PDA

View Full Version : 10 Weeks Left in the season... Do you believe?

doublem23
07-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Monday marks there are only 10 weeks left in the 2010 regular season.

Do you believe in the Sox?

HomeFish
07-26-2010, 09:57 AM
I believe that the Minnesota Twins will be the 2011 American League Central Division Champions

hawkjt
07-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Yes,I do. I think the Sox match up well vs the Tigers,always have,and now even better with their injuries. Sox play them 6 at home and 8 in Detroit. Sox have 6 at home vs the Twins,with 3 left up there.

These 23 games will probably determine the Sox fate,and I like their chances of going 13-10 or better in those games. Two 4 game series with the Tigers will expose their thin rotation.

TheOldRoman
07-26-2010, 10:01 AM
I actually hit the wrong option. I would have voted for yes. :D:

I don't have any idea. They could continue playing well or they could fall back into the 2006,2008,2009 August tailspins and hand the Twins another division. One thing I do know is the Tigers are done. They were done before they lost Ordonez. This will be a two team race, and the Sox should win unless they fall one their faces again.

october23sp
07-26-2010, 10:26 AM
I believe that the Minnesota Twins will be the 2011 American League Central Division Champions

Sweet.

LITTLE NELL
07-26-2010, 10:29 AM
I voted yes but I'd feel better about it if Peavy was able to pitch.

Rocky Soprano
07-26-2010, 10:29 AM
It's Going To Happen! :redneck

Who cares about next year.

Moses_Scurry
07-26-2010, 10:32 AM
As much as it breaks my heart to say it, if there's one thing the White Sox organization has shown pretty consistently over the years, it's that they tend to fade in the second half. I hope that it doesn't happen this year, but I'm still skeptical.

october23sp
07-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Why not? We've already gotten this far.

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2010, 10:37 AM
As much as it breaks my heart to say it, if there's one thing the White Sox organization has shown pretty consistently over the years, it's that they tend to fade in the second half. I hope that it doesn't happen this year, but I'm still skeptical.
So far, it looks like this season could be the opposite of that. They "faded" in the 1st half and have really picked it up in the last couple of months.

dwitt76
07-26-2010, 10:40 AM
I think they will win it. I dont think Minnesota has the pitching and we have just enough hitting at the moment. I would not mind adding another bat before Sat.

BleacherBandit
07-26-2010, 10:46 AM
This one is up in the air for me. I don't think that the Sox will become a non-factor; I think it'll come down to the wire. So there's no way of telling. The Sox have the staff to bring a division title to Chicago this year, but they've also demonstrated that they can descend into a collective slump.

sox1970
07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I like the Sox chances, but they need to do a whole lot of winning the next few weeks. When the Sox get done in Minnesota on August 19, if they have a 3 game lead or better with 41 games left, I really like the Sox chances. Anything worse, I'm not as optimistic.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm not 100% sold that we'll win, but I like our chances as much as anyone's. I'd like to see another one of those ten game winning streaks, that would help a lot.

soxfanatlanta
07-26-2010, 11:20 AM
I think they can do it; I'd love to see a Sox-Braves WS!

Hitmen77
07-26-2010, 11:21 AM
I can't really make a guess until after the trade deadline. What if Minnesota or Detroit makes a huge acquisition? What if the Sox acquire a big bat? I really doubt we will make a big trade by the deadline, but we'll know better after Saturday.

Agreed. Even in 2008 we squandered what was once a 6 1/2 game lead and needed 3 straight wins at the end of the season to win the division.

Last year we were tied for first on July 23 and went nowhere but down from there and ended up with 79 wins in 3rd place.

We're already starting our post all-star break part of the season with more of the same. We've dropped 6 of our last 9 and the Twins have gained 3.5 games on us in that stretch. Until the White Sox show some of that spark they had before the ASB again, I don't have a lot of confidence in this team.

I think Ozzie's "we don't need a DH" plan is really going to cost us in the end.

