PDA

View Full Version : Starter or hitter

thomas35forever
07-25-2010, 03:55 PM
If you could only have one, who would you rather the Sox acquire: a bat or a fifth starter?

If we lose this division, I don't want the reason to be we lost Peavy for the season. Get an arm.

Pablo_Honey
07-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Let's not have a knee-jerk reaction and call for Hudson's head just yet. I'd say a bat will have a constant impact on this team as opposed to a pitcher who will only pitch once in 5 days.

Frater Perdurabo
07-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Depends on the price. Trading Hudson, Beckham or Quentin weakens the team, and Morel is our future 3B. Most of our other decent prospects either can't be traded (Sale) or are injured (Mitchell).

I want whatever a package of the remaining uninjured (and admittedly flawed) prospects can get us.

DumpJerry
07-25-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm with Ozzie. Don't break up the band.

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Hudson has not impressed, we need a starter.

LoveYourSuit
07-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Hudson is not the answser as the #5, get another pitcher.

Pablo_Honey
07-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Hudson has not impressed, we need a starter.

Hudson is not the answser as the #5, get another pitcher.
Yup, because 3 starts is a very legit way of determining future success :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
07-25-2010, 04:29 PM
So far, we have not lost a game Hudson has started (today's game is still in progress).

Slappy
07-25-2010, 04:32 PM
They're both so important to the team going forward, it's pointless to pick one or the other. We need both.

soltrain21
07-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Yup, because 3 starts is a very legit way of determining future success :rolleyes:

How many starts do you give him while you are in a pennant race? They aren't saying trade him because his future is terrible.

Pablo_Honey
Seriously, this is a meaningless poll. Why? Ask this on a day where our pitching staff limits the other team to 1 run but we still lose because our offense couldn't hit one of those infamous future potential Cy Young winners. I'm sure the poll would show a result quite the opposite to the one we are seeing now. Ask this on a day where one of our starters has a meltdown, and the result is what you are seeing now. I'm guilty of my fair share of knee-jerk reactions but this is just silly. This is Hudson's third start in the year. Let the kid do settle down before calling him a bust.

Hitmen77
So far, we have not lost a game Hudson has started (today's game is still in progress).

....and regardless of Hudson's performance today (which isn't good), our 3-hits vs. Mr. "0-5 since the perfect game" isn't going to win many ball games either.

soltrain21
07-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Can't we get a decent hitter and a decent starter?

Pablo_Honey
07-25-2010, 04:37 PM
How many starts do you give him while you are in a pennant race? They aren't saying trade him because his future is terrible.
I'd say one more. So far we've had two wild outings and one solid one. If he evens it out the next outing, then we are fine. If he continues his wild streak, then yes acquire a starter.

Maybe I'm just overanalyzing people's posts but it sure sounded like people are saying Hudson is done for. I'm sure LoveYourSuit was the one who referred to Hudson as Danny Wright part 2 in the Gameday thread, so maybe that's why I think that way.

Boondock Saint
07-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Can't we get a decent hitter and a decent starter?

*gasp*

Someone call KW! This idea needs to get to his ears now! :tongue:

Noneck
07-25-2010, 04:43 PM
I dont think Hudson is ready and am concerned that the the Sox already got what they could out of Freddy. I would go for #4 starter.

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Is there anything more arbitrary than the notion of a "no. 4" starter vs. a "no. 5" starter?

WhiteSox5187
07-25-2010, 05:01 PM
I think Hudson has a bright future, but in a pennant race you can't really have much on the job learning. So I would prefer to have another guy out there just in case Hudson keeps pitching like this.

Pablo_Honey
07-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Any arm that we would be able to depend on down the road will cost us Hudson/Viciedo/Morel. No thanks. Unless the other teams are really desparate to dump contracts a la the Peavy trade or are simply a joke of an organization like the Astros when they got ripped off in that Tejada trade.

DumpJerry
07-25-2010, 05:15 PM
There's a reason why teams want Hudson included in any deal. That tells me we should hold onto him-he will be with us longer than any rental.

