PDA

View Full Version : Montreal to spend 300M fixing Stade Olympique

Fenway
07-25-2010, 08:30 PM
INSANITY

http://www.montrealgazette.com/What+with+Montreal+infamous+Olympic+Stadium/3315858/story.html

cards press box
07-25-2010, 08:45 PM
I remember when the Expos considered playing at Fenway Park for a year before moving to Washington. That leads me to a question for Fenway, the poster: how do you think people in Boston (and New York) would respond if a National League team (say the Marlins) moved to Boston and an American League team (say the Rays or A's) moved to Jersey City?

Fenway
07-25-2010, 09:01 PM
I remember when the Expos considered playing at Fenway Park for a year before moving to Washington. That leads me to a question for Fenway, the poster: how do you think people in Boston (and New York) would respond if a National League team (say the Marlins) moved to Boston and an American League team (say the Rays or A's) moved to Jersey City?

No question NY/NJ could support a third team especially in Jersey.

Boston / New England could also support another MLB team. The NE from Philly to Maine is baseball crazy.

cards press box
07-25-2010, 09:16 PM

Boston / New England could also support another MLB team. The NE from Philly to Maine is baseball crazy.

I know that the Yankees would fight relocation of a franchise into New Jersey tooth and nail (and the Red Sox probably wouldn't be crazy about a National League team in Boston, either) but it would be great for fans in the area. The new teams would generate a lot of interest and the competition would either lower the ticket prices of the Yankees/Red Sox or, in the alternative, would provide fans with a major league baseball at an affordable prices with the new teams.

What's more, a new ballpark on the waterfront in Jersey City would be aesthetically pleasing.

WhiteSox5187
07-25-2010, 09:43 PM
As much as Loria helped, that stadium more than anything else, killed the Montreal Expos. I wonder if this is being done partially to help woo the A's to Montreal. Wasn't there a rumor that they were talking to Montreal?

Brian26
07-25-2010, 09:58 PM
INSANITY

http://www.montrealgazette.com/What+with+Montreal+infamous+Olympic+Stadium/3315858/story.html

As much as Loria helped, that stadium more than anything else, killed the Montreal Expos. I wonder if this is being done partially to help woo the A's to Montreal. Wasn't there a rumor that they were talking to Montreal?

I read the article, and there's not one mention of luring a baseball team back to the facility. It seems the focus is to make it a more attractive public venue, inside and out, which is a worthy and noble endeavor. Too much focus is placed on tearing down nowadays instead of trying to make creative and economically feasible solutions.

I don't think the stadium killed the Expos. The downfall can be attributed to years of neglect by the ownership group in terms of marketing and branding. I remember reading that, near the end, the Expos didn't even have a French radio in Montreal.

Fenway
07-26-2010, 07:04 AM
I read the article, and there's not one mention of luring a baseball team back to the facility. It seems the focus is to make it a more attractive public venue, inside and out, which is a worthy and noble endeavor. Too much focus is placed on tearing down nowadays instead of trying to make creative and economically feasible solutions.

I don't think the stadium killed the Expos. The downfall can be attributed to years of neglect by the ownership group in terms of marketing and branding. I remember reading that, near the end, the Expos didn't even have a French radio in Montreal.

Stadium had a major impact. A beam fell in September of 1991 which forced the team to play all road games the final month and many fans refused to set foot in the place.

The Expos were always on French radio (CKAC 730) but English radio was internet only for 2 years.

Hitmen77
07-26-2010, 01:13 PM

How about this:
Move the A's to New Jersey (NY Metro, but their fan base could extend to the Philadelphia suburbs in NJ), move the Braves to New England, move the Rays to Atlanta to replace the Braves.

There you go. Boston and Philadelphia (sort of) get their other teams back and NY becomes a 3 team market again. What about St. Louis, can they still support 2 teams? Maybe we can bring the Browns back too!:redneck

....and, no, I'm not serious.

voodoochile
07-26-2010, 01:29 PM

If they move anywhere, it will be San Jose. Was at a couple games this weekend and there were banners all over the park begging the team not to move to San Jose.

Anything that brings more sports closer to me is a good thing, IMO. The 9ers are moving to Santa Clara (about 15 minutes away compared to the 45+ to get to SF). If the A's move to downtown San Jose, I'll go to more games...

gogosox675
07-26-2010, 04:24 PM
It sounds like the city is taking the right approach with renovation. If it can't be torn down, it makes sense to renovate it so they can draw conventions and other events to the city.

Zakath
07-26-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm all for the A's moving to Montreal, if it means that the Twins move to the Western Division. My fear would be that KC would go West instead.

BleacherBandit
07-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Part of me doesn't want to see the A's move again. They had such a storied franchise in Philadelphia that fell victim to the low attendance rates in the 1940s and 1950s. Then they moved to Kansas City. Then they moved to Oakland and have spent the last four decades steadily adopting a heritage in that city. Please, don't move to Montreal!

DumpJerry
07-26-2010, 06:34 PM
New York City can support another MLB team with no difficulty.

Heck, they've did it in the past before television brought the games to the masses every night.

GoSox2K3
07-26-2010, 07:07 PM

The Marlins aren't going anywhere. They have a new stadium under construction in Miami that is going to open in 2012.

With the Marlins getting a new stadium, I can't think of any NL team that is a candidate for moving. The weakest NL franchise (after Florida) in terms of fan support is probably Pittsburgh and there's no way MLB is going to let PNC Park be abandoned.

soxfanreggie
07-26-2010, 09:47 PM
The Marlins aren't going anywhere. They have a new stadium under construction in Miami that is going to open in 2012.

With the Marlins getting a new stadium, I can't think of any NL team that is a candidate for moving. The weakest NL franchise (after Florida) in terms of fan support is probably Pittsburgh and there's no way MLB is going to let PNC Park be abandoned.

I do wonder how the Marlins will fare with a new stadium. I'll venture they'll be alright, especially if they increase their payroll in conjunction with opening the new stadium.

Hitmen77
07-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I do wonder how the Marlins will fare with a new stadium. I'll venture they'll be alright, especially if they increase their payroll in conjunction with opening the new stadium.

The Marlins often field a competitive team. If they continue to do so, I wouldn't be surprised if they draw good crowds in their new Miami ballpark.

Not all new parks have translated to success at the turnstyle. Many call PNC Park one of the best in the majors, but the Pirates still don't draw well......of course, 18 consecutive losing seasons will do that. The Brewers seem to have become a good draw since Miller Park opened. Before that, they never drew well at County Stadium. The Giants made a huge turnaround too. They didn't draw well at unpopular Candlestick Park but have huge crowds now at their new park.

downstairs
07-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Montreal is my second favorite city, and I enjoyed visiting Stade Olympique. However, the article is correct... it needs a makeover outside. Its could be a beautiful outside park- the grounds are ENORMOUS. But it comes off as nothing more than a parking lot.

With the money they spent on it, and the fact this its nearly impossible to tear down... its not going anywhere. But it, indeed, could be a great public space around the stadium.

esbrechtel
07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Its a push to get the next Winter (Heritage?) Classic :D:

elrod
07-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Interestingly, the Expos suffered a lot of the same problems the Sox suffered after 1994. Both teams were in first place and looked favored to meet in the World Series. Then the strike ruined the season and both teams became mediocre after that. Sox attendance recovered only in 2000 when the team won the division. And then it picked up again in 2003 before peaking in 2005-06. The Expos just never turned it around. Superstar after superstar (Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Moises Alou, Vlad Guerrero, Larry Walker, etc.) got traded away. The team stopped trying to field a winner and the stadium got nastier.

People forget that Montreal was actually a great baseball town in the 1970s and 1980s. But don't expect baseball ever to return there. More likely is that baseball would expand to a city like Nashville, Charlotte or Salt Lake City.

