PDA

View Full Version : Will Omar play next year?

Rockabilly
07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
I sure hope so.. He has been so great for us this season..

If he does decide to call it a career, I hope the Sox can add him to our coaching staff.

voodoochile
07-27-2010, 01:08 PM
I can't see why not. Not sure it will be with the Sox - but if he can hit .280 and play defense like that, why wouldn't he play?

TheOldRoman
07-27-2010, 01:13 PM
He said about a month ago that he wanted to play again. He said he would come back if he did well this year and retire if he felt he couldn't play at a good level anymore. Unless he tanks from here on out he will likely return.

Madvora
07-27-2010, 01:15 PM
I just heard them say on one of the games that this was going to be his last year. It may have been that national game over the weekend with Mark Grace, so they might not know what they're talking about.

Rockabilly
07-27-2010, 01:20 PM
I thought I heard earlier in the season that he said this will be his last season

kobo
07-27-2010, 01:21 PM
He said about a month ago that he wanted to play again. He said he would come back if he did well this year and retire if he felt he couldn't play at a good level anymore. Unless he tanks from here on out he will likely return.
If he decides to play next year I hope he stays with the Sox. He's been a great addition to the team and I'd love for him to be around another year to mentor Ramirez and Beckham.

beasly213
07-27-2010, 01:39 PM
He can come back. But I don't want him as the starting third baseman. This year has been a nice suprise with him there but you can't bank on that again for another year. Third base has now become an area the Sox must address in the off season.

SSrep
07-27-2010, 01:44 PM
He got his 2,750th hit the other night, anybody think he'll get to 3k? He'd probably have to play consistently for a few more seasons, has he ever commented if this milestone would affect the length of his career?

FielderJones
07-27-2010, 01:50 PM
He got his 2,750th hit the other night, anybody think he'll get to 3k? He'd probably have to play consistently for a few more seasons, has he ever commented if this milestone would affect the length of his career?

It's going to take him three seasons to get to 3000 hits. He'll be 46 then. Even if he stays in great shape, those aches and pains just take longer to heal up at that age. I'd be very surprised if 3000 hits is a goal of his.

TheVulture
07-27-2010, 01:59 PM
If Julio Franco can make it to 47, I see no reason Omar can't make it to about 65.

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2010, 02:17 PM
I thought he announced this was his last season? Can we pay him to sit next to Alexei in the dugout next year?

voodoochile
07-27-2010, 02:27 PM
I thought he announced this was his last season? Can we pay him to sit next to Alexei in the dugout next year?

He'll be managing somewhere eventually I'd imagine. At the least he'll be an infield instructor.

Zisk77
07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
According to Dan Bernstein, he isn't any good. :scratch::?::o:

DumpJerry
07-27-2010, 03:07 PM
I thought he said in the post-game interview yesterday that he has already said this is his last season. I hope he comes back as a coach next year.

hawkjt
07-27-2010, 03:19 PM

Puts him in good company...Bernstein disses Kotsay,Juan,Carlos Quentin,AJ,Beckham....he only likes PK,Rios,Alexei(now).
He loves to buck the popular sentiment about guys like Omar...says he sucks at fielding and is a weak hitter.

beasly213
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Puts him in good company...Bernstein disses Kotsay,Juan,Carlos Quentin,AJ,Beckham....he only likes PK,Rios,Alexei(now).
He loves to buck the popular sentiment about guys like Omar...says he sucks at fielding and is a weak hitter.

He has had a rough couple of weeks fielding wise so I can see where he is coming from on that stand point. Although to say he is a bad hitter this season is wrong and the numbers back that up.

Bob Roarman
07-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Well he doesn't have much range and doesn't have that great an arm. He's old. It's expected. I wouldn't want him back as a player next season, hopefully they don't have to go that route, though it looks like he's done after this year anyway. But I'd love to have him back in Spring Training or even as part of the staff. Like it was said, you can't bank on him hitting close to .300 again and he certainly isn't going to get better in the field as time goes on. 'Member Mark Kotsay last year? Well, he's still on the team unfortunately.

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2010, 03:28 PM

That isn't exactly what Dan said. He said he has been average overall, but very good defensively.

beasly213
07-27-2010, 04:03 PM
That isn't exactly what Dan said. He said he has been average overall, but very good defensively.

I'm a fan of B and B but he called Omar Bad. He said the word Bad about ten times. Although he did say he is the best the Sox have now for third base.

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm a fan of B and B but he called Omar Bad. He said the word Bad about ten times. Although he did say he is the best the Sox have now for third base.

Ah must have been a different segment I was listening to then.

Frater Perdurabo
07-27-2010, 09:00 PM
I'd let Morel have every opportunity to win the 3B job next year but would keep Vizquel around as the backup infielder.

fusillirob1983
07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Ah must have been a different segment I was listening to then.

Hmm, although a slight technicality, seems like you caught him in a case of verbal hypocrisy...

Zisk77
07-27-2010, 11:38 PM

No, he clearly said both yesterday and today that he wasn't really good.