PDA

View Full Version : I wouldn't mind....

stevemcstud
07-26-2010, 11:17 PM
.... getting Pods if we can't get a big bat.

Seriously, if we cant get a power bat I would not mind picking up Pods who is hitting exactly like last year with a .305 BA and a .355 OBP and 30 steals.

He wouldn't cost much to get, knows the team, is a fan favorite, and he is left handed. Not to mention he speeds up the line up.

kittle42
07-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Oy.

hi im skot
07-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Oy.

/close thread

Bob Roarman
07-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Bad. Bad, bad, bad.

kittle42
07-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Option 2: Geoff Blum.

Corlose 15
07-27-2010, 12:28 AM
He's better than Kotsay? :shrug:

Bob Roarman
07-27-2010, 12:35 AM
I hate to steal a line from Hawk but, if you're seriously considering this, "Where's he gunna play?!?"

Sam Spade
07-27-2010, 12:43 AM
I hate to steal a line from Hawk but, if you're seriously considering this, "Where's he gunna play?!?"
DH, definitely.

Bob Roarman
07-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Hahahahaha(god I hope we're joking around here)ahahahaha

Dibbs
07-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Pods can play left field or DH. He is better than our left fielder and DH. So, it's not the worst idea.

TheCQExperience
07-27-2010, 01:20 AM
He's better than Kotsay? :shrug:

In no way do I want Pods back, but this man has a point. :D:

Bob Roarman
07-27-2010, 02:12 AM
Mmhmm. Good night folks. Good luck.

soxnut1018
07-27-2010, 04:00 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tJJEi1zseDI/ST7Cb4coorI/AAAAAAAACGc/E7mbNHML8Kg/s200/just_say_no.gif

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2010, 04:39 AM
Let's give up assets to acquire the white Juan Pierre. Sounds like a brilliant plan to me!

Frater Perdurabo
07-27-2010, 06:56 AM
On the surface this is silly.

But Pods clearly would be an improvement over Kotsay.

DumpJerry
07-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Let's give up assets to acquire the white Juan Pierre. Sounds like a brilliant plan to me!
What does race have to do with this? Knock it off.

hawkjt
07-27-2010, 07:45 AM
I wanted the Sox to re-sign Pods,but most fans seemed to not want him.
Pods and his agent did screw the pooch,so Kenny is not really to blame.
Pods and his agent overplayed their hand, got on the market, and ended up only getting 1.7 million. Juan makes 7 million..Sox pay 5 million of that.

Since Pods figured out his leg issues at the beginning of last year, he has stayed healthy and put together two very consistent years. Hit .305 last year with a .760 OPS,and this year is at .308 with .750 OPS. He has 43 rbis and 30 steals out of the leadoff spot,caught 12. Juan is hitting .255,with OPS of .630, 21 rbis,36 steals,caught 12. Juan is a better left-fielder...slightly. Juan's WAR is 0.0, while Pods is at 1.3...

In the end, if Pods had been reasonable and signed for 2 years 4 million, the Sox would have been better off,saving 3 million on payroll,and having a better offensive player the whole season. Pods has only dipped below .300 for a few days. Juan has struggled the whole season.
But, could not be helped...just too bad.

soulfly
07-27-2010, 07:55 AM

And that's somehow worse than trading assets to get the real Juan Pierre??:rolleyes:

october23sp
07-27-2010, 08:15 AM
If Kotsay was leading off I would say do it, but Pierre is a slightly better version of Pods.

That said, I love Pods.:D:

pythons007
07-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Pods can play left field or DH. He is better than our left fielder and DH. So, it's not the worst idea.

Where are you basing anything that Pods is a better LF? It takes terrible routes to the ball and isn't a great fielder. Pierre is leaps and bounds better than Pods.

Pods and his agent overplayed their hand, got on the market, and ended up only getting 1.7 million. Juan makes 7 million..Sox pay 5 million of that.

Since Pods figured out his leg issues at the beginning of last year, he has stayed healthy and put together two very consistent years. Hit .305 last year with a .760 OPS,and this year is at .308 with .750 OPS. He has 43 rbis and 30 steals out of the leadoff spot,caught 12. Juan is hitting .255,with OPS of .630, 21 rbis,36 steals,caught 12. Juan is a better left-fielder...slightly. Juan's WAR is 0.0, while Pods is at 1.3...

In the end, if Pods had been reasonable and signed for 2 years 4 million, the Sox would have been better off,saving 3 million on payroll,and having a better offensive player the whole season. Pods has only dipped below .300 for a few days. Juan has struggled the whole season.
But, could not be helped...just too bad.

You really can't say that Pods would have had that season with the Sox. I'll give you the average and sbs, but to get RBIs you need to have the opportunities.

hi im skot
07-27-2010, 08:54 AM

You pretty much read my mind.

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2010, 08:57 AM
On the surface this is silly.

But Pods clearly would be an improvement over Kotsay.

Agreed.

I can't believe we have put ourselves in a stuation where Pods would come here as an upgrade to a ML DH situation.

SI1020
07-27-2010, 09:04 AM

But, could not be helped...just too bad. I agree.

Dibbs
07-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Where are you basing anything that Pods is a better LF? It takes terrible routes to the ball and isn't a great fielder. Pierre is leaps and bounds better than Pods.

I agree from a defensive standpoint Pierre is better. Not by as much as you say. However, Pods is so much better on offense, it really isn't even close. I wouldn't trade for Pods, but I don't think it would be as crazy as the people in this thread are making it out to be. He is definitely an overall upgrade to Pierre.

UofCSoxFan
07-27-2010, 09:30 AM
What is Aaron Rowand not available? How about Carl Everett...he's not doing much right now.

SI1020
07-27-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't believe that "it" is a worse fielder than Pierre, or that Pierre is "leaps and bounds" better. If you're into the stat thing, compare the two over their careers and tell me that Pierre is that much superior. One more thing. The "takes bad routes to the ball" argument has grown old and tired with me. Only a few elite outfielders glide effortlessly to the ball almost every time. Some fly balls are lazy "cans of corn" and others are sharply hit and often it takes an outfielder a split second to gauge the trajectory of the ball. Pierre had been a good defender for the Sox this year. Podsednik, while not approaching GG quality is not the butcher some like to portray him. He's had his share of highlight reel catches.

Harry Potter
07-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Roberto Alomar

october23sp
07-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Iguchi.

Tragg
07-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Guys like Pods can be had for free - just pay the salary.
See Iguchi, et al.

UofCSoxFan
07-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Guys like Pods can be had for free - just pay the salary.
See Iguchi, et al.

This is not true at all. While I want nothing to do with Pods, since we already have a better version of him in Pierre and you don't really need two weak hitting speedsters with noodle arms on your team, there is definitely a market and competition out there for a guy with 30 steals and a .300 average. He also makes less than $2 million per year so its not like KC is in desperate need to dump his salary. How does this equat to getting him for "free?"

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/scott-podsednik-drawing-strong-interest.html

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2010, 12:43 PM
What does race have to do with this? Knock it off.

Knock what off? Pods is white and the same player as Juan Pierre. There is nothing controversial about what I posted.

voodoochile
07-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Knock what off? Pods is white and the same player as Juan Pierre. There is nothing controversial about what I posted.

His race has nothing to do with the discussion and adds nothing to the discussion. Thus it's not necessary to mention it so in the future, please refrain from doing so. Thanks in advance.

Bob Roarman
07-27-2010, 01:21 PM
As bad as he's doing this year, Kotsay can give Konerko spot breaks at first as well as Quentin if needed. Pierre is the much better and smarter base runner, and a better outfielder. You want a singles machine to be your full time DH? No thank you. What he would become is their 5th outfielder who can't field and he would be coming off the bench where he wouldn't be getting half the chances to hit as he is with KC is right now, so his hitting would be worthless to the Sox. Why would you want to give up anything for that? He had his chance here and took Kenny Williams for an idiot (or his agent did).

stevemcstud
07-27-2010, 01:21 PM
whoa. didnt expect this much of a backlash.

its not like i was saying that we get rid of pierre for pods. we have a big hole in the dh spot. we need a hitter.

i also said if we can not get a big bat.

i mean is it really all that crazy to want a guy who hits .300 and has stolen 30 bags to replace Kotsay who is hitting .220 ???

he wont cost nearly as much as anyone else, but again this is only my opinion if we cant get a big bat.

stevemcstud
07-27-2010, 01:23 PM
As bad as he's doing this year, Kotsay can give Konerko spot breaks at first as well as Quentin if needed. Pierre is the much better and smarter base runner, and a better outfielder. You want a singles machine to be your full time DH? No thank you. What he would become is their 5th outfielder who can't field and he would be coming off the bench where he wouldn't be getting half the chances to hit as he is with KC is right now, so his hitting would be worthless to the Sox.

Kotsay would be on the bench and we can use Pods bat at the top of the line up.

I dont understand why we cant have Pierre and Pods in the same line up.

Again I would not prefer Pods to be our full time DH, I would like another big bat.

BUT, if we can't get one I would definitely take Pods over Kotsay at DH

Bob Roarman
07-27-2010, 01:28 PM
I'd put Viciedo in the DH spot before I ever take Pods. It's crazy at this point.

stevemcstud
07-27-2010, 01:32 PM
I'd put Viciedo in the DH spot before I ever take Pods. It's crazy at this point.

I completely agree. But Ozzie refuses to do that for some reason.

soltrain21
07-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Kotsay would be on the bench and we can use Pods bat at the top of the line up.

I dont understand why we cant have Pierre and Pods in the same line up.

Again I would not prefer Pods to be our full time DH, I would like another big bat.

BUT, if we can't get one I would definitely take Pods over Kotsay at DH

And I would take a lot of other players over Pods.

Chez
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Activate Harold Baines once his knee feels better.

Dibbs
07-27-2010, 01:40 PM
You want a singles machine to be your full time DH? No thank you.

Quite frankly, I would kill to have a singles machine as a DH for this team. Anything other than Kotsay.

UofCSoxFan
07-27-2010, 01:44 PM
And I would take a lot of other players over Pods.

Exactly. Just becasue player A is better than Kotsay doesn't mean it makes sense to trade for player A when there are much better options out there.

Pods and Pierre are the same player and you really don't want more than one of that type of player on your team. We're talking completely one dimensional players whose job it is to get in scoring position for our big hitters to drive them in. You don't need two guys like that. Frankly I rather keep Kotsay, who is heating up a bit, than trade for Pods, even though in a vacuum Pods is a better player.

hawkjt
07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Exactly. Just becasue player A is better than Kotsay doesn't mean it makes sense to trade for player A when there are much better options out there.

Pods and Pierre are the same player and you really don't want more than one of that type of player on your team. We're talking completely one dimensional players whose job it is to get in scoring position for our big hitters to drive them in. You don't need two guys like that. Frankly I rather keep Kotsay, who is heating up a bit, than trade for Pods, even though in a vacuum Pods is a better player.

Pods is having a significantly better year than Juan,tho. OPS of .752,slugging of .400 ,with 43 rbis(which would place him 4th on the sox behind only PK,TCQ and Alex, vs OPS of .610,slugging .286,with zero homers and 21 rbis for Juan....

Again,not saying we should trade for Pods, just that Pods would have been a much better offensive player for the Sox than Juan this year...and last. And, that Pods is certainly coveted by teams out there,which is the ultimate test of his value. Look for the Giants or Padres to get him in a trade that will benefit our divisional rival,Royals.

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Pods is having a significantly better year than Juan,tho. OPS of .752,slugging of .400 ,with 43 rbis(which would place him 4th on the sox behind only PK,TCQ and Alex, vs OPS of .610,slugging .286,with zero homers and 21 rbis for Juan....

Again,not saying we should trade for Pods, just that Pods would have been a much better offensive player for the Sox than Juan this year...and last. And, that Pods is certainly coveted by teams out there,which is the ultimate test of his value. Look for the Giants or Padres to get him in a trade that will benefit our divisional rival,Royals.

I doubt anyone is arguing Pods isn't better, but he set his price too high in the offseason and forced the Sox to look elsewhere. Something tells me the Royals aren't taking back Pierre in a trade so there is really no point in discussing Scotty coming here.

UofCSoxFan
07-27-2010, 02:42 PM

Pods is having a better year than Pierre. This is true. I still contend Pierre is a slightly better player, but at what they are making and based on this year, Pods is likely the much better value.

I own Pods on my fantasy team and am happy with the production in the stolen base category That being said, a .752 ops stinks. A .400 slugging percentage also stinks. Pods is aslo a worse defender than Pierre (both have crapy arms but Pierre has a better glove). Moreover according to Fangraphs, Pierre's steals have created more runs than Pods, who has gotten thrown out enough times where his baserunning actually leads to a negative impact on his team's scoring.

The problem is the argument for getting Pods isn't weather or not he's an upgrade over Pierre. Its weather he's an upgrade over Kotsay. While the answer to that may be "yes" there are other guys out there who can give us a better than .752 ops from the DH spot. If we are talking about ex-Sox players I'd frankly rather sign Jermaine Dye than bring back Pods. Pods' biggest asset is his ability to steal (which again, according to advanced stats may actually hurt his team), and stolen bases are not what this team is lacking.

WhiteSox5187
07-27-2010, 02:51 PM
He's miles better than Kotsay, but for the first time in awhile we don't really need any additional team speed and another singles hitter. I think we need one of two things (or both!) either a fifth starter or a left handed bat with some pop. Pods is none of those.

sullythered
07-27-2010, 04:52 PM
The Pods hate around here is almost as silly as the Rowand Love/Hate nonsense.

Pods is a pretty good offensive player. I'd take him back, as he would be an improvement. Are there better options, sure, but he would absolutely be an improvement.

Scott Podsednik is a pretty good offensive player, no matter how many eye-rolls or "OH MY GOD NOT THIS AGAIN" posts WSIers want to throw out there.

hawkjt
07-27-2010, 05:01 PM
The Pods hate around here is almost as silly as the Rowand Love/Hate nonsense.

Pods is a pretty good offensive player. I'd take him back, as he would be an improvement. Are there better options, sure, but he would absolutely be an improvement.

Scott Podsednik is a pretty good offensive player, no matter how many eye-rolls or "OH MY GOD NOT THIS AGAIN" posts WSIers want to throw out there.

Agree. For some reason,fans turn on a guy like Pods and he gets way more criticism that he deserves,while others seem to escape the wrath.
Now, Kotsay,I understand the heat, cuz his numbers have sucked all year,but still, I tend to want to defend these Sox because of the piling on that happens...mob mentality.

sullythered
07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Agree. For some reason,fans turn on a guy like Pods and he gets way more criticism that he deserves,while others seem to escape the wrath.
Now, Kotsay,I understand the heat, cuz his numbers have sucked all year,but still, I tend to want to defend these Sox because of the piling on that happens...mob mentality.

Agreed. A Psych major could write his/her thesis on the "WSI Aaron Rowand Phenomena."

Bob Roarman
07-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Because there is a seemingly legion of fans out there that like him for the wrong reasons. He's bad in the field, he's not a good base runner, and offensively he will hit an empty .290-.300. There are just very few good leadoff guys, and he's not one of them. Unless the Royals are dumb enough to do a straight trade of Pierre for Podsednik, he doesn't have a spot on this team. He'd be the fifth outfielder. And you don't put a player like that as your DH, it's ****ing crazy.

BadBobbyJenks
07-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Who has turned on Pods? I love the guy and wanted to keep him, but we didn't and we found his replacement. What the hell are we going to do with Juan Pierre and Scotty? That is stupid.

Let it go.

Sam Spade
07-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Who has turned on Pods? I love the guy and wanted to keep him, but we didn't and we found his replacement. What the hell are we going to do with Juan Pierre and Scotty? That is stupid.

Let it go.
Pods becomes a part of the "rotating" DH. Its not stupid. He is an outfielder like kotsay, though terrible in the field. Its not like kotsay is actually in the field.

Please explain what is stupid about that.

Malgar 12
07-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Pods becomes a part of the "rotating" DH. Its not stupid. He is an outfielder like kotsay, though terrible in the field. Its not like kotsay is actually in the field.

I think he's referring to the concept of having TWO slap hitters in the lineup.

Sam Spade
07-28-2010, 07:02 PM
I think he's referring to the concept of having TWO slap hitters in the lineup.
I guess I don't consider pods a slap hitter. Pierre sure, but pods has been hitting some homeruns, and slugging over .400 for the better part of two years now.

I guess he does literally slap at the ball sometimes, but so does ichiro. Literally slapping at the ball doesn't make you a slap hitter.

thomas35forever
07-28-2010, 07:31 PM
:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

WhiteSoxOnly
07-28-2010, 07:33 PM
:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

CF,between Pierre and TCQ to maximize the outfield defense.:redneck

Bob Roarman
07-28-2010, 07:35 PM

I literally cannot believe this post. Cannot. Believe. It.

WhiteSox5187
07-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Kotsay has said he can no longer play the OF because of his back.

Sam Spade
07-28-2010, 08:37 PM
I literally cannot believe this post. Cannot. Believe. It.
Why? He would be a substantial upgrade over what we have. I am not saying I wanted pods on this team over other good players, just that he would have made this team better. I want kenny to do something, and if he is only going to do something small, this would have been okay.

Past tense because he is apparently going to the dodgers.

Kotsay has said he can no longer play the OF because of his back.

Awesome. He can't hit or field now.

WhiteSox5187
07-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Why? He would be a substantial upgrade over what we have. I am not saying I wanted pods on this team over other good players, just that he would have made this team better. I want kenny to do something, and if he is only going to do something small, this would have been okay.

Past tense because he is apparently going to the dodgers.

Awesome. He can't hit or field now.