SI1020
07-26-2010, 11:22 AM
I think they can do it; I'd love to see a Sox-Braves WS! Me too. Unfortunately I don't think the Sox are WS material this year.

GoGoCrede
07-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Only 10 weeks? :whiner:

I'm saving up for playoff tickets. Opened a savings account a few weeks ago. That's how much I believe. :smile:

Dan H
07-26-2010, 11:29 AM
I want to be optimistic and so I am voting yes. A 25-5 run is no fluke. Yet they had played so poorly for the 50+ games and that can't be called a fluke, either. It can be tough to analyze this team. This past road trip was not very good.

The biggest thing that concerns me is their ability to go into one of their long offensive funks. Stay out of those long non-hitting streaks, and the White Sox should be fine, warts and all. Regardless, they will not run away with anything. They can't afford to lose winnable games like they did in Minnesota, Seattle and Oakland. I don't think the Twins are that good but they just beat the Sox three out of four. It is going down the last days of the season unless the Sox forget totally how to hit.

jdm2662
07-26-2010, 11:53 AM
The Sox have a great chance as I don't think the Tigers are Twins any thing special. However, neither are the Sox. All teams have holes, and the Tigers are in trouble with their injuries.

Nelfox02
07-26-2010, 12:08 PM
we are able to stay in this for the long haul, but the Twins take this division this year

TheOldRoman
07-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Can my vote be changed, please? I clicked on the wrong one.

voodoochile
07-26-2010, 12:27 PM

I can change the number but not the name, sorry.

doublem23
07-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Nope. You'll have to wait a few weeks until I do a new poll.

Domeshot17
07-26-2010, 12:34 PM
I will tell you on July 31st. As constructed, we don't have enough offense to win it. We add a hitter, I say yes.

khan
07-26-2010, 12:48 PM
If the purpose of the exercise is to win a division [which is an accomplishment many of us will forget about in a few years], then sure: this team is as good as any in the craptacular AL Central.

If, however, you believe that the SOX should be in the business of winning World Series [as I do], then this team is probably not good enough NOW, nor will it be likely to win the World Series with an aquisition.

I simply want this team to aim for greater things than a mere division championship.

Moses_Scurry
07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Years the Sox started out strong and faded in the 2nd half:

2009, 2008, 2006, 2005 (yes I realize it was more Cleveland being red hot, but the Sox were still cooler in the 2nd half), 2004, 2002, 2000, 1996.

There is only one year in my memory that the sox started weak but finished strong enough to win the division: 1983

They could have done it in 2003 if not for the late collapse to the minnows.

Here's to hoping that this year is like 1983 and not like 2003!! :gulp:

Madvora
07-26-2010, 01:06 PM
I actually do feel pretty confident now that the Sox will win the division, but I'm not sure past that. I think it's because of the long, long, boring and bad start that I don't see a champion in this team. Even when they exploded their way back with all of those wins, I don't feel that special thing that the 2005 team had. I had no idea the 2005 team was going to win it all. That was a huge surprise, but I just liked them better than this team.

tstrike2000
07-26-2010, 01:07 PM
I think they'll win the Central dependent on Hudson or whoever's pitching in Peavy's spot to be consistent along with a lock down closer.

voodoochile
07-26-2010, 01:08 PM
If the purpose of the exercise is to win a division [which is an accomplishment many of us will forget about in a few years], then sure: this team is as good as any in the craptacular AL Central.

If, however, you believe that the SOX should be in the business of winning World Series [as I do], then this team is probably not good enough NOW, nor will it be likely to win the World Series with an aquisition.

I simply want this team to aim for greater things than a mere division championship.

Every team wants to win the WS. Most teams are actively trying to do so. Most of those teams have similar flaws that the Sox do - an area(s) that could use improvement.

The top three teams in the ALC are a combined:

2 games under .500 vs. the ALE
8 games over Vs the ALW
14 games over VS the NL

I think the crappiness of the ALC is exaggerated. Yes, the Yankees make everyone look crappy, but the rest of the league is no better than the top three teams in the ALC...

