PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal says KW "confident" he will land Dunn or Fielder

doublem23
07-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Little vlog posted at Fox Sports.com.

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/MLB?vid=26847e9d-0a50-46c5-bb3a-29384ffb29ee

White Sox feature starts at :32 and lasts until about 1:10.

Rosenthal also notes that he believes if the Sox don't land one of the big fish, they're going to go small and improve the bench and bullpen.

Rockabilly
07-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Lets hope we get Fielder

doublem23
07-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Lets hope we get Fielder

Just depends on the price.

JermaineDye05
07-24-2010, 10:55 PM

Rosenthal also notes that he believes if the Sox don't land one of the big fish, they're going to go small and improve the bench and bullpen.

I saw the same thing.

I'm curious who his sources are, because Kenny is known to be fairly quiet in regards to moves. I mean he didn't even say anything when everyone knew the Sox had claimed Rios through process of elimination last year.

JermaineDye05
07-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Just depends on the price.

I think you're gonna pay through the nose no matter what.

Fielder >>> Dunn.

BleacherBandit
07-24-2010, 11:07 PM
I don't want anything to do with Fielder, personally. It will be too much of a price to land a player who will stick around for essentially a year and a half.

Anybody else feel this way?

narski
07-24-2010, 11:10 PM
i don't want anything to do with fielder, personally. It will be too much of a price to land a player who will stick around for essentially a year and a half.

+1

JermaineDye05
07-24-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't want anything to do with Fielder, personally. It will be too much of a price to land a player who will stick around for essentially a year and a half.

There's no guarantee Dunn will stay here either. Word is that he doesn't like to DH.

I'll take a year and a half of Fielder if it means a better shot for the Sox to win at least one world series in the next two seasons.

In all honesty, I really don't see either coming here. I'd love it, but I just don't see it happening. If Kenny is confident, I'm guessing it's because he believes the price to go down for one of those sluggers which I really don't see happening, especially with Dunn considering the Nats can get the draft picks. Also, Milwaukee could get a much better package in the offseason with Prince, assuming he doesn't suffer some crazy injury.

hawkjt
07-24-2010, 11:31 PM
I am firmly on the side of keeping our young players. I would be shocked if Kenny swung a deal for either guy,but if he does, I am going to be concerned. I want to watch Beckham,Viciedo,Hudson,Carlos,and Mitchell in the near future as Sox.
If Kenny can get Fielder or Dunn for other guys,fine..but not this crew.

JermaineDye05
07-24-2010, 11:34 PM
I am firmly on the side of keeping our young players. I would be shocked if Kenny swung a deal for either guy,but if he does, I am going to be concerned. I want to watch Beckham,Viciedo,Hudson,Carlos,and Mitchell in the near future as Sox.
If Kenny can get Fielder or Dunn for other guys,fine..but not this crew.

I don't think you have to worry about him. I'd be SHOCKED if any team would want him after his injury. Mitchell's most prominent skill was his speed. He's also a great athlete, but that speed was key for him. Considering it was an ankle injury, I'm sure all the scouts want to see how he recovers from the surgery before teams start talking about a trade.

UofCSoxFan
07-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Banners fly forever. I'd trade any prospect besides Beckham (who I think is crucial to winning this year too) for Fielder or Dunn. Viciedo, Hudson, Torres, Mitchel, etc....all tradeable.

Kenny is one of the best GMs in the game. When he trades a prospect we almost always get the better end of the deal, even for a rent a player. The closest any ex-Sox prospect has come to burning us is Chris Young...who strikes out way too much and was key to us landing Carlos Quinten when AZ though they were set in OF...and Gio Gonzalez...who would be a fifth starter on this team.

Viciedo looks like he can hit but he won't be a major league third baseman. Hudson and Torres will be solid rotation guys but will not be more than a 3rd of 4th starter on this team any tme in the near future.