Pablo_Honey
07-25-2010, 05:20 PM
There's a reason why teams want Hudson included in any deal. That tells me we should hold onto him-he will be with us longer than any rental.
I believe that has more to do with the fact that Hudson's the only decent pitching prospect in this pathetic farm system, but yeah Kenny should hold onto Hudson unless he was blown away by the other team's offer (E.g. Fielder, Dunn). No way should we give up any one of the top prospects just so that we can acquire a rental to win this joke of a division.

Slappy
07-25-2010, 05:33 PM
I believe that has more to do with the fact that Hudson's the only decent pitching prospect in this pathetic farm system, but yeah Kenny should hold onto Hudson unless he was blown away by the other team's offer (E.g. Fielder, Dunn). No way should we give up any one of the top prospects just so that we can acquire a rental to win this joke of a division.

That was my impression as well. I haven't heard a single rumbling of a team actually announcing they want Hudson.

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2010, 05:35 PM
That was my impression as well. I haven't heard a single rumbling of a team actually announcing they want Hudson.
Have you ever heard a "single rumbling of a team actually announcing they want" anyone? Teams don't announce who they want.

Slappy
07-25-2010, 05:41 PM
I guess you're right. Like for example it's never been reported in the paper or on mlbtraderumors.com that a team is actively pursuing a guy. Like the Sox with Adam Dunn. No, that would never happen.

voodoochile
07-25-2010, 05:44 PM
I guess you're right. Like for example it's never been reported in the paper or on mlbtraderumors.com that a team is actively pursuing a guy. Like the Sox with Adam Dunn. No, that would never happen.

Do you actually think Hudson has similar name recognition as Dunn?

Yes, sports writers do guess/speculate about which teams are interested in which players. Some of that is backed up by inside sources telling them what teams have inquired about which players, but...

The Sox are notoriously tight lipped about who they are after an who they are willing to part with.

And...

No one is looking at Hudson as the "missing piece to the puzzle" (if he was the Sox would simply keep him) thus there is little "market" to speculate/guess on him.

Edit: Thus it's not hard to see why Dunn's name is all over the trade rumors and Hudson is not...

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2010, 05:44 PM
You're right. No team has ever been linked to Hudson in a rumor.

Of course, that has absolutely nothing to do with your original post. The White Sox have never announced "we want Dunn!"

Slappy
07-25-2010, 05:49 PM
No one is looking at Hudson as the "missing piece to the puzzle" (if he was the Sox would simply keep him) thus there is little "market" to speculate/guess on him.

Edit: Thus it's not hard to see why Dunn's name is all over the trade rumors and Hudson is not...

Don't know why you're telling me this. You need to direct that towards Grebeck.

kittle42
07-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Kneejerk bull****.

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Don't know why you're telling me this. You need to direct that towards Grebeck.
That, or post a link to Webster's; specifically the entry for "announce."

Domeshot17
07-25-2010, 05:58 PM
We desperately desperately need a hitter. This team is not good enough to win in october as is.

Pitching, If we can add an upgrade over Hudson for the stretch cheap id do it.

Baron
07-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Ted Lilly? What would it take to aquire him? But I for sure think we need a starter

Pablo_Honey
07-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Kneejerk bull****.
This.

WhiteSox5187
07-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Ted Lilly? What would it take to aquire him? But I for sure think we need a starter

Lilly might get killed in our park. It's nice to get an ace or something, but I'd settle for a good number three groundball type pitcher.

But as others have mentioned this is somewhat kneejerk as I think Hudson is going to develop into a great pitcher. I guess you're probably just going to have to live with starts like this.

Baron
07-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Lilly might get killed in our park. It's nice to get an ace or something, but I'd settle for a good number three groundball type pitcher.

But as others have mentioned this is somewhat kneejerk as I think Hudson is going to develop into a great pitcher. I guess you're probably just going to have to live with starts like this.

I think Hudson will be decent sooner or later....but really we cant have these starts with such a close race.

kittle42
07-25-2010, 06:17 PM
I think Hudson will be decent sooner or later....but really we cant have these starts with such a close race.

At least we don't have Jeff Suppan...or Nick Blackburn.

Things could be worse!

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2010, 08:32 PM

The Cubs may not be sellers, they are playing pretty good ball lately and could make a run at the NL Central.

kittle42
07-25-2010, 08:41 PM
The Cubs may not be sellers, they are playing pretty good ball lately and could make a run at the NL Central.