SoxGirl4Life
07-26-2010, 01:14 PM
None of the AL Central teams are burning hot right now. We have shown that we CAN get hot... VERY hot.

I think they do it. They'll make us sweat, and swear, and want to rip our hair out, but in the end they'll get it done!

mccoydp
07-26-2010, 01:16 PM
I think the Sox will win the Central, although it will probably be tight with the Twins until the end.

october23sp
07-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Soxtober.

LoveYourSuit
07-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Why not? We've already gotten this far.

How far is that ?

We've been in first place for about 2 weeks, after climbing out of hole the size of the Grand Canyon.

doublem23
07-26-2010, 01:40 PM

A) I still wear my 2000 Division Champs shirt. There's nothing illegitimate about winning a division title in baseball.

B) Given the turmoil this team went through, I think a division title would be special. There's also some youth playing on this club, several guys who could be key cornerstones as the Sox continue to reshape themselves from the 2005 guys to the future guys. Some winning experience never hurt anyone.

Honestly, on June 1, or anytime before the 11-game win streak, if someone would have told you the Sox would win the division in 2010, I think you'd be pretty happy with that. Plus, the added income, increased ticket sales for 2011, increased attention both nationally and locally, a trip to the playoffs could be the first step in becoming the AL Central powerhouse we should be. Teams just don't leap into dynasties with all gears clicking, they have to start somewhere.

october23sp
07-26-2010, 01:45 PM
How far is that ?

We've been in first place for about 2 weeks, after climbing out of hole the size of the Grand Canyon.

That's exactly what I mean by "this far." If we could get to first place why not win this thing?

harwar
07-26-2010, 01:52 PM
I never did stop believing .. i know we will win the central .. even without Jake Peavy i think that we can go far in the post season ..

voodoochile
07-26-2010, 01:55 PM
I never did stop believing .. i know we will win the central .. even without Jake Peavy i think that we can go far in the post season ..

We're already starting to see the dividends of the 2008 season in the development of Floyd and Danks. They've now been through all this one time and shouldn't wilt under the stress of a pennant chase or even once the playoffs get here. If they can get through the blackout game and pitch on short rest successfully like they did back then, they should be good for the stretch run this year.

khan
07-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Every team wants to win the WS. Most teams are actively trying to do so. Most of those teams have similar flaws that the Sox do - an area(s) that could use improvement.

The top three teams in the ALC are a combined:

2 games under .500 vs. the ALE
8 games over Vs the ALW
14 games over VS the NL
I think the crappiness of the ALC is exaggerated. Yes, the Yankees make everyone look crappy, but the rest of the league is no better than the top three teams in the ALC...

The SOX are <.500 v. the ALC [17-20] and ALE [7-11]. The SOX are <.500 v. the AL in general, too. [I have it at 38-41.]

There's nothing really "wrong" with winning a division, but even a loser franchise like the scrubs have won divisions in recent years.

kufram
07-26-2010, 02:12 PM
I believed that they weren't as bad as they were playing the first 10 weeks (or so). The averages just couldn't stay that low. The streak was almost too good to be true and that is averaging out a little now. I believe that these guys believe and that can be very important.

Why would I not believe now? Any team can get hot at the right time and beat everyone else for 3 weeks. I think we are very dangerous if we can make the post season and, obviously, we can make the post season.

WS titles are very hard to win. Even the Yankees can't buy one most of the time. Team chemistry and luck play can play a huge role. If you have to have a WS titled to be satisfied it's going to be a tough time.

khan
07-26-2010, 02:16 PM
A) I still wear my 2000 Division Champs shirt. There's nothing illegitimate about winning a division title in baseball.
I don't disagree with you. But then, no one should go out and try to be "pretty good."

B) Given the turmoil this team went through, I think a division title would be special. There's also some youth playing on this club, several guys who could be key cornerstones as the Sox continue to reshape themselves from the 2005 guys to the future guys. Some winning experience never hurt anyone.
I don't like to celebrate my team being a little bit above average. I like championships. But that's just me.

