07-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Couldn't get loose in the bullpen

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5415127

JermaineDye05
07-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Send him down.

soltrain21
07-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Aw man. It was him against Heyward, too.

TDog
07-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Aw man. It was him against Heyward, too.

For what, second place in the NL Rookie of the Year vote?

sullythered
07-27-2010, 09:15 PM

Whatever the voters say, Stasburg is CLEARLY the best rookie this year. Hell, he might be the best pitcher in the league.

Huisj
07-27-2010, 09:25 PM

No. There was literally going to be a Strasburg-Heyward matchup in the game. He was going to pitch against the Braves.

pythons007
07-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Whatever the voters say, Stasburg is CLEARLY the best rookie this year. Hell, he might be the best pitcher in the league.

I'm sorry that's just a little too much.

TDog
07-27-2010, 09:26 PM

Not even close.

There is a National League rookie who is hitting cleanup for a contender and has a 19-game hitting streak coming into Tuesday's games and leads baseball in hits for the month of July, but Strasburg did have one game this year where he didn't give up any earned runs, and in that, he only pitched six innings.

RadioheadRocks
07-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Not even close.

There is a National League rookie who is hitting cleanup for a contender and has a 19-game hitting streak coming into Tuesday's games and leads baseball in hits for the month of July, but Strasburg did have one game this year where he didn't give up any earned runs, and in that, he only pitched six innings.

What a difference the hype machine makes. Seriously, who knows anything about Buster Posey???

sullythered
07-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Not even close.

And if I had a choice of adding Buster Posey or Stephen Strasburg to my team, it's Strasburg, not even close. And the GM's of baseball would likely agree with me.

It's got nothing to to with hype, thank you very much. I was one of the guys saying it was all silly, and that he wasn't worth the signing bonus and yada yada. I was wrong.

The guy is ****ing awesome. He's got like 75 Ks in 54 innings, and a WHIP of about 1. He has 3 SUPER plus pitches. He's the best rookie in the league.

CHISOXFAN13
07-27-2010, 09:50 PM

Josh Johnson says hello.

That ERA is getting closer to 1.50.

sullythered
07-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Josh Johnson says hello.

That ERA is getting closer to 1.50.

I said might. I love Johnson, too. My argument was really just about the rookies. That ain't close, in my eyes.

Pablo_Honey
07-27-2010, 09:59 PM
And if I had a choice of adding Buster Posey or Stephen Strasburg to my team, it's Strasburg, not even close. And the GM's of baseball would likely agree with me.

It's got nothing to to with hype, thank you very much. I was one of the guys saying it was all silly, and that he wasn't worth the signing bonus and yada yada. I was wrong.

The guy is ****ing awesome. He's got like 75 Ks in 54 innings, and a WHIP of about 1. He has 3 SUPER plus pitches. He's the best rookie in the league.
I'd personally take Heyward over either Posey or Strasburg because he is holding his own as a 20-year-old and he will play for a very long time barring freak injuries and sudden decline in skills. I wanna see whether or not Posey can keep up his hot bat for more than a year before declaring him the next big thing. Even then, Heyward is better suited for a franchise because catchers flame out fast. Strasburg scares me because of how hard he throws. I think he will get injured at some point.

Anyway, going by the numbers, Strasburg is tied with Posey for being the most impressive rookie so far IMO. If he had kept up his hot start, he would've easily ran away with it but his recent cooling down (Granted, he's still dominant, just not as much as his first four starts) and Posey's uprising is making it a close race. Heyward's numbers look average after a disgusting slump in June, but it looks more like a fluke than anything. If he goes back to pre-June form, he may win it over the other two because of his age.

TDog
07-27-2010, 11:54 PM
I said might. I love Johnson, too. My argument was really just about the rookies. That ain't close, in my eyes.

No it's not. No one is having the rookie season that Buster Posey is, regardless of who you think has the best future. Posey not only extended his hitting streak to 20 games tonight with an RBI single, but he threw out another runner trying to steal. I was skeptical, but I have to go back to Rice and Lynn in 1975 to find someone having such an impressive rookie season. Posey has a serious shot at the batting title, although he currently doesn't have enough at bats to qualify.

Strasburg isn't even among the top 10 National League pitchers this season.

Huisj
07-27-2010, 11:56 PM
It's now being reported as shoulder inflammation.

Pablo_Honey
07-28-2010, 12:22 AM
No it's not. No one is having the rookie season that Buster Posey is, regardless of who you think has the best future. Posey not only extended his hitting streak to 20 games tonight with an RBI single, but he threw out another runner trying to steal. I was skeptical, but I have to go back to Rice and Lynn in 1975 to find someone having such an impressive rookie season. Posey has a serious shot at the batting title, although he currently doesn't have enough at bats to qualify.

Strasburg isn't even among the top 10 National League pitchers this season.
Posey's July numbers are impressive but let's see what he can do for another month. He is definitely going to regress and the degree to which he regresses will determine whether or not he is indeed the best NL rookie. I get it that you are sick of the Strasburg hype but give the kid his due. He's been striking guys out and haven't given up more than 4 runs in any starts so far. If it weren't for the strict pitch count, he'd have pitched more innings too.