JermaineDye05
07-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Banners fly forever. I'd trade any prospect besides Beckham (who I think is crucial to winning this year too) for Fielder or Dunn. Viciedo, Hudson, Torres, Mitchel, etc....all tradeable.

Kenny is one of the best GMs in the game. When he trades a prospect we almost always get the better end of the deal, even for a rent a player. The closest any ex-Sox prospect has come to burning us is Chris Young...who strikes out way too much and was key to us landing Carlos Quinten when AZ though they were set in OF...and Gio Gonzalez...who would be a fifth starter on this team.

Viciedo looks like he can hit but he won't be a major league third baseman. Hudson and Torres will be solid rotation guys but will not be more than a 3rd of 4th starter on this team any tme in the near future.

I'd argue that Clayton Richard has done pretty well in San Diego as well.

Hitmen77
07-24-2010, 11:51 PM

I really find this hard to believe.

Even if it were true (and our lack of minor league talent makes me highly doubtful), it seems quite out of character for KW to "say" this to anybody.

gr8mexico
07-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Well Prince would only have to DH some games this year because I really dont see Konerko coming back if Prince is here.

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2010, 01:06 AM

Anybody else feel this way?Me. And the 2011 year is going to be priced on arbitration, so the cost should be substantial.

delben91
07-25-2010, 01:07 AM
I'd argue that Clayton Richard has done pretty well in San Diego as well.

Clayton Richard > Jake Peavy?

I get the health concerns with Jake, but if I had to pick one or the other on April 5th of this year, I know who I'd pick.

I suppose you could argue KW got the "lesser" return on that trade since Jake only pitched half a season....

JermaineDye05
07-25-2010, 01:51 AM
Clayton Richard > Jake Peavy?

I get the health concerns with Jake, but if I had to pick one or the other on April 5th of this year, I know who I'd pick.

I suppose you could argue KW got the "lesser" return on that trade since Jake only pitched half a season....

What happened to Jake was unfortunate, but I'd take him over Clayton Richard still.

kittle42
07-25-2010, 02:27 AM
What happened to Jake was unfortunate, but I'd take him over Clayton Richard still.

So would any person who hasn't been beaten about the head with pots, pans, and rocks.

oeo
07-25-2010, 03:37 AM
Doubt this means anything because Kenny would never say how he felt one or the other. But the fact that he wants Fielder scares me. It's going to cost an arm and a leg and would not be worth it for this year or next. Of course having that kind of bat would be great, but it's not realistic.

hawkjt
07-25-2010, 09:36 AM
I would like to have Ryan Sweeney out in right field(I know,he is hurt,but he has hit around .300 since going to the A's) and Gio in our rotation.
The Swisher trade was the worst of the bunch in terms of recent trades.

Note: Sweeney,who is our of Cedar Rapids,Iowa, has a little brother who just got drafted in the second round,by Philly,I believe and is starting his career. This family can play.

SI1020
07-25-2010, 09:40 AM

Anybody else feel this way? Yeah I do.

tm1119
07-25-2010, 09:54 AM
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of us getting Prince. Only if we can do it with trading Quentin not Beckham and keeping Hudson. Q, Morel, Flowers, and Upchurch? That puts Prince at DH and Teahen in RF making us a much better offense.

DirtySox
07-25-2010, 09:58 AM
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of us getting Prince. Only if we can do it with trading Quentin not Beckham and keeping Hudson. Q, Morel, Flowers, and Upchurch? That puts Prince at DH and Teahen in RF making us a much better offense.

Upchurch might be a throw-in in this situation, but he isn't all that desirable anymore. Last year sucked, and the K's have all but disappeared. I've about given up on him.

doublem23
07-25-2010, 10:05 AM

I'd be OK with it either way. Both are good options, IMO. If we land a monster like Fielder, then Kenny is saying he's going all in for the next year or two. Fine by me. If he holds off and sees how some younger guys like Hudson and Viciedo develop, I'm cool with that, too. Whatever the Sox decide to do, I can see the logic, I'll be happy.