Honestly, on June 1, or anytime before the 11-game win streak, if someone would have told you the Sox would win the division in 2010, I think you'd be pretty happy with that. Plus, the added income, increased ticket sales for 2011, increased attention both nationally and locally, a trip to the playoffs could be the first step in becoming the AL Central powerhouse we should be. Teams just don't leap into dynasties with all gears clicking, they have to start somewhere.
This team would have to have a ****-ton more in the minors to become a dynasty. Trading away resources to get a rent-a-player to merely win a division would probably move this team AWAY from being a dynasty, not towards this end.

And again, this team making it to first place, while an improbable and a happy thing to witness, is equally testament to the incompetence of minnesota/detroit as it is to the SOX improving their play, in my opinion. [Getting free wins against the little-boy NL didn't hurt, either.]

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I think this divisional race with the Twins is going to be so close that it will take until the last weekend for it to be decided.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2010, 02:53 PM
I want to be optimistic and so I am voting yes. A 25-5 run is no fluke. Yet they had played so poorly for the 50+ games and that can't be called a fluke, either. It can be tough to analyze this team. This past road trip was not very good.

The biggest thing that concerns me is their ability to go into one of their long offensive funks. Stay out of those long non-hitting streaks, and the White Sox should be fine, warts and all. Regardless, they will not run away with anything. They can't afford to lose winnable games like they did in Minnesota, Seattle and Oakland. I don't think the Twins are that good but they just beat the Sox three out of four. It is going down the last days of the season unless the Sox forget totally how to hit.

I guess this depends on what you mean by long hitting streaks, but I think for the Sox to win this division they are going to have to do it on the backs of their pitching and their defense. If you have good enough pitching and defense you can win a lot of games when your offense only manages three runs. Yea, I would like to see another bat, but if we keep pitching well and playing good defense (that will mean Quentin is going to have to DH more than he would like), we'll be fine even without another bat.

Dick Allen
07-26-2010, 03:31 PM
As some have mentioned, I think a lot will be determined by what happens by the trade deadline. Personally, I think losing Peavy is going to cost us.

doublem23
07-26-2010, 04:05 PM
This team would have to have a ****-ton more in the minors to become a dynasty. Trading away resources to get a rent-a-player to merely win a division would probably move this team AWAY from being a dynasty, not towards this end.

And again, this team making it to first place, while an improbable and a happy thing to witness, is equally testament to the incompetence of minnesota/detroit as it is to the SOX improving their play, in my opinion. [Getting free wins against the little-boy NL didn't hurt, either.]

I disagree, have you seen how the players we dealt away turn out?

khan
07-26-2010, 04:14 PM
I disagree, have you seen how the players we dealt away turn out?

Sure. Remember when the SOX used to have players to deal away instead of the piles of polished turds in the minors?

ghostface36
07-26-2010, 04:16 PM
yes i think were going to win the central, and snap off a few more 6-7 game winning streaks
we just need to get back on top of our defense

gogosox675
07-26-2010, 04:18 PM
As it stands right now, I say we win the division by a nose. Hopefully we can get a bat or a good arm and put a lot of pressure on the Twins and Tigers.

Noneck
07-26-2010, 08:26 PM
I cant decide until after the trade deadline, so then I will know which team wants the division the most.

LongLiveFisk
07-26-2010, 09:23 PM
We're supposed to be totally biased on this site! And especially since our competition isn't better, have to vote Sox all the way. :D:

ghostface36
07-26-2010, 10:18 PM
honestly i think next year we have a better chance of winning the world series, but we have a chance to this year, with our number 1, 2 and 3 pitchers (when on their game) all have barely hittable stuff and a very good bullpen. But, our offense can be spotty and with another year will be much much better. That being said, when were at our best i dont think any team can beat us

soxfanreggie
07-26-2010, 10:27 PM
I voted yes, but that is with the teams currently as they are. Who knows what moves the Tigers and Twins will make - they could mortgage their farm systems and acquire a ton of talent to make this race one heck of a 10-week period.

fram40
07-26-2010, 11:21 PM
YES! they win the division. By at least five games. Hudson goes .500 and averages a little over 5 innings per start. With the bullpen the Sox have, that will get them to 90 wins.