As for the whole top pitcher thingy, it's really hard to judge because he's made fewer starts but I'd say he's in top 10. He certainly is nowhere near top 5 as there are monsters by the names of Josh Johnson, Adam Wainwright, Roy Halladay, Yovani Gallardo and Ubaldo Jimenez. After that, it's debatable as to who's better and what not. It all depends on what one thinks defines a "top pitcher."

kittle42
07-28-2010, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't take any player mentioned in this thread because they all play in the NL. In the AL, Strasburg would have a 2.00 WHIP and Posey would be hitting .215.

TDog
07-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Posey's July numbers are impressive but let's see what he can do for another month. He is definitely going to regress and the degree to which he regresses will determine whether or not he is indeed the best NL rookie. I get it that you are sick of the Strasburg hype but give the kid his due. He's been striking guys out and haven't given up more than 4 runs in any starts so far. If it weren't for the strict pitch count, he'd have pitched more innings too.

As for the whole top pitcher thingy, it's really hard to judge because he's made fewer starts but I'd say he's in top 10. He certainly is nowhere near top 5 as there are monsters by the names of Josh Johnson, Adam Wainwright, Roy Halladay, Yovani Gallardo and Ubaldo Jimenez. After that, it's debatable as to who's better and what not. It all depends on what one thinks defines a "top pitcher."

I don't think there is any debate that Strasburg isn't a better pitcher than Tim Lincecum. And he's certainly not a better pitcher this year than Mat Latos etc. His rookie season hasn't been as impressive as Kerry Wood's. Wood actually pitched a shutout while striking out 233 hitters in less than 167 innings. Strasburg's rookie season isn't nearly as impressive as Dwight Gooden's. Gooden pitched three shutouts and struck out 276 hitters in 217 innings at the age of 19.

Latos is only about a month older than Starsburg. Latos doesn't strike out as many hitters but he is a more effective pitcher, putting fewer runners on base. He pitches deeper into games and gives his team a better chance to win. A lot of baseball fans have never heard of him, although he plays for a first-place team.

Strasburg may be one of the top 10 pitchers in the National League in some future season, but right now, but he's never come close to pitching a complete game. let alone a shutout.

DumpJerry
07-28-2010, 12:22 PM
On The Score last night, it was mentioned that the crowd booed when it was announced he was not pitching. When the announcement was made during the game as to why he was not pitching, the crowd booed even more.

It's tough when you have only one crowd pleaser.

pythons007
07-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Mark Prior II:o:

CHISOXFAN13
07-28-2010, 12:57 PM

Dude has an inflamed shoulder and he's Prior.

If i see this one more time, my head may explode. Jesus Christ, it's not like his elbow exploded last night.

Coops4Aces
07-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Frankly, I'd be more surprised if he didn't have shoulder inflammation. 99.99999% of major league pitchers do. The question is, how severe is the inflammation?

doublem23
07-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Frankly, I'd be more surprised if he didn't have shoulder inflammation. 99.99999% of major league pitchers do. The question is, how severe is the inflammation?

Well, severe enough to get him scratched from his start last night.

soltrain21
07-28-2010, 01:13 PM

I've always been convinced that Prior suffered no more or less pain than any other pitcher in the league, he was just a wiener.

Pablo_Honey
07-28-2010, 02:35 PM
I don't think there is any debate that Strasburg isn't a better pitcher than Tim Lincecum. And he's certainly not a better pitcher this year than Mat Latos etc. His rookie season hasn't been as impressive as Kerry Wood's. Wood actually pitched a shutout while striking out 233 hitters in less than 167 innings. Strasburg's rookie season isn't nearly as impressive as Dwight Gooden's. Gooden pitched three shutouts and struck out 276 hitters in 217 innings at the age of 19.
You can't judge a pitcher by how many shutouts he pitched. Different pitchers have different pitching styles. Strikeout pitchers usually has hard time eating up too many innings because they throw harder and don't pitch to contact. The two guys you brought up, Wood and Gooden, both ended up having injury-plagued careers. Judging by their walk totals and innings pitched, I'd assume they averaged about 120+ pitches every time. Only freaks of nature like Nolan Ryan can survive the beatings they take on their shoulders and elbows from throwing too many pitches.