A minor post-ASB run does not a contender make.

doublem23
07-25-2010, 08:49 PM
A minor post-ASB run does not a contender make.

Yeah, also they're chasing 3 teams right now, and for as well as they've played since the All-Star Break, they've picked up zero games on the NL Central leader since then.

We played great, no doubt, but just as important to our run to the top of the division was the fact that the Twins and Tigers both tanked.

DirtySox
07-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Both. League average pitcher would be fine.

kittle42
07-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Both. League average pitcher would be fine.

Agreed. Hell, I'd be happy with a 4.50-4.80 ERA guy as long as he was consistent.

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Yeah, also they're chasing 3 teams right now[QUOTE=doublem23;2568430], and for as well as they've played since the All-Star Break, they've picked up zero games on the NL Central leader since then.

Right, but none of them are the 1927 Yankees.

cards press box
07-25-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm with Ozzie. Don't break up the band.

I'm with Ozzie on this one, too. Now, if the Sox can get a Luke Scott and/or a Jake Westbrook without giving up Beckham, Hudson, Morel, Flowers or Viciedo, that's a different story.

Along a similar line of thought, Tory Renck of the Denver Post has tweeted (https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/19499891227) that the Sox may be interested in Brad Hawpe and that the Sox would deal Mark Teahan for Hawpe.

On a totally unrealted note, anyone watch the ESPN Sunday night game tonight? Bobby Valentine, allegedly interested (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/valentine-interested-in-cubs-managerial-opening.html) in becoming the next manager of the Cubs, practically gave a valentine to Wrigley Field tonight, calling it "perfect." Having been there, I have another word for it. Am I wrong or is Mr. Valentine trying to kiss up to Cubs brass?

DirtySox
07-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Along a similar line of thought, Tory Renck of the Denver Post has tweeted (https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/19499891227) that the Sox may be interested in Brad Hawpe and that the Sox would deal Mark Teahan for Hawpe.

That swap would be amazing if Kenny somehow pulled it off. I don't care that Hawpe is a statue in the OF.

doublem23
07-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Right, but none of them are the 1927 Yankees.

So?

There's 10 weeks left in the season. They need three teams to start losing.

And again, despite their hot start out of the gate since the All-Star Break, they haven't picked up a game on the division leader. Went into the All-Star Break 9.5 games out of first. Woke up today 9.5 games out of first place.

They're not making a run at anything.

cards press box
07-25-2010, 09:21 PM
That swap would be amazing if Kenny somehow pulled it off. I don't care that Hawpe is a statue in the OF.

Yeah, I was also trying to figure out why the Rockies would do that? Hawpe has struggled this year, no doubt about it, and Teahan could fill in at several positions for the Rockies, including first base. With Helton on the DL, the Rockies played Melvin Mora at 1B today. Hawpe is a free agent at the end of the year, I think, so perhaps the Rockies value Teahan's flexibility over Hawpe's current outfield play. Lately, the Rockies have been playing Ryan Spilborghs, Dexter Fowler and Carlos Gonzalez in the outfield.

Dibbs
07-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Both. However, I'd rather see Garcia or Hudson than Kotsay. So we definitely need a hitter.

thomas35forever
07-25-2010, 10:20 PM

I'd do that in a heartbeat. I see no use for Teahen this year and I'm afraid of what he could be in the future.

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2010, 10:25 PM
I'd do that in a heartbeat. I see no use for Teahen this year and I'm afraid of what he could be in the future.
He is who he is. And, for the record, what he is will not get Hawpe.

Boondock Saint
07-26-2010, 12:01 AM
He is who he is. And, for the record, what he is will not get Hawpe.

And, before today, nobody would have said that Joe Saunders would get Dan Haren. I'm not saying that it'll happen, but nobody can tell what goes on in the mind of an MLB GM.

Rohan
07-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Who do we trust to bring someone around in the next few weeks? Greg Walker or Don Cooper?

I trust both of them. But definitely one more than the other. Answer the above question and you have your answer.

Slappy
07-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Uhhh....

My head hurts?

Frater Perdurabo
07-26-2010, 06:24 AM
And, before today, nobody would have said that Joe Saunders would get Dan Haren. I'm not saying that it'll happen, but nobody can tell what goes on in the mind of an MLB GM.

But why would the Rockies trade a solid hitter for a guy on the DL?

cards press box
07-26-2010, 08:08 AM
But why would the Rockies trade a solid hitter for a guy on the DL?

I read that Teahan might get cleared to resume baseball activities today. So he could be coming off the DL soon. As for Hawpe, the concern in Denver is that he hasn't hit that well this year.

october23sp
07-26-2010, 08:22 AM
I think the division will be won this week by who the Twins and/or Sox get.

rdwj
07-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Out hitting isn't good enough and Quentin is always a sneeze a way from be done for the season. If we can add Fielder, we need to do it. Freddy is what he is - he's getting the job done with the tools he has. No reason he can't continue to do that. Hudson worries me, but if we only need to see him once every 5th game at the most, we can survive.

Carneyman14
07-26-2010, 08:31 AM
both

russ99
07-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Out hitting isn't good enough and Quentin is always a sneeze a way from be done for the season. If we can add Fielder, we need to do it. Freddy is what he is - he's getting the job done with the tools he has. No reason he can't continue to do that. Hudson worries me, but if we only need to see him once every 5th game at the most, we can survive.

After seeing 4th and 5th wet the bed this weekend, we absolutely need another starter, whatever the cost. Remember Freddy's outing in NYC? We won't be playing the likes of Pittsburgh, Washington, the Cubs, Kansas City, Seattle and Oakland down the stretch and into the postseason.

We also need a hitter, but any improvement from 1 or 2 of the spots in the lineup would make a difference, so I'd think a lesser upgrade would fit the bill, and also wouldn't hit the payroll to the point where we couldn't add an impact bat this offseason.

A hitter would be nice, but a starter is essential if we want to make the playoffs.

Craig Grebeck
07-26-2010, 08:50 AM
After seeing 4th and 5th wet the bed this weekend, we absolutely need another starter, whatever the cost. Remember Freddy's outing in NYC? We won't be playing the likes of Pittsburgh, Washington, the Cubs, Kansas City, Seattle and Oakland down the stretch and into the postseason.

We also need a hitter, but any improvement from 1 or 2 of the spots in the lineup would make a difference, so I'd think a lesser upgrade would fit the bill, and also wouldn't hit the payroll to the point where we couldn't add an impact bat this offseason.

A hitter would be nice, but a starter is essential if we want to make the playoffs.
Textbook kneejerk.

october23sp
07-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Textbook kneejerk.

Garcia will be fine. Hudson can't throw strikes.

mjmcend
07-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Hudson can't throw strikes.

Hudson's minor league 10.9 K/9 vs. his 2.5 BB/9 begs to differ.

kittle42
07-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Hudson's minor league 10.9 K/9 vs. his 2.5 BB/9 begs to differ.

Exactly. Too early to judge, and it sucks that we'll have to find out in a pennant race, but with Peavy out, so be it.

Not much of a coincidence that the Hudson sucks crowd is quite similar to the "DFA Player X" crowd of many a gamethread.

october23sp
07-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Exactly. Too early to judge, and it sucks that we'll have to find out in a pennant race, but with Peavy out, so be it.

Not much of a coincidence that the Hudson sucks crowd is quite similar to the "DFA Player X" crowd of many a gamethread.

Well the pennant race thing is why I don't want to **** around with waiting for his control.

hawkjt
07-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Hitter. Hudson only will get maybe 7 more starts this season. If he can win 3 of them...we will get by. Freddy has a 70% quality start ratio,which means probably 9 good starts with about 3 stinkers the rest of the way...we can live with that.

Clearly, losing Jake has an impact but the ball will fly in Soxpark the next 6 weeks with this hot summer,so we can hit over some bad starts,if we hit like we should..which would be helped by one more lefty bat.

Gavin
07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
At this point, another injured SP will probably tank the White Sox. An injured John Danks/Mark Beurhle will absolutely tank the White Sox. I am not so sure what would happen if Rios or Konerko went on the DL but they might still be able to scrape by like in 2008 when Quentin went down.

Baron
07-26-2010, 12:34 PM
At this point, another injured SP will probably tank the White Sox. An injured John Danks/Mark Beurhle will absolutely tank the White Sox. I am not so sure what would happen if Rios or Konerko went on the DL but they might still be able to scrape by like in 2008 when Quentin went down.

Your exactly right....I was listening to the 670 the score the other day and they were talking about this exact thing.Even if it was Freddy that got hurt this team would go down the tubes.

mjmcend
07-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Your exactly right....I was listening to the 670 the score the other day and they were talking about this exact thing.Even if it was Freddy that got hurt this team would go down the tubes.

None of that is surprising. If any team loses 2 out of its starting 5, they are going to have major problems.

Baron
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
None of that is surprising. If any team loses 2 out of its starting 5, they are going to have major problems.

Well its even more a concern because Freddy has had problems before and Mark.....hasnt been hurt yet*knock on wood* but with all those miles there is a bigger risk

Crestani
07-26-2010, 02:21 PM
We need a proven starter to replace Peavy down the stretch, not Adam Dunn who will clog up the baselines provided he gets on base. Obviously I am not an Adam Dunn fan.

LoveYourSuit
07-26-2010, 02:27 PM
We need a proven starter to replace Peavy down the stretch, not Adam Dunn who will clog up the baselines provided he gets on base. Obviously I am not an Adam Dunn fan.

Adam Dunn

23 HRs
27 Doubles
2 Triples
.935 OPS

He would be #1 in all those categories for our team.

You still think all he would do is clog up the baselines?

Come one.

Have we not had enough of watching Kotsay out there. Kotsay clogs up home plate, that's what he does because he doesn't even get to first base.

Boondock Saint
07-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Adam Dunn

23 HRs
27 Doubles
2 Triples
.935 OPS

Come one.

Have we not had enough of watching Kotsay out there. Kotsay clogs up home plate, that's what he does because he doesn't even get to first base.

Testify!

Crestani
07-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Adam Dunn

23 HRs
27 Doubles
2 Triples
.935 OPS

Come one.

You failed to mention Dunn's strike outs..!! And yes, he will still clog up the bases and we need a 5th starter IMO..!!

Boondock Saint
07-26-2010, 02:40 PM
You failed to mention Dunn's strike outs..!! And yes, he will still clog up the bases and we need a 5th starter IMO..!!

You can find one of those pretty easily. I would much rather go and get the middle of the order guy that every pitcher in baseball has reservations about pitching to.

LoveYourSuit
07-26-2010, 02:41 PM

Adam Dunn will have more of an impact on this team than a 5th starter will. It's not even close.

Paulwny
07-26-2010, 02:46 PM
You can find one of those pretty easily. I would much rather go and get the middle of the order guy that every pitcher in baseball has reservations about pitching to.

Yep, it's time the sox' NL offense joined the AL .

LoveYourSuit
07-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Yep, it's time the sox NL offense joined the AL .

In 15 minutes we will have that reminder when the line-ups are posted here.

Get the barf bag ready (Kotsay hitting 5th) :rolleyes:

Crestani
07-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Adam Dunn will have more of an impact on this team than a 5th starter will. It's not even close.

I sincerely hope your right and that it doesn't cost too much..!! But I still think we need a front line starter more. I am very concerned about Freddy holding up.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2010, 02:56 PM

No, if Hudson keeps pitching like he has of late it doesn't matter who we have. It's hard to out slug opponents consistently. You need to have at least five quality guys out there, not four and hope you can out slug your opponents on the fifth day. Look at what happened in 2003 and 2004. We also struggled mightily in 2008 after Contreras went down, people point to us losing Carlos but losing our fifth starter hurt a hell of a lot more.

LoveYourSuit
07-26-2010, 02:58 PM
I sincerely hope your right and that it doesn't cost too much..!! But I still think we need a front line starter more. I am very concerned about Freddy holding up.

Yeah, I agree about Freddy. We might be putting too big of a load on him and expecting him to duplicate the 1st half. The guy is throwing 86 mph beach balls up there, scarry.

Now a front line starter like Oswalt or Haren, yes I would take that over Dunn. But not just a 5th starter over Dunn. No way.

kittle42
07-26-2010, 02:59 PM

"Baseclogging" = possibly the worst concept I've seen argued on this board.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2010, 03:06 PM
"Baseclogging" = possibly the worst concept I've seen argued on this board.

It tends to get overused but when you had a 3-4-5 like we had last year of Thome, Konerko and Dye on the bases, it can hurt. None of those guys can score from second on a single or go from first to third with any degree of ease so having those guys hitting right after another could kind of clog up the bases and actually take you out of some rallies. It's hard to score bunches of runs when you have three guys in the heart of your order who can't score from second on a single.

kittle42
07-26-2010, 03:10 PM
It's hard to score bunches of runs when you have three guys in the heart of your order who can't score from second on a single.

I'll take anyone of that description over Mark Kotsay.

Boondock Saint
07-26-2010, 03:12 PM
I'll take anyone of that description over Mark Kotsay.

You can't clog the bases when you ground out to second 75% of the time.

JB98
07-26-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm actually kind of surprised the voting is so tight in this poll. To me, it's obvious that offense is a more pressing need.

Down the stretch of the season, the Sox can go to four starters if need be. I don't think the fifth starter is going to cost the Sox the division. And if the Sox are fortunate enough to make the playoffs, a fifth starter is unnecessary.

A DH, OTOH, is necessary.

soxfanreggie
07-26-2010, 11:24 PM
I voted for a hitter over a 5th starter in regards to who we've been linked to so far. That could change if the Sox were in the market for a #1-#3 starter over a mediocre bat.

Hitmen77
07-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Morrissey's opinion:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/morrissey/2546146,CST-SPT-morrissey29.article

konerko 14
07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
I'd go after another starter, put Hudson in the bullpen for the rest of the year and send Threets back down.

PhillipsBubba
07-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Sox need a starter...Hudson isn't ready for prime time

Jurr
07-29-2010, 03:14 PM
I think the opinion of trading for a left handed power hitter over a starter is utterly ridiculous. This offense has enough to compete, especially if Beckham keeps producing. You have long ball hitters. You have base stealers and guys that can get a bunt down. Pitching is going to win this thing, period.

doublem23
07-29-2010, 03:25 PM
I think the opinion of trading for a left handed power hitter over a starter is utterly ridiculous. This offense has enough to compete, especially if Beckham keeps producing. You have long ball hitters. You have base stealers and guys that can get a bunt down. Pitching is going to win this thing, period.

We have a guy slugging .351 batting 6th tonight. I respectfully disagree.

Hitmen77
07-29-2010, 04:14 PM
We have a guy slugging .351 batting 6th tonight. I respectfully disagree.

The other concern I have is the uncertainty of Quentin. It isn't only that the nagging injuries keep him out of the lineup, but I'm worried that these disruptions of playing time throw some cold water on him when he gets hot.

Not that I expect him to hit at insane levels for the entire 2nd half, but he was a monster for us for a few weeks....then he gets sidelined for a stretch and now he's no longer mashing the ball. If he was more consistent as the big slugger in our lineup, then we could live with the hole at DH. But if Carlos is going to have trouble staying on a roll, then we need to do better than have Kotsay in the heart of our lineup.

downstairs
07-29-2010, 04:22 PM
If you told me at the beginning of the season that we'd start slow, and lose Peavy for the year... I'd assume the team is done.

But somehow they're pulling it off. So I would not "break up the band" in terms of pitching.

We could always use a hitter, and that's easier to get into the mix.

markopat
07-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Just read this...He would be an OK 5th starter.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38484311/ns/sports-player_news/

kobo
07-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Just read this...He would be an OK 5th starter.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38484311/ns/sports-player_news/
There is another report stating that if they land Jackson they could use him to try and acquire Dunn. If Hudson is part of the deal to get Jackson, and then they end up trading Jackson for Dunn, who becomes the 5th starter? That doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

doublem23
07-30-2010, 10:09 AM
There is another report stating that if they land Jackson they could use him to try and acquire Dunn. If Hudson is part of the deal to get Jackson, and then they end up trading Jackson for Dunn, who becomes the 5th starter? That doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

Jackson is nothing special at all. We'd still be in need of a 5th starter if he didn't get swapped for Dunn.

mattcoz
07-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, there's gotta be more to this.