of the few superstitions I still employ.

Oh and if the Sox are on the road, I move my personal 7th inning stretch to before the top of the 7th and still sing. I even mumbled the words under my breath this past weekend on Friday and Saturday while standing before the top of the 7th at the Coliseum.

Oh and I refuse to get up from the moment the bottom 6th ends to the middle of the 7th when the Sox are at home and from the middle of the 7th until the end of the seventh when they are on the road. Don't want to be standing when the other team has their stretch.

I'm hard core about that root root root for the White Sox thing...:cool:

:redface:

:D:

voodoochile
07-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Sometimes...But, I sometimes use that time to head to the bathroom when I know most people are still in their seats singing the song.

Oh yeah, if I can do something productive with that time, definitely. Tonight I put the cat out and started dinner. I actually believe that's good luck too...

voodoochile
07-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh and one other thing. If the opponent makes a pitching change during the Sox half of the 7th inning I do a second or even third stretch and rip off a quick rendition of the song...

LongLiveFisk
07-27-2010, 09:19 PM

Oh that's right. I always say "ever". I think either could apply, depending on how you're thinking about it. :scratch:

GoGoCrede
07-27-2010, 10:25 PM
No. I don't even get up. I'm lazy.

I do, however, remove my hat and stand for the Hero of the Game.

SephClone89
07-27-2010, 10:26 PM
No. I don't even get up. I'm lazy.

I do, however, remove my hat and stand for the Hero of the Game.

You need to get your priorities in order.

FielderJones
07-27-2010, 11:08 PM

with
Cracker Jack
never

Come on, folks, the song was written during the last season the Cubs won a World Series. The lyrics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_Out_to_the_Ball_Game#Lyrics) are no secret.

TornLabrum
07-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Harry Caray screwed up the lyrics for TMOTTBG for generations to come. Here are the correct lyrics as published in 1908 with the correct lyrics that are usually screwed up due to Harry or people not knowing the name of that popcorn and peanut candy-coated snack with a big surprise in every pack capitalized:

Take me out to the ball game
Take me out WITH the crowd
Buy me some peanuts and CrackerJACK
I don't care if I NEVER get back
LET ME root, root, root for the home team <substitute White Sox, of course>
If they don't win it's a shame
For it's one, two, three strikes you're out
At the old ball game.

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Depends if I am liquored up or not.

manders_01
07-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Always. I just not a baseball game without it.

kittle42
07-27-2010, 11:42 PM
with
Cracker Jack
never

Come on, folks, the song was written during the last season the Cubs won a World Series. The lyrics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_Out_to_the_Ball_Game#Lyrics) are no secret.

Thank you! Man, Cracker Jack just ****ing kills me because of my hatred of people wanting to pluralize/put an apostrophe on every ****ing word.

LongLiveFisk
07-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Harry Caray screwed up the lyrics for TMOTTBG for generations to come. Here are the correct lyrics as published in 1908 with the correct lyrics that are usually screwed up due to Harry or people not knowing the name of that popcorn and peanut candy-coated snack with a big surprise in every pack capitalized:

Take me out to the ball game
Take me out WITH the crowd
Buy me some peanuts and CrackerJACK
I don't care if I NEVER get back
LET ME root, root, root for the home team <substitute White Sox, of course>
If they don't win it's a shame
For it's one, two, three strikes you're out
At the old ball game.

Well, see, that's what I get for listening to Harry. :screwloose: :wink:

RadioheadRocks
07-27-2010, 11:47 PM
That "LET ME root, root, root..." don't think I've EVER heard it sung that way.

TornLabrum
07-27-2010, 11:54 PM
That "LET ME root, root, root..." don't think I've EVER heard it sung that way.

They actually sing it that way at Kane County. By the way, there are actually two sets of lyrics written by Jack Norworth, but only the verses were changed, not the chorus. For the record, here are both versions.

First 1908:

Katie Casey was base ball mad.
Had the fever and had it bad;
Just to root for the home town crew,
Ev'ry sou Katie blew.
On a Saturday, her young beau
Called to see if she'd like to go,
To see a show but Miss Kate said,
"No, I'll tell you what you can do."

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."

Katie Casey saw all the games,
Knew the players by their first names;
Told the umpire he was wrong,
All along good and strong.
When the score was just two to two,
Katie Casey knew what to do,
Just to cheer up the boys she knew,
She made the gang sing this song:

At the old ball game."

And now 1927:

Nelly Kelly loved baseball games,
Knew the players, knew all their names,
You could see her there ev'ry day,
Shout "Hurray," when they'd play.
Her boy friend by the name of Joe
Said, "To Coney Isle, dear, let's go,"
Then Nelly started to fret and pout,
And to him I heard her shout.

At the old ball game."

Nelly Kelly was sure some fan,
She would root just like any man,
Told the umpire he was wrong,
All along, good and strong.
When the score was just two to two,
Nelly Kelly knew what to do,
Just to cheer up the boys she knew,
She made the gang sing this song.

At the old ball game."

TornLabrum
07-28-2010, 12:04 AM
And if anyone is interested, here is a recording of the entire 1908 version of TMOTTBG recorded on an Edison cylinder in September of that year by Edward Meeker: http://www.tinfoil.com/cm-9808.htm#e09926 .

You need a RealAudio player for this. The lyrics are loud and clear.

TDog
07-28-2010, 12:12 AM
I don't sing. Sometimes I don't stand, but being exiled out of the Chicago area, I am rarely root-root-rooting for the home team.

If any young pianists are interested in learning the song, the sheet music is available at Amazon.com.

It is odd that the Cubs have grabbed onto this song as if it is their own, considering the song was written in the year the Cubs won their last World Series. Maybe there is a curse to be found in that somewhere.

TornLabrum
07-28-2010, 12:16 AM
I don't sing. Sometimes I don't stand, but being exiled out of the Chicago area, I am rarely root-root-rooting for the home team.

If any young pianists are interested in learning the song, the sheet music is available at Amazon.com.

It is odd that the Cubs have grabbed onto this song as if it is their own, considering the song was written in the year the Cubs won their last World Series. Maybe there is a curse to be found in that somewhere.

And like the people in Wrigley Field at any Cubs game, the writer of the lyrics, Jack Norworth, had never been to a major league baseball game when he wrote the song.

thomas35forever
07-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Thank you! Man, Cracker Jack just ****ing kills me because of my hatred of people wanting to pluralize/put an apostrophe on every ****ing word.
I admit I slipped a plural to that word at the last second when I sang it last night. I normally don't.:redface:

And if anyone is interested, here is a recording of the entire 1908 version of TMOTTBG recorded on an Edison cylinder in September of that year by Edward Meeker: http://www.tinfoil.com/cm-9808.htm#e09926 .

You need a RealAudio player for this. The lyrics are loud and clear.
Great find!:thumbsup:

MisterB
07-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Yes and no.

I sing, but I usually use a set of alternate lyrics that one of my brothers came up with years ago:

Start a brawl at the ball game
Start a brawl in the crowd
Buy me some crackers and peanuts, Jack
I don't care if you stomp on my back
Let's go home, home, home for some root beer
The way we lose is insane
'Cause they kicked our butts real bad
At the old ball game...

:redneck

TornLabrum
07-28-2010, 01:32 AM
You can probably find this in the archives. One summer when the Sox were about to go to Wrigley for an interleague series, I wrote the following parody, which of course is now dated. It was during the height of the steroid infestation there.

Take me out to see Sammy.
Buy me a jersey with Sammy's name.
I'll wear it proudly but won't watch the game.

Let me root, root, root, for the Cubbies
Although I don't know their names.
I'll drink twelve beers
And leave in the eighth
At the old Cubs game.

Of course twelve is underexaggerating, but I needed a one syllable number, and that's the largest one there is.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Oh yeah, if I can do something productive with that time, definitely. Tonight I put the cat out and started dinner. I actually believe that's good luck too...
That HAS to be bothersome having every single game in sports ending so early! I remember the couple of times I visited my sister in the Seattle area constantly forgetting which timezone I was in and logging on to Gamecast after my nephews were put to bed to start following the Sox game, but then noticing a final score posting and only then being reminded that I was in the Pacific time zone.

I think we have it the best in the Central time zone. Games don't start too early, yet there is time to watch some sporting events from bed before giving it up for the night. I can start making dinner before the games start on the Atlantic coast, but then I can watch the games that are on the Pacific coast from bed...It's the best of both worlds.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2010, 08:18 AM
You can probably find this in the archives. One summer when the Sox were about to go to Wrigley for an interleague series, I wrote the following parody, which of course is now dated. It was during the height of the steroid infestation there.

I'll drink twelve beers
And leave in the eighth
At the old Cubs game.

Of course twelve is underexaggerating, but I needed a one syllable number, and that's the largest one there is.
That's not dated, TL...Most Cubs fans think that Sammy is still on the team.

Max Power
07-28-2010, 10:24 AM
I always sing, though not loudly or enthusiastically. I always say, "Root root root for the White Sox," regardless of what teams are playing.

Madvora
07-28-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't even sing Happy Birthday.

voodoochile
07-28-2010, 12:21 PM
That HAS to be bothersome having every single game in sports ending so early! I remember the couple of times I visited my sister in the Seattle area constantly forgetting which timezone I was in and logging on to Gamecast after my nephews were put to bed to start following the Sox game, but then noticing a final score posting and only then being reminded that I was in the Pacific time zone.