Well he can still play first :redneck

The fact he can no longer play the OF is why I think he is going to be DFA'd once Teahen comes back.

Balfanman
07-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Well he can still play first :redneck

The fact he can no longer play the OF is why I think he is going to be DFA'd once Teahen comes back.

If Kotsay is about to be DFA'd then it is pretty dumb to be playing him everyday now.

WhiteSox5187
07-28-2010, 11:08 PM
If Kotsay is about to be DFA'd then it is pretty dumb to be playing him everyday now.

That might be a favor to him to see if he can do anything and have another team take him. He is popular in the clubhouse and presumably with the front office.

hawkjt
07-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Because there is a seemingly legion of fans out there that like him for the wrong reasons. He's bad in the field, he's not a good base runner, and offensively he will hit an empty .290-.300. There are just very few good leadoff guys, and he's not one of them. Unless the Royals are dumb enough to do a straight trade of Pierre for Podsednik, he doesn't have a spot on this team. He'd be the fifth outfielder. And you don't put a player like that as your DH, it's ****ing crazy.

I was not suggesting the Sox get him now, just that he would have been a good player to retain and that he is better than people give him credit offensively. This empty .300 hitter crap is ridiculous. Right now he would lead the Sox in hitting at .310,be third in RBIs at 46...as a leadoff man! And he is second in the league in stolen bases...not sure what a leadoff hitter is supposed to do to be considered good...lead the league in hitting? In July Pods is hitting an empty .407....totally worthless,right?

I hear Bernstein spout this crap about Pods for two years now while he was in love with the great Figgins...the 36 million dollar bust...but hey, his sabre numbers say he would be worth every penny,right?

Oh well, the stupid Dodgers are now stuck with that worthless .310 hitter who has plagued us all year in a KC uni...I am glad he is gone cus he was killing us. I hope he hits .400 the rest of the year,piling up more worthless hits and runs.

voodoochile
07-29-2010, 12:08 AM

There is NO chance he gets DFA'd unless he asks for it. He'll come down with Wise Knee Syndrome before the Sox cut him. That way they can activate him in September and give him his ring next Spring...

Bob Roarman
07-29-2010, 01:39 AM
I was not suggesting the Sox get him now, just that he would have been a good player to retain and that he is better than people give him credit offensively. This empty .300 hitter crap is ridiculous. Right now he would lead the Sox in hitting at .310,be third in RBIs at 46...as a leadoff man! And he is second in the league in stolen bases...not sure what a leadoff hitter is supposed to do to be considered good...lead the league in hitting? In July Pods is hitting an empty .407....totally worthless,right?

I hear Bernstein spout this crap about Pods for two years now while he was in love with the great Figgins...the 36 million dollar bust...but hey, his sabre numbers say he would be worth every penny,right?

Oh well, the stupid Dodgers are now stuck with that worthless .310 hitter who has plagued us all year in a KC uni...I am glad he is gone cus he was killing us. I hope he hits .400 the rest of the year,piling up more worthless hits and runs.

You can't magically put Pods on this team and say everything remains the same, that's impossible. Right now he would lead the Sox in hitting? You mean the "right now" with Pierre on the team where Pods would be coming off the bench as yet another outfielder who can't play the outfield because he's not as good as the players at his position? Or are you talking about the "right now" in an alternate reality where the Sox don't trade for Pierre and cave into Podsednik's ridiculous contract demands which opens up even more avenues of possible confliction of events that have transpired this season?

Either way, you can't make that claim. There are just too many variables to consider that can offset anything and everything and in effect makes what he's doing in KC irrelevant to whatever he would've done if he played here with this particular team, that of which we can never know. His production in KC cannot be used as an argument.

hawkjt
07-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Well, Pods led the Sox in hitting last year at .304,and he led off for the Sox just like he is leading off for KC,so I am not so sure he would not have the same numbers again this year. He is playing the same division,against the same teams as the Sox, and he is putting up even better numbers.

It is a moot point,I agree. I conceded that Pods and his agent blew this anyway. Just sticks in my craw how guys like Bernstein have beaten him up for two years,mainly because of sabremetric numbers and a misconception that fans are simply clinging to him due to 2005...not me. I just saw a guy who picked the Sox up out of the dirt last year when he came aboard for next to no money, a guy who had figured it out finally, who finally knew how to keep his body intact, an actual live .300 hitter in a sox uni(which we have not had for too long) and he is getting ripped by all the fantasy-league experts. I know the concept of clutch is ridiculed also, but in my opinion,he was one of the more clutch guys on the team last year,and with his rbis this year, he is doing it again.