DirtySox
07-25-2010, 10:08 AM
If we land a monster like Fielder, then Kenny is saying he's going all in for the next year or two..

I hope so. I figured that was the case after acquiring Peavy/Rios. I will remain skeptical even if he does acquire him. Cutting corners in the off-season seriously perturbed me.

JermaineDye05
07-25-2010, 10:17 AM
I hope so. I figured that was the case after acquiring Peavy/Rios. I will remain skeptical even if he does acquire him. Cutting corners in the off-season seriously perturbed me.

Will Morel get a shot at 3rd next season? Given that Omar will more than likely retire and Teahen is just bad.

If the Sox don't trade him and wind up with say a Fielder, I say it could give the offense enough wiggle room to start the season with a rookie at 3rd.

JohnTucker0814
07-25-2010, 10:20 AM
I would love love love to have Prince Fielder! He is kind of a favorite of mine and for him to be on the Sox would be fantastic!

I know Konerko would be gone after this year if that happened, and I'm fine with that!

I'd get a Fielder jersey the day he's traded to the Sox! Even if it's just a rent-a-player!

BTW the line-up would be INSANE!!!

1. Pierre 2. Vizquel 3. Rios 4. Fielder 5. Konerko 6. Quentin 7. Ramirez 8. Pierzynski 9. Beckham

That could possibly be the best line-up in all of baseball... better than NY and better than Phi with Utley!

Domeshot17
07-25-2010, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't trade Beckham for Fielder, but its only because of the Peavy injury. If Jake was still healthy I would go for it, its almost the Blackhawks line of thinking, just make 1-2 really heavy runs at a title. Gordon is a fine player, but he isn't going to be a superstar, and probably doesn't have the bat to carry a team to a title. It was fun thinking he could be Evan Longoria good, but for comparison, he is probably a lot more Ben Zobrist. Very nice hitter, does a lot well, but he can't be the best hitter or probably 2nd best hitter on a title team. Fielder is a bat you can ride. But knowing we don't go big on player salaries, its a lock we wouldn't keep him.

hawkjt
07-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Look at Kelly Johnson's numbers compared to Fielder...

Johnson: .280,16 hr,49 rbis, .370 Oba,.505 slugging, .875 OPS
Fielder: .264,24 hrs,46 rbis, not sure of these stats .905 OPS

Fielder would cost Carlos,or Beckham,Hudson,ect. plus 18 million over the next 1.5 years probably.

Johnson would cost a low-level minor leaguer and around 800k the rest of the season.

I hope kenny goes small....with a Johnson or Luke Scott.

Domeshot17
07-25-2010, 10:27 AM

Fielder would cost Carlos,or Beckham,Hudson,ect. plus 18 million over the next 1.5 years probably.

Johnson would cost a low-level minor leaguer and around 800k the rest of the season.

Kelly Johnson would not come cheap at all, especially being signed for next season.

JermaineDye05
07-25-2010, 10:28 AM

Yeah, but Fielder has hit 40+ HR in two of his past three seasons and 100+ RBI in all three of those. Knowing you have Fielder for another year after this gives a HUGE boost to this ballclub.

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Johnson will not cost a low level minor leaguer.

JohnTucker0814
07-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Well Jose Bautista is having a better year than Fielder too, HOWEVER....

Fielder has proven over several years that he is a top power hitter in all of baseball. If i'm going to give up the farm I want a guy that will probably be great the entire time we have him.

I wouldn't want to get stuck with the old Kelly Johnson for the rest of his contract.

Plus Fielder would go into the #4 spot in the order... Kelly Johnson would be maybe 6th in the order....

tm1119
07-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Kelly Johnson would not come cheap at all, especially being signed for next season.

