PDA

View Full Version : For the right deal, Zambrano?

JermaineDye05
07-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Buster Olney tweeting that the Cubs a ready to trade him.

Link (http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/statuses/19689056521)

Would you take him if the Cubs were to eat enough money and if it didn't cost the Sox much in prospects?

Rockabilly
07-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Only if the Cubs ate about 90% of Z contract and took Linebrink as part of the deal.

soltrain21
07-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Only if he promises to win a Cy Young.

Coops4Aces
07-27-2010, 05:22 PM
I have gone back and forth on this many times. Dude is crazy and maybe hurt. But there is talent somewhere and Ozzie could handle him

sullythered
07-27-2010, 05:31 PM
I would have done it if they ate a ton of that salary. That is, until he lost his velocity.

WhiteSox5187
07-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Well. If you're going to trade Hudson and the Cubs are willing to eat a lot of his salary I suppose he could be somewhat serviceable as a fifth starter.

JB98
07-27-2010, 05:49 PM
The attitude and the mental issues don't bother me. All that stuff has a tendency to go away if you win.

I'm just not sure he can pitch anymore. He has been unimpressive on the mound for the last year and a half.

kittle42
07-27-2010, 05:50 PM
If you can ship Hudson out for a bat, absolutely. Worth what would likely be a minimal financial risk, given how he's, um, played himself out of Wrigleyville.

MARTINMVP
07-27-2010, 06:25 PM
If you pull the trigger and good things happen, Kenny looks like a genius. He pulls the trigger and the **** hits the fan, people will be calling for his head.

Those are two extremes. If he comes and pitches half way decent without any major mental issues, people probably won't think much of it. Either way, it is a huge gamble, and I don't think one's anger issues all of a sudden go away that easily. I personally don't care to see him come to the Southside.

Domeshot17
07-27-2010, 06:33 PM
It is a matter of his stuff. If the Cubs ate the salary and it didn't cost much more than b specs, sure. That said, he wasn't sucking because of attitude or flipping out, it was because his pitches aren't moving, his velo is down and his breaking balls have been flat

g0g0
07-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Don't do it. As mentioned he's been unimpressive the last 2 seasons and has a ton of baggage. Add to that a huge salary and you have a recipe for disaster. I know he still has a possible huge upside, but I don't think the Sox need that kind of drama. Get a reliable starter who'll give you 6 or 7 solid innings and be happy you didn't pick up this cancer.

RadioheadRocks
07-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Buster Olney tweeting that the Cubs a ready to trade him.

Link (http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/statuses/19689056521)

Would you take him if the Cubs were to eat enough money and if it didn't cost the Sox much in prospects?

With all due respect, are you out of your ****ing mind???!!!???!!! Keep that headcase as far away from our team as possible!

LongLiveFisk
07-27-2010, 07:34 PM

And to not throw baby temper tantrums that would embarrass the team. In other words, forget it.

SI1020
07-27-2010, 07:37 PM
The most emphatic no I could possibly say. Additionally I think his best years are fading in the rear view mirror.

twentywontowin
07-27-2010, 07:40 PM
I think if you give the guy a change of scenery and bring him to a place where he is welcome by the manager, Zambrano could potentially pull it all back together.

Too big of a risk though, salary wise. Unless the Cubs pick up $12M per.

MeteorsSox4367
07-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Phil Rogers offered up Linebrink and Teahen for Zambrano.

doublem23
I think if you give the guy a change of scenery and bring him to a place where he is welcome by the manager, Zambrano could potentially pull it all back together.

Too big of a risk though, salary wise. Unless the Cubs pick up $12M per.

Yep. I think the only problem is this might not be a big enough change of scenery, but I definitely think it would help him to not have to be "the guy" any more. If he came here, he'd be our #4 or #5.

Frater Perdurabo
For Linebrink and Teahen? Sure.

That opens a spot in the bullpen for Sale.

And it makes Hudson available to package with another prospect for Dunn.

Rotation: Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Zambrano, Garcia
Pen: Jenks, Putz, Thornton, Threets, Sale, Pena, Santos
Lineup: Pierre, Alexei, Rios, Dunn, PK, TCQ, AJ, Beckham, Vizquel
Bench: Kotsay, Jones, Lillibridge, Castro

Zambrano + Dunn + Sale > Teahen + Linebrink + Hudson

Boondock Saint
07-27-2010, 07:51 PM

I'd do that in a heartbeat if they're throwing money our way, too.

Frater Perdurabo
07-27-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm not exactly a fan of Zambrano, given that I'm not a Cubs fan.

However, there is no question that the guy has a ton of talent and is a fierce competitor. He just hasn't been able to channel that sense of competition properly, often choosing childish temper tantrums over bearing down and taking his game to a higher level.

