PDA

View Full Version : 2010 first half radio-tv numbers released

Fenway
07-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Big drop off in Boston - Twins and Reds surging - Oakland and Anaheim nobody watches

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.printArticle&articleId=66312

gregoriop
07-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Poor Wrong Sox fan Mike McLaughlin. He's not excited about them because they have no star power. :(: Can we set up a fund to help the Red Sox add a star to their $168m payroll?

gregoriop
07-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Wow, 2 teams in the nation's 2nd biggest city, 2 teams in the nation's 3rd biggest city and a team in the nation's 4 biggest city are all in the bottom 8.

Fenway
07-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Wow, 2 teams in the nation's 2nd biggest city, 2 teams in the nation's 3rd biggest city and a team in the nation's 4 biggest city are all in the bottom 8.

Anaheim is 29th on TV but 5th on radio - obviously rush hour factor.

Boston was hurt by Celtics run (and Bruins for a bit) but still at 150,000 households almost equals Cubs-WS combined (160,000) Obviously the Hawks influenced Chi ratings.

BUT what these figures show is New York City is baseball mad. The LA ratings for both teams are hideous.
$

gogosox675
07-27-2010, 09:16 AM
There are a lot more people watching the Reds where I live than I can ever remember. Where I live is pretty much divided between the Cubs, Cardinals, and Reds. It's nice to see the Reds make a comeback and gain back a little of their fan base.

g0g0
07-27-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm really surprised the Mets were so high on radio broadcasts.

Max Power
07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't say nobody is watching the Angels. They may have the lowest average rating, but they do still have the fifth largest number of average viewers per game. A lot of people are watching them, but a lot more could be watching them.

I'm surprised at all the mediocre teams with higher ratings than the Sox.

PatK
07-27-2010, 12:04 PM
I can't believe that so many people listen to the audible dysentery that is a Cubs radio broadcast

g0g0
07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
I can't believe that so many people listen to the audible dysentery that is a Cubs radio broadcast

I don't mind Pat Hughes, but would love to get Stoney back. Then we could dump Ron in the lake.

downstairs
07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Maybe the Sox and Cubs numbers drops are because of the Blackhawks? I know I only have so much time to dedicate to sports, and I don't want to hog the TV... so I admit that I missed quite a few Sox games. Moreso than other years.

downstairs
07-27-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't mind Pat Hughes, but would love to get Stoney back. Then we could dump Ron in the lake.

I take it you're a Cubs fan, so probably biased- like Sox fans are as well. But Pat Hughes just comes off as boring. No personality. All of the Cubs announcers post-Harry seem to have that corporate personality.

Not counting Ron- who I'm glad to see we all agree is a goof that needs to go.

g0g0
07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I take it you're a Cubs fan, so probably biased- like Sox fans are as well. But Pat Hughes just comes off as boring. No personality. All of the Cubs announcers post-Harry seem to have that corporate personality.

Not counting Ron- who I'm glad to see we all agree is a goof that needs to go.

Very true. He's definitely not a color analyst. But he has a good voice and gives just the right amount of information IMO. I don't want a Ron or Hawk blabbering throughout the game. I think that's why I enjoyed Stoney and Harry so much - Stoney kept him in line most of the time and filled in with great information when needed. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic though... :(:

Fenway
07-28-2010, 06:33 AM
Poor Wrong Sox fan Mike McLaughlin. He's not excited about them because they have no star power. :(: Can we set up a fund to help the Red Sox add a star to their $168m payroll?

More tears

http://s.boston.com/u/nrMx

Foulke You
07-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Maybe the Sox and Cubs numbers drops are because of the Blackhawks? I know I only have so much time to dedicate to sports, and I don't want to hog the TV... so I admit that I missed quite a few Sox games. Moreso than other years.
I think the Hawks lengthy playoff run definitely hurt the Sox and Cubs combined with the fact that both teams were horrendous in April and May. The Sox rebounded so I expect the 2nd half numbers to be much higher because of the Pennant race.