Fenway
07-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Interestingly, the Expos suffered a lot of the same problems the Sox suffered after 1994. Both teams were in first place and looked favored to meet in the World Series. Then the strike ruined the season and both teams became mediocre after that. Sox attendance recovered only in 2000 when the team won the division. And then it picked up again in 2003 before peaking in 2005-06. The Expos just never turned it around. Superstar after superstar (Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Moises Alou, Vlad Guerrero, Larry Walker, etc.) got traded away. The team stopped trying to field a winner and the stadium got nastier.

People forget that Montreal was actually a great baseball town in the 1970s and 1980s. But don't expect baseball ever to return there. More likely is that baseball would expand to a city like Nashville, Charlotte or Salt Lake City.

It was a great baseball town.

Like many other franchises it drew better on the weekends than early in the week. The stadium itself was the problem. It is located in the eastern part of the island and not very close to the expressway system. It is on the Metro (subway) but that was useless for the anglophone population as the Metro never served English neighborhoods on the western part of the island.

The 94 strike broke the fans hearts and after the fire sale many decided not to give the team any money. Also back then the CDN dollar was very weak (100 USD bought 150 CDN) and fas were also bitter about the Blue Jays winning back to back.

BTW the Jays have never recovered from the strike either.

In honour of Nos Amours - here is the Expos anthem

ZjinbyfuuHA

Fenway
07-28-2010, 05:26 AM
I found this tribute video for Nos Amours - the last 2 minutes gives a feel of just how bad Stade Olympique was for baseball

CWSJCzBq5rg

Hitmen77
07-28-2010, 09:15 AM
If they move anywhere, it will be San Jose. Was at a couple games this weekend and there were banners all over the park begging the team not to move to San Jose.

Anything that brings more sports closer to me is a good thing, IMO. The 9ers are moving to Santa Clara (about 15 minutes away compared to the 45+ to get to SF). If the A's move to downtown San Jose, I'll go to more games...

I doubt the A's are going to Montreal. If you google search Oakland A's and Montreal, there is nothing out there about any such discussions.

I don't know how the A's will resolve their stadium woes, but I find it hard to believe that MLB will want to pull the American League out of the huge Northern California market. This would also leave the Angels as the only AL team in California. I'm sure the Angels would hate that. Their nearest division rival would then be 1,000 miles away in Seattle. Their only other division rivals would be way out in Texas and (probably) Kansas City. I'm sure the Royals would hate that too.

There are issues with moving to San Jose too. There's controversy over an upcoming stadium ballot measure and the Giants have territorial rights to San Jose.
http://www.mercurynews.com/southbaybaseball/ci_15588282?nclick_check=1

I don't see MLB returning to Montreal any time soon, if ever. Yes, the Expos had a heyday in the 1970s, but I don't think a franchise would find that market enticing under today's MLB economics.

Fenway
07-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Montreal did love them

5O8zR7owP-Q

Foulke You
07-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Part of me doesn't want to see the A's move again. They had such a storied franchise in Philadelphia that fell victim to the low attendance rates in the 1940s and 1950s. Then they moved to Kansas City. Then they moved to Oakland and have spent the last four decades steadily adopting a heritage in that city. Please, don't move to Montreal!
I'm with you here. I hate to see teams that have lots of history in a city move away. The A's have been in Oakland for a long time now and I'd feel pretty bad for their fans if the team moved away. Think of how much it would hurt all of us if the White Sox left Chicago. I remember sweating it out in the late 80s when Reinsdorf was threatening to move the team to Florida. I couldn't imagine life without the Pale Hose. I wouldn't wish that on another fanbase that cares about their baseball team...even the ones I hate like the Twins, Yankees, or Cubs.

I can identify a bit with A's fans too because they are the 2nd team in the bay area on the less glamorous side of town. I'm sure there are Athletics fans in Oakland that are wondering if they are watching the final seasons of their favorite team. It would be a shame if the A's left. I honestly believe the biggest problem they have is that ballpark they play in. The place was meant for football and is terrible for baseball. If they had their own new ballpark, I think things could be different for them.