Detroit is finished and Minnesota needs a lot of pitching help. At least two good starters and I don't see that happening. Minnesota's pitching - both starters and relievers - will let them down.

As for the playoffs - anything is possible with two dominant pitchers. That has been shown repeatedly. Why not Floyd and Danks? They've certainly been dominant the last 6 weeks. And Buehrle is certainly capable of outstanding outings as well.

BadBobbyJenks
07-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow 107-10 and all I ever hear is complaining about Dark Clouds.

I am really confident that the Tigers are out of it and I know KW is going to add some type of bat.

twinsuck
07-26-2010, 11:44 PM
I predict the Sox make the playoffs, then lose in 5 games to the Yankees in the first round. It'll come down to the last at bat. 2 outs in the top of the 9th at Yankee Stadium, 4-3 Yankees. Alex Rios manages to get a 2 out double against Mariano Rivera and then Paulie comes up to the plate and strikes out on 3 crappy pitches. It's heartbreaking. :whiner:nah, just kidding. Paulie hits a 2 run homer and the Sox take a 5-4 lead, Bobby nails it down in the bottom half. It's the turning point in the Sox playoff run and they don't lose another game!

TDog
07-27-2010, 12:56 AM
I think the White Sox will win the division with a good shot at going to the World Series. Neither the Twins or Tigers have the pitching the White Sox do. Both have overworked bullpens.

As far as the postseason is concerned, a lot will depend on the condition of the starting pitching at the end of the season. If the Sox have Danks, Floyd and Buehrle pitching as they are now, I think the White Sox will be in great shape to make an October run.

I would love to see the White Sox face the Giants in the World Series.

guillensdisciple
07-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Where's the world series option?

FireMariotti
07-27-2010, 02:49 AM

I voted yes on this thread without reading any posts. The results were 91% yes 9% no. I immediately predicted that Homefish would be one of the few to say no. Thank you for not disappointing yet again. Brutal.

HomeFish
07-27-2010, 10:51 AM
I voted yes on this thread without reading any posts. The results were 91% yes 9% no. I immediately predicted that Homefish would be one of the few to say no. Thank you for not disappointing yet again. Brutal.

The Twins have our number this season, are hot right now (won 19-1 yesterday), and are only 1 GB.

Hopefully we will sweep Seattle, but even if we sweep Oakland, the Twins are going to pulverize us the next time we go to Target Field.

DumpJerry
07-27-2010, 10:54 AM
The Twins have our number this season, are hot right now (won 19-1 yesterday), and are only 1 GB.

Hopefully we will sweep Seattle, but even if we sweep Oakland, the Twins are going to pulverize us the next time we go to Target Field.
...and you know this how?

DumpJerry
07-27-2010, 10:56 AM
I think the White Sox will win the division with a good shot at going to the World Series. Neither the Twins or Tigers have the pitching the White Sox do. Both have overworked bullpens.

As far as the postseason is concerned, a lot will depend on the condition of the starting pitching at the end of the season. If the Sox have Danks, Floyd and Buehrle pitching as they are now, I think the White Sox will be in great shape to make an October run.

I would love to see the White Sox face the Giants in the World Series.
The perfect World Series matchup this year for the media would be the White Sox and Braves. The "Mentor vs. Mentee" storyline would capture America's hearts.

HomeFish
07-27-2010, 10:59 AM
...and you know this how?

Obviously it's just a prediction, just like every other post in this thread. But I think that given how poorly we play against the Twins, it's a highly likely one.

Twins = huns
White Sox = roman villagers

sad but true

DumpJerry
07-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Obviously it's just a prediction, just like every other post in this thread. But I think that given how poorly we play against the Twins, it's a highly likely one.