Between Ozzie and Cooper, I think the Sox have the right mix of coaches to bring out Zambrano's best.

In addition, being traded to the Sox likely would light a fire under Zambrano, thus motivating him to stick it to the Cubs every fifth day.

Again, for Teahen and Linebrink I'd do this deal in a heartbeat.

Scottiehaswheels
07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
He'd prolly hit better than Kotsay or Jones.... LOL Make him the DH.

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2010, 08:09 PM
The fan in me doesn't want to root for him.

Besides he looks like damaged goods. Not only is he a huge douche, he has sucked on the hill.

gr8mexico
07-27-2010, 08:53 PM
SIGN ME UP FOR THAT!! But the Cubs still have to pick up spme money.
I think Zambrano would do better with Ozzie as the manager

Rohan
07-27-2010, 09:20 PM
No, no, no!!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/TheGairey/noooo1.gif

He's not even a good pitcher. He's got no velocity. He's got a terrible attitude. He's the last thing we need on this team.

07-27-2010, 09:30 PM
I love buying low. I'd be all for this if the Cubs chip in half of the rest of his contract.

pythons007
07-27-2010, 09:31 PM
I'd do it if and only if there was a clause that stated his first melt down, he would get shipped back to the Cubs in return for their 3 best prospects.

TDog
07-27-2010, 09:40 PM

Well played.

aryzner
07-27-2010, 09:45 PM
I think he has potential to do well on the White Sox. Doesn't Ozzie get along real well with him? (Probably mostly because they are both Venezuelan?)

thomas35forever
07-27-2010, 09:52 PM
No thanks. He can melt down at any time and that's not what a team in a pennant race needs.

soulfly
07-27-2010, 10:18 PM
This is a case where I could see Ozzie actually being able to keep that head case in check. Of course the only way to even consider it is if the flubs pick up most of the salary. Ship them linestink. It opens up a spot for Sale.

If Hudson goes for Dunn we're going to need another starter and you'd have to imagine KW is trying to get one on the cheap.

Again, if the majority of the contract is picked up, there isn't much risk for the Sox, even if Z is a headcase doucher.

Zisk77
07-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I believe Linebrink has a no trade clause...why would he waive that to go to the cubs?

Boondock Saint
07-27-2010, 10:24 PM
I believe Linebrink has a no trade clause...why would he waive that to go to the cubs?

To pitch in a situation that isn't garbage time and hopefully resurrect his career?

Rocky Soprano
07-27-2010, 10:34 PM
IF that happened there is a second part, Ozzie would have to receive an extension. Ozzie may be able to keep in check and Zambrano probably would love the chance to play for him but would KW want to not only bring in a headcase like Zambrano but also resign Ozzie long term?

Slappy
07-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Zambrano on the Sox? No. No no no no and no.

No.

That is all.

Zakath
07-27-2010, 10:46 PM
The attitude and the mental issues don't bother me. All that stuff has a tendency to go away if you win.

I'm just not sure he can pitch anymore. He has been unimpressive on the mound for the last year and a half.

Numbers-wise, his 2009 wasn't horrible (ERA was down, WHIP slightly up, BAA slightly up) compared to '08 and '07, but he's nowhere near his '03-'05 performances. 2010 has been a disaster.

You'd have to look at him as a reclamation project. Good thing would be, he's only 29. He might be able to recover the velocity, and with a coach like Cooper, he may be able to get his sinker back. The head issues, as you mentioned, might be able to take care of themselves, and he might be able to survive better on a team that seems to be pretty loose.

But if the Cubs don't eat some of the salary, it doesn't appear to be worth it.

kaufsox
07-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Got to say no, and more because his performance has really dropped off. Also he doesn't seem to take care of himself, getting cramps, carpal tunnel(sp) and looks overweight and out of shape. Sorry, by 29 if you're an athlete you need to do the basics.

gr8mexico
07-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Got to say no, and more because his performance has really dropped off. Also he doesn't seem to take care of himself, getting cramps, carpal tunnel(sp) and looks overweight and out of shape. Sorry, by 29 if you're an athlete you need to do the basics.
Well dont say that to David Wells

gogosox675
07-27-2010, 11:29 PM
If the Cubs ate a ton of the contract I could see it happening. Personally, he's too much of a question mark for me at this point.

Tragg
07-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I could see the offseason. And even then, we give no prospects and the Cubs take 2/3 of the salary.

PaleHoser
07-28-2010, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't want him for free.

lpneck
07-28-2010, 12:37 AM
He'd prolly hit better than Kotsay or Jones.... LOL Make him the DH.