Johnson signed a 1 year 2.5 mil contract with AZ with no options. Plus Kelly Johnson would not be hard to get even if he was signed for 6 years for cheap. He's a league average player at best that happens to be having a career year
right now that we could make the most of. It's highly unlikely that Johnson will be with AZ next year when some team sees his numbers from he this year and overpay for him. He'll then go back to hitting his usual .270 with 12 hrs.

Zisk77
07-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Well, I'm all for keeping Beckham, but an option might be trade for Johnson and sign him to an extension and trade Beckham in a package for Dunn/Fielder. It would be better than just trading for Dunn/Fielder I guess.

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Johnson signed a 1 year 2.5 mil contract with AZ with no options. Plus Kelly Johnson would not be hard to get even if he was signed for 6 years for cheap. He's a league average player at best that happens to be having a career year
right now that we could make the most of. It's highly unlikely that Johnson will be with AZ next year when some team sees his numbers from he this year and overpay for him. He'll then go back to hitting his usual .270 with 12 hrs.
That's called buying high. Helium. Inflated value. Et cetera.

tm1119
07-25-2010, 02:09 PM

I understand that, but in order for them to drive up the price there would need to be multiple suitors. The Tigers and Phillies are the only 2 teams that I could see even considering going after Johnson, but I doubt either team settles for him. Both teams tend to go after the bigger fish. Im sure the Dbacks will take whatever they can get rather than letting him walk, unless they intend on resigning him but I doubt it. Theres no way we would have to trade a top 10 prospect for Kelly Johnson.

DirtySox
07-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Tigers interested in Dunn too.

http://twitter.com/washingnats/status/19515478135

Brian26
07-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Keep this in mind- if the Sox send Viciedo to Milwaukee, they would be clearing about $6.5 million off the books based on my quick math (about 2.33 yrs left on a 4yr/$11 million contract). It makes the Fielder salary a bit easier to swallow.

dickallen15
07-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Keep this in mind- if the Sox send Viciedo to Milwaukee, they would be clearing about $6.5 million off the books based on my quick math (about 2.33 yrs left on a 4yr/$11 million contract). It makes the Fielder salary a bit easier to swallow.

He received a $5 million bonus and they paid him $1 million last year and about $500k this. Its very little "savings" especially considered he's locked up through his arb years.

As to all the Fielder vs. Scott and Kelly Johnson talk, its a pretty good assumption Fielder will blast some more homers and be Prince Fielder the rest of this year. There's a decent chance these other guys will fall of a cliff and give you relatively no production for the rest of the season if acquired.

I don't see KW getting Fielder. I think all the talk about Fielder to the Sox was to attempt to light a fire under the Washington GM.

PalehosePlanet
07-25-2010, 02:51 PM

I'm with you 100%. I don't know why we HAVE to have a left handed bat. We need another bat, period. If we deal with Milwaukee, I'd rather go after Corey Hart. Also, Jorge Cantu would probably be cheaper than Hart and could definitely help us.

Yes, ideally, a left handed bat is what we need. But if the prices are too high, start looking elsewhere.

Pablo_Honey
07-25-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm with you 100%. I don't know why we HAVE to have a left handed bat. We need another bat, period. If we deal with Milwaukee, I'd rather go after Corey Hart. Also, Jorge Cantu would probably be cheaper than Hart and could definitely help us.
Neither Hart or Cantu is a big time slugger with a good plate discipline although they'd be nice to have. I am opposed to trading for Hart as his value is heavily inflated by a career year. He would cost us Hudson and I'd rather not do that.

hi im skot
07-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Important question - does Cora give up his #28 for Fielder?

JermaineDye05
07-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Important question - does Cora give up his #28 for Fielder?

More important question: will he have to?

This just feels like another anticlimactic deadline.

goon
07-26-2010, 12:28 AM

Butt-naked. Ill. Sherms. Dust. PCP. Primos. P-Dog. That's what you had. Et cetera.

