PDA

View Full Version : Cause of Sox offense woes...

Iwritecode
06-24-2002, 02:09 PM
I don't know that this is the only problem but I'm certain that it is a big part of it. I was listening to Farmer and Rooney yesterday and Lofton was up. He ended up striking out and they said that they think he is still bothered by a sore hamstring and that his shoulder is probably still bothering him. I also noticed a stat one day that said he was 0 - 10 at one point. That got me thinking about the 2000 season. One saying that year was "As goes Ray, so goes the team." Typically, if Ray had an off-day, the whole team had an off day. So I went back and checked the last dozen games to see how the Sox leadoff men have been doing. Between Lofton, Durham and every once in a while Tony or Aaron, they are a combined 5-36. That is a total of 5 wins. So I went back and checked a dozen games from the beginning of the season when the offense was scoring runs. They won 10 of the 12 games with the leadoff spot going 25 - 51. The leadoff man seems to be a big part of this offense. Get on base, steal second, distract the pitcher and make him pitch out of the stretch, let the #2 and #3 guys hit with a runner in scoring position. That has not been happening these past few weeks. As good as a pickup as Lofton was, if he is hurt and Ray is as streaky as he usually is, this team could be in big trouble. Problem is, I have no idea what to do about it...

Cheryl
06-24-2002, 02:32 PM
They could sit Lofton down until he's actually healed. But him on the 15 day DL retroactive to about a week ago, and bring someone up from AAA for a look.

And fire Nardi.

Iwritecode
06-24-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
They could sit Lofton down until he's actually healed. But him on the 15 day DL retroactive to about a week ago, and bring someone up from AAA for a look.

And fire Nardi.

The only problem is that I think his injuries are those nagging type ones that can last all season long. They seemed to last year in Cleveland...

When healthy, Lofton is the best option for leadoff. Ray is second best. It gets progressively worse after that. Tony or Rowand can do it but it isn't pretty. Harris doesn't have enough PT yet. I don't know that there is anyone else in the minors capable of it...

delben91
06-24-2002, 03:01 PM
And fire Nardi.

I know it's redundant, but I concur...

:firenardi

NUKE_CLEVELAND
06-24-2002, 04:44 PM
I pretty much agree with that , but the total lack of consistency in the lineup is a major contributing factor to what's going on with these gus. Add to that the fact that no matte how bad he sucks, THE CHOICE! is still getting a lot of playing time.

TornLabrum
06-24-2002, 04:55 PM
Add to that the fact that no matte how bad he sucks, THE CHOICE! is still getting a lot of playing time.

And even worse he's clogging up the roster spot that rightfully belongs to Joe Crede. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

RKMeibalane
06-24-2002, 06:01 PM
I have a feeling that if things don't change soon, Joe Crede may become the real-life version of Crash Davis, the greatest minor league player of all time.

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2002, 12:48 AM
They could sit Lofton down until he's actually healed. But him on the 15 day DL retroactive to about a week ago, and bring someone up from AAA for a look.You can only put a player on the DL retroactively if he didn't actually play those games!