Latos is only about a month older than Starsburg. Latos doesn't strike out as many hitters but he is a more effective pitcher, putting fewer runners on base. He pitches deeper into games and gives his team a better chance to win. A lot of baseball fans have never heard of him, although he plays for a first-place team.
Yeah, I know how good of a season Latos is having and I agree he's having a better season than Strasburg so far. I never implied otherwise (Well I never mentioned him because I'd personally take one of Ubaldo, Yovani and Kershaw over him to be included in top 5)

Strasburg may be one of the top 10 pitchers in the National League in some future season, but right now, but he's never come close to pitching a complete game. let alone a shutout.
I'll just repeat myself: It's impossible to get a conclusive top pitcher list because people have different criteria for judging such a thing. Based on what I value the most in pitchers, Strasburg can be considered a top 10 in NL. He strikes guys out, keeps his walks minimum and limits hits and extrabase hits. His inning total leaves a bit to be desired but that has more to do with the Nats limiting his pitch count. It seems you value innings pitched and that's perfectly fine but I disagree in that it makes one a top pitcher. You can get smacked left and right and still eat up a lot of innings (See: Hernandez, Livan). That's my opinion and you are entitled to yours. So let's just say we will agree to disagree.

doublem23
08-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Threw a side session today and said there was no pain.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5428210

He's got a chance to be one of the best pitchers to ever play the game, I sure hope he can stay healthy.

Sockinchisox
08-21-2010, 07:52 PM
And Strasburg is hurt, just got pulled from the game after throwing a pitch shaking his elbow in pain.

JermaineDye05
08-21-2010, 07:57 PM
And Strasburg is hurt, just got pulled from the game after throwing a pitch shaking his elbow in pain.

That's unfortunate. This is why it's so tough to believe the hype on an up-and-coming starting pitcher like this.

Send him to Coop.

Pablo_Honey
08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
That's unfortunate. This is why it's so tough to believe the hype on an up-and-coming starting pitcher like this.

Send him to Coop.
IMHO, he played up to the hype (Well maybe not so much, considering the hype would have you believe he would pitch a perfect game every night he went out there). It's just the injury bug that's been getting in the way. It should be expected, considering how little he uses his lower half and how nasty his stuff is. Also, Strasburg is relatively new at being this dominant. Remember that this kid had to work his butt off since high school to get to where he is. His body is probably still not used to it.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Dude has an inflamed shoulder and he's Prior.

If i see this one more time, my head may explode. Jesus Christ, it's not like his elbow exploded last night.

Well, it did today.

DumpJerry
08-21-2010, 10:26 PM
http://www.desipio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/mark-prior-towel.jpg
I've got some docs and trainers I can recommend....

CHISOXFAN13
08-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Well, it did today.

So his elbow shattered, yet he wanted to stay in the game? Thanks for the diagnosis, Dr. Clueless.

RadioheadRocks
08-21-2010, 11:46 PM
IMHO, he played up to the hype (Well maybe not so much, considering the hype would have you believe he would pitch a perfect game every night he went out there).

My point exactly! I swear the media had him pegged as the second coming of Cy Young long before he threw his first pitch!

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2010, 12:12 AM
So his elbow shattered, yet he wanted to stay in the game? Thanks for the diagnosis, Dr. Clueless.

You're the one that was all bent out of shape because people were alarmed at his previous injury and you acting like it was no big deal.

This guy has issues. Plain and simple.

Huisj
08-22-2010, 12:22 AM
You're the one that was all bent out of shape because people were alarmed at his previous injury and you acting like it was no big deal.

This guy has issues. Plain and simple.

So an extreme reaction to one side justifies another extreme reaction to the other side?

His elbow didn't explode. A strained tendon and an exploding elbow are not the same thing. However, with this second occurrence of an issue, it definitely shows that the fears about his durability and mechanics aren't to be take lightly; he seems fragile.

Believe it or not, injuries can fall anywhere on the spectrum that stretches from walk-it-off-you-are-fine to oh-my-gosh-your-career-just-ended; just because extreme injuries happen does not mean that all injuries fall on one of those extremes.

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2010, 12:25 AM
So an extreme reaction to one side justifies another extreme reaction to the other side?

His elbow didn't explode. A strained tendon and an exploding elbow are not the same thing. However, with this second occurrence of an issue, it definitely shows that the fears about his durability and mechanics aren't to be take lightly; he seems fragile.

Believe it or not, injuries can fall anywhere on the spectrum that stretches from walk-it-off-you-are-fine to oh-my-gosh-your-career-just-ended; just because extreme injuries happen does not mean that all injuries fall on one of those extremes.

This was my point.

Huisj
08-22-2010, 12:29 AM
This was my point.

That his elbow exploded?

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2010, 01:12 AM
That his elbow exploded?

I was mocking the previous poster.

Let's just move on.

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2010, 01:43 AM
I was mocking the previous poster.Well, don't.

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Well, don't.

That's why I said, "let's move on."

Coops4Aces
08-22-2010, 03:10 AM
Page 3 has been awesome.

Anyways, Strasburg has a strained forearm. Much better than elbow pain, thank God.

SBSoxFan
08-22-2010, 01:10 PM
My point exactly! I swear the media had him pegged as the second coming of Cy Young long before he threw his first pitch!

Cy Young holds the MLB record for most losses by a pitcher. :smile:

TDog
08-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Cy Young holds the MLB record for most losses by a pitcher. :smile:

Some of the posters here were convinced Jaime Navarro held that distinction.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Some of the posters here were convinced Jaime Navarro held that distinction.

He would have if he had gotten enough starts.

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2010, 10:25 AM

I guess Dr Clueless was right :shrug: