PDA

View Full Version : Buster Poser

Slappy
07-25-2010, 02:33 PM
The rookie Giants catcher currently has a 17 game hitting streak going (and has generally just been tearing it up with the bat), which is good for a tie with former Giant Orlando Cepeda's rookie record, set in 1958. 5 more games and he'll tie Willie McCovey's record from 1959.

He's got a laser arm and has shown some power (hitting dingers at home as well as away), too, which is surprising some people. What's everyone think about this guy? Is his ceiling at or above Mauers? Too early to tell?

People were raving about him so much in the fantasy world that I picked him up before he played a game, said bye bye to Yadier Molina and haven't looked back.

SephClone89
07-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm missing why you think he's a poser. :tongue:

Brian26
07-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Posey.

Poser is what you are.

Slappy
07-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Pablo_Honey
07-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Not to be nitpicky, but it's Buster Posey...or was that intentional? Anyway, he absolutely raked in college (won Golden Spike) but IIRC, his power numbers were not expected to translate fully to MLB level. He was projected to hit about 10-20 HRs, providing solid hitting skills all-around and a nice defense behind the plate. His pitcher handling is believed to be not as advanced as his other skills IIRC. Randy Johnson complemented on Posey's ability as a catcher but it may have just been for the sake of a confidence booster.

Slappy
07-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Not to be nitpicky, but it's Buster Posey...or was that intentional? Anyway, he absolutely raked in college (won Golden Spike) but IIRC, his power numbers were not expected to translate fully to MLB level. He was projected to hit about 10-20 HRs, providing solid hitting skills all-around and a nice defense behind the plate. His pitcher handling is believed to be not as advanced as his other skills IIRC. Randy Johnson complemented on Posey's ability as a catcher but it may have just been for the sake of a confidence booster.

Yeh it was a joke.

IIRC, so did Mark Kotsay. :wink: At least they make a habit of saying it every 5 minutes on MLB The Show.

Pablo_Honey
07-25-2010, 03:14 PM
IIRC, so did Mark Kotsay. :wink: At least they make a habit of saying it every 5 minutes on MLB The Show.
Haha, I didn't know that. Still, Kotsay was a solid starting centerfielder in his prime. It's not like he's sucked this much for his entire career. Recent winners of Golden Spikes include guys like Harper, Strasburg, Price, Lincecum and Weaver. I'd say that's a very good promising list of players.

Slappy
07-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Haha, I didn't know that. Still, Kotsay was a solid starting centerfielder in his prime. It's not like he's sucked this much for his entire career. Recent winners of Golden Spikes include guys like Harper, Strasburg, Price, Lincecum and Weaver. I'd say that's a very good promising list of players.

I know, I kid. It's just....it's Mark Kotsay. Our bad back scrappy Mark Kotsay.

Slappy
07-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Make that 18 games, and another rbi.

TDog
07-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Buster Posey hasn't just been a better hitter this year than Gordon Beckham was at any time last season, but he has been a great defensive catcher. He also is a big reason the Giants have a great shot at winning the NL West this year. I didn't expect him to be such a good hitter, but I am really surprised he is such a good defensive catcher.

He didn't come up in May, but he has to be considered the leading candidate for NL rookie of the year. He could threaten for the NL batting crown this year.