PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Johnson

tm1119
07-24-2010, 11:22 PM
We should really make 1 thread for all of these one day, but oh well.....

So far this season his line is .283/.373/.512. I thought he was a complete fluke, but hes actually hitting .379 so far in July so hes really not slowing down any. He signed a 1 year 2.5m contract with AZ with no options, so that would cost us all of what, .5mil for the rest of the year? He is also neither a type A or B FA, so we wouldnt have to worry about having to best any draft pick value. I doubt hes expected back with AZ so they would have no problem trading him for whatever they can get more or less. Plus we all know KW's love for trading with AZ.

Just adding another cheap LH bat option to the mix. Would anybody be opposed to trading for Johnson, and what do you think it would take to get him?

doublem23
07-24-2010, 11:25 PM
The D-Backs are going through all sorts of front office upheaval right now so it's probably hard to gauge what they'll be up to. I could definitely see a low-key move for Johnson. Only problem is that he's basically exclusively a 2B in his career. But his bat definitely fits in our offense.

tm1119
07-24-2010, 11:37 PM
The D-Backs are going through all sorts of front office upheaval right now so it's probably hard to gauge what they'll be up to. I could definitely see a low-key move for Johnson. Only problem is that he's basically exclusively a 2B in his career. But his bat definitely fits in our offense.

He did see time in LF for the Braves in '05, not sure how that went though. But yeah, his bat is what I was mainly thinking of. Just a cheap DH option for the stretch run that would surely help our offense. Teahen plays RF(and the occasional 3B) while Q DH's in against LH, and Q plays RF while Johnson DH's against RH. Or something along those lines. Again, just throwing out another realistic bat option.

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2010, 11:40 PM
If I remember correctly, Kelly was converted from the OF to 2B. He can spend time in the outfield.

Pablo_Honey
07-24-2010, 11:45 PM
If I remember correctly, Kelly was converted from the OF to 2B. He can spend time in the outfield.
I just looked it up and it seems he was originally a shortstop, then converted to outfield, then got a TJ on his throwing arm, and then moved to second base. I wouldn't mind his bat though. A solid all-around hitter who shouldn't cost us much.

Slappy
07-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Beckham and whoever else for Prince Fielder and I dunno, Jordan Danks for Kelly Johnson? Sign me up.

hawkjt
07-25-2010, 10:57 AM
I would prefer a move like this to a splash trade that costs us any of our top young prospects.

Gotta admit, cannot remember ever seeing this guy play,but numbers look decent. Like with Blum in 05, sometimes you are better off just tweaking.

16 homers and 49 rbis? Solid. I would like this move.

SephClone89
07-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Beckham and whoever else for Prince Fielder and I dunno, Jordan Danks for Kelly Johnson? Sign me up.

:?:

balke
07-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Kelly Johnson is playing way over his head. I don't really see how he's worth picking up.

kittle42
07-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Given what the Diamondbacks got for Haren, maybe we could trade Kotsay for Johnson! :D:

kjhanson
07-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Given what the Diamondbacks got for Haren, maybe we could trade Kotsay for Johnson! :D:

Yeah, they got robbed. They only got a 29 year-old former 17-game winner for someone who has a 4.60 ERA in the N.L., has given up 23 HR in 141 IP and has given up more than three earned runs in eight of 21 starts this season. Not to mention they save $2MM.

By comparison, no Sox starter has given up at least three earned runs in more than seven starts this season.

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah, they got robbed. They only got a 29 year-old former 17-game winner for someone who has a 4.60 ERA in the N.L., has given up 23 HR in 141 IP and has given up more than three earned runs in eight of 21 starts this season. Not to mention they save $2MM.

By comparison, no Sox starter has given up at least three earned runs in more than seven starts this season.
In what world do we still measure pitching prowess by games won? Saunders sucks. Stupid deal.

kittle42
07-25-2010, 06:54 PM

Congrats - you may be the only person who thinks Arizona didn't get hosed here!

And looking at Saunders' good year while ignoring Haren's body of work is laughable. Oh, and Haren is 29, too.

Pablo_Honey
07-25-2010, 06:57 PM
You are displaying a case of double standards here. First you point out Saunders' success in the past. All right, that's perfectly fine but then you criticize Haren for struggling this season whilst not bringing up his past success. Haren is a much much much much much much much better pitcher than Saunders. If you think he's an NL pitcher, check what team he pitched for before the D-backs.

kittle42
07-25-2010, 06:59 PM
You are displaying a case of double standards here. First you point out Saunders' success in the past. All right, that's perfectly fine but then you criticize Haren for struggling this season whilst not bringing up his past success. Haren is a much much much much much much much better pitcher than Saunders. If you think he's an NL pitcher, check what team he pitched for before the D-backs.

Thank you!