Twins = huns

sad but true
Oh yeah, those one run games in April at home and that split in May in Minneapolis don't count because they would mess up your theory.

Chez
07-27-2010, 01:26 PM
It's going to be a battle with the Twins to the end. I've been pessimistic since the Peavy injury, but unless the Twins add a starting pitcher before the deadline, I think we will win the division by two games.

hawkjt
07-27-2010, 01:37 PM

Twins = huns

sad but true

Which is why I am glad the Sox have 6 of these last 9 games at Soxpark.
The Twins have scored 29 runs the last two games...can they keep it up? I doubt it.

Hitmen77
07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
One big factor in whether the Sox will win the division is Carlos Quentin. We've all seen how he can be a monster and spark our offense when he's on a roll. Unfortunately, the nagging injuries and missed games over the last couple of weeks seem to have cooled him off.

If he can get on a roll again and not get sidetracked with injuries, then that's like adding an MVP-caliber bat to our lineup.

guillensdisciple
07-28-2010, 10:19 AM
While it will be okay to win the Division, I will only be happy with a world series championship.

I want a winner here, a second world series and another banner hanging at the cell. A parade in Chicago, and the White Sox to be number one in Chicago.

I want that.

TheOldRoman
07-28-2010, 10:51 AM
While it will be okay to win the Division, I will only be happy with a world series championship.

I want a winner here, a second world series and another banner hanging at the cell. A parade in Chicago, and the White Sox to be number one in Chicago.

I want that.Okay, have fun with that. It is a pleasure to have meaningful baseball to watch in August and hopefully September into October. If the Sox win the division this year I will be thrilled. If nothing less than winning a World Series makes you happy, you are going to have a very unhappy life. It is about the journey. We watch baseball because we love it, not on the off-chance our team wins it all in a given year.

soxpride724
07-28-2010, 11:14 AM
As the team currently is constructed I voted no, I'm not so sure they can hang on. Now if they pick up another starter and or lefty hitter then that changes things.

guillensdisciple
07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Okay, have fun with that. It is a pleasure to have meaningful baseball to watch in August and hopefully September into October. If the Sox win the division this year I will be thrilled. If nothing less than winning a World Series makes you happy, you are going to have a very unhappy life. It is about the journey. We watch baseball because we love it, not on the off-chance our team wins it all in a given year.

Oh no, I will be thrilled when they win and watching great baseball getting to it- but I will still be disappointed if the playoffs is our only outcome. Might as well go the whole way if you get there.

TommyJohn
07-28-2010, 07:07 PM
The perfect World Series matchup this year for the media would be the White Sox and Braves. The "Mentor vs. Mentee" storyline would capture America's hearts.On the contrary, we would get sportswriters and bloggers beefing, bitching, and moaning about how "no one cares" about this series. How do I know? Because that's what they do every year.

WhiteSox5187
07-28-2010, 07:47 PM
On the contrary, we would get sportswriters and bloggers beefing, bitching, and moaning about how "no one cares" about this series. How do I know? Because that's what they do every year.

Unless the Red Sox or Yankees are involved!

GoSox2K3
08-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Unfortunately, I've seen enough to vote "no". This team can't win a series against the awful Orioles, we can't beat Cleveland, we lose a series in KC.
Even against Detroit, we barely escaped with a series win vs. a Tigers team that is falling apart.

I think it's telling that the Twins can easily handle the O's and then we come to town and it's suddenly "whoa, the Orioles aren't as bad as people think". We can't beat Baltimore pitchers with 6+ ERAs (Walkerball at its finest)....if we are having trouble with these lousy pitchers, then this team is not a serious contender.

For some reason, a staple of White Sox baseball over the last decade or so has been for the team to slump in the 2nd half. Even when we won game 163 in '08, we had blown a 6.5 game division lead before we won the tiebreaker. This team is no different, except that we didn't have a 6.5 game cushion to blow. If anything, this team is most like 2003: we got on a hot streak and stormed into 1st place but then we choked away that lead to the Twins over the last 6 weeks.