I think we have it the best in the Central time zone. Games don't start too early, yet there is time to watch some sporting events from bed before giving it up for the night. I can start making dinner before the games start on the Atlantic coast, but then I can watch the games that are on the Pacific coast from bed...It's the best of both worlds.

Yeah, it's changed my habits a bit, but not too bad and it does free up prime time so I don't have to divide my attention when a show I like is on so that's actually a benefit. In addition I don't ever have to stay up until 1AM to watch a game so that's nice.

The really weird thing is on nights when there is a major national sporting event on one of the main stations. They run reruns of old shows after it's done during prime time. The first few times it confused me. "Why is FOX running Frasier reruns at 8 PM?" Then I realized of course they are because their prime time programming was the AS game for most of the country (for example).

Sam Spade
07-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Sometimes I go for a walk, sometimes I sing. I always think to myself, 'this is very weird, what's happening here'. 40,000 people all get up and sing a song, a rather meaningless song. The more I think about it, their stranger it seems to me.

SOXSINCE'70
07-29-2010, 07:02 AM

"Root, root root for the White Sox"
"The scRuBS suck cause they're so lame"
"For it's 1,2,3 drunk sCrub fans at the old ballgame".:D:

SOXSINCE'70
07-29-2010, 07:04 AM
I don't even sing Happy Birthday.

Got to agree with Larry David here.Is there a dumber song
in the universe than "Happy Birthday" ??

soxfanatlanta
07-29-2010, 08:35 AM
My son could sing it when he was two. :smile:

GlassSox
07-29-2010, 06:28 PM
My wife and I always sing

october23sp
07-29-2010, 06:43 PM

I have to disagree with Larry David there.

SOXSINCE'70
07-29-2010, 10:46 PM

I'll drink twelve beers
And leave in the eighth
At the old Cubs game.

Almost forgot about this one. Thanks, Hal!:)

SOXSINCE'70
07-29-2010, 10:49 PM

I have to disagree with Larry David there.

Many do disagree with Larry David.

Woofer
07-30-2010, 08:50 AM
I usually sing along quietly, until you get to the "Root, root, root for the home team" part, and then I yell out WHITE SOX! Just in case any Cubs fans are there to sing for the Cubbies. It's something I noticed other fans doing a few years back.

russ99
07-30-2010, 09:09 AM
I sing it every time...

But don't get me started on Bud's self-important, forced "God Bless America"... I understand the importance of unity after 9-11, but it's time for them to stop that.

Railsplitter
07-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Yes, and I put extra emhasis on WHITE SOX when I do.

Mendoza Line
07-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I sing it every time...

But don't get me started on Bud's self-important, forced "God Bless America"... I understand the importance of unity after 9-11, but it's time for them to stop that.

Agreed. It also bothers me when people remove their hats and cover their hearts to this song. It's not the National Anthem, it's a novelty song.

Take me out the to Ball Game is goofy, but fun. Sure, I'll sing it at the game, because it reminds me of being a kid at Old Comiskey.

kittle42
07-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Agreed. It also bothers me when people remove their hats and cover their hearts to this song. It's not the National Anthem, it's a novelty song.

Take me out the to Ball Game is goofy, but fun. Sure, I'll sing it at the game, because it reminds me of being a kid at Old Comiskey.

I take my hat off and cover my heart for Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-30-2010, 01:14 PM
We are talking about when we're at a game, right? I always sing it.

TornLabrum
07-30-2010, 01:26 PM

A novelty song?

kittle42
07-30-2010, 01:35 PM
A novelty song?

If he's saying it has no special meaning and does not deserve the reverence usually reserved for a country's national anthem, he's right.

If you're standing and removing your hat for God Bless America, you might as well do the same for that Toby Keith song about putting a boot up your ass being the American way.

SephClone89
07-30-2010, 02:14 PM
If he's saying it has no special meaning and does not deserve the reverence usually reserved for a country's national anthem, he's right.

If you're standing and removing your hat for God Bless America, you might as well do the same for that Toby Keith song about putting a boot up your ass being the American way.

Political, but I completely agree.

Ex-Chicagoan
07-30-2010, 02:15 PM
At a game in Detroit last Sunday the PA announcer implored us to remove our hats for "God Bless America." I thought... "huh?"

At many games in the 80's I changed one additional lyric to TMOTTBG:

"If they don't win, it's the same."

TornLabrum
07-30-2010, 09:02 PM

It kind of depends on what you mean by special meaning. The lyrics were written, and the tune revised in 1938-39 as war loomed in Europe and was already being fought in China. The verse is about that:

While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.

Interestingly enough, they started playing this at ballgames during WWII and people used to stand up for it then. I don't know about taking off caps, but they did stand.

To me a novelty song is Mairsy Doats.