Johnson is 28 years old, GM's know his value, Arizona knows his value, what he's done this year doesn't increase it all that much. Had he done what he has this season, say, 3 years ago, yes, his stock would be much higher. If he was on the trading block, anyone scoping him out are going to point directly to his numbers with Atlanta and his injury histroy. He can be had pretty cheap. I doubt it would take much more than a high RP prospect and a lower level prospect to bag him.

Craig Grebeck
07-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Butt-naked. Ill. Sherms. Dust. PCP. Primos. P-Dog. That's what you had. Et cetera.

Johnson is 28 years old, GM's know his value, Arizona knows his value, what he's done this year doesn't increase it all that much. Had he done what he has this season, say, 3 years ago, yes, his stock would be much higher. If he was on the trading block, anyone scoping him out are going to point directly to his numbers with Atlanta and his injury histroy. He can be had pretty cheap. I doubt it would take much more than a high RP prospect and a lower level prospect to bag him.
Then we agree. I think the scenario you outlined in your last sentence is much more than he would have cost without this career season.

doublem23
07-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Then we agree. I think the scenario you outlined in your last sentence is much more than he would have cost without this career season.

Oh, come on, you have no idea what the D-backs are up to, they've basically made every wrong move you can make over the last few years. We can argue about players worth until the cows come home, but there's no way anyone could have predicted how little it would take to get Dan Haren or how little the Sox had to pay, in terms of players, to land Jake Peavy.

Trying to predict the behavior of rational GMs is hard enough. Trying to predict what totally ****ed up organizations like the Diamondbacks will do is impossible.

goon
07-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Oh, come on, you have no idea what the D-backs are up to, they've basically made every wrong move you can make over the last few years. We can argue about players worth until the cows come home, but there's no way anyone could have predicted how little it would take to get Dan Haren or how little the Sox had to pay, in terms of players, to land Jake Peavy.

Trying to predict the behavior of rational GMs is hard enough. Trying to predict what totally ****ed up organizations like the Diamondbacks will do is impossible.

It's not as simple as just looking up stats online and determining value based on numbers, situations outside the lines sometimes conflict with what you see on the field.

I recall listening to a podcast, I think it was the BS Report, a few months ago and the host was interviewing an analyst/insider, whatever. In the mid 2000's there was a fairly large SP free agent, but none of the teams wanted to sign him because he had a significant drinking problem. He was eventually signed, out of the game a short time after that.

As fans, we think it's so easy to point to a player and say, "why hasn't he been picked up?", GM's and organizations, even the lesser ones, have a much better knowledge of the players they acquire and trade then fans.

doublem23
07-26-2010, 11:26 AM
It's not as simple as just looking up stats online and determining value based on numbers, situations outside the lines sometimes conflict with what you see on the field.

I recall listening to a podcast, I think it was the BS Report, a few months ago and the host was interviewing an analyst/insider, whatever. In the mid 2000's there was a fairly large SP free agent, but none of the teams wanted to sign him because he had a significant drinking problem. He was eventually signed, out of the game a short time after that.

As fans, we think it's so easy to point to a player and say, "why hasn't he been picked up?", GM's and organizations, even the lesser ones, have a much better knowledge of the players they acquire and trade then fans.

I think that point is really overblown nowadays thanks to the internet. You're obviously talking about Sidney Ponson, whose drunken antics were know for years.

It's not that, it's just applying your own standards to other people. I know what I would want in return for Kelly Johnson if I were the D-Backs, but that doesn't mean that's what the D-backs will want. This becomes especially challenging when you consider the D-backs are one of the 3-5 worst run baseball franchises right now. They flat out suck. God only knows which gears are turning in Arizona. They basically just gave away Dan Haren for nothing, whose to say what they're up to.

Zisk77
07-26-2010, 11:41 AM
I think that point is really overblown nowadays thanks to the internet. You're obviously talking about Sidney Ponson, whose drunken antics were know for years.