Well played, sir.

hawkjt
07-28-2010, 12:56 AM
For Linebrink and Teahen? Sure.

That opens a spot in the bullpen for Sale.

And it makes Hudson available to package with another prospect for Dunn.

Rotation: Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Zambrano, Garcia
Pen: Jenks, Putz, Thornton, Threets, Sale, Pena, Santos
Lineup: Pierre, Alexei, Rios, Dunn, PK, TCQ, AJ, Beckham, Vizquel
Bench: Kotsay, Jones, Lillibridge, Castro

Zambrano +

Dunn + Sale > Teahen + Linebrink + Hudson

If this was the Sox roster, it would be a World Series contender,if BigZ was able to contribute. His command was not good at all,and his stuff seemed to have lost its zip this year.
But, Coop can fix guys,and Ozzie can get him focused,maybe, so, might be worth a shot.
If Kenny pulled it off,and it all fell into place with Dunn and BigZ it would be one of the great trading deadline moves of all time. Once caveat....Ramon is his designated catcher...do not want a fistfight on the mound between AJ and Big Z.

guillensdisciple
07-28-2010, 02:59 AM
Yes, yes, and yes. This guy is dying to move to a stable franchise. He's not done yet folks. Still can be and will be one of the most dominant pitchers in the game.

doublem23
07-28-2010, 05:44 AM

:kneeslap:

Big Z has made 30 starts every year from 2003-2008 and last year, broke that streak when he made 28.

hawkjt
07-28-2010, 08:06 AM
In the postgame show,Big Hurt kept saying that if we need anything,it would be a starting pitcher. I am starting to be inclined to agree. As he said, in the end, in Sept, it comes down to pitching. So, I hope kenny is on the lookout for that 5th starter. Lilly,Big Z, whoever...I like Hudson,but do not trust him in a pennant race. The Twins,Tigers,Royals,and Tribe all hit the crap outta the ball,and I do not want an automatic bashing every 5th day.

SOXBOY
07-28-2010, 09:00 AM
I think Big Z is better than Hudson right now. If the Cubs eat Salary I would do it. If Big Z can't pitch then he DH/PH still better than Jones/Kotsay

Carneyman14
07-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Yes....but he doesn't come into the clubhouse or dugout. After an inning he walks out into the maintenence corner and sits by himself.

Zisk77
07-28-2010, 09:09 AM
If you are even beginning to entertain this deal, the cubs would have to eat enough salary where you could just waive Beg Z if he became a problem.

Cat Thief
07-28-2010, 09:11 AM
I seriously would have to consider not renewing my 27 game plan if he came to the Southside. There is nobody I hate in baseball besides this guy.

Rockabilly
07-28-2010, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox got Z..

Zakath
07-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Yes....but he doesn't come into the clubhouse or dugout. After an inning he walks out into the maintenence corner and sits by himself.

I would think if there's any dugout that could defuse him, it would be ours. Just think of how many other managers let their players throw **** at them while they're doing interviews on national TV.

Randar68
07-28-2010, 09:55 AM
I would have done it if they ate a ton of that salary. That is, until he lost his velocity.

Bingo. I am guessing they will dangle him on the waiver market and if someone puts a claim in on him they might just let him go to unload salary. Between his attitude, salary, and lack of velocity, I don't know who would take the chance, let alone give anything up for him.

LoveYourSuit
07-28-2010, 10:16 AM
No thanks. He can melt down at any time and that's not what a team in a pennant race needs.

I would much rather take my chances on a Z melt down than watch Hudson not throw strikes down the stretch.

Randar68
07-28-2010, 10:23 AM
I would much rather take my chances on a Z melt down than watch Hudson not throw strikes down the stretch.

:scratch:

Zambrano has a 5.66 ERA this year and a 1.68 WHIP in the NL, yet makes about 75x the amount of money as Hudson and is 6 years older.

Carneyman14
07-28-2010, 10:28 AM
I would think if there's any dugout that could defuse him, it would be ours. Just think of how many other managers let their players throw **** at them while they're doing interviews on national TV.

Maybe. I'm just waiting on that game (you know there will be) where our offense doesn't show up and then Big Z starts yelling at people or gets frustrated by an umpire and gets tossed in the 2nd.

Hahaha. I love Mark

Rohan
07-28-2010, 03:36 PM
:scratch:

Zambrano has a 5.66 ERA this year and a 1.68 WHIP in the NL, yet makes about 75x the amount of money as Hudson and is 6 years older.

EXACTLY. What's with all of you people saying this would be a good idea. Zambrano has no velocity anymore. He's not a team player at all. HE'S TERRIBLE! Please for the love of God stop with the Zambrano to the Sox talk.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox got Z..

Do you know who Kenny Williams is at all?