It's not that, it's just applying your own standards to other people. I know what I would want in return for Kelly Johnson if I were the D-Backs, but that doesn't mean that's what the D-backs will want. This becomes especially challenging when you consider the D-backs are one of the 3-5 worst run baseball franchises right now. They flat out suck. God only knows which gears are turning in Arizona. They basically just gave away Dan Haren for nothing, whose to say what they're up to.

I wouldn't say they gave away Haren for nothing. True the 3 prospects may be underwhelming but they got a quality Starter (albeit a # 3 as opposed to #1) back who I believe is both younger and cheaper.

Kind of like if we traded Floyd and 3 pospects from our farm.

goon
07-26-2010, 11:47 AM

Actually, it wasn't Ponson, his troubles were pretty much public knowledge (doesn't he have like 3 DUI's?)and he was pitching even last year. Not sure if it was anyone who was "good" just a player most fanbases didn't know had a problem.

It's just an example that organizations know a lot more about the player's involved in transactions then common baseball fans do. Whether they make smart decisions has nothing to do with the matter. Johnson's value and what it takes to acquire him is up to the organization that trades for him and Arizona. However, to think that anyone in MLB offices look at Johnson based on what he has done in THIS year alone and expect this type of production next season and the season after that... organizations just aren't that dumb.

They know what he is, if they are overpaying for him, then they know they are going to overpay for him. He's been in the league long enough to know what kind of production he's going to give a team.

Rockabilly
07-26-2010, 12:02 PM
3 team deal ?

Between the Sox, Az and Wash

y2j2785
07-26-2010, 12:02 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/edwin-jacksonadam-dunn-threeteam-rumor.html

Potential Three Way between Sox, Nats, and Dbacks with Dunn coming to Chicago

getonbckthr
07-26-2010, 12:12 PM
3 team deal ?

Between the Sox, Az and Wash

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/edwin-jacksonadam-dunn-threeteam-rumor.html

Potential Three Way between Sox, Nats, and Dbacks with Dunn coming to Chicago
Im curious as to what kind of prospects we would need to give up.

thomas35forever
07-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Interesting. I'd have to see if we could get a starting pitcher in this deal before hopping on board with it.

hawkjt
07-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Interesting. I'd have to see if we could get a starting pitcher in this deal before hopping on board with it.

Dunn and a starting pitcher for ''pitching prospects''? Guess you want your car waxed while we're at it? C'mon, getting Dunn would be a lot to expect,but a starter to boot?...not likely.

The Immigrant
07-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Dunn and a starting pitcher for ''pitching prospects''? Guess you want your car waxed while we're at it?

:roflmao:

soxfanreggie
07-26-2010, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the only way we land Dunn is with a 3rd team being involved. I would like to mow what Az would want in return from our system though. They could really stock up for a young talented team that's ready in a few years, but that's with the guys they're acquiring panning out.

If we acquire either of these guys, I don't see PK coming back unless he gives up a big chunk. He'd have a decision to make - stay here for a lot less or go somewhere else that's looking to see if he can still go .280-30-85 for the next two years. I think there would be a decent demand for PK at say, 2 years, $16-20M.

LoveYourSuit
07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the only way we land Dunn is with a 3rd team being involved. I would like to mow what Az would want in return from our system though. They could really stock up for a young talented team that's ready in a few years, but that's with the guys they're acquiring panning out.

If we acquire either of these guys, I don't see PK coming back unless he gives up a big chunk. He'd have a decision to make - stay here for a lot less or go somewhere else that's looking to see if he can still go .280-30-85 for the next two years. I think there would be a decent demand for PK at say, 2 years, $16-20M.

For sure.

I would not be surprised if someone even gurantees him a 3rd season.

Zisk77
07-27-2010, 09:49 AM
For sure.

I would not be surprised if someone even gurantees him a 3rd season.

Really? In This economy. What did Bobby Abreu sign for twice in the the past 2 years for with the Angels? I'd be shocked if anybody threw 16 mil at Paulie for a two year deal. 16 for three maybe.